Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14) - Page 250

post #3736 of 4435

I'm assuming Tiesto is famous because those cans seem pretty overpriced to me...

post #3737 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

I'm assuming Tiesto is famous because those cans seem pretty overpriced to me...

Yeah, he's a famous DJ... As to the price, I think it might be justified if they're a tangible improvement on the K518 / K81 (which now sell for like $50), otherwise they might be overpriced.

Why do you think they're overpriced? (without having heard them, I'm assuming) They seem pretty plastic but that's not unusual for $100, build quality like the M-80's is the exception rather than the norm IMO, even at $150.
post #3738 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

I'm assuming Tiesto is famous because those cans seem pretty overpriced to me...

Yeah, he's a famous DJ... As to the price, I think it might be justified if they're a tangible improvement on the K518 / K81 (which now sell for like $50), otherwise they might be overpriced.

Why do you think they're overpriced? (without having heard them, I'm assuming) They seem pretty plastic but that's not unusual for $100, build quality like the M-80's is the exception rather than the norm IMO, even at $150.


I guess I'm thinking of the AKG line at $100, they have the Q460, K240, K601 (if you look for a bit, you can find them around there), K271. Outside of the AKG line, Grado SR80 (not-so-portable), tons of Sennheisers, the HD25 (if you look hard enough), the M50, and the CAL!

Not to mention Koss.

 

The $100 price point is pretty darn competetive, and  those look more or less like prettier K518s, I could be wrong, but at that price point are some absolutely stellar cans.

post #3739 of 4435
Oh yeah, and there's more competition all the time too (Logi UE 4000, etc.), most of those make other tradeoffs tho... For instance, the M50 are larger, the HD25-1 ii are twice as expensive, and the CAL have some of the worst build quality around.

The Q460 doesn't seem to be as well regarded as the K518, and those two are probably the more portable AKGs... That's why I was just curious how the newest ones stack up against other AKG's typically viewed as a good value.
Edited by Impulse - 12/9/12 at 12:41pm
post #3740 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

Oh yeah, and there's more competition all the time too (Logi UE 4000, etc.), most of those make other tradeoffs tho... For instance, the M50 are larger, the HD25-1 ii are twice as expensive, and the CAL have some of the worst build quality around.

The Q460 doesn't seem to be as well regarded as the K518, and those two are probably the more portable AKGs... That's why I was just curious how the newest ones stack up against other AKG's typically viewed as a good value.


Hey, I'm not saying anything definitive. I just question the cost of endorsements, and how much that detracts from the engineering. I guess I'm being jaded and unfair, I just assume that all things being equal two products from the same company, at the same price point, the unendorsed one will excel. I would guess that that one is a K518, tuned to Tiesto's favored signature (as decided by Harman marketing), in a pretty case.

But, I could be wrong

post #3741 of 4435
Well the K67 is the endorsed version, and as far as I can see it's selling for the same price as the non-endorsed K618 / K619... Might be tuned differently, they're identical from the outside tho. So unless you're just assuming that both are a mere rehash of the K518 in a different body then yeah, I'd say that's an unfair guess...
Edited by Impulse - 12/9/12 at 12:56pm
post #3742 of 4435
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

Hey joker, any plans to review the K618Dj (or K619 - mic version)? Or even the K67? (Tiesto branded version, possibly tuned differently) Came across them recently but there's not a lot of comparisons out there, they look like an interesting update to the old K518, not sure it's worth the price premium tho, since at this point the K518LE are like half as much on Amazon...

 

No plans to try those at this time. 

post #3743 of 4435

Any plans to the Beyerdynamic Custom One, or Monster Vektr, to see if they really are better than the Beats line for the same price?

post #3744 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

Well the K67 is the endorsed version, and as far as I can see it's selling for the same price as the non-endorsed K618 / K619... Might be tuned differently, they're identical from the outside tho. So unless you're just assuming that both are a mere rehash of the K518 in a different body then yeah, I'd say that's an unfair guess...

My mistake, I did a quick search, I didn't see that the endorsed version had a non endorsed version, too. Interestingly, the Koss Tony Bennett is supposed to sound different from the 100dj.
post #3745 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

My mistake, I did a quick search, I didn't see that the endorsed version had a non endorsed version, too. Interestingly, the Koss Tony Bennett is supposed to sound different from the 100dj.

Doesn't really tho... tongue.gif And it's been sold for less than the regular version during sales even.
Edited by Impulse - 12/9/12 at 6:14pm
post #3746 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post

Any plans to the Beyerdynamic Custom One, or Monster Vektr, to see if they really are better than the Beats line for the same price?

That's... Not really hard to accomplish.
post #3747 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post

Any plans to the Beyerdynamic Custom One, or Monster Vektr, to see if they really are better than the Beats line for the same price?

I don't know about the beyer but all the new monster headphones, the beats executive (and the mixr to a lesser extent) have reduced the muddiness; not completely but decent enough for a bassy headphone. They went from a terrible value to a not bad but not good value tongue_smile.gif. The monster DNA however is excellent for the price; they sound like the vmoda m80 with slightly more bass quantity and more forward mids.


Edited by lilboozy - 12/9/12 at 6:49pm
post #3748 of 4435

How does K518 LE stack up against the M-Audio Q40 in terms of bass quality, and quantity?

 

ANy plans to review any AiAiAi products like the Capital or TMA-1's?


Edited by invalid404 - 12/9/12 at 7:58pm
post #3749 of 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

I don't know about the beyer but all the new monster headphones, the beats executive (and the mixr to a lesser extent) have reduced the muddiness; not completely but decent enough for a bassy headphone. They went from a terrible value to a not bad but not good value tongue_smile.gif. The monster DNA however is excellent for the price; they sound like the vmoda m80 with slightly more bass quantity and more forward mids.

I am actually testing out both of these headphones and for the most part that is spot on. The only exception is at the same volume level the DNA is a bit more powerful/louder in sound. I was more wondering about the Vektrs, which cost about $20 more right now. 

post #3750 of 4435

Ignore this

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)