or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 218

post #3256 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHead Meelec View Post

does the Denon AH-D1100 have as much bass as beats

it has more IMO

post #3257 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hova View Post

I found the Superlux HD668B for 30€, is that a steal or should I be able to get better cans for that price? Would mostly be used for stationary use.

 

If you're looking for a monitor or just a more or less balanced-sounding headphone I don't think you'll do much better than the HD668B.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHead Meelec View Post

I woould get the crossfade lp because of its durability but if the denon ad1100 has more impact than beats Do you think i should get that.
 

 

I clearly think the D1100 is a better headphone..

post #3258 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
I clearly think the D1100 is a better headphone..

Wouldn't the CAL! fit into that group as well for a fraction of the price? A lot of impact in a good headphone? Just a thought.

post #3259 of 4545
Joker would you consider testing the sony mdr zx300s?
post #3260 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

Wouldn't the CAL! fit into that group as well for a fraction of the price? A lot of impact in a good headphone? Just a thought.

 

The CAL! is not as bassy as the D1100 or Crossfade LP and won't hold up as well to abuse. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

Joker would you consider testing the sony mdr zx300s?

 

I don't have one available for review

post #3261 of 4545

I like the effort you put into the list.  Wish you added the AKG q460 that you mention a few times, but now even as I type there is a newer version of that portable line (AKG 451.)  They are an exciting listen when I want to listen to faster music.  I own the Ultrasone HFI-15G.  Personally I think you gave it a far worse score in sound quality than deserved, although I think it might be closer to the right score when unamped.  They sound a lot better after used almost daily for a month.  Really opened things up, but I can understand with all these headphones you are reviewing I am sure your time is limited with most.  You aught to gave it a score next to it when amped : ).  They sound so very much better with my Xonar Essence sound card with it's built in amp and great internal DAC.  And even a good ol cMoy make these cans magical.  As far as the other areas for the Ultrasones I think you nailed it, but a 6.75 is just too low of a score for their price when driven correctly and used with a decent source.  Even a more powerful portable player such as a good Cowon would easily make the sound quality jump up 1 point at least.  Sorry if I seem to be a bit nit-picky on that particular score, but I have a passion for those in particular headphones.  : ) Keep up the good work though.


Edited by ekolite - 7/10/12 at 6:57am
post #3262 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolite View Post

I like the effort you put into the list.  Wish you added the AKG q460 that you mention a few times, but now even as I type there is a newer version of that portable line (AKG 451.)  They are an exciting listen when I want to listen to faster music.  I own the Ultrasone HFI-15G.  Personally I think you gave it a far worse score in sound quality than deserved, although I think it might be closer to the right score when unamped.  They sound a lot better after used almost daily for a month.  Really opened things up, but I can understand with all these headphones you are reviewing I am sure your time is limited with most.  You aught to gave it a score next to it when amped : ).  They sound so very much better with my Xonar Essence sound card with it's built in amp and great internal DAC.  And even a good ol cMoy make these cans magical.  As far as the other areas for the Ultrasones I think you nailed it, but a 6.75 is just too low of a score for their price when driven correctly and used with a decent source.  Even a more powerful portable player such as a good Cowon would easily make the sound quality jump up 1 point at least.  Sorry if I seem to be a bit nit-picky on that particular score, but I have a passion for those in particular headphones.  : ) Keep up the good work though.

 

Some nice thoughts. There are two versions of the HFI-15G so make sure they are the same. That might account for a difference.

 

Interesting about the K451and faster music. I have a K422 and it is the quickest of the little on-ears I have heard. Dynamic with quick transients yet the decay isn't lacking or abrupt. Though this K422 doesn't seem to be new; 2008 on my box. Not really a K420 rehash since it has equal treble and bass amounts where the K420 is usually called bassy with just enough treble to keep them clean.

post #3263 of 4545

Thought I'd join to say this thread is fantastic. Wouldn't have gotten my (what I consider now to be) reference pairs without it. Still on the hunt for a HTF600 I can buy locally - I'm a brick and mortar kinda guy.

post #3264 of 4545
Is it possible for a headphone with a 30mm driver to be better than a headphone with a 40mm driver or is it just plain impossible?
post #3265 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

Is it possible for a headphone with a 30mm driver to be better than a headphone with a 40mm driver or is it just plain impossible?

 

Definitely possible.

post #3266 of 4545

Possible but it all depends on what an individual's preferences are at the end of the day. IME smaller drivers = smaller soundstages (with the exception of the M-80), which could be a deal-breaker for some. However, cans with smaller drivers can sometimes be more detailed than cans with bigger drivers (eg: M-80/DT 1350/HD25 vs Beats) and thus better for some. :)

 

In the end, it's not necessarily about driver size, more than how well tuned the drivers are along with all the elements that go in to making a headphone (housing, dampening, etc.). Personal preferences come into this as well and that's where you decide which headphone is best for you.


Edited by roma101 - 7/11/12 at 5:45pm
post #3267 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Possible but it all depends on what an individual's preferences are at the end of the day. IME smaller drivers = smaller soundstages (with the exception of the M-80), which could be a deal-breaker for some. However, cans with smaller drivers can sometimes be more detailed than cans with bigger drivers (eg: M-80/DT 1350/HD25 vs Beats) and thus better for some. :)

 

In the end, it's not necessarily about driver size, more than how well tuned the drivers are along with all the elements that go in to making a headphone (housing, dampening, etc.). Personal preferences come into this as well and that's where you decide which headphone is best for you.

does smaller soundstages mean a smaller frequency response range like 10 - 24,000 Hz or does it mean something else?

post #3268 of 4545
Nope sound stage would depend on other factors.
post #3269 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderingEye View Post

Thought I'd join to say this thread is fantastic. Wouldn't have gotten my (what I consider now to be) reference pairs without it. Still on the hunt for a HTF600 I can buy locally - I'm a brick and mortar kinda guy.

 

Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

Is it possible for a headphone with a 30mm driver to be better than a headphone with a 40mm driver or is it just plain impossible?

 

Absolutely. It's all in the quality of the driver and the tuning. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

does smaller soundstages mean a smaller frequency response range like 10 - 24,000 Hz or does it mean something else?

 

This might be useful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary

post #3270 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

Is it possible for a headphone with a 30mm driver to be better than a headphone with a 40mm driver or is it just plain impossible?

it's about quality, not quantity. A 20mm driver can demolish a 50mm driver, if the 20mm driver is better quality.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)