Sorry to resurrect an older thread about a sensitive company, but at this point in the game, is it pretty much guaranteed that a Singlepower that was built in the last couple years will most likely need inspection/work? I heard mrarroyo's several years ago and it sounded incredible to my ears. There are several currently available at prices that surprised me and I have really wanted to try tubes, but I don't think I could afford the repairs if necessary. Am I better off going with an amp with a better reputation?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
- Headphone Impedance
Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read - Page 26
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
You already know this, but you get what you pay for. If you just want to play around and experiment it might be great. If I wanted to a component that I could buy and forget about and expect day in and day out reliability from I would look elsewhere. You are however not me and as they say, YMMV.
I would try a different manufacturer unless you are buying a rebuilt Singlepower by a know repair shop. I still have my Singlepower MPX3 SE Slam that has been made safe and I love its sound, you may want to look into Mapletree amps by Dr. Lloyd or if you want to spend the moola Red Wine Audio amps.
Claims that the earlier SinglePower amps are better built than the later ones aren't based in reality, even the first ones have serious issues. Granted, Mikhail wasn't quite as mad in the beginning so no +500VDC on normal 6SN7's fed through a 117V rated switch as the "HV option" or other crap like that.
Thanks everyone. I think I will scratch two itches at once (tubes and DIY) and try a Bottlehead Crack kit, maybe a Bijou. Added bonus of learning more about how tubes work by DIY.
Sounds like a good plan, enjoy.
I have a Singlepower MPX3-slam and I was wondering if anyone could tell if this is one of the safe ones? Never had much trouble with it, except for some noise in the right channel every now and then. It gets quite hot but I've used it for years..
They are hex (or Allen keys) and a small imperial size. To make matters worse the screws are glued in place as Mikhail didn't want anybody to see what was inside.
If it has been fixed by somebody who knows what he's doing then it's a good amp. If it's still stock and/or gone over "by my tube tech" or some such nonsense, stay away.
Thanks for that, there is one listing in the F/S section which I assume is a slightly later model (2006) by Mikhail as it comes with the HV option and supposedly it's been working fine since the user bought it back 6 years ago. Although I have no experience fixing up Single power amp's, I'm willing to open it up and post pictures here for you guys to see if part's have been wired up within spec or properly. I feel at worse it will be needing a rebuild or such.
- Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 1 minute ago
- › The scientific merit of Pono 1 minute ago
- › NAD Viso HP 50 Black 1 minute ago
- › Noble 4 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 3 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 6 minutes ago
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)