Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Thinking of getting the beats by dre
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of getting the beats by dre

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
Well im into getting my first pair of headphones and im still looking for some good ones with great strong bass and good build quality, also that they wont be too big.

i was thinking of the Monster beats, but i have not seen anyone here talking about them why is that?are they worth it?
They are super well designed and come with really good accessories so thats also a plus on why im thinking of getting them.
thanks
price is $299, im not spending more then that..
post #2 of 66
General consensus here is that for the price, you can find better headphones.

I have personaly tried the beats at Future Shop. They don't sound too bad. Definitely geared towards hip-hop/R&B. The biggest flaw with the beats is the build quality. You can tell as soon as you pick them up that they are going to fall apart a few months of good use down the road. Maybe they will improve with the next model...

Look at some of the customer reviews at Best Buy, Future Shop, etc. and you will see that half of the customers say the left earcup has fallen off.
post #3 of 66
In answer to your post title question: no, I'm not.
post #4 of 66
I'm no expert on bass heavy phones, but I've heard the Monster Beats, and I didn't like them, especially for $300. For $300, you can get much better headphones.

I can't really recommend too much on what you want, but I liked the new closed can Shures when I listened to them at CanJam. I think the model is SRH840 for the top of the series, and its about $200.
post #5 of 66
The reason you don't see much about the Beats here is because they're lousy. Noise cancelling has a way of cancelling stuff you do want to hear and the tonal balance is off. Build quality is OK, but not as good as other headphones for that price. Yes, I have listened to them.

Do yourself a favor and consider other headphones before you buy them. They sound good to anyone who hasn't heard other headphones in that price range, but that's about it.

If you want heavy bass, try one of the Denons or the Beyerdynamic DT770. Those have a significant following here while the Beats do not. There's a good reason for that.
post #6 of 66
Thread Starter 
ok what about the denon ahd1001k? for $100 seems nice
post #7 of 66
Damn, you're one lazy forum member.
post #8 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios View Post
ok what about the denon ahd1001k? for $100 seems nice
If they interest you, you should at LEAST consiter the D2000 model, that's really where the fun is at, and it's the same build (minus the woodies) as their flagship D7000. Bass is very present and fun, as is the phones. Comfort is top-notch as well.
post #9 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by atothex View Post
Damn, you're one lazy forum member.
I see posts like this all the time on this forum.

When my Mom was elderly, her next door neighbor, who'd lived next to her for probably 40 years, used to call and enthusiastically tell her there were deer in the yard. There were deer in the yard all the time. My Mom couldn't understand why Mildred would always call about the deer. I told her that maybe she just wanted to talk and the deer provided her with an excuse.

I think a lot of people who post on this forum just want to participate and interact. Yeah, they could find the info and never talk to anybody. I'm sure some really are just lazy. But you gotta admit, there are a zillion unnecessary, meaningless posts of every stripe in these discussions. How many times can one poster chime in to denounce a particular phone. Do they really need to do that? Since they're not being lazy, is their pot-stirring somehow more ok?

I guess I should copy this to Word so I can post it everytime this comes up, but I only really needed to say it once.
post #10 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushNerd View Post
If they interest you, you should at LEAST consiter the D2000 model, that's really where the fun is at, and it's the same build (minus the woodies) as their flagship D7000. Bass is very present and fun, as is the phones. Comfort is top-notch as well.
ok well i dont want to spend money on an amp right now, how good will they be with just my macbook pro? i think i have an intel high definition sound card.

do they have a good strong bass? i listen to rock,punk,pop,alternative some classical, hip hop..
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandlePower View Post
I see posts like this all the time on this forum.

When my Mom was elderly, her next door neighbor, who'd lived next to her for probably 40 years, used to call and enthusiastically tell her there were deer in the yard. There were deer in the yard all the time. My Mom couldn't understand why Mildred would always call about the deer. I told her that maybe she just wanted to talk and the deer provided her with an excuse.

I think a lot of people who post on this forum just want to participate and interact. Yeah, they could find the info and never talk to anybody. I'm sure some really are just lazy. But you gotta admit, there are a zillion unnecessary, meaningless posts of every stripe in these discussions. How many times can one poster chime in to denounce a particular phone. Do they really need to do that? Since they're not being lazy, is their pot-stirring somehow more ok?

I guess I should copy this to Word so I can post it everytime this comes up, but I only really needed to say it once.
I rate this post @1,000,000Candle Power ^_^!! Nice story.
post #12 of 66
Thread Starter 
i did find this thread, too late i guess
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bea...10/index2.html

sorry i guess i spend too much time at the apple store where they have a million beats lol.

edit: i also see that the D2k have a cloth cable? im horrified by those cables because of my klipsch custom 3's cloth cables. is it an issue? thanks
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios View Post
edit: i also see that the D2k have a cloth cable? im horrified by those cables because of my klipsch custom 3's cloth cables. is it an issue? thanks
I assume you're worried about the microphonic qualities of the cable sheath? It should not be a problem, as these aren't plugged directly into your ear canal.

If your concern was for other reasons, then I don't know.
post #14 of 66
Thread Starter 
no im worried it will split or crack
post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandlePower View Post
I see posts like this all the time on this forum.

When my Mom was elderly, her next door neighbor, who'd lived next to her for probably 40 years, used to call and enthusiastically tell her there were deer in the yard. There were deer in the yard all the time. My Mom couldn't understand why Mildred would always call about the deer. I told her that maybe she just wanted to talk and the deer provided her with an excuse.

I think a lot of people who post on this forum just want to participate and interact. Yeah, they could find the info and never talk to anybody. I'm sure some really are just lazy. But you gotta admit, there are a zillion unnecessary, meaningless posts of every stripe in these discussions. How many times can one poster chime in to denounce a particular phone. Do they really need to do that? Since they're not being lazy, is their pot-stirring somehow more ok?

I guess I should copy this to Word so I can post it everytime this comes up, but I only really needed to say it once.
I couldn't have said it better myself. If everybody discourages posting, then nothing ever gets done. We get a few opinions and nothing more. On top of that, forums can be fun and all that!

I myself love forum boards for the info they possess and the conversation in general, plus sometimes, getting answers to a persons peculiar situation is required. Bluntly: I hate it when people bitch people out for posting and wasting their time doing so, when they could have just answered the question.

Next in line, OP: If you like the beats ,you seem to like bass heavy headphones and Isolation. Consider Sony headphones, for starters, my MDR-V6 are great build quality, almost capable of lasting forever if you ask me, and the sound is top notch for the dollar. You'll get slighly recessed mids and highs, but really good bass. And by slighty, I mean in comparison to headphones like the HD205, it's better, and ATH-AD700, phones known to be lacking in bass (although I disagree), is slightly worse. I know I reccomend these phones a lot but I want to stick with what I know.

To clarify, I did not like the beats. My girlfriend did, but there's bound to be headphones out there that beats them for her and I'm hoping our head-fi meed does reveal something about her tastes. She's probably more concerned with comfort. They look terrible, don't fit right, sound _OKAY_, and have apparent quality issues. For 300$? NFW

Alternatively, if you can get around the comfort of them (it didn't bother me and I intend to buy some) you can get some Grado's. I audiotioned what I recall were S125's.

Also in regards to the "cloth" or sheathed cable, it's for the better. It adds a bit of weight and rigidty to prevent tangling. You'll thank god you'll never have to untangle a headphone mess again. Sounds to me the denons are high quality cans. After I pick an amp and a pair of grado's I may stop there to see what I'm missing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Thinking of getting the beats by dre