Sorry to resurrect an older thread about a sensitive company, but at this point in the game, is it pretty much guaranteed that a Singlepower that was built in the last couple years will most likely need inspection/work? I heard mrarroyo's several years ago and it sounded incredible to my ears. There are several currently available at prices that surprised me and I have really wanted to try tubes, but I don't think I could afford the repairs if necessary. Am I better off going with an amp with a better reputation?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 1/16/17 at 10:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I am by no means an audiophile nor do I call myself one. My experience with quality audio products is very limited and so is my vocabulary on this topic. That being said I took a pair of these...
Full review can be found at: https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-high-res-player-review/ Rating The NO BULL rating system is designed to take as many aspects of the device into...
I've had a short history with headphones. My first pair of good headphones were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I will mostly be comparing these two. These headphones are much more better looking,...
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read - Page 26post #376 of 40711/11/12 at 10:43am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #377 of 40711/11/12 at 10:57amQuote:There are several currently available at prices that surprised me
You already know this, but you get what you pay for. If you just want to play around and experiment it might be great. If I wanted to a component that I could buy and forget about and expect day in and day out reliability from I would look elsewhere. You are however not me and as they say, YMMV.post #378 of 40711/12/12 at 5:18am
I would try a different manufacturer unless you are buying a rebuilt Singlepower by a know repair shop. I still have my Singlepower MPX3 SE Slam that has been made safe and I love its sound, you may want to look into Mapletree amps by Dr. Lloyd or if you want to spend the moola Red Wine Audio amps.post #379 of 40711/12/12 at 8:15am
Claims that the earlier SinglePower amps are better built than the later ones aren't based in reality, even the first ones have serious issues. Granted, Mikhail wasn't quite as mad in the beginning so no +500VDC on normal 6SN7's fed through a 117V rated switch as the "HV option" or other crap like that.post #380 of 40711/12/12 at 9:12am
Thanks everyone. I think I will scratch two itches at once (tubes and DIY) and try a Bottlehead Crack kit, maybe a Bijou. Added bonus of learning more about how tubes work by DIY.post #381 of 40711/12/12 at 10:45amQuote:
Sounds like a good plan, enjoy.post #382 of 40711/12/12 at 11:14ampost #383 of 4071/26/13 at 6:40am
I have a Singlepower MPX3-slam and I was wondering if anyone could tell if this is one of the safe ones? Never had much trouble with it, except for some noise in the right channel every now and then. It gets quite hot but I've used it for years..post #384 of 4071/26/13 at 11:56ampost #385 of 4071/28/13 at 1:25pmpost #386 of 4071/29/13 at 6:55am
They are hex (or Allen keys) and a small imperial size. To make matters worse the screws are glued in place as Mikhail didn't want anybody to see what was inside.post #387 of 4071/29/13 at 10:29ampost #388 of 4072/13/13 at 3:34ampost #389 of 4072/13/13 at 6:19am
If it has been fixed by somebody who knows what he's doing then it's a good amp. If it's still stock and/or gone over "by my tube tech" or some such nonsense, stay away.post #390 of 4072/13/13 at 2:18pmQuote:
Thanks for that, there is one listing in the F/S section which I assume is a slightly later model (2006) by Mikhail as it comes with the HV option and supposedly it's been working fine since the user bought it back 6 years ago. Although I have no experience fixing up Single power amp's, I'm willing to open it up and post pictures here for you guys to see if part's have been wired up within spec or properly. I feel at worse it will be needing a rebuild or such.
- Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 8 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 45 seconds ago
- › [FS] AK100 Mk2 Saphir + AK bumper 1 minute ago
- › Comparisons: 34 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 2 minutes ago
- › 2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO K1--smaller and better for less 3 minutes ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 7 minutes ago
- › Ibasso it03 7 minutes ago
- › Vinshine Audio DAC R2R-REF w/ soekris 8 minutes ago
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by JonnyA
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by TheoS53
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear