or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 259

post #3871 of 4545
Look into the Yamaha PRO 500. A little pricey but completely worth it. It's balanced across the board with excellent layering, imaging and good soundstage. The bass is not lacking whatsoever and does not intrude into the mids. They are slightly on the bigger side of portable but definitely doable for portable use. They have great timbre accuracy as well - the best I have heard in a full-size yet. Highs are extended without sibilance.
post #3872 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseliottt View Post

Well in general, have you heard any relatively portable headphones that aren't congested in sound, but extend well in bass? I just like being able to pick out the separate sounds and not have the instruments mix into each other when the track gets busy. At the same time I don't like when the bass is non-existent.

 

I just bought the AT a900x and I really like the sound, but walking with the wing system is a no go. Do you know any portable headphones that sound similar? Do the portable AT offerings like the ESW9 or 10 sound similar? I also have the Denon D600 but they're too big to be portable.


A lot of things aren't congested and yet have well-extended bass- the V-Moda M-80, for example. It doesn't sound anything like an Ety, though.

 

I have not heard the A900X. The ESW9A and ES10 are not very ety-like either. The ES10 has tons of well-extended bass, though. 

post #3873 of 4545
This weekend, the HD428 is $36 at Newegg.com. Just a heads up.
post #3874 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

This weekend, the HD428 is $36 at Newegg.com. Just a heads up.


Good price for a new one, though I see refurbs in the <$30 range pretty often.

 

The HD428 is the can that sits on my computer for the odd youtube video or quick gaming session when speakers won't do. 

post #3875 of 4545

Hi,

 

Do you think you might review the Logitech/UE 9000 anytime soon?

Sorry, I guess those don't qualify as 'portables', hence they wouldn't fit in this category.

 

Thanks!


Edited by Louis8ball - 2/16/13 at 2:13pm
post #3876 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

This weekend, the HD428 is $36 at Newegg.com. Just a heads up.


Good price for a new one, though I see refurbs in the <$30 range pretty often.

 

The HD428 is the can that sits on my computer for the odd youtube video or quick gaming session when speakers won't do. 


My girlfriend got a pair for a friend, and I think they were ~$70, it seemed like a good price new. Also, sorry for the delay, I'll get those MH1Cs off to you on Monday or Tuesday.

post #3877 of 4545

I just got my first headphone the Bower & Wilkins P5. I know it's a lot for a fancy design, but I got them cheap. I'm looking to get something else since they clamp way too hard on my head. 

 

Is it so that on-ear headphones will never be as comfortable as around-ear? Wich is some of the most comfortable yet stylish headphones out there without compromising too much on sound quality?  I have a pretty small head so a lot of the bigger headphones don't fit me. 

post #3878 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudabox View Post

I just got my first headphone the Bower & Wilkins P5. I know it's a lot for a fancy design, but I got them cheap. I'm looking to get something else since they clamp way too hard on my head. 

 

Is it so that on-ear headphones will never be as comfortable as around-ear? Wich is some of the most comfortable yet stylish headphones out there without compromising too much on sound quality?  I have a pretty small head so a lot of the bigger headphones don't fit me. 


Fischer Oldskool 33 1\3 seems to fit your request pretty well.

post #3879 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis8ball View Post

Hi,

 

Do you think you might review the Logitech/UE 9000 anytime soon?

Sorry, I guess those don't qualify as 'portables', hence they wouldn't fit in this category.

 

Thanks!

 

Not planning on it yet. Want to try the M-100 first :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudabox View Post

I just got my first headphone the Bower & Wilkins P5. I know it's a lot for a fancy design, but I got them cheap. I'm looking to get something else since they clamp way too hard on my head. 

 

Is it so that on-ear headphones will never be as comfortable as around-ear? Wich is some of the most comfortable yet stylish headphones out there without compromising too much on sound quality?  I have a pretty small head so a lot of the bigger headphones don't fit me. 


