- 92 Posts. Joined 4/2010
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 5/24/14 at 11:55am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp upgrade for AH-D5000 Last post on 7/2/12 at 4:45am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22 Last post on 9/27/13 at 11:56am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Before I get started, I’d like to thank the team at Audiofly and Billy from Noisy Motel for making this tour possible. I know that the AF140s have received some criticism so far which is always a...
Disclaimer: I received my R3s for free under the condition I would write a review for them. Purchase price reflects their going rate on a popular online retailer at the time of the review. The...
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
- Headphone Impedance
Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read - Page 25
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I had my tech complete the transformer swap and check over the rest of the amp. It received a clean bill of health. I went with the Electra Print transformer and I love the way it looks sitting on an angle parallel to the tubes and exposed for the entire world to see. I allowed the amp to burn in for the last month. The improvement in sound quality was very evident from its former condition. It is dead silent and neutral; all I hear now is the music as it should be. I will definitely be keeping this amp for a long time, now that the sound quality has improved. I was hesitant to change out the transformer, as the sound quality was good as far as I could tell. However, when I cracked open the case and removed the transformer cover I found a transformer that was beginning to fry and on its way to an early death. Therefore, anyone who has hesitated to make the repairs to their own amp thinking there is nothing wrong, you will not be disappointed once you hear the improvement in SQ and know that your SP Extreme is now safe to use. Thank you to all of those who provided input on the repairs for their own SP Extreme. Thank you to n_maher, kevin gilmore, Bolder, mourip and Skylab for your help enabling me to repair mine. Your advice helped me make the correct decisions when deciding how to turn my Singlepower Extreme into a Head-Fi Extreme.
Another alternative might be to use a transformer cover. If you have the room, these might work for you. At least they are reasonably priced.
Help needed. Does anyone know of other sources for a transformer cover on my stock Extreme?
The link above is in China, and I would like to deal with a U.S. company, if possible.
I will be putting in the edcor transformer mentioned in this thread.
Any help is much appreciated.
After being in contact with Jack about purchasing one his transformers, and being told he no longer makes and sells them,
I'm not too sure he would still be selling covers for them. He was my first choice for a transformer. His website states effective
immediately we no longer build power transformers and power chokes. He told me that he can't afford the price of copper, said
the Chinese are driving up the price.
Edcor might have something too.
edit: I see you are already working with them on the transformer, and it looks like they only provide unpainted steel end bells for DIY.
Yes, I already have the edcor transformer (painted blue bells), it took about 3 weeks to get after placing the order.
With the new transformer you might want to adjust the value of the resistor to set the tubes at 6.3 VDC
after it has been on for 10 minutes.
- Warning About The Singlepower Extreme - Owners Please Read
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Thoughts on Limited Edition Shure SE215? 1 minute ago
- › Meelctronics HT-21 Like New! 1 minute ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Woody Grado/Symphones Magnums - A build diary 2 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 2 minutes ago
- › post your grado mods.... 3 minutes ago
- › Do hard drives sound different? 3 minutes ago
- › 2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list... 3 minutes ago
- › Keyboard-Fi 4 minutes ago
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)