Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The Lavry DA11 - a review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Lavry DA11 - a review - Page 3

post #31 of 52
Thread Starter 
This is the classic risk of implementing a USB device, either design it to spec and hope to god that the equipment your users will be pairing it with will also operate according to spec OR design it run underpowered in an effort to help it work through the plethora of crap USB hubs, controllers, cables, etc.

So far I haven't had any issues with signal loss, or dropouts - even when using 24/88 material - then again outside of the keyboard and mouse I don't have any other USB devices in use :\

Very cool - happy to see the Lavry owners come out of the wood work.
post #32 of 52

My DA11

Hi all,

I am a DA11 user from China. I've own this machine since March of this year, and would like to share my experience.

Basically, you cannot go wrong with this machine at this price point. I have compared this machine with DAC1, M902 and an old dbx Quantum II processor (as a DAC only), and quite happy with the DA11 with either headphone out (with HD650 and HD800) or as a DAC/preamp to pair with Dynaudio BM6A and JBL LSR4328 monitors.

For line out, the sound of DA11 might sit into between the M902 and DAC1: not as soft as m902 and not as tight and bright as DAC1. I did not do the extensive compare but just feel that DA11 fits my ear better.

I also compared side by side the headphone out of M902/DA11, driving the HD650 and HD800. For my ear the DA11 is the winner, with more convining bass and transparent mids. The M902 is soft, with smooth highs but it is too thin in the mids to my ears.

I did not have a chance to do a side-by-side headphone output comparison with DAC1.

What I like:
- Compact and solid build, easy to move and place
- The sound quality is good, as mentioned by other users, "transparent", and with deep bass.
- The controll need some time to get use to, but once you are experienced, the operation is actually very fast.

What I don't like
- The quality of the headphone jack could be better. My headphone jack become noisy now, when I insert the plug, I sometimes need to twist it several times to get reliable contact, otherwise the sound of L/R is not balanced.
- The quality of the switch could be better. For example, when I use the PIC, by 1 click, the indicator sometimes goes 2 or even 3 clicks away!
- I know it is designed for professional use. But I still miss a dedicated RCA output to connect to whatever needed, such as another headphone amplifier . So I don't have to pull out the XLR cables connected to monitor speakers, and set the pin3 muted, then do it over again when I need to use the speaker again!
- I am looking for a bit more power, and bass control for the headphone out, for a solid, deep and fast bass replay from HD650 and especially HD800.
- I have several case of the USB signal lost problem, especially for 24bit/96K tracks. During the playback, the signal lost, and something like pink noise from the output. . I am using not fancy but not bad dual-filter USB cables, and only DA11 and the mouse is using the USB ports on my IBM T60.
post #33 of 52

Contact Lavry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycheung View Post
...
- I have several case of the USB signal lost problem, especially for 24bit/96K tracks. During the playback, the signal lost, and something like pink noise from the output. . I am using not fancy but not bad dual-filter USB cables, and only DA11 and the mouse is using the USB ports on my IBM T60.
You should send this feedback to Lavry Technical Support, they're looking for this kind of info right now in fact:
Lavry Engineering - View topic - Lavry DA11: random glitches with USB playback at 24/88 only
post #34 of 52
Thread Starter 
I have a T60 and can playback 24/88, 24/96 and 24/192 without issues. Do you have some samples you could provide of 24/88 that gives you issues, or is it with anything? Have you tried the DA11 on another system or systems with the same files and cables, different cables?

Regarding the headphone jack and switch quality - it sounds like you might have smacked it, I've been -railing- hard on the switches and the unit in general and they still work as they did when it showed up some 3 months and change ago. None the less you should bring any issues you have up to technical support, and please let us know how it goes.
post #35 of 52
I thought the built in amp sounded abit thin when I tried it out at our mini meet here in Stockholm.
The details was there, the soundstage was there, but it just feelt abit thin. (Using the HD800).
The DAC seemed very nice but I dont know if I would settle for the built in amp alone.
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by danne View Post
I thought the built in amp sounded abit thin when I tried it out at our mini meet here in Stockholm.
The details was there, the soundstage was there, but it just feelt abit thin. (Using the HD800).
The DAC seemed very nice but I dont know if I would settle for the built in amp alone.
Maybe my ears have adjusted to it, but I don't find the built-in amp thin at all on the DA11. I find it remarkably detailed and musical. I was concerned about finding it thin ... until I used it for a few hours.

