or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 126

post #1876 of 4545
Thread Starter 

Added Pioneer SE-MJ5 & Ultrasone HFI-15G
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartyparty View Post

Well I've finally had my Sony MDR ZX700's for about a week now and as a noob I can definately hear the difference.

 

They have certainly improved after some burning in time as initially they sounded really tigt and harsh with not much bass - however after about 5 hours burning in they have loosened up and opened out to give a really rich warm sound with nice bass and from what I can hear a good deal of separation in the frequencies,

 

I've been more used to IEM's of late but these full size cans just seem to give off a nicer sound altogether - and they're not so big that you can't wear them out and about too.......

 

I also seem to like them unamped better too (I only have a Fiio E7 right enough).

 

Joker - you were right about burning them in and noticing a difference from the portapros too....

 

My ears like them muchly!

 

I recommend them to anyone - but still not many reviews of them out there.


Thanks for the update! Glad you like them. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

I find myself in the category of the "unimpressed". The mids and highs were alright, but I found myself pushing them beyond their intended design in the bass area. Really nice for Electronic / DJ barring the lacking bass. They made the intro of Red Heat by Tosca sound pretty seizure inducing. I fear I will have to give up and go with some m50's or K181's. I didn't quite want to go that large, but I'm tired of searching.

 

My last hope was the RocNation Aviator or Klipsch Image One. I tried them both at BB today and found the Aviator to be pretty bass light. I had to pump up the bass far too much on my EQ to get anything out of them. The Klipsch wasn't a bad setup, but the mid's sounded really tinny. Very uninspiring. I'm back to my PortaPro's for rock and Turbines for most everything else...until I can snag the m50 or K181. (haven't decided on which)


I have the Image One here and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. For a bass-heavy consumer can it has nothing on the MS400. It's only got around 40 hours on it but unless it tightens up and clears up significantly, I'd say paying over $100 for it is a mistake. Oh and K181 blows the M50 away if bass impact is what you're after.

 

post #1877 of 4545

That is interesting to hear. I was also considering the Image Ones at one point. At this point I still feel a bit lost and frustrated trying to find the right set of headphones. I think I will end up going with the Phiaton MS 300. They seem to fit all my requirements and got good reviews. I just really hope I do not break that cord! wish it were detachable...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

I find myself in the category of the "unimpressed". The mids and highs were alright, but I found myself pushing them beyond their intended design in the bass area. Really nice for Electronic / DJ barring the lacking bass. They made the intro of Red Heat by Tosca sound pretty seizure inducing. I fear I will have to give up and go with some m50's or K181's. I didn't quite want to go that large, but I'm tired of searching.

 

My last hope was the RocNation Aviator or Klipsch Image One. I tried them both at BB today and found the Aviator to be pretty bass light. I had to pump up the bass far too much on my EQ to get anything out of them. The Klipsch wasn't a bad setup, but the mid's sounded really tinny. Very uninspiring. I'm back to my PortaPro's for rock and Turbines for most everything else...until I can snag the m50 or K181. (haven't decided on which)
 



 



 

post #1878 of 4545

Are the denon DN-HP500 good headphones?

post #1879 of 4545

I'm thinking of buying the Sony MDR ZX700 headphones.

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B004P150LY

 

Problem is they don't seem to be on sale anywhere else in the UK (Sony still have them on pre order and have them for about £110).

 

Do you think I should just go for them from the above link, or do they risk being fakes? Another thing, I've never heard of 'British Bargains', has anyone on here?

 

Finally, the ZX500s are £38 on Amazon from the same seller; are the 700s worth the extra money, as well as the same questions above?

 

 

Thanks in advance...

post #1880 of 4545

They probably are not fakes.  Fake headphones tend to be popular headphones like the lower priced Sennheisers.

 

There is the Shure 750 DJs that is been on sale at HMV Online for £60.  They usually go for £90+ and prices seem to have come down recently.

post #1881 of 4545

Oh for bargain headphone, there is no better than the Superlux headphones:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/546556/superlux-express-train-voted-best-budget-headphone-2011

post #1882 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoung8 View Post

They probably are not fakes.  Fake headphones tend to be popular headphones like the lower priced Sennheisers.

 

There is the Shure 750 DJs that is been on sale at HMV Online for £60.  They usually go for £90+ and prices seem to have come down recently.


Cheers, could they be US/Asian imports? Just hesitating what with them being new and a seller I haven't heard of.

I don't want to get them and find a warrant is out for them. biggrin.gif
post #1883 of 4545
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-800 View Post

Are the denon DN-HP500 good headphones?


Search for Seidhepriest's HP500 review out in the forum.



Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB123 View Post

I'm thinking of buying the Sony MDR ZX700 headphones.

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B004P150LY

 

Problem is they don't seem to be on sale anywhere else in the UK (Sony still have them on pre order and have them for about £110).

 

Do you think I should just go for them from the above link, or do they risk being fakes? Another thing, I've never heard of 'British Bargains', has anyone on here?

 

Finally, the ZX500s are £38 on Amazon from the same seller; are the 700s worth the extra money, as well as the same questions above?


I don't think you'll find fake ZX700 at this point. No idea what the 500s sound like.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB123 View Post

Cheers, could they be US/Asian imports? Just hesitating what with them being new and a seller I haven't heard of.

I don't want to get them and find a warrant is out for them. biggrin.gif


Superlux is a very well-known brand in Asia. The 668B is one impressive piece of equipment, though not exactly portable.

post #1884 of 4545
Cheers, joker.

I'm edging toward getting the Zx700.

I assume that final quote wasn't for me, as I was talking about the Sonys. tongue.gif
post #1885 of 4545

Nice to see the SQ5s gettin's some love. They've been pretty much completely disregarded around here in favor of the ES7.

post #1886 of 4545

My favourite is hd25 1-IIL3000.gif

post #1887 of 4545


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Superlux is a very well-known brand in Asia. The 668B is one impressive piece of equipment, though not exactly portable.


 

so you already tried them. but by this comment i asume they dont qualify for this shotout?

 

I like mine better than my AKG K240 for sure.

post #1888 of 4545

If just judging on weight and comfort, the Superlux is portable.  It is extremely light and really comfortable.  But in terms of looks, it is massive and makes you look are a tank commander.  I prefer to wear my Ultrasone out which is heavier but don't look as big.

post #1889 of 4545
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

so you already tried them. but by this comment i asume they dont qualify for this shotout?

 

I like mine better than my AKG K240 for sure.


Well they do fit the detachable cable criteria so I really don't have a choice in the matter :p. I only got them last week and am liking them lots so far.

post #1890 of 4545

Hi Joker;

 

Did you try any Superlux? 662, 662B, 662F, 668 or any?

Some bros here compare this USD50 can to Denon D1100 and superlux win in many areas.

 

I am moving up from AKG518, before thinking about M750, d510, d1100 and now Superlux.

 

I bought eterna (2 nos, 1 as gift to other) by your advice. 1st time buying gear without listening, but super happy about that.

So i really want to hear your comment about the Superlux.

 

Thanks

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)