- 92 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I said DON'T TALK !!
i never usually write reviews, but when i do, its usually with underrated earphones/headphones, because i think they do deserve some justice. just a background, i own headphones like brainwavz,...
Rather than go into the esoteric aspects of the sound signature (not really sure if all the nomenclature actually means the same thing to everyone) I'm going to approach this review from a little...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
- Headphone Impedance
Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read - Page 25
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I had my tech complete the transformer swap and check over the rest of the amp. It received a clean bill of health. I went with the Electra Print transformer and I love the way it looks sitting on an angle parallel to the tubes and exposed for the entire world to see. I allowed the amp to burn in for the last month. The improvement in sound quality was very evident from its former condition. It is dead silent and neutral; all I hear now is the music as it should be. I will definitely be keeping this amp for a long time, now that the sound quality has improved. I was hesitant to change out the transformer, as the sound quality was good as far as I could tell. However, when I cracked open the case and removed the transformer cover I found a transformer that was beginning to fry and on its way to an early death. Therefore, anyone who has hesitated to make the repairs to their own amp thinking there is nothing wrong, you will not be disappointed once you hear the improvement in SQ and know that your SP Extreme is now safe to use. Thank you to all of those who provided input on the repairs for their own SP Extreme. Thank you to n_maher, kevin gilmore, Bolder, mourip and Skylab for your help enabling me to repair mine. Your advice helped me make the correct decisions when deciding how to turn my Singlepower Extreme into a Head-Fi Extreme.
Another alternative might be to use a transformer cover. If you have the room, these might work for you. At least they are reasonably priced.
Help needed. Does anyone know of other sources for a transformer cover on my stock Extreme?
The link above is in China, and I would like to deal with a U.S. company, if possible.
I will be putting in the edcor transformer mentioned in this thread.
Any help is much appreciated.
After being in contact with Jack about purchasing one his transformers, and being told he no longer makes and sells them,
I'm not too sure he would still be selling covers for them. He was my first choice for a transformer. His website states effective
immediately we no longer build power transformers and power chokes. He told me that he can't afford the price of copper, said
the Chinese are driving up the price.
Edcor might have something too.
edit: I see you are already working with them on the transformer, and it looks like they only provide unpainted steel end bells for DIY.
Yes, I already have the edcor transformer (painted blue bells), it took about 3 weeks to get after placing the order.
With the new transformer you might want to adjust the value of the resistor to set the tubes at 6.3 VDC
after it has been on for 10 minutes.
- Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10 3 minutes ago
- › FS: Synergistic Research USB Active SE Cable 1M 3 minutes ago
- › Jakarta Get-Together - August 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Introduction and Request of Assistance 7 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 7 minutes ago
- › [Review] Noble Audio Kaiser 10 - The Wizard Rises Again 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › What is the special sauce behind the Chord Hugo? 9 minutes ago
- › Westone Elite Series ES60 by Lorias
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by emanlee
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by shockdoc
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)