I was recently educated about the difference. Do you mean rod tips or rod blocks?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 7/6/10
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 3/10/11
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 1/27/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/12/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/21/10
- brandSymphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 12/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 4/27/16 at 3:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which of the metal grados is your fav? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgradin from SR-125i's to what? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- which Grado? Last post on 5/28/11 at 10:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time of the review, the Unique Melody Miracle V2 was was on sale at Musicteck’s online store. Although the model I am reviewing today is not currently listed, Musicteck is currently...
Quick Review : I bought them for casual listening and mixing and mastering purpose. I'm not disappointed by the sound signature. Things I'd like to stay the way they are: 1. frequency...
I have previously given a positive review for the Philips SHE3590, a cheap IEM that sounds good. I purchased the Philips SHE3595 because it looks like the SHE3590, has a microphone and it was...
Introduction – This is getting ridiculous, with a $5 RRP, the VE Monk+ is cheaper than most cables. The VE Monk+ is an update to the highly regarded VE Monk, one of the most awarded and most...
Background I first came across Rhapsodio, a boutique IEM maker based in Hong Kong, back in May 2013. I purchased their RDB+ v1 hybrid then, which is rather fun-sounding. After a year or so, I...
Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2 - Page 145post #2161 of 23366/4/12 at 8:15am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2162 of 23366/4/12 at 9:45am
I don't think he can loose rodblocks during vacation so he must be referring to rodtips.
I don't know the name for these "screw locks", but they could work:
I'm sure it would be easy to buy them if we knew their name.
Edited by devouringone3 - 6/4/12 at 9:47ampost #2163 of 23366/4/12 at 9:45amQuote:
Ah, my apologies, I meant rod tips (although some sweet metal rod blocks would be wonderful too )post #2164 of 23366/4/12 at 9:48amQuote:
I like the look of that! (I'm pretty much using my rod blocks as rod tips atm (minus a mm or three on each side) seeing that I have a pretty huge skull, so I wouldn't really be able to pull the "lock them in place" thing off)post #2165 of 23366/4/12 at 9:53ampost #2166 of 23366/4/12 at 9:55ampost #2167 of 23366/4/12 at 10:22am
I think I paid $60 for mine, but don't quote me.post #2168 of 23366/4/12 at 2:48pm
I thought I’d add some comparison thoughts to the PS500 after my previous impressions here
I just got a set of PS500 delivered to me today and I’ve been going back and forth between the Magnums and PS500. At the same time, I’ve been flipping between the flats and bowls on the magnum (sticking with bowls on the PS500).
The PS500 with bowls has more bass power and impact than the Magnum with bowls. a lot more. But the magnum with flats comes very close to matching the impact of the PS500 and sounds a bit thicker in the lower midrange than the PS500.
The PS500 is not shrill like other Grados but there is a glare on some high pitched female vocals that is less pronounced on the Magnum. Part of that Magnum refinement, I suppose. Although, that glare is more noticeable on the magnum with flats than with bowls.
the PS500 allows me to get the wider and deeper soundstage improvements of using bowls without sacrificing bass quantity and a full midrange. I can get that nice, rich midrange on the Magnum, but I need flats to do it and that compresses the soundstage.
But, on the flip side, the Magnum is better behaved and is less prone to piercing female vocals at high volumes than the PS500. So if I stick with the PS500, I lose some of that refinement.
The PS500 also happen to be lighter and easier to wear. sigh. decisions. decisionspost #2169 of 23366/4/12 at 11:46pmpost #2170 of 23366/5/12 at 12:10ampost #2171 of 23366/5/12 at 2:06amQuote:
That's the general consensus. However Grado claims that the PS500 is slightly different.post #2172 of 23366/5/12 at 3:42am
I remember the Hf2 having more lower midrange bloom and more grain in the sound (noticeable with high pitched vocals and trumpets)
The magnum with flats sound closer to my memory of the HF2 with that thicker lower midrange. The PS500 doesn't have that lower midrange bloom with bowls.post #2173 of 23366/5/12 at 6:13ampost #2174 of 23366/5/12 at 6:35am
I’d say “almost” is accurate. But I do think the PS500 is better. (After listening to the PS500 all day yesterday and writing a bit about them, I went back to the PS500 thread when they came out and saw some early impressions that matched mine about the PS500 bass having more impact then the HF2 but the lower midrange not being so thick as the HF2. thought that was interesting)
I’m switching back to the Magnums now. I really like these with flat pads. they sound a bit thin with bowls but with pads they got such a nice, rich sound. definitely thicker than the PS500 with bowls - and more coloured than neutral - but very nice.post #2175 of 23366/5/12 at 6:45am
Interesting. To me the Magnum is superior to HF-2. Where do we place PS500 then? This is a valid comparison since they kind of belong in the same family in terms of sound signature.
- Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android + Amp Module... 6 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 9 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-29 (Single Ended Master Race lol) 2 minutes ago
- › Beyer T1.2 or HD800S? 2 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 5 minutes ago
- › He-400 bass? 7 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle V2 Universal six driver in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by MMansell
- › Philips SHE3595WT/28 In-Ear Headset with Mic White by stweb
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by ryanjsoo
- › Rhapsodio Galaxy by taz23
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by vapman
- › Rhapsodio Solar by ezekiel77
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by twister6
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse