Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2 - Page 146

post #2176 of 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post

Interesting. To me the Magnum is superior to HF-2. Where do we place PS500 then? This is a valid comparison since they kind of belong in the same family in terms of sound signature.

 

 

well, right now I’m thinking:

 

PS500 > Magnum v4 > HF2

 

But i’d be more sure of my HF2 ranking if I had one next to me. I should also point out that the PS500 to Magnum difference is pretty small. it mostly comes down to the PS500’s ability to deliver stronger bass impact without having to use flats and compress the soundstage and thicken the lower mids too much.

 

But, like I said, the Magnums have less glare (theres still some) on certain peaky female vocals. I don’t encounter them on many songs but when I do, the Magnums handle it better than the PS500. 

 

They’re both quite excellent. The PS500 is a lot easier to like compared to most Grados and the Magnum is an even more impressive technical achievement.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2177 of 2335

The Magnums feel like I could throw them off a cliff and run them over with a car and they'd be just fine.

 

There's something very satisfying about how robustly they are built.

 

I do not have HF-2s or a PS500, but the sound with the flats on my Magnums is pretty spectacular.

post #2178 of 2335

They're formally called shaft collars.

 

Link to some:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16411911

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

lolol

 

I don't think he can loose rodblocks during vacation so he must be referring to rodtips.

 

 

I don't know the name for these "screw locks", but they could work:

 

 You could use them as rod tips, or just to lock the cups at a certain height.

 

I'm sure it would be easy to buy them if we knew their name.

post #2179 of 2335

I was at Ace and Lowes yesterday and found some aluminum blanks and was very tempted to make my own rod-blocks, but I really didn't need them.

post #2180 of 2335
post #2181 of 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoItGoes View Post

They're formally called shaft collars.

 

Link to some:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16411911

 

 

Thank you!

 

I hope borowedarogance sees this! I'll private message him

 

Hey, self publicity, I'm selling never-opened box Magnums there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613150/quick-sale-never-opened-symphones-magnum-full-100-or-lite-you-decide


Edited by devouringone3 - 6/5/12 at 11:21am
post #2182 of 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

The Magnums feel like I could throw them off a cliff and run them over with a car and they'd be just fine.

 

There's something very satisfying about how robustly they are built.

 

For my Magnum one of the rods detached itself from the gimbal. And one of the screws on the inner cups was loose. So I don't think they're that strong. There's a difference between heavy and strong. 

post #2183 of 2335

Long time since I've been lurking here, but this thread sure woke me up and I immediately rushed over to the Symphones webpage. The order button was the first thing I saw and thought to myself.. all in?

 

Yes, sent an order for the full modification and got a PayPal receipt so now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

post #2184 of 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albedo View Post

Long time since I've been lurking here, but this thread sure woke me up and I immediately rushed over to the Symphones webpage. The order button was the first thing I saw and thought to myself.. all in?

 

Yes, sent an order for the full modification and got a PayPal receipt so now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Nice :)  I'm fairly certain you'll not be dissapointed; in the rare event you are I can garuntee you won't have a hard time selling them.

 

Prepare to fall in love :)

post #2185 of 2335

It was post #2136 that sort of forced my hand, the only concern are more or less if I'm just too late. I rationalize that Rhydon is not the sort of type that's unaware of his own site and the fact that one can still place an order there.

 

With my 325is I had one major problem as loudness these days are almost a standard, after I vented and dampend the air chamber, the enhanced dynamic contrast ruined many of my records. On the other hand this Magnum mod. seems to be more benign to this loudness war, so I'm not going to punch holes this time.

 

Reading up on amps it seems that Little Dot I+ are not so well suited for the Magnum, but as I've gathered SS amps with OPA209 seems to have a certain synergy.

post #2186 of 2335

Yes, that post was a scary one indeed...almost got me to order a second pair hahaha.  Figure I'll hold off and just enjoy what i have/no reason to bogart all the goodness ;)

Just ordered some flats from TTVJ so hopefully they hold as much synergy with the magnums as some here claim.  (I've only ever used the standard cups w/ mine pre/post magnumization)

And on down the road there's always re-terminating the end of my cable to make them balanced, but for now I really have no desire to do anything other than listen :) 

post #2187 of 2335

One thing I'm curious about is how the Magnums somewhat small soundstage react to crossfeed... bowls have some of it, but flats have none.

post #2188 of 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by borowedarogance View Post

Yes, that post was a scary one indeed...almost got me to order a second pair hahaha.  Figure I'll hold off and just enjoy what i have/no reason to bogart all the goodness ;)

Just ordered some flats from TTVJ so hopefully they hold as much synergy with the magnums as some here claim.  (I've only ever used the standard cups w/ mine pre/post magnumization)

And on down the road there's always re-terminating the end of my cable to make them balanced, but for now I really have no desire to do anything other than listen :) 

There is nothing scary and it is inevitable. Rhydon's time is better spent on developing his own headphones than modding existing Grados. 

post #2189 of 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post

There is nothing scary and it is inevitable. Rhydon's time is better spent on developing his own headphones than modding existing Grados. 

 

Possibly his own headphone design with the Magnum drivers thrown in?

post #2190 of 2335

I'd like to see something circumaural from him as that's my preferred style (i find its easier to make those comfortable for long hours), with a new driver tuned to be further from the ear. so we can get a bigger soundstage without sacrificing the intended tonality of the headphone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2