or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 193

post #2881 of 4545

I'm looking at the Stretch, and I'm trying to figure out how it connects to the other earcup? I know the cable is one-sided, but I dont see any wire running through the headband to the other driver. Anybody know?

 

post #2882 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebandonesound View Post

I'm looking at the Stretch, and I'm trying to figure out how it connects to the other earcup? I know the cable is one-sided, but I dont see any wire running through the headband to the other driver. Anybody know?

 


never thought about it, hope it is not through that soft head support, most probably some very tiny wires between the clear headband.

 

post #2883 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebandonesound View Post

I'm looking at the Stretch, and I'm trying to figure out how it connects to the other earcup? I know the cable is one-sided, but I dont see any wire running through the headband to the other driver. Anybody know?

 


The one headphone with a translucent headband and you can't see the cablewink_face.gif? Its right there along the edge. I'm sure Joker snapped it on that side so you can see it. It is red/burgundy and the headband is smokey gray so it is pretty easy to spot.

 


Edited by jant71 - 2/2/12 at 1:27pm
post #2884 of 4545

I didn't get proper chance to try them, but the bass on the HD 25's sounded pretty good to me. They didn't resonate, but they had a very impressive punch. 

post #2885 of 4545

This shootout is one of the most wonderful and helpful threads on head-fi.....period.happy_face1.gif

post #2886 of 4545

Yeah...this thread has saved me a LOT of money. etysmile.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouspensky View Post

This shootout is one of the most wonderful and helpful threads on head-fi.....period.happy_face1.gif



 

post #2887 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah...this thread has saved me a LOT of money. etysmile.gif

 

It made me spend a lot of money biggrin.gif


Edited by JamesMcProgger - 2/3/12 at 3:41am
post #2888 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators View Post

Many thanks to joker, this is the thread staying in my bookmark and have to read once in a few weeks. 


Thanks! I hope I am able to update it that often redface.gif

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post



I found the HD25-1 ii to be too bright and fatiguing for me, as well. That doesn't mean that |joker| is wrong or that this thread is a waste of time.rolleyes.gif

 

Sound signature preference is very subjective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that he's wrong.

 

Maybe he should make the disclaimer bigger for people who have problems reading:

 

Disclaimer: All of these tests are subjective. I am basing the outcomes of these tests purely on what I hear, using my ears and my setups. Also, I am trying to scale all of the scores to the best of the bunch as much as possible – that is, the 10/10 rating in each category goes to the headphone that performs best in that particular category out of all the ones I’ve tested.


I wouldn't expect someone who did not notice that the HD25 was supraaural to notice a disclaimer of any size.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post

After getting my K518LE the one difference I can see between it and the K81 is that the K81 appears to have a much beefier straight plug compared to the wimpy one of the K518, and the K518 has a 3 ft cable as opposed to the 8.2 ft cable.

 

I really do like these headphones though. The 3d-axis makes it very convenient and unobtrusive to hang around the neck.


That makes sense considering that the K518 was brought out as the consumer version to the DJ-oriented K81.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

oh lol. the rants Joker have to put out with...

and I thought the HD25 had just what I consider the to be my limit between enough and too much bass. guess I'm wrong too! oh geez. someone redirects him to the the "bass head" thread

 

Joker you're doing awesome man, thank you again for all this. and nice to see some action here after the M80 break!


Heh +1 on HD25 bass. More would be excessive for my taste. Less (a-la DN-HP700) is fine too.

 

I've got a lot of stuff to cover for this thread, hopefully no more long breaks. Haven't decided if I want to do a Denon D2k review - it's not much bigger than the D1100 but technically doesn't fit my criteria since it has an 8' cord. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post


The one headphone with a translucent headband and you can't see the cablewink_face.gif? Its right there along the edge. I'm sure Joker snapped it on that side so you can see it. It is red/burgundy and the headband is smokey gray so it is pretty easy to spot.

 


That is correct - cable runs through the edge of the headband. Glad to see you here!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouspensky View Post

This shootout is one of the most wonderful and helpful threads on head-fi.....period.happy_face1.gif


Thank you beerchug.gif

 

post #2889 of 4545

ljokerl, might you review ATH-ES88 later?

post #2890 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah...this thread has saved me a LOT of money. etysmile.gif
 



 



I would put it more along the lines of... putting the alotted money into the right places. ;)

post #2891 of 4545

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Added Sony MDR-PQ2 and Philips O'Neill SHO9560

 

 

 



Whew, those PIIQ PQ2 are some of the fugliest portables I have ever seen.  They look like a bad set of sofa cushions from the 1970s!

 

(p.s. in the last sentence in the review it looks like an 'o' is missing in 'Coloud')

 

The Philips Stretch, on the other hand, looks really nice.  Would love to try those out and see how they compare to the Sennheiser HD428s.  I quite liked the HD428s but I think you had a slightly higher overall rating on the HD428s than I gave them ... but if I remember correctly you got them at a substantially lower price than I did.

