or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Case Against Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Case Against Apple - Page 3

post #31 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Sure, there are limitations on my MacBook and iPhone. But they work as advertised.
untrue, Apple have already had an advert pulled in the U.K. for misrepresenting the capabilities of the iphone.

The iphone most certainly did not work as advertised in that case.
post #32 of 117
Microsoft and Apple operate on maximizing profits (ethics need not apply) like any other company. The guy's a fool if he really thought Job's was on a crusade or whatever. That was just an imagine thing which apparently worked like a charm on him. It's no different than the newer commercials that try to make Apple the trendy, relaxed guy while IBM is the old uptight guy. Jobs will do whatever it takes to gain power and money. It's as simple as that. People don't realize this?

I'd imagine he also feels that he is in good hands with Allstate, or that State Farm is going to be there like a good neighbor.
post #33 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer1975 View Post
untrue, Apple have already had an advert pulled in the U.K. for misrepresenting the capabilities of the iphone.

The iphone most certainly did not work as advertised in that case.
Whenever I see an iPhone commercial with the "sequences shortened" disclaimer at the end, I wonder how they can get away with selling their product based on its "speed" while showing it operating in a way that it simply cannot.
post #34 of 117
Points 1,2,3,4 and 5 are all null and void for me- I'm not living in the States (therefore can't use AT&T, we have Rogers which is worse), my phone is a 1st gen Moto RAZR which pretty much can't run any decent apps at all, etc.

In fact, this article should be titled "the case against the iPhone". I don't have nay problem with the products they make that I actually use- I own an 80 gig iPod and am typing this on a new 13" Macbook pro. My last laptop was an iBook. I like OS-X much more than Windows, but sure, I'll try Win7. Why not.
post #35 of 117
I think the article writer is more upset the Jobs didn't love him back.
post #36 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer1975 View Post
untrue, Apple have already had an advert pulled in the U.K. for misrepresenting the capabilities of the iphone.

The iphone most certainly did not work as advertised in that case.
Didn't the UK also level charges against Ribena for misrepresenting how nutritious blackcurrants were or some such?

Ribena is extremely delightful.
post #37 of 117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
You might have been able to make that argument 10 or 15 years ago, but not today.

What you're doing is comparing the absolutely cheapest PC to Apple products. If you compare similarly-equipped machines of similar quality, there isn't that much of a difference.
Yeah there isn't much difference, except you pay a hell of a premium to Apple. Same hardware, same processing/computational power, far more expensive. And that somehow makes sense?

And nowhere did he state what kind of hardware he's comparing so how can you say he's comparing the cheapest PC to apple products?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Also, isn't this the OP's fourth or fifth "I hate Apple" thread?

Look, we get it already.
The topic of the thread makes it quite obvious what its about. If you're a fan of apple and they can do no wrong as you seem to think so, you don't have to click on it.

If you think they're a monopoly thats pushing interoperability backwards as I do, then you'd do something to bring that fact to light instead of all the 'Apple just works better' bull that keeps perpetuating over and over, as if its the only grace and is actually quantifiable. Much like the supposed wonder Amarra software that somehow makes a Mac sound better then a PC but neither the designers nor the retailers can actually say any one thing it actually does better.
post #38 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Much like the supposed wonder Amarra software that somehow makes a Mac sound better then a PC but neither the designers nor the retailers can actually say any one thing it actually does better.
"Bojamijams is in a tight spot ... defenders are closing in... and he laterals! We haven't seen a move like this in years, Jim!"

"Oh, you're right about that, Al. That was a total directional shift -- a real game-changer!"
post #39 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post

If you think they're a monopoly thats pushing interoperability backwards as I do, then you'd do something to bring that fact to light instead of all the 'Apple just works better' bull that keeps perpetuating over and over, as if its the only grace and is actually quantifiable. Much like the supposed wonder Amarra software that somehow makes a Mac sound better then a PC but neither the designers nor the retailers can actually say any one thing it actually does better.
You don't understand what Monopoly means if you think Apple has one. They don't have one in the computer market, the phone market or the mp3 market (even if they sell a whole whack of daps world wide).

Spec a Macbook Pro 17" and go spec the same thing from Lenovo or Dell or Toshiba, come back with the prices, then, compare the Operating systems ANd the cost of using the software over the life of the product.

