or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 192

post #2866 of 4545

Great thread and great reviews!

 

A random request if you don't mind smile.gif:

 

under the Beats Studios (A12) can you bold:

 

Sound (6.75/10)

 

 

 

 

post #2867 of 4545
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaFi View Post

Great thread and great reviews!

 

Thanks!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaFi View Post

Great thread and great reviews!

 

A random request if you don't mind smile.gif:

 

under the Beats Studios (A12) can you bold:

 

Sound (6.75/10)

 



I could, but then I won't know who here on Head-Fi has OCD tongue.gif.

 

 

Done..

post #2868 of 4545

Hi Joker. Let me start by saying great job on the thread. Can only imagine how long it must have taken. Reading through the reviews you've given each headphone is very enjoyable. It feels like I'm window shopping beyersmile.png

 

I had a question about the Denon D1100. How did you get the bass to sound powerful and deep? I tested them out in a shop that had them plugged into an amp and they sounded terrible. I was playing bassy music from my sansa clip and the bass sizzled a lot. It didn't have much impact didn't really get that deep. There was also a lot of sibilance. I also tried the Sennheiser HD25. They had much more impact and the bass was controlled.


Edited by RayleighSilvers - 2/1/12 at 4:02pm
post #2869 of 4545

Thanks for the review of the SHO9560's. I use them as my back-up portables or when I don't feel like using an on-ear. Plus I got mine for 35$ shipped.

 

Again, thanks for that review and this thread.

post #2870 of 4545

Ok, I'll give a try and if I feel that it's lacking I'll look at getting an E11 or something. Thanks.

post #2871 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayleighSilvers View Post

Hi Joker. Let me start by saying great job on the thread. Can only imagine how long it must have taken. Reading through the reviews you've given each headphone is very enjoyable. It feels like I'm window shopping beyersmile.png

 

I had a question about the Denon D1100. How did you get the bass to sound powerful and deep? I tested them out in a shop that had them plugged into an amp and they sounded terrible. I was playing bassy music from my sansa clip and the bass sizzled a lot. It didn't have much impact didn't really get that deep. There was also a lot of sibilance. I also tried the Sennheiser HD25. They had much more impact and the bass was controlled.



I didn't do anything special with the D1100 - the bass is deep and powerful both with my J3/Cube C30 and with my DAC/amp combos. Perhaps it was the amp at the store? The HD25 has plenty of impact as well but not the rumble and fleshiness of the D1100's bass.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra View Post

Thanks for the review of the SHO9560's. I use them as my back-up portables or when I don't feel like using an on-ear. Plus I got mine for 35$ shipped.

 

Again, thanks for that review and this thread.


Sounds like a good deal. They make me curious about the 2012 releases from Philips.

 

post #2872 of 4545

Many thanks to joker, this is the thread staying in my bookmark and have to read once in a few weeks. 

post #2873 of 4545

this thread proved to be a total waste of my time. i ended up buying the sennheiser HD25s and hated them so much i returned them even with a $94 deal. they had absolutely NO BASS! i burned them in for about 20 hours too playing dubstep at earsplitting volume levels when i slept, but even then, they had less bass than a pair of 4 1/2" bookshelf speakers. there wasn't just a lack of bass either, they were EXTREMELY bright & forward to the point they were extremely fatiguing to listen to. yes, they were very detailed, but i ended up buying a $50 pair of AKG K44s locally and like the sound better all around. the bass is fuller, though still not as loud as it is on a pair of reference speakers, but at least you can hear it on tracks with really deep bass. the treble on the AKGs is much smoother & flatter and has about as much detail without a direct side by side comparison.

 

i also hated that the sennheisers weren't over the ear cans either like i thought they were. they might be durable, but they felt lightweight & cheap for the price and i got sick & tired of getting poked in the ear every time i put them on because of the swivel cups and the fact that i only have 1 arm.

 

i REALLY miss the days where you could go into a shop and actually LISTEN to a pair of cans. i almost bought a really awesome pair of beyers for about $150 back in the 80s because they had an effortless sound from top to bottom with full bass and had extremely comfortable velour pads.

 

i just didn't like ANYTHING about the HD25s. don't believe everything you read. they would work great for DJing maybe because you can play them at extreme volumes without them distorting or for mixing because of the detail, but for pleasure listening, they sucked rotten eggs. i liked the cheap $25 sennheiser 202s i bought that eventually broke when a heavy duffle bag's strap ruined a wire better. those had really nice bass and even covered more of the ear. i also didn't like using cans with not only extremely long cords, but thick ones at that too. i wish more makers would start offering their better over the ear phones with short cords for portable use as a lot of people don't like in ear phones.

 

i think i'll upgrade the K44s to something with more bass and really liked the look of sony's top of the line megabass phones (700 series i think), but it seems EVERY phone that has a decent price and bass extension gets frowned on. i'm not a fan of excessive bass at all as it gives me a headache, but when you KNOW it's there but can't hear it even with bass boost sapping your battery life, it's annoying.

 

as an amateur DJ, i listen to a lot of dance tracks on the bus and NEED phones i can hear the beat with. the K44s are really detailed and even FUN to listen to with a relaxed sound, but they don't have enough bass to "feel it" without some boost on an mp3 player, particularly the cube C30 which is bass limited, but they walk all over those $200 HD25s at just 1/4 the price in the bass department. they sound less closed in too though not as open as a good pair of open air phones. the HD25s are HIDEOUS sounding on the binaural recordings i've made and totally destroy the image. even my old $30 JVC semi-open cans sound more natural.

 

i wanted to get back here to comment on just how much i disagree with this shootout's premise that the HD25s are "top of the line". they're pure crap as far as i'm concerned and wouldn't pay more than $30 for them. the AKG clone sampsons i bought for $50 with a large diaphragm mic included were more pleasurable to listen to as well though not exactly bass champs either, but were extremely detailed & natural otherwise. the 25s sound like someone put about 5dB boost in the 5-10kHz range.


Edited by zeroemission - 2/2/12 at 7:03am
post #2874 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroemission View Post

this thread proved to be a total waste of my time. i ended up buying the sennheiser HD25s and hated them so much i returned them even with a $94 deal. they had absolutely NO BASS! i burned them in for about 20 hours too playing dubstep at earsplitting volume levels when i slept, but even then, they had less bass than a pair of 4 1/2" bookshelf speakers. there wasn't just a lack of bass either, they were EXTREMELY bright & forward to the point they were extremely fatiguing to listen to. yes, they were very detailed, but i ended up buying a $50 pair of AKG K44s locally and like the sound better all around. the bass is fuller, though still not as loud as it is on a pair of reference speakers, but at least you can hear it on tracks with really deep bass. the treble on the AKGs is much smoother & flatter and has about as much detail without a direct side by side comparison.

 

i also hated that the sennheisers weren't over the ear cans either like i thought they were. they might be durable, but they felt lightweight & cheap for the price and i got sick & tired of getting poked in the ear every time i put them on because of the swivel cups and the fact that i only have 1 arm. i REALLY miss the days where you could go into a shop and actually LISTEN to a pair of cans. i almost bought a really awesome pair of beyers for about $150 back in the 80s because they had an effortless sound from top to bottom with full bass and had extremely comfortable velour pads. i just didn't like ANYTHING about the HD25s. don't believe everything you read. they would work great for DJing maybe because you can play them at extreme volumes without them distorting or for mixing because of the detail, but for pleasure listening, they sucked rotten eggs. i liked the cheap $25 sennheiser 202s i bought that eventually broke when a heavy duffle bag's strap ruined a wire. those had really nice bass and even covered more of the ear.

 

i think i'll upgrade the K44s to something with more bass and really liked the look of sony's top of the line megabass phones, but it seems EVERY phone that has a decent price and bass extension gets frowned on. i'm not a fan o excessive bass at all as it gives me a headache, but when you KNOW it's there but can't hear it, it's annoying. as an amateur DJ, i listen to a lot of dance tracks on the bus and NEED phones i can hear the beat with. the K44s are really detailed and even FUN to listen to, but they don't have enough bass to "feel it" without some boost on an mp3 player, particularly the cube C30 which is bass limited, but they walk all over those $200 HD25s at just 1/4 the price in the bass department. they sound less closed in too though not as open as a good pair of open air phones. the HD25s are HIDEOUS on the binaural recordings i've made.

 

i wanted to get back here to comment on just how much i disagree with this shootout's premise that the HD25s are "top of the line". they're pure crap as far as i'm concerned and wouldn't pay more than $30 for them. the AKG clone sampsons i bought for $50 with a large diaphragm mic included were more pleasurable to listen to as well though not exactly bass champs either, but were extremely detailed & natural otherwise. the 25s sound like someone put about 5dB boost in the 5-10kHz range.


You mad bro?

 

post #2875 of 4545

 

Quote:
as an amateur DJ, i listen to a lot of dance tracks on the bus

 

 Good to hear your in the hobby! and me as an amateur soprano i listen to a lot of pavarotti in my bedroom and i like the detailed sound of my monster pro..deadhorse.gif

post #2876 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroemission View Post

this thread proved to be a total waste of my time. i ended up buying the sennheiser HD25s and hated them so much i returned them even with a $94 deal. they had absolutely NO BASS! i burned them in for about 20 hours too playing dubstep at earsplitting volume levels when i slept, but even then, they had less bass than a pair of 4 1/2" bookshelf speakers. there wasn't just a lack of bass either, they were EXTREMELY bright & forward to the point they were extremely fatiguing to listen to. yes, they were very detailed, but i ended up buying a $50 pair of AKG K44s locally and like the sound better all around. the bass is fuller, though still not as loud as it is on a pair of reference speakers, but at least you can hear it on tracks with really deep bass. the treble on the AKGs is much smoother & flatter and has about as much detail without a direct side by side comparison.

 

i also hated that the sennheisers weren't over the ear cans either like i thought they were. they might be durable, but they felt lightweight & cheap for the price and i got sick & tired of getting poked in the ear every time i put them on because of the swivel cups and the fact that i only have 1 arm.

 

i REALLY miss the days where you could go into a shop and actually LISTEN to a pair of cans. i almost bought a really awesome pair of beyers for about $150 back in the 80s because they had an effortless sound from top to bottom with full bass and had extremely comfortable velour pads.

 

i just didn't like ANYTHING about the HD25s. don't believe everything you read. they would work great for DJing maybe because you can play them at extreme volumes without them distorting or for mixing because of the detail, but for pleasure listening, they sucked rotten eggs. i liked the cheap $25 sennheiser 202s i bought that eventually broke when a heavy duffle bag's strap ruined a wire better. those had really nice bass and even covered more of the ear. i also didn't like using cans with not only extremely long cords, but thick ones at that too. i wish more makers would start offering their better over the ear phones with short cords for portable use as a lot of people don't like in ear phones.

 

i think i'll upgrade the K44s to something with more bass and really liked the look of sony's top of the line megabass phones (700 series i think), but it seems EVERY phone that has a decent price and bass extension gets frowned on. i'm not a fan of excessive bass at all as it gives me a headache, but when you KNOW it's there but can't hear it even with bass boost sapping your battery life, it's annoying.

 

as an amateur DJ, i listen to a lot of dance tracks on the bus and NEED phones i can hear the beat with. the K44s are really detailed and even FUN to listen to with a relaxed sound, but they don't have enough bass to "feel it" without some boost on an mp3 player, particularly the cube C30 which is bass limited, but they walk all over those $200 HD25s at just 1/4 the price in the bass department. they sound less closed in too though not as open as a good pair of open air phones. the HD25s are HIDEOUS sounding on the binaural recordings i've made and totally destroy the image. even my old $30 JVC semi-open cans sound more natural.

 

i wanted to get back here to comment on just how much i disagree with this shootout's premise that the HD25s are "top of the line". they're pure crap as far as i'm concerned and wouldn't pay more than $30 for them. the AKG clone sampsons i bought for $50 with a large diaphragm mic included were more pleasurable to listen to as well though not exactly bass champs either, but were extremely detailed & natural otherwise. the 25s sound like someone put about 5dB boost in the 5-10kHz range.



I found the HD25-1 ii to be too bright and fatiguing for me, as well. That doesn't mean that |joker| is wrong or that this thread is a waste of time.rolleyes.gif

 

Sound signature preference is very subjective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that he's wrong.

