or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 143

post #2131 of 4545

Hi Joker, I was wondering if you could answer this for me -

 

Basically,

 

Im thinking of buying some ESW9's

 

I'll be using them around and about the house, taking them with me on journeys and wearing them out and about town.

I listen to alternative music, mainly - massive attack, radiohead, grizzly bear, the cranberries, and some random jazz compilations and such.

I dont own an amp at this current moment in space and time but I may purchase an E7 or something in the future if necessary.

So basically, do they suit my requirements and/or are there better alternatives out there for around the same (or cheaper!) price?

Many Thanks

post #2132 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexeiom View Post

Regarding iems not sure I want to give another shot but you might be right with Meelec a151. I think I could give them a try for 50 euros on Amazon. I would definitely not recommend the hf3 to a first timer.

 

Last question: you gave a 8.5 for isolation to the MDR z700. How would this compare to the Meelec for metro/plane?


A151 should isolate about as much as the HD25-1, even with single-flange tips.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jums View Post

Im thinking of buying some ESW9's

 

I'll be using them around and about the house, taking them with me on journeys and wearing them out and about town.

I listen to alternative music, mainly - massive attack, radiohead, grizzly bear, the cranberries, and some random jazz compilations and such.

I dont own an amp at this current moment in space and time but I may purchase an E7 or something in the future if necessary.

So basically, do they suit my requirements and/or are there better alternatives out there for around the same (or cheaper!) price?


The ESW9A performs fine without an amp. If you don't expect massive bass it's a pretty good all-rounder. Certainly one of the better ones as far as highly portable phones go.

 

post #2133 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


The ESW9A performs fine without an amp. If you don't expect massive bass it's a pretty good all-rounder. Certainly one of the better ones as far as highly portable phones go.

 



Would the sound sig of these be more suited to my tastes than say the HD25?

Also I've heard the isolation of the audio technicas isn't as decent as other supra-aurals and may not have adequate or sufficient isolation for use about town or on a bus.

 

 

post #2134 of 4545

Hey guys i am starting to feel very comfortable with clip ons so for the moment i leave the iems aside.

Anyone has anything to comment on the Sony MDR-Q68LW.

These are more airy and transparent than the ksc 75 i already have? With proper eq can they have koss ksc75's bass?

 

If i pump up the bass with eq  on the ksc75 or other iems and headphones the bass became distorted. Wouldn't be the same case with Sony MDR-Q68LW?

post #2135 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jums View Post

Would the sound sig of these be more suited to my tastes than say the HD25?

Also I've heard the isolation of the audio technicas isn't as decent as other supra-aurals and may not have adequate or sufficient isolation for use about town or on a bus.

 


Very few headphones will have isolation sufficient to drown out bus noise, and the ESW9a is defnitely not one of them. You're going to be looking at something along the lines of a Senn HD280 or HD25-1-ii or B&W P5

 

post #2136 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post




Very few headphones will have isolation sufficient to drown out bus noise, and the ESW9a is defnitely not one of them. You're going to be looking at something along the lines of a Senn HD280 or HD25-1-ii or B&W P5

 


also i think the ms 400 has a lot better isolation when you put foam in the pads so that it shapes out to your ear, like i put more foam in the back side and lower side and i get amazing isolation 

 

post #2137 of 4545

I read through all the headphones in the thread, and am having a hard time deciding on a pair. I'm looking the best sound quality I can get for less than $60, with good isolation (I have roommates). Being comfortable is fairly important too. Which pairs might be best?

post #2138 of 4545
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jums View Post

Would the sound sig of these be more suited to my tastes than say the HD25?


They're your tastes rolleyes.gif

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelopsaro View Post

Hey guys i am starting to feel very comfortable with clip ons so for the moment i leave the iems aside.

Anyone has anything to comment on the Sony MDR-Q68LW.

These are more airy and transparent than the ksc 75 i already have? With proper eq can they have koss ksc75's bass?

 

If i pump up the bass with eq  on the ksc75 or other iems and headphones the bass became distorted. Wouldn't be the same case with Sony MDR-Q68LW?


You won't get KSC75 bass out of the Q68 no matter what you do but you will be able to balance them out pretty well. Obviously if you push the low end up too much they will start to distort.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubb213 View Post

I read through all the headphones in the thread, and am having a hard time deciding on a pair. I'm looking the best sound quality I can get for less than $60, with good isolation (I have roommates). Being comfortable is fairly important too. Which pairs might be best?

