Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14) - Page 286

post #4276 of 4417

I was able to drive the Mikros 90 out of my Focusrite 2i2 w/o any problems. They sounded lean in the bass area, odd in the mids, and quite uneven in the treble region. No cable/amping/dac-ing combination I know so far can properly fix the SQ of these phones IMO. They are just too horrible for their MSRP. Even equalization might not completely solve the issues I had w these cans. The fit was less than optimal and quite uncomfortable. Very position sensitive.

 

Maybe these cans can be fixed by taking the driver out and placing it in a completely different enclosure. Maybe they are worth $60 in parts. For $50 something they might be K.

 

BTW. I heard two. The first one had a ~5 dB channel imbalance in the mids. Second one was better in that regard. The OPs recommendation is proly way better.


Edited by ultrabike - 4/1/14 at 12:56pm
post #4277 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Any credible judgment should be suspended until about 200+ hours with the MLs.  That has been reiterated ad nauseum.

Readers here should go to the Mikros 90 thread and read impressions there, rather than subscribe to heresay, thirdhand, from the likes of poopsockky.

If you are forming your personal "judgments" from innuendo, rumor and heresay . . . well, your "judgments" will be invalid.

 

Funny thing: this is what poop posted on the ML thread:

"I haven't burned them in yet, so i won't write anything about the sound... but its not like im really qualified to write about..."

 

So, the poop is not qualified to post his impressions, sans burn-in, on the Mikros 90 thread, but he is somehow qualified to post his "unqualified" and highly generalized impressions on the "shootout" thread.  Hmmmm.  

 

I have mentioned it before and I will repeat it again: this thread should include the Martin Logan Mikros 90 as a valid entrant/contender.

 

IMHO, the Mikros 90 ARE worth their $300 MSRP.

 

Unlike the popular Head-Fi darling KEF M500 which, IMHO, ARE NOT worth their $300 MSRP [nor their current street price].

The Mikros 90, IMHE, are among the best headphones--portable or otherwise--that I have heard/owned to date.

 

See the equipment lists in my community profile and decide for yourselves whether I am "qualified" to assert such claims about the Mikros 90.  Or, better yet, get a pair of the MLs and decide for yourselves.  

 

But please, do not form an erroneous opinion based on a thirdhand account from someone who has not even spent a modicum of hours with the Mikros 90 [and has not identified the gear/sources matched with the MLs.].

 

However, if that is the formative "norm" of opinion on this thread, or others on H-F, then these forums have a lot of "growing up" to do.

I am forming my personal *opinions* from what I have heard on my 25-hour burnt in pair of MartinLogan Mikros 90.

By meaning qualified, I meant I do not have much experience with headphones, and I won't be able to describe what a sharp high is or a boomy low. I do know, however, what a lot of bass is, and what little bass is. From what I have heard on my 25-hour burnt in pair of MartinLogan Mikros 90. I do not hear lots of bass. See the equipment list in my community profile, I have practically nothing compared to you. That's okay. I didn't write a full-on review on the headphone. The two opinions I stated were that the headphones were not bassy headphones, and that they were not worth $300 (which doesn't really matter, because the headphones cost $55...?)

Agreed that it would be worth joker's review on the headphones, they are getting a lot of attention on the thread and I am sure other users would want to know joker's say on them.

And, isn't it my firsthand account because I am hearing the headphone, and me putting it into words making it a secondhand account, and then it would be their thirdhand account on reading my secondhand account? meaning it would be based on a secondhand account from someone who has not even spend a modicum of hours with the Mikros 90 [and has not identified the gear/sources matched with the MLs.].

post #4278 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataburd View Post
 

Any credible judgment should be suspended until about 200+ hours with the MLs.  That has been reiterated ad nauseum.

Readers here should go to the Mikros 90 thread and read impressions there, rather than subscribe to heresay, thirdhand, from the likes of poopsockky.

If you are forming your personal "judgments" from innuendo, rumor and heresay . . . well, your "judgments" will be invalid.

 

Funny thing: this is what poop posted on the ML thread:

"I haven't burned them in yet, so i won't write anything about the sound... but its not like im really qualified to write about..."

 

So, the poop is not qualified to post his impressions, sans burn-in, on the Mikros 90 thread, but he is somehow qualified to post his "unqualified" and highly generalized impressions on the "shootout" thread.  Hmmmm.  

 

I have mentioned it before and I will repeat it again: this thread should include the Martin Logan Mikros 90 as a valid entrant/contender.

 

IMHO, the Mikros 90 ARE worth their $300 MSRP.

 

Unlike the popular Head-Fi darling KEF M500 which, IMHO, ARE NOT worth their $300 MSRP [nor their current street price].

The Mikros 90, IMHE, are among the best headphones--portable or otherwise--that I have heard/owned to date.

 

See the equipment lists in my community profile and decide for yourselves whether I am "qualified" to assert such claims about the Mikros 90.  Or, better yet, get a pair of the MLs and decide for yourselves.  

 

But please, do not form an erroneous opinion based on a thirdhand account from someone who has not even spent a modicum of hours with the Mikros 90 [and has not identified the gear/sources matched with the MLs.].

 

However, if that is the formative "norm" of opinion on this thread, or others on H-F, then these forums have a lot of "growing up" to do.

A headphones SQ is in the "Ear" of the beholder.

 

I have the harman kardon cls on my ears, and I enjoy the heck out of them.

 

Joker did not, and I respectfully would agree that the senheisser HD448 may be better, but I won't agree until I buy that headphone next.

 

I got the harmans because they were at a good time deal, and I can resell them well to buy the HDs next.

 

Despite what Joker said about it being unimpressive to him, it does impress me at least a little bit, since at this price, it is a good alternative to the mikros.

 

If people don't enjoy the mikros, and even if joker doesn't either, what's to stop us from enjoying them, right?

 

How about you posting your opinion about the kef m500 owners? Do they feel happy to hear that the ML is better than the kefs? 

 

I believe they'll be vouching for the kefs and will flame on the MLs without even trying them out. These two have tried the Martins, and if they don't enjoy the martins, tough luck for them. They would be missing out, and there'll be more for us.

 

I admire what you're doing though, not many voice their thoughts about a headphone that deserved attention due to a lack of marketing and proper fit.

 

Also, what you stated about poop's avoidance in commenting about the sound holds a lot of truth there.

 

@Poopsockk


Why did you comment here? You could have done it at the martin logans thread, and you could have said, AT THE MOMENT, the mikros90 aren't worth their MSRP.


Edited by vlenbo - 4/1/14 at 7:35pm
post #4279 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

Disagree. IMO the Mikros 90 are not worth their $300 MSRP. The currently $10 + free shipping KSC-75 sound better IMO.

 

ljokerl's HD448 suggestion sounds much more appealing to me.

 

Disagree right back at you.   If you think the KSC-75 is better then you are either trying to make a point, or you don't really know what you are talking about.

post #4280 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

Disagree right back at you.   If you think the KSC-75 is better then you are either trying to make a point, or you don't really know what you are talking about.

+1

post #4281 of 4417

Not that UB needs it, but I definitely agree with him. In fact, I'd even prefer a non-quartered & kramered KSC-75 to the Mikros 90 that I've listened to. I wonder if there is an easy way to do a driver transplant in the mode of the Stratokosster. That would be one swank piece of kit.

post #4282 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinValentine View Post
 

Not that UB needs it, but I definitely agree with him. In fact, I'd even prefer a non-quartered & kramered KSC-75 to the Mikros 90 that I've listened to. I wonder if there is an easy way to do a driver transplant in the mode of the Stratokosster. That would be one swank piece of kit.

 

 

Where did you listen to the Mikros 90? 

post #4283 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

A headphones SQ is in the "Ear" of the beholder.

 

I have the harman kardon cls on my ears, and I enjoy the heck out of them.

 

Joker did not, and I respectfully would agree that the senheisser HD448 may be better, but I won't agree until I buy that headphone next.

 

I got the harmans because they were at a good time deal, and I can resell them well to buy the HDs next.

 

Despite what Joker said about it being unimpressive to him, it does impress me at least a little bit, since at this price, it is a good alternative to the mikros.

 

If people don't enjoy the mikros, and even if joker doesn't either, what's to stop us from enjoying them, right?

 

How about you posting your opinion about the kef m500 owners? Do they feel happy to hear that the ML is better than the kefs? 

 

I believe they'll be vouching for the kefs and will flame on the MLs without even trying them out. These two have tried the Martins, and if they don't enjoy the martins, tough luck for them. They would be missing out, and there'll be more for us.

 

I admire what you're doing though, not many voice their thoughts about a headphone that deserved attention due to a lack of marketing and proper fit.

 

Also, what you stated about poop's avoidance in commenting about the sound holds a lot of truth there.

 

@Poopsockk


Why did you comment here? You could have done it at the martin logans thread, and you could have said, AT THE MOMENT, the mikros90 aren't worth their MSRP.

Because I was here at the moment. I wasnt aware you guys would take it so seriously, for me i'm basically just using this site as a chatting-conversational whatever...

post #4284 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsockk View Post
 

Because I was here at the moment. I wasnt aware you guys would take it so seriously, for me i'm basically just using this site as a chatting-conversational whatever...

I'm perfectly fine with you commenting about it.

 

It seriously doesn't affect me.

 

But, I am just boggled as to the reasoning behind your decision to respond without giving that thought at the mikros90 thread as well.

 

Now that I know, it's cool.

post #4285 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

 

Where did you listen to the Mikros 90? 

 

The answer you're looking for: I spent 10 minutes with them in an Apple Store where I listened to 128kbs rips of some Dubstep, Billy Ray Cyrus, and a half of a John Denver Christmas. I decided that I didn't like them when Apple staff didn't immediately genuflect when I put them on. Bitter, I came to the Head-Fi forums to enact my revenge against the headphone that failed me and left me so bitterly disappointed.

 

The real answer: at home in my quiet little condo where I do most of my gear auditioning. I picked it up when Amazon had it at $65 a few weeks back. (Component chain: MBP w/ FLAC & ALAC files > JRMC & Audirvana Plus > ODAC > UHA-6S.MKII > Headphone). FWIW, I was looking for a less midbass heavy supraaural to replace my Amperior on the go. From a week and a half of listening, the Mikros 90 was not that headphone. I didn't think that it was good as the DT1350, Amperior, or M-80 - in fact, not even close.

 

Yes, it costs considerably less than those headphones. But, the Amperior and M-80 can be routinely found on sale between $110-125 these days and are IMHO far better. (Re: my headphone hunt, I'll be auditioning the V-Moda XS next. I'm putting in an order later this week.)

post #4286 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinValentine View Post
 

 

The answer you're looking for: I spent 10 minutes with them in an Apple Store where I listened to 128kbs rips of some Dubstep, Billy Ray Cyrus, and a half of a John Denver Christmas. I decided that I didn't like them when Apple staff didn't immediately genuflect when I put them on. Bitter, I came to the Head-Fi forums to enact my revenge against the headphone that failed me and left me so bitterly disappointed.

 

The real answer: at home in my quiet little condo where I do most of my gear auditioning. I picked it up when Amazon had it at $65 a few weeks back. (Component chain: MBP w/ FLAC & ALAC files > JRMC & Audirvana Plus > ODAC > UHA-6S.MKII > Headphone). FWIW, I was looking for a less midbass heavy supraaural to replace my Amperior on the go. From a week and a half of listening, the Mikros 90 was not that headphone. I didn't think that it was good as the DT1350, Amperior, or M-80 - in fact, not even close.

 

Yes, it costs considerably less than those headphones. But, the Amperior and M-80 can be routinely found on sale between $110-125 these days and are IMHO far better. (Re: my headphone hunt, I'll be auditioning the V-Moda XS next. I'm putting in an order later this week.)

 

 

Fair enough...you gave it a shot and you didn't like them. 

 

When you say you think the KSC-75s are better than the Mikros...all I can do is shake my head in disbelief. 

 

When you say you prefer the DT1350, Amperior, and the M-80 I'm not shocked or surprised.  I think the Mikros is much, much better than the M80.   I also think they are better than the Amperior, Momentum and the HD25.  I do prefer the DT1350 (not by much though...but I use the Mikros more often because they are more comfortable.

post #4287 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

Disagree right back at you.   If you think the KSC-75 is better then you are either trying to make a point, or you don't really know what you are talking about.

