Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SPL Phonitor Roll Call & Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SPL Phonitor Roll Call & Appreciation Thread - Page 46

post #676 of 692

Anyone had experience with SPL distributor in UK called Hand in Hand and their servicing?

post #677 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X View Post


As for orthos, I thought the LCD-2 and HE-400 sounded kinda washed out on the Auditor. This sucker doesn't have a lot of current output.

This amp has a lot of current. Enough for both orthos in my sig. I listen on 8.30 with HE-4 and on 8 o'clock with HE-500. I tried a speaker amp and didn't get anything more, only less in terms f transparency.
I have my Auditor and Ref5 always on since a couple days ago and now the sound is even better.

I noticed one interesting thing today - when I connect cables to passive output the Auditor is about 20% quieter. Just cables, nothing on the other side and even if its connected to something its still quieter. Weird that I only noticed this now after 4 years.
post #678 of 692

My impressions mirror .Sup's.  When switching from the Auditor to the ROC SA, I do not notice any more "drivability" of my HE-500's, only a different presentation.

 

The power 'arms race' at HF is extremely exaggerated.

post #679 of 692

Not many posts here lately...so I thought I would post to keep the thread alive ;)

 

Still loving my Auditor after about a year and a half.  Paired up with an Audio-gd Master 7 and Beyerdynamic T1.

 

The SPL is a nice extremely solid piece of gear.

post #680 of 692

Just bought myself a secondhand SPL Phonitor 2730 amp to play a little with the Crossfeed functions. With LCD-X great partnership! Listening to Fink at the moment - spacious, "speakerlike" presentation ;-) A surprising amp worth investing to complement my Tube-headphoneamp.

 

Gonna play again with settings to find optimal setup...

post #681 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAM005 View Post
 

Just bought myself a secondhand SPL Phonitor 2730 amp to play a little with the Crossfeed functions. With LCD-X great partnership! Listening to Fink at the moment - spacious, "speakerlike" presentation ;-) A surprising amp worth investing to complement my Tube-headphoneamp.

 

Gonna play again with settings to find optimal setup...

Sounds great.  I have the Auditor and would love a try with the Phonitor crossfeed.

 

Try your Phonitor with your T1.  They work very well together.

post #682 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCraig View Post
 

Sounds great.  I have the Auditor and would love a try with the Phonitor crossfeed.

 

Try your Phonitor with your T1.  They work very well together.


Hi PeterCraig,

 

Thanks, I'm gonna try my T1 tonight. I did hear the Auditor also. Same soundsignature. But Crossfeed makes listening even more fun.... I can't say - drop by ;-) Sorry!

post #683 of 692
Originally Posted by PeterCraig View Post
Try your Phonitor with your T1.  They work very well together.

 

Confirmed. I use this combination since August 2014 and I’m very happy with it:

 


SPL Phonitor 2, serial #: 14.1281.00101

Beyerdynamic T1, serial #: 5902

 

Werner.

post #684 of 692

Hi Werner,

 

Indeed I did try the Phonitor with T1. Great (technical) combo I think... Compared to my tube amp music has less sparkles - but Crossfeed bring different presentation! As said, I think it's a good extension of my Headfi collection ;-)

post #685 of 692
Originally Posted by PAM005 View Post

[…] Compared to my tube amp music has less sparkles […]

 

That’s true, but the detail resolution, the layering, the perspective and the effortless dynamics of the SPL Phonitor 2 are unmatched by any other headphone amplifier I own. The Schiit Valhalla sounds very fine, at first glance the Schiit Lyr has a lot of power, but sometimes tends to sound a little bit rough.

post #686 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by wberghofer View Post
 

 

That’s true, but the detail resolution, the layering, the perspective and the effortless dynamics of the SPL Phonitor 2 are unmatched by any other headphone amplifier I own. The Schiit Valhalla sounds very fine, at first glance the Schiit Lyr has a lot of power, but sometimes tends to sound a little bit rough.


Agree ;-)! I don't know how Phonitor I compares to the Phonitor 2, but i do regonize your description!

post #687 of 692
Originally Posted by PAM005 View Post
 

[…] I don't know how Phonitor I compares to the Phonitor 2 […]

 

According to → this article by George Walker Petit the Phonitor 2 seems to sound “better”.

 

Werner.

post #688 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by wberghofer View Post
 

 

According to → this article by George Walker Petit the Phonitor 2 seems to sound “better”.

 

Werner.


Regarding reputation of SPL company - I think this will be true... so still have some future ambitions left :-)

post #689 of 692

Has anyone here heard the SPL Crimson?

post #690 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAM005 View Post
 

Just bought myself a secondhand SPL Phonitor 2730 amp to play a little with the Crossfeed functions. With LCD-X great partnership! Listening to Fink at the moment - spacious, "speakerlike" presentation ;-) A surprising amp worth investing to complement my Tube-headphoneamp.

 

Gonna play again with settings to find optimal setup...

I just bought a 2nd-hand phonitor as well.  I bought it to pair with my HD800, but it does sound great with my LCD-XCs as well.  Earlier posts in this thread hint that the Phonitor does not play well with low impedance HP, but it sounds good.  No hiss or any unwanted noise.  I don't even have the DIM switch on the '-20' setting.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SPL Phonitor Roll Call & Appreciation Thread