 

Maybe he should make the disclaimer bigger for people who have problems reading:

 

Disclaimer: All of these tests are subjective. I am basing the outcomes of these tests purely on what I hear, using my ears and my setups. Also, I am trying to scale all of the scores to the best of the bunch as much as possible – that is, the 10/10 rating in each category goes to the headphone that performs best in that particular category out of all the ones I’ve tested.

post #2877 of 4545

oh lol. the rants Joker have to put out with...

and I thought the HD25 had just what I consider the to be my limit between enough and too much bass. guess I'm wrong too! oh geez. someone redirects him to the the "bass head" thread

 

Joker you're doing awesome man, thank you again for all this. and nice to see some action here after the M80 break!

post #2878 of 4545

Maybe he can try the new Amperior version.  More bass than the original...

post #2879 of 4545

After getting my K518LE the one difference I can see between it and the K81 is that the K81 appears to have a much beefier straight plug compared to the wimpy one of the K518, and the K518 has a 3 ft cable as opposed to the 8.2 ft cable.

 

I really do like these headphones though. The 3d-axis makes it very convenient and unobtrusive to hang around the neck.

post #2880 of 4545

HD25s are supposed to be professional broadcasting phones, however accepted by many headfiers for their high fidelity as a portable. These phones have a 70 ohm impedience and really need an amp or 601, 801 to shine. There are plenty of DJ purposed phones out on the list, why not pick those. A denon D700 or AT-M50 might fit your needs very well. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroemission View Post

this thread proved to be a total waste of my time. i ended up buying the sennheiser HD25s and hated them so much i returned them even with a $94 deal. they had absolutely NO BASS! i burned them in for about 20 hours too playing dubstep at earsplitting volume levels when i slept, but even then, they had less bass than a pair of 4 1/2" bookshelf speakers. there wasn't just a lack of bass either, they were EXTREMELY bright & forward to the point they were extremely fatiguing to listen to. yes, they were very detailed, but i ended up buying a $50 pair of AKG K44s locally and like the sound better all around. the bass is fuller, though still not as loud as it is on a pair of reference speakers, but at least you can hear it on tracks with really deep bass. the treble on the AKGs is much smoother & flatter and has about as much detail without a direct side by side comparison.

 

i also hated that the sennheisers weren't over the ear cans either like i thought they were. they might be durable, but they felt lightweight & cheap for the price and i got sick & tired of getting poked in the ear every time i put them on because of the swivel cups and the fact that i only have 1 arm.

 

i REALLY miss the days where you could go into a shop and actually LISTEN to a pair of cans. i almost bought a really awesome pair of beyers for about $150 back in the 80s because they had an effortless sound from top to bottom with full bass and had extremely comfortable velour pads.

 

i just didn't like ANYTHING about the HD25s. don't believe everything you read. they would work great for DJing maybe because you can play them at extreme volumes without them distorting or for mixing because of the detail, but for pleasure listening, they sucked rotten eggs. i liked the cheap $25 sennheiser 202s i bought that eventually broke when a heavy duffle bag's strap ruined a wire better. those had really nice bass and even covered more of the ear. i also didn't like using cans with not only extremely long cords, but thick ones at that too. i wish more makers would start offering their better over the ear phones with short cords for portable use as a lot of people don't like in ear phones.

 

i think i'll upgrade the K44s to something with more bass and really liked the look of sony's top of the line megabass phones (700 series i think), but it seems EVERY phone that has a decent price and bass extension gets frowned on. i'm not a fan of excessive bass at all as it gives me a headache, but when you KNOW it's there but can't hear it even with bass boost sapping your battery life, it's annoying.

 

as an amateur DJ, i listen to a lot of dance tracks on the bus and NEED phones i can hear the beat with. the K44s are really detailed and even FUN to listen to with a relaxed sound, but they don't have enough bass to "feel it" without some boost on an mp3 player, particularly the cube C30 which is bass limited, but they walk all over those $200 HD25s at just 1/4 the price in the bass department. they sound less closed in too though not as open as a good pair of open air phones. the HD25s are HIDEOUS sounding on the binaural recordings i've made and totally destroy the image. even my old $30 JVC semi-open cans sound more natural.

 

i wanted to get back here to comment on just how much i disagree with this shootout's premise that the HD25s are "top of the line". they're pure crap as far as i'm concerned and wouldn't pay more than $30 for them. the AKG clone sampsons i bought for $50 with a large diaphragm mic included were more pleasurable to listen to as well though not exactly bass champs either, but were extremely detailed & natural otherwise. the 25s sound like someone put about 5dB boost in the 5-10kHz range.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)