or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 34

post #496 of 4545

Spent a little bit of time with the DT235.  They are quite comfortable indeed.  There sound seems to be polar opposite from the typical Beyer sound.  Well, to be fair, I only have experience with the DT880.  They were so bright I had to sell them.  But the 235 is WAY on the other end.  More of a dark signature.  Highs don't peak with a crispness.  Bass in these little babies is quite strong.  Not as tight and controlled as the HD25, but delivers more boom.  More like the bass of the ES7.  But also not quite as detailed. 

 

When I first started listening, I was thinking these sounded more along the lines of the PortaPro, but after further testing, I think they are darker than the PortaPro.  These might actually be closer to the HD238.  I like these better than the 238 also.  And picking up a dinged up box for 39.00 from headroom is a tremendous value, imo.

 

The thing that intrigues me about the 235 is the detail.  Normally with a darker headphone you don't get into too much detail (at least not at low to normal volumes), but these deliver surprisingly detailed nuances for a darker overtone. 

 

I do like these headphones.  They are not as upfront as I typically like.  Cans like the ES7 and the HD25-1ii are more my typical speed.  But the 235 has a spot in my collection long term I think.  I like the bass a lot.  I get in the mood on occasion for bass that thumps with a little swagger and looseness.  Hence the whole reason I got my Edition 8.  2 subwoofers sitting on my ears!!  Obviously the 235 and Edition 8 aren't in the same conversation, but you get the idea. 

 

Oh ya, and did anyone mention how comfortable the 235 is? 

post #497 of 4545

I have a pair of DT-235s on sale if anyone's interested. Dunno why but nobody has claimed interest yet. See the link in my signature.

 

I really love their sound signature and sounstage as well, but my ears can't take supraaurals at all.

post #498 of 4545
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor View Post

joker, do you think that the HA-M750 is as sensitive as the specs suggest? 115 dB @ 1V makes sense but not so much at 1mW considering they're also rated for 1W (<- haha).


I remember them being pretty sensitive but nothing out of the ordinary for portables. Certainly no trouble powering them with any device but I wouldn't say they are anywhere near as sensitive as, say, a UE SF3. Not sure about the 1W, however.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous View Post

Spent a little bit of time with the DT235.  They are quite comfortable indeed.  There sound seems to be polar opposite from the typical Beyer sound.  Well, to be fair, I only have experience with the DT880.  They were so bright I had to sell them.  But the 235 is WAY on the other end.  More of a dark signature.  Highs don't peak with a crispness.  Bass in these little babies is quite strong.  Not as tight and controlled as the HD25, but delivers more boom.  More like the bass of the ES7.  But also not quite as detailed. 

 

When I first started listening, I was thinking these sounded more along the lines of the PortaPro, but after further testing, I think they are darker than the PortaPro.  These might actually be closer to the HD238.  I like these better than the 238 also.  And picking up a dinged up box for 39.00 from headroom is a tremendous value, imo.

 

The thing that intrigues me about the 235 is the detail.  Normally with a darker headphone you don't get into too much detail (at least not at low to normal volumes), but these deliver surprisingly detailed nuances for a darker overtone. 

 

I do like these headphones.  They are not as upfront as I typically like.  Cans like the ES7 and the HD25-1ii are more my typical speed.  But the 235 has a spot in my collection long term I think.  I like the bass a lot.  I get in the mood on occasion for bass that thumps with a little swagger and looseness.  Hence the whole reason I got my Edition 8.  2 subwoofers sitting on my ears!!  Obviously the 235 and Edition 8 aren't in the same conversation, but you get the idea. 

 

Oh ya, and did anyone mention how comfortable the 235 is? 


Glad you like them and I agree on them being better than the HD238 (you're the third person to say so). More detailed and more airy (despite not being open). The HD238 sounds a bit thicker which doesn't help either.

post #499 of 4545

So my Creative Aurvana Live! arrived yesterday. Joker got them pretty much spot on. I agree with him about practically everything, with the exception of exaggerated bass. Actually, I DO agree, but only on certain devices. It's weird. Only running it straight off my girl's laptop had that bass emphasis. Every other device made them sound very well balanced, with a bass that didn't overwhelm all other frequencies.

