Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Let's flood AKG with emails so they will re make the K1000
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let's flood AKG with emails so they will re make the K1000 - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinz View Post
K1K in my opinion are way overhyped.
i don't understand why it's overhyped?
there are both fans and detractors...
think it's been around enough and people have heard it enough to know that it can scale very well given the proper equipment.
There have been tons of impressions and reviews...mostly very positive.
now...people may still not like that sound or people may not have heard it with the right amp or source.
But still, I don't think it's hype.
I understand if you don't like the sound...that's your preference.
But saying "over-hype" indicates you think people shouldn't like it as much as they say right?
Then it's not about your preference anymore and would strongly disagree.
But I don't think it's overhyped because my impression is that people really love them when they can listen to them properly.

I've never thought of the k1ks as being overhyped...actually the opposite.
Think if you most people could hear the k1000s with a proper amp, it makes them beautiful instruments for hearing music...of any kind.
Among many who have or listened to lots of high-ends rigs, I would imagine the k1000s to up as being among the best.

And why you would state such an opinion on a thread from a fan who just wants to share some k1k love....
post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Well i guess i'm screwed, maybe i'll get a pair of HD800 in the future if they are close to the K1000 sonically,because they are in the same price range sort of..but not so sure because of all the contradicting reviews...

Hehe foo_me,don't worry...i don't care what anyone says about them ,when i had them i had a crappy rig(cowon D2+ O1 amp) and i was blown away,they sounded a 1000 times better than the GS-1000 connected to a NAIM amp with the Grace as DAC and some Ayre CD as transport....
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_me View Post
i don't understand why it's overhyped?
there are both fans and detractors...
Think if most people could hear the k1000s with a proper amp, it makes them beautiful instruments for hearing music...of any kind.
Among many who have or listened to lots of high-ends rigs, I would imagine the k1000s to up as being among the best.

And why you would state such an opinion on a thread from a fan who just wants to share some k1k love....
Well spoken. A good source and powerful amp make them shine.
post #19 of 37
It will be very interesting to see what their next model will be(k701/2 succesor)
I guess it would be similar priced as the hd 800 or maybe a bit less to make people choose them over the 800's.It would be nice if it will be half the price of the hd 800...
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
I get the feeling that AKG isn't going to bring the K-1000 back. It was discontinued a bit after Harmon acquired AKG, and I think the new management killed it.
"A bit", as in 12 years...
The K1000 was discontinued in the end of 2005, while it seems like Harman International purchased 76% of the AKG Acoustics Inc. stakes in October 1993.
Quote:
Date: Friday, October 1 1993

JBL & DOD Parent to Offer Complete Audio Chain with Purchase of Mic Maker

Harman International Industries, parent corporation of JBL, DOD, and Lexicon, has announced an agreement in principle to acquire a majority interest in AKG, the Austrian microphone maker. While the purchase price of the 76% stake in AKG was not disclosed, a Harman spokesman indicated that the Austrian firm had lost money for the past two years and was sold for substantially under book value. Last year AKG had worldwide sales of just over $100 million. The company's U.S. sales were in the $30 mill
Source: Harman to buy AKG | AllBusiness.com

It may be that the management do not want to revive it again. But I do not think its discontinuing in 2005 were directly related to the fact that Harman got the share majority all those years earlier.
post #21 of 37
It's not like they were raved about when in production and at the end of the run they couldn't give them away. They were being sold for 450 or so. They didn't sell in large quantities and are expensive to make. I do not think they will ever come back and I doubt any 701 successor will remotely resemble or sound like a K1k.

Glad I have my set though
post #22 of 37
smeggy. You have a point there.
It certainly seems like the K1000 gained a lot of popularity shortly after it was discontinued. They were regarded when in production as well, but not to the same extent.

Things have changed since 2005 though. Head-Fi have grown immensely, with increased demand for statement models. AKGs competitors like Sennheiser and Grado have seen this and come up with new models. We can also hope that AKG follow through as well.

