or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Behringer HA400... Worth $50?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Behringer HA400... Worth $50?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
A friend of mine is looking to get this for his little home studio. Doesn't sound like much of an amplifier, but personally I'm not too knowledged in the headphone amp realm. He's getting it for the channel strip and asked me for some thoughts, and before answering I thought I'd throw it out there for you guys... Worth $40? Or is there something better around the price?

BEHRINGER: HA400
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklevinson View Post
A friend of mine is looking to get this for his little home studio. Doesn't sound like much of an amplifier, but personally I'm not too knowledged in the headphone amp realm. He's getting it for the channel strip and asked me for some thoughts, and before answering I thought I'd throw it out there for you guys... Worth $40? Or is there something better around the price?

BEHRINGER: HA400
Link it's $30 on amazon.

Otherwise, I don't know much about it. This should be in the "portable amp" section too.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
My bad, wasn't thinking. Anyone have any info?
post #4 of 14
Sorry for the thread necromancy,
I'm also interested in getting on of these, anyone knows anything about them?
post #5 of 14
Well, from the specs, it will be able to drive headphones without distortion if they have an impedance of 100Ohm or more (with 600 Ohm impedance and depending on the sensibility it might struggle).

However I would not really recommend it for HPs with low impedance (grados nor Fostex). Even so for $30 I think it is a safe bet to have some kind of dedicated volume control.
post #6 of 14
I have one of these, doesn't work much as an amp, don't really notice any significant sound changes. But it does work well if you have multiple headphones as it allows you to quickly switch headphones without plugging/unplugging all the time.

I've used it with Grado SR225s and Sennheiser HD555s and it allowed me to go back and forth between them. I used them with my laptop headphone jack, so not exactly the best output. I couldn't really tell the difference between using my headphones directly from the laptop and through the HA400.

I haven't used mine for a few months now though, so there may be some things that have just slipped my mind. I could give a mini review later if anyone is interested.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple-u View Post
I have one of these, doesn't work much as an amp, don't really notice any significant sound changes. But it does work well if you have multiple headphones as it allows you to quickly switch headphones without plugging/unplugging all the time.

I've used it with Grado SR225s and Sennheiser HD555s and it allowed me to go back and forth between them. I used them with my laptop headphone jack, so not exactly the best output. I couldn't really tell the difference between using my headphones directly from the laptop and through the HA400.

I haven't used mine for a few months now though, so there may be some things that have just slipped my mind. I could give a mini review later if anyone is interested.
You said it wrong! It does work like an amp!! It shouldn't change sound!
post #8 of 14
If it didn't improve the sound over a mere laptop headphone jack, then it obviously didn't do its job.
post #9 of 14
I guess it really depends on how you look at it. If you want to use it as a headphone splitter, with volume controls for each, then it works great. It does provide enough power for four headphones without altering the sound.

If you are using it for only one headphone, then there are definitely other options out there, that will improve the sound.

All this does is provide a little extra juice, without colouring the sound.
post #10 of 14
This thread belongs in the amp forum.
post #11 of 14
Necro'ing this thread....

I have one of these, got one at a local music shop for a decent price. I tried it on a few sources I have:

I have SRH440 Headphones btw...

PC with onboard audio: I get better volume now.
PSP: MUCH better volume, less distortion now too
Samsung TV: once again better volume.

In almost all cases I no longer have to crank the volume to get acceptable (or just less than) volume levels.

Seems to work as intended. Now when I have friends over they can plug in their cans and we don't have to bug the neighbours!
post #12 of 14

I bought it and it literally destroys the sound quality out of your high end sound card.  I specially noticed it with my newly bought Audio Technica ath-ad900x which at first I was like WTF....why are these much accoladed headphones sound so bad.  I was at a total loss.  Then I plugged the hp's  directly to my sound card's rca output and I was like WOW!!! what a difference.   Now these AT cans sounds the way  they should.  So sadly to say but the Behringer ha-400 is  crap.  


Edited by swifty7 - 7/22/13 at 11:06pm
post #13 of 14
[quote name="iHelp"

Otherwise, I don't know much about it. This should be in the "portable amp" section too.[/quote]

Um, why would you say that? This isn't portable at all. It depends on power from a wall plug, but even if you had a small & light 12v battery, why would you even want it to be portable? What possible use can you imagine wanting it for? Can you imagine trying to manage four headphone cords (plus the source input wire) coming out of this thing anywhere but a studio or desktop environment? Just no on that one.

I am assuming iHelp saw the small physical size and made a series of inaccurate assumptions without reading anything or even looking too closely at the picture =\
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

I bought it and it literally destroys the sound quality out of your high end sound card.  I specially noticed it with my newly bought Audio Technica ath-ad900x which at first I was like WTF....why are these much accoladed headphones sound so bad.  I was at a total loss.  Then I plugged the hp's  directly to my sound card's rca output and I was like WOW!!! what a difference.   Now these AT cans sounds the way  they should.  So sadly to say but the Behringer ha-400 is  crap.  


Sorry, but no. This is factually wrong. I dont mean "the sound quality isn't as bad as Swift makes it out to be." I mean that the sound quality isnt bad at all. It's a clean, very transparent amp. It sounds like whatever the source sounds like. I really can't imagine what Swifty was expecting it to do to his AD900x. I can only speculate that his sound card is extremely colored and otherwise inaccurate, so when he heard a neutral amp, it wasn't what he expected, and rather than giving himself a chance for brain-burn-in, he concluded it's a bad amp and probably never tried again.

The HA400 has plenty of power. Using my Ipod Nano 7G as the source, it drives my 250 ohm DT880s plenty loud with the volume at 75%; I have my Q701 playing simultaneously with its knob slightly past 50%. Interestingly, my JVC Riptidz earbuds also needbto beba little past 50% to get a desirable moderate volume. I can't imagine why, maybe some unusual method of measuring gain?

The HA400 is clearly designed for use in a recording studio, so each member of a band can easily set individual headphone volume levels. It also works great for the purpose I got it.for: evaluating several pairs of headphones against each other, while being able to match volume levels beforehand, without having to change settings every time you change headphones. I can't overstate how amazingly useful that last part is to me!

If you're a headphone addict like me, and you often find yourself trying to find out what one certain song sounds like on several different pairs, the HA400 is a valuable tool, and at ~$30 new, it's easily affordable for anyone in this hobby. I admit I'm unlikely to plug it in just for casual listening fun, but I use it often as an analytical tool. It has a myriad of potential uses I've only just begun to explore.

=================

EDIT: there is one issue I forgot to mention. When plugging in a new 'phone when the unit is powered on, it often causes a quite loud "click" in the 'phones. Fortunately the transient is brief, and seems to be at a relatively high frequency, but this happens even on high impedance sets, and even when that channel's volume is set at 0%, even when ALL channels are set to 0. This is unfortunate because Behringer didn't provide a power toggle of any sort. If it's plugged in, it's on.

The fact that this happens even with the volume at 0 is particularly perplexing to me. Does anybody else have insight here? My only somewhat plausable guess is that maybe turning the knob all the way to 0 doesn't actually mute the channel?

I don't know what kind of transient it takes to potentially damage a headphone transducer (obv. It will vary between models), but I'm thinking it's time for me to learn.
Edited by DJ The Rocket - 9/9/16 at 2:55pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Behringer HA400... Worth $50?