 

I love the CAL! They aren't the best at music, gaming, or movies in their price range, but they do ALL three so well that anyone who wants a multi-purpose headphone who needs them to do many things, should hurry and pick them up. Oh and their comfort is ridiculous. Best. Pads, EVER.

post #500 of 4545

Just one simple question here (since this seems to be the appropriate thread to ask in): are the Sennheiser PX200-II good with rock/metal or not? I'm looking for articulate mids, impactful but NOT boomy bass and clarity, clarity, clarity. Had the HD238 but sold them - open cans are useless to me, as I later found out, and their sound was not really what I'm looking for, too dark and slow, with added harshness. 

 

I'm looking for the opposite of that, smooth, clean, balanced sound. The only other real contender is the Beyer DT235, which cost a bit more and don't really impress me with their looks or ergonomics.

 

So, is the PX200-II what I'm looking for?

post #501 of 4545

I'll answer that( the PX200-II and DT235 were on loan from me). They both have the sound you want but the DT235 is better and has a bit more low end impact. The PX200-II is quick and agile and clear down low but needs a bit more impact(EQ/Amp). The Beyer has even more clarity across the range and is a bit more smooth. The PX200-II is real good and if you feel you can adjust for more bass(if needed) with your source, it is a good phone and is more portable than the Beyer and can save you some $$$.

post #502 of 4545

Thank you jant71. I'm pulling the trigger on these ASAP, because summer is really unbearable with fullsize pleather pads..  That's actually my main reason for getting a portable, the HD448 are great cans to me, but not to be worn in the summer (they do make great earmuffs in winter though).

post #503 of 4545

after a handful of weeks with the Coby's, and still being impressed with the sound quality, of course i'm still enjoying them.  for comfortability, though, i'll say that the Flats by JVC are more favored by my dome.  i'm in the process of upgrading/replacing stereo components right now and once i settle on that stuff, i will be seeking out more expensive headphones to enjoy all of that.

 

i do want to add that this thread is pretty invaluable.  the reviews are amazing and a great barometer for weeding out crap user reviews on Amazon (where i purchase most of this stuff).  so, thanks again.

post #504 of 4545

 


@Mad Lust Envy: yes, creative aurvana is really a dark horse, no one will think that this portable headphones will sound this good before this thread

post #505 of 4545
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt. View Post

after a handful of weeks with the Coby's, and still being impressed with the sound quality, of course i'm still enjoying them.  for comfortability, though, i'll say that the Flats by JVC are more favored by my dome.  i'm in the process of upgrading/replacing stereo components right now and once i settle on that stuff, i will be seeking out more expensive headphones to enjoy all of that.


Having both the Cobys and the Flats and figuring out what you like/don't like about both is sure to help when you decide to upgrade. 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt. View Post

i do want to add that this thread is pretty invaluable.  the reviews are amazing and a great barometer for weeding out crap user reviews on Amazon (where i purchase most of this stuff).  so, thanks again.


Thanks. I know updates have been slow (or.. worse) lately but I do have something planned for the 1-year anniversary of this thread.

post #506 of 4545

I know what it is! You are going to add the M50 and declare all other phones in this review useless!

post #507 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

I know what it is! You are going to add the M50 and declare all other phones in this review useless!


Maybe except for the Phiaton's and the HD25. 

post #508 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post

I know what it is! You are going to add the M50 and declare all other phones in this review useless!


Blasphemy! Who dares question the prowess and dominance of the ksc75!? :)

post #509 of 4545

Pasting this here so I can paste this later on when people want impressions of the CAL on other threads...

 

I don't even wanna go into how many headphones I have bought/tried/tested in the past 6 months, ranging from $15 to $300. The CAL is simply the best MULTI-PURPOSE headphone I have used, period. If I had to keep ONLY ONE headphone, the CAL would be it, because of just how pleasant they are to use with everything I throw at them. Gaming? Oh hell yeah. Movies? You bet. Music? Of course.

 

The most comfortable pair of headphones I have ever used, EASILY better than premium and pro Beyerdynamics. Lightweight, easy as pie fit. Relatively good soundstage for a closed can (depth and width)  and EXCELLENT positioning. To compare, No other can that I have used bests it when it comes to overall pinpoint accuracy, soundstage, and overall clarity, especially for gaming. The DT770 Pro 80s have a larger soundstage and slightly better accuracy in pinpointing sounds (I stress slightly), but they have a veil over the sound compared to the CAL, and are TOO bass heavy for competitive gaming, whereas the CAL sounds well rounded all around. Bass is powerful without it being overwhelming, and the clarity is crisp. To compare to a more popular M50, the M50s have MORE bass, but no soundstage. I'd say the CAL has about 90% of the bass the M50s have. No one says the M50s are boomy, just slightly emphasized.

 

The bad is that it doesn't fold. It has gotten boomy, though I have only experienced this on my girl's laptop. In everything else, it has been a downright awesome can. As mentioned before, they don't isolate well. They isolate as well as a semi-open headphone. They however don't leak out much. Only in extremely high volumes can they leak out sound, but even then it's just slightly. Not a problem even for my girlfriend sleeping 5 feet from me. Isolation has never been an issue, unless you use them in a loud area.

 

I'd say it's a very sensitive device, because it certainly didn't sound bad anywhere but on her laptop. Perhaps her crappy soundcard didn't help. People completely disregard the CAL because it isn't an Audio Technica, AKG, Beyer, or Grado. It is however practically a Denon D1001k with more plastic components, different cosmetics but same drivers and headband. After all my searching for a headphone that can do everything well, I settled for the CAL and haven't looked back.

 

 

 

 

Comfort: 11/10 - Just trust me. The pads are so comfy, it's insane. They also don't even get that hot even though they are pleather.

 

Music: 8/10 - I prefer the M50 slightly more because they are more in your face, whereas the CAL is just a teeny bit more relaxed. However, they are still awesome. I'd put them right there with the ES7s (both which I currently own and A/B all the time), with the ES7 being brighter and harsher on the treble, as well as being bassier with more recessed mids. The CAL sounds more pleasant all around, but can still be aggressive. They are fun, easy to drive cans.

 

Movies: 9/10 - Soundstage and surround sound positioning is topnotch, and the bass just makes them a blast to use with movies.

 

Gaming: 9/10 - Are they better than the AD700 or K701/K702 for gaming? No. But they are better than A40s, Tritton Ax Pros, M50, DT880 (IMHO, because the DT880 lacked good rear audio cues, whereas the CAL makes the rear cues obvious). A good gaming can should have accurate positioning, excellent clarity, and great front/rear audio cues. The CAL has all of these, as well as adding a touch of bass. This is when I pair them up with a surround sound amp like the Mixamp. Don't really game with headphones in normal stereo.

 

Price: 10/10; For $60 on Newegg, these are a STEAL. I would've EASILY paid over double for them. But then what's the point, as I could've gotten the Denon D1001k for that price. I saved myself some cash with the CAL.

 

Creative haters can talk all they want, but these are a genuinely good pair of well rounded cans. They are just branded by Creative anyway. Think of them as the Denon D1001k with more plastic in them. They are still well built. Unless I slammed them on the floor, I don't see them ever breaking on me.

 

Like I said, they aren't the best at anything. Don't expect miracles. Expect a GREAT headphone that does everything relatively well, as well as being extremely comfy, and cheap on Newegg.


Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/27/10 at 7:25am
post #510 of 4545

Yeah the CAL's great. The D1001 offers a bit more room for (big) ears because the pads are thinner and of a bit different shape. But they sound pretty much the same, on measurements the CAL's even look better.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)