 

post #2892 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroemission View Post

this thread proved to be a total waste of my time. i ended up buying the sennheiser HD25s and hated them so much i returned them even with a $94 deal. they had absolutely NO BASS! i burned them in for about 20 hours too playing dubstep at earsplitting volume levels when i slept, but even then, they had less bass than a pair of 4 1/2" bookshelf speakers. there wasn't just a lack of bass either, they were EXTREMELY bright & forward to the point they were extremely fatiguing to listen to. yes, they were very detailed, but i ended up buying a $50 pair of AKG K44s locally and like the sound better all around. the bass is fuller, though still not as loud as it is on a pair of reference speakers, but at least you can hear it on tracks with really deep bass. the treble on the AKGs is much smoother & flatter and has about as much detail without a direct side by side comparison.

 

i also hated that the sennheisers weren't over the ear cans either like i thought they were. they might be durable, but they felt lightweight & cheap for the price and i got sick & tired of getting poked in the ear every time i put them on because of the swivel cups and the fact that i only have 1 arm.

 

i REALLY miss the days where you could go into a shop and actually LISTEN to a pair of cans. i almost bought a really awesome pair of beyers for about $150 back in the 80s because they had an effortless sound from top to bottom with full bass and had extremely comfortable velour pads.

 

i just didn't like ANYTHING about the HD25s. don't believe everything you read. they would work great for DJing maybe because you can play them at extreme volumes without them distorting or for mixing because of the detail, but for pleasure listening, they sucked rotten eggs. i liked the cheap $25 sennheiser 202s i bought that eventually broke when a heavy duffle bag's strap ruined a wire better. those had really nice bass and even covered more of the ear. i also didn't like using cans with not only extremely long cords, but thick ones at that too. i wish more makers would start offering their better over the ear phones with short cords for portable use as a lot of people don't like in ear phones.

 

i think i'll upgrade the K44s to something with more bass and really liked the look of sony's top of the line megabass phones (700 series i think), but it seems EVERY phone that has a decent price and bass extension gets frowned on. i'm not a fan of excessive bass at all as it gives me a headache, but when you KNOW it's there but can't hear it even with bass boost sapping your battery life, it's annoying.

 

as an amateur DJ, i listen to a lot of dance tracks on the bus and NEED phones i can hear the beat with. the K44s are really detailed and even FUN to listen to with a relaxed sound, but they don't have enough bass to "feel it" without some boost on an mp3 player, particularly the cube C30 which is bass limited, but they walk all over those $200 HD25s at just 1/4 the price in the bass department. they sound less closed in too though not as open as a good pair of open air phones. the HD25s are HIDEOUS sounding on the binaural recordings i've made and totally destroy the image. even my old $30 JVC semi-open cans sound more natural.

 

i wanted to get back here to comment on just how much i disagree with this shootout's premise that the HD25s are "top of the line". they're pure crap as far as i'm concerned and wouldn't pay more than $30 for them. the AKG clone sampsons i bought for $50 with a large diaphragm mic included were more pleasurable to listen to as well though not exactly bass champs either, but were extremely detailed & natural otherwise. the 25s sound like someone put about 5dB boost in the 5-10kHz range.


 

You really shouldn't complain.

 

I would like to see you contain two enormous threads ( portable headphone and IEM )reviewing monstrous amounts of audio products,   while making it will organized, while commenting on the questions that show up , and putting up with useless complainers like you.

 

You seriously have no right to call this thread, with countless hours of work a "total waste of time", unless you managed to do the work that ljokerl did.

 

Please go ahead, make a thread where you can walk in to the screen and "actually listen to the headphones".

If you actually expect a online post to be as good as walking into a headphones store then.....

 

 

Also:

Everyone has different ears and a different way of percieving sound. Please know that. ljokerl isn't able to look through every single persons mind and learn every single person's sound preference and change his entire thread according to that. You really shouldn't just fall back into this thread as your 100% primary source, which I clearly see you did.

 

 

/rant

 

post #2893 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

ljokerl, might you review ATH-ES88 later?


Never heard of it. Another japan-only ATH?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitakr View Post

 



Whew, those PIIQ PQ2 are some of the fugliest portables I have ever seen.  They look like a bad set of sofa cushions from the 1970s!

 

(p.s. in the last sentence in the review it looks like an 'o' is missing in 'Coloud')

 

The Philips Stretch, on the other hand, looks really nice.  Would love to try those out and see how they compare to the Sennheiser HD428s.  I quite liked the HD428s but I think you had a slightly higher overall rating on the HD428s than I gave them ... but if I remember correctly you got them at a substantially lower price than I did.

 


The PQ2 is very colorful and somehow managed to raise my mood when I used it. Definitely an acquired taste, though, especially for someone with an HD25 affinity.

