I was recently educated about the difference. Do you mean rod tips or rod blocks?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 7/6/10
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 3/10/11
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 1/27/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/12/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/21/10
- brandSymphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 12/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 1/6/17 at 10:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which of the metal grados is your fav? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgradin from SR-125i's to what? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- which Grado? Last post on 5/28/11 at 10:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
RHA DacAmp L1 Review January 2017 Intro To start with, thanks again to Glassmonkey for organising this tour and RHA making all possible to start with. RHA known for their IEMs...
The completely wireless Axgio Dash seems to be a pair of $49 Apple Airpod killer. I was skeptical at first. The Dash arrived in a small, simple no frills box. It looks exactly like the packaging...
*I was provided a review sample by iFi for the Black Label tour* iFi Micro iDSD BLACK LABEL Packaging and Build Quality The iDSD Black Label came packaged in a sturdy, well presented...
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2 - Page 145post #2161 of 23366/4/12 at 8:15am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2162 of 23366/4/12 at 9:45am
I don't think he can loose rodblocks during vacation so he must be referring to rodtips.
I don't know the name for these "screw locks", but they could work:
I'm sure it would be easy to buy them if we knew their name.
Edited by devouringone3 - 6/4/12 at 9:47ampost #2163 of 23366/4/12 at 9:45amQuote:
Ah, my apologies, I meant rod tips (although some sweet metal rod blocks would be wonderful too )post #2164 of 23366/4/12 at 9:48amQuote:
I like the look of that! (I'm pretty much using my rod blocks as rod tips atm (minus a mm or three on each side) seeing that I have a pretty huge skull, so I wouldn't really be able to pull the "lock them in place" thing off)post #2165 of 23366/4/12 at 9:53ampost #2166 of 23366/4/12 at 9:55ampost #2167 of 23366/4/12 at 10:22am
I think I paid $60 for mine, but don't quote me.post #2168 of 23366/4/12 at 2:48pm
I thought I’d add some comparison thoughts to the PS500 after my previous impressions here
I just got a set of PS500 delivered to me today and I’ve been going back and forth between the Magnums and PS500. At the same time, I’ve been flipping between the flats and bowls on the magnum (sticking with bowls on the PS500).
The PS500 with bowls has more bass power and impact than the Magnum with bowls. a lot more. But the magnum with flats comes very close to matching the impact of the PS500 and sounds a bit thicker in the lower midrange than the PS500.
The PS500 is not shrill like other Grados but there is a glare on some high pitched female vocals that is less pronounced on the Magnum. Part of that Magnum refinement, I suppose. Although, that glare is more noticeable on the magnum with flats than with bowls.
the PS500 allows me to get the wider and deeper soundstage improvements of using bowls without sacrificing bass quantity and a full midrange. I can get that nice, rich midrange on the Magnum, but I need flats to do it and that compresses the soundstage.
But, on the flip side, the Magnum is better behaved and is less prone to piercing female vocals at high volumes than the PS500. So if I stick with the PS500, I lose some of that refinement.
The PS500 also happen to be lighter and easier to wear. sigh. decisions. decisionspost #2169 of 23366/4/12 at 11:46pmpost #2170 of 23366/5/12 at 12:10ampost #2171 of 23366/5/12 at 2:06amQuote:
That's the general consensus. However Grado claims that the PS500 is slightly different.post #2172 of 23366/5/12 at 3:42am
I remember the Hf2 having more lower midrange bloom and more grain in the sound (noticeable with high pitched vocals and trumpets)
The magnum with flats sound closer to my memory of the HF2 with that thicker lower midrange. The PS500 doesn't have that lower midrange bloom with bowls.post #2173 of 23366/5/12 at 6:13ampost #2174 of 23366/5/12 at 6:35am
I’d say “almost” is accurate. But I do think the PS500 is better. (After listening to the PS500 all day yesterday and writing a bit about them, I went back to the PS500 thread when they came out and saw some early impressions that matched mine about the PS500 bass having more impact then the HF2 but the lower midrange not being so thick as the HF2. thought that was interesting)
I’m switching back to the Magnums now. I really like these with flat pads. they sound a bit thin with bowls but with pads they got such a nice, rich sound. definitely thicker than the PS500 with bowls - and more coloured than neutral - but very nice.post #2175 of 23366/5/12 at 6:45am
Interesting. To me the Magnum is superior to HF-2. Where do we place PS500 then? This is a valid comparison since they kind of belong in the same family in terms of sound signature.
- Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Headphone Impedance
- › XMOS F-1 not connecting to windows 10 PC or iphone 7 30 seconds ago
- › iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 4 minutes ago
- › Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp 5 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 6 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 7 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 7 minutes ago
- › OUT NOW: Shanling UP - A Hi-Res, MFI-Certified, USB-C, MINI-DAC/AMP... 8 minutes ago
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear