or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015) - Page 107

post #1591 of 4545

Ugh... "active noise canceling" Bleh

post #1592 of 4545

 Joker - or anyone else ever used the bluetooth headphones jabra halo?
They can be found for 40$ on ebay in OEM package. Although i read that are ultra comfortable and decent SQ, many buyers stated that is cheap in quality, bothersome controls and low reception. Thats why i didnt pull the trigger.

Reception is very important because back when i bought motorola S9, i throw them in my closet because whenever i tried to put them in my pocket, music was cutting off. That is a huge deal breaker.

post #1593 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelopsaro View Post

 Joker - or anyone else ever used the bluetooth headphones jabra halo?
They can be found for 40$ on ebay in OEM package. Although i read that are ultra comfortable and decent SQ, many buyers stated that is cheap in quality, bothersome controls and low reception. Thats why i didnt pull the trigger.

Reception is very important because back when i bought motorola S9, i throw them in my closet because whenever i tried to put them in my pocket, music was cutting off. That is a huge deal breaker.


No but I do question the compatibility of the bluetooth protocol with audio fidelity in general. There's definitely a limitation there stemming from the limited bandwidth and built-in compression algorithm of bluetooth. 

post #1594 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


No but I do question the compatibility of the bluetooth protocol with audio fidelity in general. There's definitely a limitation there stemming from the limited bandwidth and built-in compression algorithm of bluetooth. 


Well, just asking in case it passes the above average scale.

post #1595 of 4545

Joker, can't wait to hear your review on the HD 428's! I've heard that they're very similar to their older sibling, the HD 448's, which I'm very interested in right now. I think my search for a portable, affordable, circumaural is finally over. Looking forward to your impressions. beyersmile.png

 

I've also heard that (at least with the 448's) they need to be amped. Do you know which amp might pair well with them? I was debating whether to get a Total Bithead or just save up for a RSA Mustang (or maybe a Predator since it also had a DAC) instead. 

post #1596 of 4545

ljokerl, you want me to send these Ultrasone Zino's for review as well? I like them but can live without them for a while if you want to review them.

 

 

I'm sending you a pair of Maxell Juicy Tunes to keep as well. I know you'll want to review them eventually.

post #1597 of 4545
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Joker, can't wait to hear your review on the HD 428's! I've heard that they're very similar to their older sibling, the HD 448's, which I'm very interested in right now. I think my search for a portable, affordable, circumaural is finally over. Looking forward to your impressions. beyersmile.png

 

I've also heard that (at least with the 448's) they need to be amped. Do you know which amp might pair well with them? I was debating whether to get a Total Bithead or just save up for a RSA Mustang (or maybe a Predator since it also had a DAC) instead. 


Hmm I was actually surprised to learn that the HD428/448 have any following at all here at head-fi (same as with the HD2x8 series). To my ears they don't really do anything particularly well - sub-bass is almost nonexistent and the soundstage is a little flat. I were looking for a headphone that does nothing particularly well I'd definitely pick the DT235 over these. Buying an amp for these ($50) headphones is absolutely preposterous in my opinion - cheap cans are supposed to sound good without one and the extra money could go towards buying better headphones. Sennheiser is very good at pricing things so that they don't compete with their own higher-end models and at ~$50-55 the HD428 is right where it should be to be considered a 'good value'.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

ljokerl, you want me to send these Ultrasone Zino's for review as well? I like them but can live without them for a while if you want to review them.

 

 

I'm sending you a pair of Maxell Juicy Tunes to keep as well. I know you'll want to review them eventually.


I reviewed the Zinos quite a while ago...

post #1598 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Joker, can't wait to hear your review on the HD 428's! I've heard that they're very similar to their older sibling, the HD 448's, which I'm very interested in right now. I think my search for a portable, affordable, circumaural is finally over. Looking forward to your impressions. beyersmile.png

 

I've also heard that (at least with the 448's) they need to be amped. Do you know which amp might pair well with them? I was debating whether to get a Total Bithead or just save up for a RSA Mustang (or maybe a Predator since it also had a DAC) instead. 


Hmm I was actually surprised to learn that the HD428/448 have any following at all here at head-fi (same as with the HD2x8 series). To my ears they don't really do anything particularly well - sub-bass is almost nonexistent and the soundstage is a little flat. I were looking for a headphone that does nothing particularly well I'd definitely pick the DT235 over these. Buying an amp for these ($50) headphones is absolutely preposterous in my opinion - cheap cans are supposed to sound good without one and the extra money could go towards buying better headphones. Sennheiser is very good at pricing things so that they don't compete with their own higher-end models and at ~$50-55 the HD428 is right where it should be to be considered a 'good value'.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

ljokerl, you want me to send these Ultrasone Zino's for review as well? I like them but can live without them for a while if you want to review them.

 

 

I'm sending you a pair of Maxell Juicy Tunes to keep as well. I know you'll want to review them eventually.


I reviewed the Zinos quite a while ago...


Shoot, how'd I miss that. Oh well, I got a couple other phones for you. You can just keep them and review them if you want whenever you get the time.
 

post #1599 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Joker, can't wait to hear your review on the HD 428's! I've heard that they're very similar to their older sibling, the HD 448's, which I'm very interested in right now. I think my search for a portable, affordable, circumaural is finally over. Looking forward to your impressions. beyersmile.png

 

I've also heard that (at least with the 448's) they need to be amped. Do you know which amp might pair well with them? I was debating whether to get a Total Bithead or just save up for a RSA Mustang (or maybe a Predator since it also had a DAC) instead. 


Hmm I was actually surprised to learn that the HD428/448 have any following at all here at head-fi (same as with the HD2x8 series). To my ears they don't really do anything particularly well - sub-bass is almost nonexistent and the soundstage is a little flat. I were looking for a headphone that does nothing particularly well I'd definitely pick the DT235 over these. Buying an amp for these ($50) headphones is absolutely preposterous in my opinion - cheap cans are supposed to sound good without one and the extra money could go towards buying better headphones. Sennheiser is very good at pricing things so that they don't compete with their own higher-end models and at ~$50-55 the HD428 is right where it should be to be considered a 'good value'.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

ljokerl, you want me to send these Ultrasone Zino's for review as well? I like them but can live without them for a while if you want to review them.

 

 

I'm sending you a pair of Maxell Juicy Tunes to keep as well. I know you'll want to review them eventually.


I reviewed the Zinos quite a while ago...

 

Wow, that's a surprise. I've read on here the overall balance is superb for the price and that the 448's were comparable to higher-end senn's such as the 595's. I also auditioned them at J&R the other day and they sounded great, although it had pretty impactful bass, most likely due to the source they were plugged into (I doubt I'll get that much bass out of my ipod nano).

 

As for the amp, I was already looking into getting a high-end one at some point to bring any 'phones I have/will get to their full potential. So would you say the MS400's pretty much wipe the HD 4x8 series out SQ-wise/isolation-wise? Just wondering, considering how drastic the prices are. I also imagine the MS400's have no issue being driven well by any portable dap.

 

Thanks for the response Joker. :)
 

post #1600 of 4545

My Musiland Monitor 02 is pretty much a gutless wonder. It sounds nice but I've had portable amps that had WAY more power. I like the way the Zino's sound but they are a touch bass heavy for me. I'm hoping break-in solves this problem - if it makes them even more bassy then they are definatly not for me.

 

ljokerl you have anything on this? Does burn-in make them more or less bassy? I've had it go both ways.

post #1601 of 4545

roma, I have owned the HD555 and the HD558 and I've heard the HD428 many times because my friend owns it, and I was very disappointed with it... it's really just as joker says - not particularly good at anything, bass is anemic for me, detail is not too special, etc.  The build quality isn't very impressive either, considering the cable is very stringy and my friend's cable broke in 4 months.

post #1602 of 4545
Ouch. Thank you for the input hayang. I will definitely keep what you and joker said in mind.
post #1603 of 4545

I wasn't a fan of the 428 or 448, but the 438 I liked.

post #1604 of 4545
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Wow, that's a surprise. I've read on here the overall balance is superb for the price and that the 448's were comparable to higher-end senn's such as the 595's. I also auditioned them at J&R the other day and they sounded great, although it had pretty impactful bass, most likely due to the source they were plugged into (I doubt I'll get that much bass out of my ipod nano).

 

As for the amp, I was already looking into getting a high-end one at some point to bring any 'phones I have/will get to their full potential. So would you say the MS400's pretty much wipe the HD 4x8 series out SQ-wise/isolation-wise? Just wondering, considering how drastic the prices are. I also imagine the MS400's have no issue being driven well by any portable dap.

 



Oh the balance is very good but good balance doesn't automatically make something hi-fi. The Meelec HT-21 has good balance too but it's no HD25. The HD428s do have enough mid-bass punch but sub-bass rumble is nearly nonexistent next to the Sony V6/ZX700 and Pioneer SE-MJ5 I've been using lately (I plugged them into my Tianyun Zero to make sure it wasn't for lack of power). It might also be that some of the IEMs I'm used to (such as the ATH-CK10), despite being bass-light, have very linear extension. Don't get me wrong, the HD428 sounds fine for $50 - I just thought you were considering buying a $200 amp on the premise that with such an amp the HD428/448 will sound like $200 headphones.

 

And yes, the MS400 is both better-sounding (though it has significant bass emphasis so not really a similar sound signature at all) and better-isolating. The MS400 has never sounded like a $250 headphone either but compared to the HD428 it's also much better-built, more isolating, and more portable. Plus, if you're interested in large circumaural portables that don't fold, there's always the CAL!.

post #1605 of 4545
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Wow, that's a surprise. I've read on here the overall balance is superb for the price and that the 448's were comparable to higher-end senn's such as the 595's. I also auditioned them at J&R the other day and they sounded great, although it had pretty impactful bass, most likely due to the source they were plugged into (I doubt I'll get that much bass out of my ipod nano).

 

As for the amp, I was already looking into getting a high-end one at some point to bring any 'phones I have/will get to their full potential. So would you say the MS400's pretty much wipe the HD 4x8 series out SQ-wise/isolation-wise? Just wondering, considering how drastic the prices are. I also imagine the MS400's have no issue being driven well by any portable dap.

 



Oh the balance is very good but good balance doesn't automatically make something hi-fi. The Meelec HT-21 has good balance too but it's no HD25. The HD428s do have enough mid-bass punch but sub-bass rumble is nearly nonexistent next to the Sony V6/ZX700 and Pioneer SE-MJ5 I've been using lately (I plugged them into my Tianyun Zero to make sure it wasn't for lack of power). It might also be that some of the IEMs I'm used to (such as the ATH-CK10), despite being bass-light, have very linear extension. Don't get me wrong, the HD428 sounds fine for $50 - I just thought you were considering buying a $200 amp on the premise that with such an amp the HD428/448 will sound like $200 headphones.

 

And yes, the MS400 is both better-sounding (though it has significant bass emphasis so not really a similar sound signature at all) and better-isolating. The MS400 has never sounded like a $250 headphone either but compared to the HD428 it's also much better-built, more isolating, and more portable. Plus, if you're interested in large circumaural portables that don't fold, there's always the CAL!.


Thanks again for the input! I'll definitely keep what you've said in mind. I may just end up getting the MS400 at some point, although I will still be looking for a good portable amp to compliment my current and future HP's. Any recommendations on a good amp that would benefit most headphones?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)