The Fischer mentioned above if you like the retro look. The Sennheiser PX100 and HD2*8 and HD2*9 series headphones are also very comfortable and some of them look decent. 

post #3880 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Not planning on it yet. Want to try the M-100 first :)

 


The Fischer mentioned above if you like the retro look. The Sennheiser PX100 and HD2*8 and HD2*9 series headphones are also very comfortable and some of them look decent. 

Thanks for replying Drakkard and ljokerl.

I'm intrigued about the Fischers - what kind of music suits this hp? I'm listening to jazz, some jazzy hip hop and downbeat, slow hip hop, pop, rockish like radiohead, some quieter electronica, indie, folkish. 

 

About the sennheiser hd2. What do you mean with "HD2*8", is it just the regular HD25 or what? 

 

Edit: I will drive them from a iPod and a simple laptop so they need to sound good unamped. I read that the oldskool doesn't sound as good on lower volumes wich is quite dissapointing since I mostly listen at under 40% or even less - perhaps I turn it up only on a short busride. 


Edited by Cudabox - 2/22/13 at 9:56am
post #3881 of 4545
Think he meant the 200-series, e.g. HD 238 etc.
post #3882 of 4545

@ljokerl

 

Just want to say thanks for building this review database... Really appreciate this and much respect in behalf from us users in the Philippines.  This has been one of our go-to resource before auditioning/buying our portables (along with your IEMs database too).
 

Btw, any chance you can review the M-100?  ... Critic reviews for this are mostly positive and praises all over while it's a mixed reviews bag here in Head-Fi. Wondering if you were also one of the individuals 'crowdsourced' by Val and his crew in its development?  Here's hoping you can get to review the V-Moda M-100 in the near future, there's nothing like unbiased words/opinions from someone who has been through a LOT of units firsthand and has refined his craft over the years of reviews.  Kinda hard to cough up $300 for something I can't have the chance to audition...


Edited by d m41n man - 2/22/13 at 1:52pm
post #3883 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudabox View Post

Thanks for replying Drakkard and ljokerl.

I'm intrigued about the Fischers - what kind of music suits this hp? I'm listening to jazz, some jazzy hip hop and downbeat, slow hip hop, pop, rockish like radiohead, some quieter electronica, indie, folkish. 

 

Should be fine. They are probably weakest for classical and most likable with pop or electronica.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

Think he meant the 200-series, e.g. HD 238 etc.

 

That's correct, HD218/228/238 and 219/229/239

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d m41n man View Post

@ljokerl

 

Just want to say thanks for building this review database... Really appreciate this and much respect in behalf from us users in the Philippines.  This has been one of our go-to resource before auditioning/buying our portables (along with your IEMs database too).
 

Btw, any chance you can review the M-100?  ... Critic reviews for this are mostly positive and praises all over while it's a mixed reviews bag here in Head-Fi. Wondering if you were also one of the individuals 'crowdsourced' by Val and his crew in its development?  Here's hoping you can get to review the V-Moda M-100 in the near future, there's nothing like unbiased words/opinions from someone who has been through a LOT of units firsthand and has refined his craft over the years of reviews.  Kinda hard to cough up $300 for something I can't have the chance to audition...

 

Thanks beerchug.gif

 

I did not participate in any M-100 discussion past providing feedback on the M-80. I should be able to get my hands on the M-100 in the near future. 

post #3884 of 4545

Hi,

 

Had my set my sights on the CALs, but started to get interested in the Vmoda M80..is about 3 times more expensive. But would it be a better choice than the Call? If so in what way?

 

Will be using it for my Ipods.

post #3885 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan1415 View Post

Hi,

 

Had my set my sights on the CALs, but started to get interested in the Vmoda M80..is about 3 times more expensive. But would it be a better choice than the Call? If so in what way?

 

Will be using it for my Ipods.


Aside from being more portable, more isolating, and much better-built, the M-80 is also a little tighter and smoother than the CAL!. Not a huge sound quality difference but I'd much rather have the M-80 for portable use and the CAL! for use at home.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)