I was recently educated about the difference. Do you mean rod tips or rod blocks?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 7/6/10
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF2 Headphonestagged by System, 3/10/11
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 1/27/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/12/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/21/10
- brandSymphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 12/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 9/4/14 at 8:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Which of the metal grados is your fav? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgradin from SR-125i's to what? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- which Grado? Last post on 5/28/11 at 10:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
I am from China and I'd like to say Chinese people are lucky enough to have the opportunity to reach most of device in the area of audio especially some brand only provided in China.So it made me...
The Theorem 720 is magical.. Using it is like stepping into a foreign land where everything is crisp, detailed, and so very vivid that you’ll never want to leave again for the boring, veiled,...
This is my first DAP. I bought it in August with pre-installed 2.1 firmware and I have to say I am positively surprised how great this player sounds. I honestly can not compare it with other DAPs...
Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2 - Page 145post #2161 of 23356/4/12 at 8:15am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2162 of 23356/4/12 at 9:45am
I don't think he can loose rodblocks during vacation so he must be referring to rodtips.
I don't know the name for these "screw locks", but they could work:
I'm sure it would be easy to buy them if we knew their name.
Edited by devouringone3 - 6/4/12 at 9:47ampost #2163 of 23356/4/12 at 9:45amQuote:
Ah, my apologies, I meant rod tips (although some sweet metal rod blocks would be wonderful too )post #2164 of 23356/4/12 at 9:48amQuote:
I like the look of that! (I'm pretty much using my rod blocks as rod tips atm (minus a mm or three on each side) seeing that I have a pretty huge skull, so I wouldn't really be able to pull the "lock them in place" thing off)post #2165 of 23356/4/12 at 9:53ampost #2166 of 23356/4/12 at 9:55ampost #2167 of 23356/4/12 at 10:22am
I think I paid $60 for mine, but don't quote me.post #2168 of 23356/4/12 at 2:48pm
I thought I’d add some comparison thoughts to the PS500 after my previous impressions here
I just got a set of PS500 delivered to me today and I’ve been going back and forth between the Magnums and PS500. At the same time, I’ve been flipping between the flats and bowls on the magnum (sticking with bowls on the PS500).
The PS500 with bowls has more bass power and impact than the Magnum with bowls. a lot more. But the magnum with flats comes very close to matching the impact of the PS500 and sounds a bit thicker in the lower midrange than the PS500.
The PS500 is not shrill like other Grados but there is a glare on some high pitched female vocals that is less pronounced on the Magnum. Part of that Magnum refinement, I suppose. Although, that glare is more noticeable on the magnum with flats than with bowls.
the PS500 allows me to get the wider and deeper soundstage improvements of using bowls without sacrificing bass quantity and a full midrange. I can get that nice, rich midrange on the Magnum, but I need flats to do it and that compresses the soundstage.
But, on the flip side, the Magnum is better behaved and is less prone to piercing female vocals at high volumes than the PS500. So if I stick with the PS500, I lose some of that refinement.
The PS500 also happen to be lighter and easier to wear. sigh. decisions. decisionspost #2169 of 23356/4/12 at 11:46pmpost #2170 of 23356/5/12 at 12:10ampost #2171 of 23356/5/12 at 2:06amQuote:
That's the general consensus. However Grado claims that the PS500 is slightly different.post #2172 of 23356/5/12 at 3:42am
I remember the Hf2 having more lower midrange bloom and more grain in the sound (noticeable with high pitched vocals and trumpets)
The magnum with flats sound closer to my memory of the HF2 with that thicker lower midrange. The PS500 doesn't have that lower midrange bloom with bowls.post #2173 of 23356/5/12 at 6:13ampost #2174 of 23356/5/12 at 6:35am
I’d say “almost” is accurate. But I do think the PS500 is better. (After listening to the PS500 all day yesterday and writing a bit about them, I went back to the PS500 thread when they came out and saw some early impressions that matched mine about the PS500 bass having more impact then the HF2 but the lower midrange not being so thick as the HF2. thought that was interesting)
I’m switching back to the Magnums now. I really like these with flat pads. they sound a bit thin with bowls but with pads they got such a nice, rich sound. definitely thicker than the PS500 with bowls - and more coloured than neutral - but very nice.post #2175 of 23356/5/12 at 6:45am
Interesting. To me the Magnum is superior to HF-2. Where do we place PS500 then? This is a valid comparison since they kind of belong in the same family in terms of sound signature.
- Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Schiit Lyr + Bifrost combo doesn't improve my music at all 1 second ago
- › Official Metro Detroit 2014 Meet/Party/Get-Together 9/20/2014... 23 seconds ago
- › Can Con 4.75 - Sydney Australia meet! 30 seconds ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 52 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › 2.1 speakers recommendation Creative t3 vs Logitech z623 vs Altec... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › SF Bay Area little big MEET (it's happening!) 3 minutes ago
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)