have you heard the D1100? does it have thumping bass that you feel? Oh and I don't want it do sound too dark, like the warmth of the MS400 was perfect for me. Really relaxing, just the bass was really relaxed too. I've been considering the D1100, along with the HDj2000 and lp2, but I don't think the lp2 will suffice in terms of sound quality. Oh and maybe the pro700, but I don't think I want THAT much bass
Yes I have it.
Couldn't be happier.
It's not as sparkly bright as the D2000s but dark is not an adjective I'd use to describe it, some things to consider:
1) it's comfortable. It takes a good 2 hours or so for me to get bothered from them. That's really good for a portable.
2) It actually has more impact that the D2000s. The kind that rattles your head. The sound is best described as bass with very few compromises. BUT make no mistake about it, this is made for bass lovers. Dance/Rap/Trance/etc. all have that deep punchy bass we look for in these types of headphones. What surprises me is that it handles other non-bass friendly genres quite well. Pink Floyd, Green Day, the Clash, etc. all sound good. I don't ever find myself skipping to the next song because it sounds dull. (I can't elaborate more on the sound unfortunately as I'd like to spend more time with them first.)
3) It's really efficient and very easy to power. I can use it out of my iPod and I've found myself turning the volume down a few ticks under compared to my other headphones.
4) Build Quality. Now I'm not saying you should drop it off a 10 story building and see if holds up, but this is a pretty solid headphone.
Things that are bad:
1) The included extension cable is incredibly long. I think this is for people that sit 30 feet away from their TV. It's too bad, I like the quality plugs it's terminated with.
2) I would've preferred a low profile fit, the band has this weird way of curving out that makes it look kind of big on your head. While it is pretty comfortable, the top of the band does kind of sit on your head pretty tight. Not good for people that want neat hair after a long listening session, but this isn't a deal breaker, like I said, it's really comfortable for a portable, just don't expect full size comfort from it.
3) pleather ... but yeah, that's what you're going to get for most all of these portables. I'd like to upgrade to leather one day (if there's one that fits, let me know)
Small drawbacks, but overall a fantastic little headphone. I don't usually like to give impressions so early, but I'm really enjoying these cans. I also like to blast my XB500s when no one is in the office. But only for certain songs. Unlike the D1100s, the XB500s only sound good with bassy music.
Edited by roker - 12/21/11 at 6:41pm