 

If they'll be used mostly at home, Prodipe PRO800 or Numark PHX. If isolation is more important than sound quality, JVC HA-S700 or Panasonics HTX7. If you want a good compromise of combination, SQ, and portability, JVC HA-M750. If portability is very important and you don't mind supraaurals, the dB Logic HP-100 might be worth a look.

post #2139 of 4545

 

Thanks, I took a look at the headphones you recommended, and thought the jvc-750's and prodipe pro800's might be good for my music types (rock and alternative mainly). The logic hp-100 seemed nice too but sounded a bit bassy from reviews I read. Neither of those three really jump out at me though. I also came across the dn-hp500's and the superlux hd668b's, which looked both looked good and seem to have positive reviews. Would either of those fit my needs?


Edited by rdubb213 - 6/19/11 at 2:12pm
post #2140 of 4545

Joker, did you consider testing Yuin G1? Did you decided not to because it needs an amp?

post #2141 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Very few headphones will have isolation sufficient to drown out bus noise, and the ESW9a is defnitely not one of them. You're going to be looking at something along the lines of a Senn HD280 or HD25-1-ii or B&W P5

 



I guess I could just use my IEMs for that then. I suppose most portable headphones sacrifice comfort for isolation or vice versa.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

They're your tastes rolleyes.gif

 

 

How do you mean?

Would the ESW9's be suitable for my alternative genres or would other options be more suited?

post #2142 of 4545
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubb213 View Post

 

Thanks, I took a look at the headphones you recommended, and thought the jvc-750's and prodipe pro800's might be good for my music types (rock and alternative mainly). The logic hp-100 seemed nice too but sounded a bit bassy from reviews I read. Neither of those three really jump out at me though. I also came across the dn-hp500's and the superlux hd668b's, which looked both looked good and seem to have positive reviews. Would either of those fit my needs?



The Superlux is big and doesn't isolate as much as the others. HP500 I have no idea.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

Joker, did you consider testing Yuin G1? Did you decided not to because it needs an amp?


Nothing against the G1 specifically.. just can't cover everything. There are other phones here that need an amp, like the Koss DJ100.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jums View Post

How do you mean?

Would the ESW9's be suitable for my alternative genres or would other options be more suited?


I think personal preferences matter much more than your choice of music. Just because I like the ESW9A for rock doesn't mean you will.

 

post #2143 of 4545

Ended up getting the q460 thanks to joker's suggestion.

 

The mic is apparently really good compared to the freebie mic on ear buds that came with my iphone.  My gf said i was clearer than ever.  Thought that was amusing.  Guess the pack in mic is a piece of junk.

 

I like the q460's so far.  The mids seem to be the strongest part.  Bass is present though not extremely strong, I think it gets the job done.  Highs are also a little on the dull side.  It's nice and clear though.  I hear a lot of good details on songs. 

 

All in all the portability and solid sound make it a good companion for my tablet. 


Edited by keroppilee - 6/19/11 at 10:36pm
post #2144 of 4545
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroppilee View Post

The mic is apparently really good compared to the freebie mic on ear buds that came with my iphone.  My gf said i was clearer than ever.  Thought that was amusing.  Guess the pack in mic is a piece of junk.

 

I like the q460's so far.  The mids seem to be the strongest part.  Bass is present though not extremely strong, I think it gets the job done.  Highs are also a little on the dull side.  It's nice and clear though.  I hear a lot of good details on songs. 

 

All in all the portability and solid sound make it a good companion for my tablet. 



It's not just your stock earbuds - the AKG mic really is much better than average. Guessing whoever designed it knew their way around a proper mic.

 

Agree on the AKG being most proficient in the midranage. Glad you like the Q460. I've been extremely disappointed with the similarly-priced Klipsch Image One but the Q460 really isn't bad at all.

post #2145 of 4545

Hey Joker,

 

I would just like to thank you for this incredibly informative and well-ordered thread.

 

I currently have a shortlist for a portable setup of mine:

Sony MDR-ZX700

Sony MDR-V6

Koss Pro DJ 100 + Fiio E11

 

Around here, they all cost round the same price, with the Koss costing slightly more with the amp.

I heard the Koss is pretty power-hungry, but sounds great with vocals. Does it do well enough in other genres to match up to something that is as all-rounded as the MDR-ZX700, which needs no dedicated portable amplifier, and justify the cost of including the amp? Or would you suggest the V6? I also liked the SRH440 stock, and found it fantastic, though just very slightly too dry for music enjoyment. So preferably, I would like a more musical SRH440.

 

I listen to mainly:

Jazz

Alternative (Radiohead etc.)

Soundtracks

J-Pop.

 

I would also prefer a decently large/deep soundstage, and something with articulate bass - not too deep - I found bass on the M50 to be highly excessive, and the treble to be extremely artificial. I would prefer something that is clear, but relatively smooth and non-fatiguing with an emphasis on mids and great genre bandwidth.

 

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated!

 

Thanks in advance!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)