I was recently educated about the difference. Do you mean rod tips or rod blocks?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAlessandro MS2itagged by System, 7/6/10
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 3/10/11
- productGrado hp 2tagged by System, 1/27/11
- productGrado SR325stagged by System, 7/6/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/12/10
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 7/21/10
- brandSymphonestagged by System, 12/17/11
- productSymphones Magnumstagged by System, 12/17/11
Related Forum Threads
- Grado modders go Magnum Last post on 6/28/16 at 11:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Which of the metal grados is your fav? Last post on 10/5/11 at 3:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Worth tracking down Alessandro MS2i? Last post on 6/16/11 at 5:36am in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgradin from SR-125i's to what? Last post on 4/25/11 at 8:32pm in Headphones (full-size)
- which Grado? Last post on 5/28/11 at 10:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon to...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
I first used these as monitoring headphones for recording. They quickly moved out of my home studio and now I use them everywhere. I have one pair at home and one pair at work. I also take them...
The Good: Price/Quality ratio; Comfort; Bass quality/quantity; Musicality; Imaging. The Bad: Requires a powerful amplifier. Tonal Balance: V-Shaped Style: Circumaural semi-open. Cost: $250 at...
Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2 - Page 145post #2161 of 23366/4/12 at 8:15am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2162 of 23366/4/12 at 9:45am
I don't think he can loose rodblocks during vacation so he must be referring to rodtips.
I don't know the name for these "screw locks", but they could work:
I'm sure it would be easy to buy them if we knew their name.
Edited by devouringone3 - 6/4/12 at 9:47ampost #2163 of 23366/4/12 at 9:45amQuote:
Ah, my apologies, I meant rod tips (although some sweet metal rod blocks would be wonderful too )post #2164 of 23366/4/12 at 9:48amQuote:
I like the look of that! (I'm pretty much using my rod blocks as rod tips atm (minus a mm or three on each side) seeing that I have a pretty huge skull, so I wouldn't really be able to pull the "lock them in place" thing off)post #2165 of 23366/4/12 at 9:53ampost #2166 of 23366/4/12 at 9:55ampost #2167 of 23366/4/12 at 10:22am
I think I paid $60 for mine, but don't quote me.post #2168 of 23366/4/12 at 2:48pm
I thought I’d add some comparison thoughts to the PS500 after my previous impressions here
I just got a set of PS500 delivered to me today and I’ve been going back and forth between the Magnums and PS500. At the same time, I’ve been flipping between the flats and bowls on the magnum (sticking with bowls on the PS500).
The PS500 with bowls has more bass power and impact than the Magnum with bowls. a lot more. But the magnum with flats comes very close to matching the impact of the PS500 and sounds a bit thicker in the lower midrange than the PS500.
The PS500 is not shrill like other Grados but there is a glare on some high pitched female vocals that is less pronounced on the Magnum. Part of that Magnum refinement, I suppose. Although, that glare is more noticeable on the magnum with flats than with bowls.
the PS500 allows me to get the wider and deeper soundstage improvements of using bowls without sacrificing bass quantity and a full midrange. I can get that nice, rich midrange on the Magnum, but I need flats to do it and that compresses the soundstage.
But, on the flip side, the Magnum is better behaved and is less prone to piercing female vocals at high volumes than the PS500. So if I stick with the PS500, I lose some of that refinement.
The PS500 also happen to be lighter and easier to wear. sigh. decisions. decisionspost #2169 of 23366/4/12 at 11:46pmpost #2170 of 23366/5/12 at 12:10ampost #2171 of 23366/5/12 at 2:06amQuote:
That's the general consensus. However Grado claims that the PS500 is slightly different.post #2172 of 23366/5/12 at 3:42am
I remember the Hf2 having more lower midrange bloom and more grain in the sound (noticeable with high pitched vocals and trumpets)
The magnum with flats sound closer to my memory of the HF2 with that thicker lower midrange. The PS500 doesn't have that lower midrange bloom with bowls.post #2173 of 23366/5/12 at 6:13ampost #2174 of 23366/5/12 at 6:35am
I’d say “almost” is accurate. But I do think the PS500 is better. (After listening to the PS500 all day yesterday and writing a bit about them, I went back to the PS500 thread when they came out and saw some early impressions that matched mine about the PS500 bass having more impact then the HF2 but the lower midrange not being so thick as the HF2. thought that was interesting)
I’m switching back to the Magnums now. I really like these with flat pads. they sound a bit thin with bowls but with pads they got such a nice, rich sound. definitely thicker than the PS500 with bowls - and more coloured than neutral - but very nice.post #2175 of 23366/5/12 at 6:45am
Interesting. To me the Magnum is superior to HF-2. Where do we place PS500 then? This is a valid comparison since they kind of belong in the same family in terms of sound signature.
- Symphones Magnum upgrade for Grado SR325 and Alessandro MS2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › 👍DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, AK380, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1,... 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread 7 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 9 minutes ago
- › Cowon J3 vs Ibasso DX50 9 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 10 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica updates CKR series: ATH-CKR100, ATH-CKR90, ATH-CKR70 11 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 11 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression 13 minutes ago
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › ZhiYin Z2016 by crabdog
- › InEar StageDiver SD-4 (Small) by twister6
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...