In the meantime I am happily enjoying my two K1000s.
post #23 of 37
I agree with krmathis. The K1000 gained a lot of attention after they were discontinued. Like few other cans (and other audio components), the fact that those were no longer available made them exotic and more desirable. By no mean I want to diminish them at all. Would an upgrade or improved model like the K1000 be viable commercially, either on its own or as a flagship? It is difficult to say.

Personally, I don't see why not. The Head-Fi and other headphones aficionados have grown in number and created a stronger demand on high end models. I definitely will look forward to see what the new K701/2 successor will be like.
post #24 of 37
Heh isn't that the way it is with many things, if it's no longer readily available it gets more attention and possibly regarded better?
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan007 View Post
Heh isn't that the way it is with many things, if it's no longer readily available it gets more attention and possibly regarded better?
Yeah,the same goes to people's relationships.
If your girlfriend feels that she is gonna lose you,then she appreciates you more.
The same goes to many other things,too.If you lose your health,you realize how important is to be healthy.It's in human nature.
The only way to appreciate some things is when you lose them.
post #26 of 37
I don't think their recent popularity is too much based upon being discontinued.
I think it's actually that more people have recently driven them with seriously good speaker amps.

For me, it was when Nik first posted results with an Air Tight 300b set amp (~$6000+). That sparked my curiosity and others as well.
And it turned out that the amp (as well as the source and even ICs) make a huge difference in the sound it produces.
Instead of agressive treble, thin bass, etc...you get a very balanced sound with amazing imaging and soundstage.
Once people started posting their experiences and also bringing k1000 rigs to meets, I think people just became more exposed to it's sound potential.
All I can say is that the chain does make a difference...they need a dedicated speaker amp.
I've heard headphone amps that can drive speakers and while good, don't think they really make the k1000s shine and that includes amps like the Zana Deux T, Beta22, Singlepower extreme (Woo Audio 5 being the exception).

To the Op, I wouldn't worry about them being out of production...just get them and enjoy. There were thousands made and you can always find a pair for sale.
Would be nice if they were back in production, but can't worry about stuff out of your control...just enjoy the music that it can produce
post #27 of 37
Thread Starter 
Yeha,but what about the part that they might stop working and there are no spare parts....so i'll get them only if could get a NOS pair,which is almost impossible...
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_me View Post
I don't think their recent popularity is too much based upon being discontinued.
I think it's actually that more people have recently driven them with seriously good speaker amps.

For me, it was when Nik first posted results with an Air Tight 300b set amp (~$6000+). That sparked my curiosity and others as well.
And it turned out that the amp (as well as the source and even ICs) make a huge difference in the sound it produces.
Instead of agressive treble, thin bass, etc...you get a very balanced sound with amazing imaging and soundstage.
Once people started posting their experiences and also bringing k1000 rigs to meets, I think people just became more exposed to it's sound potential.
All I can say is that the chain does make a difference...they need a dedicated speaker amp.
I've heard headphone amps that can drive speakers and while good, don't think they really make the k1000s shine and that includes amps like the Zana Deux T, Beta22, Singlepower extreme (Woo Audio 5 being the exception).

To the Op, I wouldn't worry about them being out of production...just get them and enjoy. There were thousands made and you can always find a pair for sale.
Would be nice if they were back in production, but can't worry about stuff out of your control...just enjoy the music that it can produce
post #28 of 37
Are we 100% on there being no spare parts? I've heard conflicting accounts of this.
post #29 of 37
The two pairs I bought were both very early models from '93 or so and they're both still going strong after 16 years so I wouldn't worry too much.
post #30 of 37
Hi, from what I have read here at head-fi, I have tremendous respect for the K1000. But one thing puzzles me... Why a lot of reviewers have favoured the K701 over the K1000? Did they have some hidden agenda, or AKG bribed them? I also wonder if a lot of the K701 hate comes from the fact that it the K1000 supposedly sounds better! To my ears, the K70x scale with amplification. The xcan v8 is said to breathe life into these cans. Have never heard the K1000
and it would be foolish for me to comment on them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Let's flood AKG with emails so they will re make the K1000