Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-RX700 Mods
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-RX700 Mods - Page 3

post #31 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEternal View Post
Yea I might have to unless I can find something made out of butyl in a store.

Man shipping takes the fun out of online shopping, 15 bucks to ship 1square foot which is less then .3lbs, ill send them 75 cents for stamps and they can shove it in an envelope
I always try to find an online shop that does free shipping, but sometimes I just suck it up. Sweetwater is one place I like.

I used 2 layers of the tape I have inside my 900 cups, almost too much...I had trouble getting them back together but I believe it helped the bass get tighter.

I'm pretty sure I didn't use even a square foot for both cups. $15 is a total rip-off for shipping...considering that I estimate that my shipping to Canada would be around $3 in a medium size bubble envelope.
post #32 of 213
Is that tape actually called Window Flange Tape or does it maybe have another name?

Im trying to find something similar, or just something made out of butyl that would work, on Home | Canadian Tire but I might be overlooking stuff

Oh and did the tape help insulate the headphones from external noise at all? That was my other reason for doing this mod, our place is open concept so the tv in the livingroom isnt far off so I was hoping to block out just a little more noise wit hthe mod
post #33 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEternal View Post
Is that tape actually called Window Flange Tape or does it maybe have another name?

Im trying to find something similar, or just something made out of butyl that would work, on Home | Canadian Tire but I might be overlooking stuff

Oh and did the tape help insulate the headphones from external noise at all? That was my other reason for doing this mod, our place is open concept so the tv in the livingroom isnt far off so I was hoping to block out just a little more noise wit hthe mod
I'll try to remember to bring some of this tape home and take a close-up pic so you can see what it looks like. The type I used has a thin aluminum backing. Here is an example of what I used in 6" width. I think I have some without the aluminum backing also. I don't think it would matter which type is used.

I can't say if the tape helps to block more noise. There are small openings inside the back of the cup and I was careful not to block these. On my HA RX900 there is a small ring of perforated metal that is visible from the outside so I'm guessing that it's best to leave this area open.
post #34 of 213
Seems I cant catch a break with this stuff, it must go by a completly different name here or its just not used in construction over here because I cant find anything called flashing tape or roofing tape at canadiantire, homehardware or homedepot.

Im starting to think i might have to resolve to using that drawr liner
post #35 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEternal View Post
Seems I cant catch a break with this stuff, it must go by a completly different name here or its just not used in construction over here because I cant find anything called flashing tape or roofing tape at canadiantire, homehardware or homedepot.

Im starting to think i might have to resolve to using that drawr liner
I searched the Home Depot sites(both US and Canadian) and couldn't find any butyl tape. I buy it from roofing supply stores locally. I recall seeing it at either my local Lowe's or Home Depot.

I had never thought of the drawer liner but it seems that it would work, it probably is thinner than the flashing tapes.
post #36 of 213
Thanks for all your efford GreatDane, I appriciate it

Maybe Ill just try that drawr liner and ill stuff some speaker vat insulation in the void (ill just pull a bit out of my tower speakers lol)
post #37 of 213
I've used peel n seal in car audio before. Worked well but stunk like asphalt for a week or two. I used Dynamat Xtreme when modding my RX900 and other headphones. Never thought to use kitchen drawer liner. I can't imagine it working as well for dampening resonance or as a sound barrier, but it should absorb sound pretty well. I had bought a roll for $1, so I will try it in my PC and for headphone mods. Thanks.
post #38 of 213
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time View Post
Never thought to use kitchen drawer liner. I can't imagine it working as well for dampening resonance or as a sound barrier, but it should absorb sound pretty well. I had bought a roll for $1, so I will try it in my PC and for headphone mods. Thanks.
I applied the kitchen drawer liner to just one ear and had to balance the phones by 10-15% to make up for the absorbed sound, I think it works better. I've since coated the back of the speaker driver in tin (from a can) and reapplied the liner... still testing.

post #39 of 213
My RX700 right driver is dead. I removed them and replace with KSC75 and created 3 hold on the cup to make it semi open. While, I will open up more hole at a later time as it sound wield to me.
post #40 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
I applied the kitchen drawer liner to just one ear and had to balance the phones by 10-15% to make up for the absorbed sound, I think it works better. I've since coated the back of the speaker driver in tin (from a can) and reapplied the liner... still testing.
I usually find it tough to get a good read when just modding one headphone or both but in different ways. So it seems the kitchen liner is good at sound absorption. I had been using felt for this. And the peel n seal and dynamat are good at blocking / reflecting sound and resonance reduction. The tin will reflect sound like the aluminum skin on the Dynamat Xtreme. I had used cut up pieces of magnetic tape before to reflect sound in a mod of HD414 pads, similar to your use of what look like stickers, and it worked well. But putting tin on the plastic cups does not seem to be a good idea. It reflects like the plastic, but you should get resonance from it.
post #41 of 213
I think the biggest thing the kitchen liner has going for it is the fact that its dimpled which will prevent sound from reverberating.

Hoping my rx700's will be here early next week, getting tired of using my old busted taped up headphones lol
post #42 of 213
I didn't realize what the drawer liner was. I was thinking it was a thin adhering material. I don't think it would have the same damping qualities as Dynamat or similar tape.

Today I bought 1,000 square feet(5 rolls, 3 feet wide) of high quality Tamko rubberized asphalt underlayment for an upcoming sheet metal roofing project. Just the scraps that will get thrown away would probably mod 50 headphones. lol

Here is the window tape that I used on my 900.Width is 4".





As you can see here, it is fairly thin. Comparing to a US Penny.

post #43 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEternal View Post
I think the biggest thing the kitchen liner has going for it is the fact that its dimpled which will prevent sound from reverberating.
Actually, it would not be very good at preventing this. Peel n Seal, Dynamat, and the stuff GreatDane just posted would. However, kitchen drawer liner would be good at absorbing / deadening direct, reflecting, reverberating, or whatever types of sound.

Kitchen drawer liner and other materials also take up air space (decreasing volume), which in itself affects the sound.
post #44 of 213
what i mean is the dimpled shape is best for eliminating reverberations and echo's, if you look at sound doeadened rooms they material on the walls typically had a more advanced but basically dimpled design, usualy oposing wedges or squares, dimples arent perfect for this but they are superior to a flat surface for elimination echos
post #45 of 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEternal View Post
what i mean is the dimpled shape is best for eliminating reverberations and echo's, if you look at sound doeadened rooms they material on the walls typically had a more advanced but basically dimpled design, usualy oposing wedges or squares, dimples arent perfect for this but they are superior to a flat surface for elimination echos
That's just what the kitchen drawer liner made me think of too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › JVC HA-RX700 Mods