 

I really don't want this to turn into a Mikros 90 thread, because I really appreciate and highly respect ljokerl's work. But that is fairly provocative statement. My intentions are not to exaggerate. I really feel the KSC-75 does many things better than the Mikros 90, and I did spend quite a bit of time with both of them and compared the side by side (before I measured them). I even got a second opinion from one of the owners of the Mikros 90 (channel imbalance one) and he was dismayed at how much better the KSC-75s sounded. Specially considering how humble the KSC-75s look. The KSC-75 at least had some bass.

 

Here are the frequency responses of the Mikros 90:

 

Channel imbalance Mikros 90

 

 

 

Channel balanced Mikros 90

 

 

 

... and the KSC-75s

 

 

In all cases the y-axis have a 36 dB range (KSC-75s plot is nomalized so that 100 dB corresponds to 0 dB). Sure, the KSC-75 is not perfect. But IMO it owns the Micros 90.


Edited by ultrabike - 4/1/14 at 10:26pm
post #4288 of 4417
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlenbo View Post
 

I'm perfectly fine with you commenting about it.

 

It seriously doesn't affect me.

 

But, I am just boggled as to the reasoning behind your decision to respond without giving that thought at the mikros90 thread as well.

 

Now that I know, it's cool.

Ah, yeah. I don't think I should be commenting on that thread anyway, everyone loves the phones sound but i just use them for their portability... :p I kind of feel like im extra-annoying when commenting on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinValentine View Post
 

 

The answer you're looking for: I spent 10 minutes with them in an Apple Store where I listened to 128kbs rips of some Dubstep, Billy Ray Cyrus, and a half of a John Denver Christmas. I decided that I didn't like them when Apple staff didn't immediately genuflect when I put them on. Bitter, I came to the Head-Fi forums to enact my revenge against the headphone that failed me and left me so bitterly disappointed.

 

The real answer: at home in my quiet little condo where I do most of my gear auditioning. I picked it up when Amazon had it at $65 a few weeks back. (Component chain: MBP w/ FLAC & ALAC files > JRMC & Audirvana Plus > ODAC > UHA-6S.MKII > Headphone). FWIW, I was looking for a less midbass heavy supraaural to replace my Amperior on the go. From a week and a half of listening, the Mikros 90 was not that headphone. I didn't think that it was good as the DT1350, Amperior, or M-80 - in fact, not even close.

 

Yes, it costs considerably less than those headphones. But, the Amperior and M-80 can be routinely found on sale between $110-125 these days and are IMHO far better. (Re: my headphone hunt, I'll be auditioning the V-Moda XS next. I'm putting in an order later this week.)

 

I have the m-80's and i think the sound is much much fuller than my non burnt in mikros, especially playing rap and bass-heavy music.

I look forward to your xs review! I'm looking to get one for myself, I do love the m-80 sound, and a headphone with the same sound but more comfortable and more portable... ohh...

post #4289 of 4417

From memory, I also feel the m-80s had a fuller sound and better bass extension/presence than the Mikros 90. 

 

I feel that if someone digs the Mikros 90, that's great. I just do see how if someone doesn't dig the sound of them, then all of the sudden he/she doesn't know what he/she is talking about, or is somehow "unqualified" to post his/her impressions. That's just BS.

 

For the most part, I agree w poopsockk's and AustinValentine's impressions.


Edited by ultrabike - 4/1/14 at 11:38pm
post #4290 of 4417

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
My intentions are not to exaggerate.

 

 

 

Really?

 

It's hard to take you seriously when you make the claims outlined bellow. 

 

They are worth $60 in parts?   Give me a break.   I still claim that your are either trying to make a point or...

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

I was able to drive the Mikros 90 out of my Focusrite 2i2 w/o any problems. They sounded lean in the bass area, odd in the mids, and quite uneven in the treble region. No cable/amping/dac-ing combination I know so far can properly fix the SQ of these phones IMO. They are just too horrible for their MSRP. Even equalization might not completely solve the issues I had w these cans. The fit was less than optimal and quite uncomfortable. Very position sensitive.

 

Maybe these cans can be fixed by taking the driver out and placing it in a completely different enclosure. Maybe they are worth $60 in parts. For $50 something they might be K.

 

BTW. I heard two. The first one had a ~5 dB channel imbalance in the mids. Second one was better in that regard. The OPs recommendation is proly way better.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
Sure, the KSC-75 is not perfect. But IMO it owns the Micros 90.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)