 

The Stretch misses quite a bit of clarity and detail next to the HD428 and also lacks the airiness and treble smoothness, which is why I would put the Senns a tier higher personally. Stretch still sounds pretty pleasant - not so much for the $100 MSRP, but for the $35-50 street price.

post #2894 of 4545

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


Never heard of it. Another japan-only ATH?

...

 

For now it is.  Hopefully it won't be Japan-exclusive later.

post #2895 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroemission View Post

this thread proved to be a total waste of my time. i ended up buying the sennheiser HD25s and hated them so much i returned them even with a $94 deal. they had absolutely NO BASS! i burned them in for about 20 hours too playing dubstep at earsplitting volume levels when i slept, but even then, they had less bass than a pair of 4 1/2" bookshelf speakers. there wasn't just a lack of bass either, they were EXTREMELY bright & forward to the point they were extremely fatiguing to listen to. yes, they were very detailed, but i ended up buying a $50 pair of AKG K44s locally and like the sound better all around. the bass is fuller, though still not as loud as it is on a pair of reference speakers, but at least you can hear it on tracks with really deep bass. the treble on the AKGs is much smoother & flatter and has about as much detail without a direct side by side comparison.

 

i also hated that the sennheisers weren't over the ear cans either like i thought they were. they might be durable, but they felt lightweight & cheap for the price and i got sick & tired of getting poked in the ear every time i put them on because of the swivel cups and the fact that i only have 1 arm.

 

i REALLY miss the days where you could go into a shop and actually LISTEN to a pair of cans. i almost bought a really awesome pair of beyers for about $150 back in the 80s because they had an effortless sound from top to bottom with full bass and had extremely comfortable velour pads.

 

i just didn't like ANYTHING about the HD25s. don't believe everything you read. they would work great for DJing maybe because you can play them at extreme volumes without them distorting or for mixing because of the detail, but for pleasure listening, they sucked rotten eggs. i liked the cheap $25 sennheiser 202s i bought that eventually broke when a heavy duffle bag's strap ruined a wire better. those had really nice bass and even covered more of the ear. i also didn't like using cans with not only extremely long cords, but thick ones at that too. i wish more makers would start offering their better over the ear phones with short cords for portable use as a lot of people don't like in ear phones.

 

i think i'll upgrade the K44s to something with more bass and really liked the look of sony's top of the line megabass phones (700 series i think), but it seems EVERY phone that has a decent price and bass extension gets frowned on. i'm not a fan of excessive bass at all as it gives me a headache, but when you KNOW it's there but can't hear it even with bass boost sapping your battery life, it's annoying.

 

as an amateur DJ, i listen to a lot of dance tracks on the bus and NEED phones i can hear the beat with. the K44s are really detailed and even FUN to listen to with a relaxed sound, but they don't have enough bass to "feel it" without some boost on an mp3 player, particularly the cube C30 which is bass limited, but they walk all over those $200 HD25s at just 1/4 the price in the bass department. they sound less closed in too though not as open as a good pair of open air phones. the HD25s are HIDEOUS sounding on the binaural recordings i've made and totally destroy the image. even my old $30 JVC semi-open cans sound more natural.

 

i wanted to get back here to comment on just how much i disagree with this shootout's premise that the HD25s are "top of the line". they're pure crap as far as i'm concerned and wouldn't pay more than $30 for them. the AKG clone sampsons i bought for $50 with a large diaphragm mic included were more pleasurable to listen to as well though not exactly bass champs either, but were extremely detailed & natural otherwise. the 25s sound like someone put about 5dB boost in the 5-10kHz range.


For someone who supposedly bought headphones back in the 80's you act like someone whose 14 and spoiled. I don't understand your beef dude, a U shape sound signature means usually the highs are spiked. If you didn't want spiked highs you shouldn't have bought a U shaped sound signature. If you didn't know what a u shape sound signature was then you should have been less lazy and done a little more research. Another thing you should know is unlike you joker and the rest of us don't covet headphones with bass that sound like a yack is farting in our ears therefore you have little or nothing to complain about considering the review clearly leads anyone with a grade 9 education to deduce that a HD25 with it's U shape signature and mid bass hump isn't a bass cannon. Joker does this thread on his own time and contributes to head-fi for the sake of community and the love of the hobby. We regs on here respect his opinion and the time he takes to try and get impressions up so that we all have a benchmark on future purchases. His contribution far surpasses you and your 9 posts and as such I suggest you clam up and stop acting like a 14 year old spoiled brat. Welcome to Head-Fi I hope you enjoy your time here. Try not to step on anyone elses toes in the near future. We don't take kindly to immature behavior and trolls have a very short life span in these forums.

 

@joker

I subscribed to this thread as well as your IEM's thread some time ago and visit them both on a regular basis, Keep up the great work Mike. The amount of time you put into this thread and the community helps make Head-Fi a wonderful place. I think I speak for the vast majority of members here when I say THANK YOU VERY MUCH


Edited by DigitalFreak - 2/3/12 at 7:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)