Having said that, I have tried my DA11 with the DNA Sonett (tube amp) for several hours on more than one occasion. It is an extremely seductive combination. The DNA Sonett is a stunning amp in this old timer's humble opinion and I may have to let the moths out of my wallet yet again..
post #37 of 52
@OP - very nice review and description of the DA11

How well does the built-in amp pair with the HD650?
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Maybe my ears have adjusted to it, but I don't find the built-in amp thin at all on the DA11. I find it remarkably detailed and musical. I was concerned about finding it thin ... until I used it for a few hours.

Having said that, I have tried my DA11 with the DNA Sonett (tube amp) for several hours on more than one occasion. It is an extremely seductive combination. The DNA Sonett is a stunning amp in this old timer's humble opinion and I may have to let the moths out of my wallet yet again..
Agreed with the Sonett, it was my fav amp with the HD 800 at the meet.
But dont you think going from the Sonett back to the built in amp makes it feel thin?
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by danne View Post
Agreed with the Sonett, it was my fav amp with the HD 800 at the meet.
But dont you think going from the Sonett back to the built in amp makes it feel thin?
Perhaps a little, but I find added detail from the DA11 amp. However, the Sonett provides a full, rich, yet surprisingly neutral sound. It's hard to beat. It's one of those cases where I'd be totally happy with the DA11 built-in amp, if only I hadn't heard the DA11 with the Sonett.

Hmmm, what to do...
post #40 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by insyte View Post
@OP - very nice review and description of the DA11

How well does the built-in amp pair with the HD650?
Magical. I'll PM with more details.
post #41 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Perhaps a little, but I find added detail from the DA11 amp. However, the Sonett provides a full, rich, yet surprisingly neutral sound. It's hard to beat. It's one of those cases where I'd be totally happy with the DA11 built-in amp, if only I hadn't heard the DA11 with the Sonett.

Hmmm, what to do...
neutral and tube don't belong in the same sentence current designs push the feedback, and otherwise coloring nature of the tube down to levels never before possible but that isn't to say they're not without impact on the sound.

Having said that, combining a good tube amp like the WA1515 from Wright, Woo, etc, etc with the Lavry DA11 or DA2002 as a source allows the most specific details of the tube design, and any tube rolling to show through with amazing accuracy. starting with a neutral device like the DA11 is the correct thing to do, in this man's opinion when you want to get the most out of any device that alters the sound, regardless of what it does.
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbenjamin View Post
neutral and tube don't belong in the same sentence current designs push the feedback, and otherwise coloring nature of the tube down to levels never before possible but that isn't to say they're not without impact on the sound.
Tubes don't have an intrinsic coloring nature. It's all how you use them.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/a...ml#post6047246
post #43 of 52
Thread Starter 
I've not heard your products Donald, so I want to be very careful about how I reply to this because you obviously have a very specific opinion regarding tubes

I will say that Dan's explanation on the subject;
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f158/t...sitors-432448/

Lines up with what I've heard - don't get me wrong I have a tube setup I love it, it has it's place in the audio world, let that never change. The way I look at it thou, and maybe you could enlighten me; whats the point of using tubes if you have a next to no distortion, as you say in the parts per million? What benefit in that case does it have over a quality solid state design?

I'm reading the pdf you referenced.

By the way if a mod wants to split the tube related talk into a new thread, I wouldn't complain
post #44 of 52
First, I would like to say that I've heard the DA11 a few times at Jeremy's place, and it is a very good dac through both the line and headphone output.

Yes, I've read that post on his forum. While I disagree with some of his comments, another thread is the better venue for such discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbenjamin View Post
whats the point of using tubes if you have a next to no distortion, as you say in the parts per million? What benefit in that case does it have over a quality solid state design?
Now this is the $64K question. I've heard and read some theories, but don't have a concise and definitive answer. The short answer is: Triodes sound better to me. I go by what I hear and this is what got me into tubes. Of course, to each his own, and most importantly: Listen for yourself and go with what sounds best to you.
post #45 of 52
Thread Starter 
An honest, and respectable answer, makes me want to support you as an OEM.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › The Lavry DA11 - a review