Macs are cheaper when all things are considered. For those that want an absolutely budget PC then yeah, Apple is not your bag because they don't play that market. Nothing wrong with that.
post #40 of 117
How is Apple a monopoly? There are numerous computing choices other than Apple. Dictating how their products are used does not make them a monopoly. If they were the only choice in computers, then they would be a monopoly.
post #41 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Yeah there isn't much difference, except you pay a hell of a premium to Apple. Same hardware, same processing/computational power, far more expensive. And that somehow makes sense?

And nowhere did he state what kind of hardware he's comparing so how can you say he's comparing the cheapest PC to apple products?



The topic of the thread makes it quite obvious what its about. If you're a fan of apple and they can do no wrong as you seem to think so, you don't have to click on it.

If you think they're a monopoly thats pushing interoperability backwards as I do, then you'd do something to bring that fact to light instead of all the 'Apple just works better' bull that keeps perpetuating over and over, as if its the only grace and is actually quantifiable. Much like the supposed wonder Amarra software that somehow makes a Mac sound better then a PC but neither the designers nor the retailers can actually say any one thing it actually does better.
Try Sony and Lenovo laptops. I also considered them to run Linux. I found prices comparable for models of similar quality. I went with Apple because I need iTunes to sync the iPhone (Windows is not an option) and iPod. It works out fine.

I never said that Apple can do no wrong. There's plenty. To start at the beginning, the Apple III and Lisa were mistakes. I downgraded from System 7 because of the missing file bug, the IIvx/IIvi thing was pretty awful, and much else. More recently, I had problems with the iPhone 2.0 software's stability at first and the pricing drop for the first gen iPhone hurt.

I stay with Apple because they've provided me with 30 years of good products. I forgive mistakes if they're addressed, which Apply typically does. If they should turn flaky - like another company I could mention - I already have a foot in the open source camp.

Monopoly? Are you serious? Something like 6% of the market is a monopoly? Would you mind explaining?

And why do you obsess over a company you dislike? Are you looking for attention or do you not have anything better to do? Why is it necessary to post every last bit of negativity you can find regarding products you don't own? Is it to provoke people? Do you think it's funny when you can get people to react?
post #42 of 117
I cannot understand passionately hating a company this much. When I get to a certain level of dissatisfaction I simply just walk away. I did, in 2005 when I bought my last PC.
post #43 of 117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
Try Sony and Lenovo laptops. I also considered them to run Linux. I found prices comparable for models of similar quality. I went with Apple because I need iTunes to sync the iPhone (Windows is not an option) and iPod. It works out fine.

I never said that Apple can do no wrong. There's plenty. To start at the beginning, the Apple III and Lisa were mistakes. I downgraded from System 7 because of the missing file bug, the IIvx/IIvi thing was pretty awful, and much else. More recently, I had problems with the iPhone 2.0 software's stability at first and the pricing drop for the first gen iPhone hurt.

I stay with Apple because they've provided me with 30 years of good products. I forgive mistakes if they're addressed, which Apply typically does. If they should turn flaky - like another company I could mention - I already have a foot in the open source camp.

Monopoly? Are you serious? Something like 6% of the market is a monopoly? Would you mind explaining?

And why do you obsess over a company you dislike? Are you looking for attention or do you not have anything better to do? Why is it necessary to post every last bit of negativity you can find regarding products you don't own? Is it to provoke people? Do you think it's funny when you can get people to react?
I'm not really here to argue. I just wanted to post a link to an article that I think has some good points to make with a view on apple that some people want to see, as its not the rosy oh so shiny picture that apple paints.

And I've owned an imod and now an iphone. I use them because they're the best at sound reproduction, which is the main thing I go for and why I'm on here. However having to deal with itunes on the pc to use this phone fully is a nightmare.

The practice that Apple employs, with bundling with AT&T and forcing people to go with a carrier that gouges people because they can, combined with the fact that their store policy changes on whim whenever a potential competitor comes out, is a truth that needs to be told and apple does not want told.

Apple does not want competition of any sorts with its hardware of software. They will do whatever it takes to halt that, both legal and illegal.
post #44 of 117
At least they weren't responsible for Vista.
post #45 of 117
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Case Against Apple