Sorry to resurrect an older thread about a sensitive company, but at this point in the game, is it pretty much guaranteed that a Singlepower that was built in the last couple years will most likely need inspection/work? I heard mrarroyo's several years ago and it sounded incredible to my ears. There are several currently available at prices that surprised me and I have really wanted to try tubes, but I don't think I could afford the repairs if necessary. Am I better off going with an amp with a better reputation?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 10/4/14 at 4:50am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
HIFIMAN HE-560 ON TAP: A FIRST DAY REVIEW SAGA (HIFIMAN HE-560 TOUR IMPRESSIONS) FIRST IMPRESSIONS Wow ... what a big box! I was expecting a more economically packaged box, but once I...
- Headphone Impedance
Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read - Page 26
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
You already know this, but you get what you pay for. If you just want to play around and experiment it might be great. If I wanted to a component that I could buy and forget about and expect day in and day out reliability from I would look elsewhere. You are however not me and as they say, YMMV.
I would try a different manufacturer unless you are buying a rebuilt Singlepower by a know repair shop. I still have my Singlepower MPX3 SE Slam that has been made safe and I love its sound, you may want to look into Mapletree amps by Dr. Lloyd or if you want to spend the moola Red Wine Audio amps.
Claims that the earlier SinglePower amps are better built than the later ones aren't based in reality, even the first ones have serious issues. Granted, Mikhail wasn't quite as mad in the beginning so no +500VDC on normal 6SN7's fed through a 117V rated switch as the "HV option" or other crap like that.
Thanks everyone. I think I will scratch two itches at once (tubes and DIY) and try a Bottlehead Crack kit, maybe a Bijou. Added bonus of learning more about how tubes work by DIY.
Sounds like a good plan, enjoy.
I have a Singlepower MPX3-slam and I was wondering if anyone could tell if this is one of the safe ones? Never had much trouble with it, except for some noise in the right channel every now and then. It gets quite hot but I've used it for years..
They are hex (or Allen keys) and a small imperial size. To make matters worse the screws are glued in place as Mikhail didn't want anybody to see what was inside.
If it has been fixed by somebody who knows what he's doing then it's a good amp. If it's still stock and/or gone over "by my tube tech" or some such nonsense, stay away.
Thanks for that, there is one listing in the F/S section which I assume is a slightly later model (2006) by Mikhail as it comes with the HV option and supposedly it's been working fine since the user bought it back 6 years ago. Although I have no experience fixing up Single power amp's, I'm willing to open it up and post pictures here for you guys to see if part's have been wired up within spec or properly. I feel at worse it will be needing a rebuild or such.
- Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... just now
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 5 seconds ago
- › Destiny 1 minute ago
- › FS [MEL]: Lawton Audio LA7000 Denon7000 1 minute ago
- › A few questions about headphone amps + audio cards 1 minute ago
- › Cheap Kitchen Appliances Nottingham 2 minutes ago
- › Mr Speakers Mad Dog vs. V-Moda M100 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Used Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › FitEar Private 333 by Kiats
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)