Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 - The best portable audio player - mini-review and discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiMAN HM-801 - The best portable audio player - mini-review and discussion - Page 5

post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrichard View Post
there is an article in the computer as source section that explains the view of many professional studios' that they think USB output are actually better than Optical output due to the fact that Optical output has no correction mechanism and hence jitter(unsure about the last world jitter though)

just go there and have a look, learn that knowledge from headfi so dont quote on me
Hearing is believing. Somehow the optical input of the D10 sounds better than the USB counterpart.
post #62 of 71
i think this is link i mentioned

ca moore

and the discussion thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/us...37/index2.html

i agree hearing is believing and i will go down that path soon enough

but i cant see why USB cant do the job? i guess why people believe optical is better is because they visualize optical as light so hence it must be purer? but at this stage (before i done the hearing is believing part ) i find it hard to swallow as at the end its mere data 0 and 1 ~ unless its analog but it isnt ? so optical or USB shouldnt make difference while i do believe the buffer theory as thats at the process end ~ optical might have the advantage of transfer data faster but hey~ its not like you need to listen to the music or play 100x times faster ?? and if its mere 0 and 1 then purity isnt the issue here ~

any way, what do i know ? i will wait until i hear what difference the cable and power supply etc etc can make then finalize my opinion
post #63 of 71
Purer because it's light? Hehe, that's just silly

It largely depends on the system. Ayre just announced a DAC with only a USB input, costing merely 3000usd. It largely depends on the DAC though, in terms of which is better. Originally, USB was actually the cause of jitter since USB as a standard sends the information as "bursts" of 1s and 0s, thus causing the clocking to go all wrong. So in other words, a USB-DAC requires a well planned buffering system, that works both ways. At least to my knowledge...
As you see, I can't speak in technological terms, so take this with a grain of salt. But just answering to Testrichard's question, that it's not simply just 1s and 0s
post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrichard View Post
i think this is link i mentioned

ca moore

and the discussion thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/us...37/index2.html

i agree hearing is believing and i will go down that path soon enough

but i cant see why USB cant do the job? i guess why people believe optical is better is because they visualize optical as light so hence it must be purer? but at this stage (before i done the hearing is believing part ) i find it hard to swallow as at the end its mere data 0 and 1 ~ unless its analog but it isnt ? so optical or USB shouldnt make difference while i do believe the buffer theory as thats at the process end ~ optical might have the advantage of transfer data faster but hey~ its not like you need to listen to the music or play 100x times faster ?? and if its mere 0 and 1 then purity isnt the issue here ~

any way, what do i know ? i will wait until i hear what difference the cable and power supply etc etc can make then finalize my opinion
Jitter. Also, you may check the max length of each of the cables: coax, usb and toslink. This indicates that attenuation and other issues occur rather than just the transmission of 0 and 1 because real time system is much more complicated.
post #65 of 71
It's all in the actual implementation. On the iBasso D1 the optical was clearly superior to the usb while on the D10 it is much much closer, at least to my old ears.
post #66 of 71
Any update on how development is coming along? Any release date?
post #67 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnotis View Post
Any update on how development is coming along? Any release date?
Fang is trying to make its appearance even better.Should be delivered at the end of Aug for the first batch.
post #68 of 71
Anyone else get there unit yet? I would love to hear some more impressions.
post #69 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirmalanow View Post
Anyone else get there unit yet? I would love to hear some more impressions.
Just got mine in the mail an hour ago. It needs time to break in, and I've only listened for an hour, but...

Detailed, somewhat sweet yet clinical, something up with the sound-stage... Is that from not being broken in? Lemme check...

Plugged into my home stereo through the line out... Oh!!!!!! Holy ****! Instrument separation is amazing--excellent tonality without blending instrument timbres together. 3D images... I can hear the violinists turning their instruments. Tonally, it blooms softly in the lower midrange, but is dry above while not straying too far from an "open" resonance. I don't have the headphones to pull off this kind of soundstage, and my etys are broken. This thing is gonna drive some people crazy, the way a $500 CD player does. It does some things very well, so you expect it to get everything right. But it just doesn't work like that in this price range.

That's all for now. I'm gonna go listen some more. Will be back in a few weeks after I break it in.
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiBurning View Post
Just got mine in the mail an hour ago. It needs time to break in, and I've only listened for an hour, but...

Detailed, somewhat sweet yet clinical, something up with the sound-stage... Is that from not being broken in? Lemme check...

Plugged into my home stereo through the line out... Oh!!!!!! Holy ****! Instrument separation is amazing--excellent tonality without blending instrument timbres together. 3D images... I can hear the violinists turning their instruments. Tonally, it blooms softly in the lower midrange, but is dry above while not straying too far from an "open" resonance. I don't have the headphones to pull off this kind of soundstage, and my etys are broken. This thing is gonna drive some people crazy, the way a $500 CD player does. It does some things very well, so you expect it to get everything right. But it just doesn't work like that in this price range.

That's all for now. I'm gonna go listen some more. Will be back in a few weeks after I break it in.
Hi SiBurning,

Would you mind putting this post in the following thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/hi...thread-447836/

as well or if I can quote it there?

I've prepared the appreciation thread for the 801 owners to share the SQ of the final product in order to help the new comers.
post #71 of 71
That thread's too scary. Let it die.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › HiFiMAN HM-801 - The best portable audio player - mini-review and discussion