Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14) - Page 152

post #2266 of 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post

I Lol'd at the build quality descripcion of the bose.

 

I wonder if the top 3 is gonna suffer some changes anytime soon popcorn.gif

 



I think the P5's are on borrowed time in the number 3 position. Considering some of the glowing reviews I'm rather surprised they edged out the Sony MDR ZX 700's. From reading the various reviews I'm wondering if the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II will ever be dethroned from the coveted number one position. These reviews have made me curious to hear the AKG K181 DJ and the Sony MDR ZX 700.

 

Hey IJokerI in your opinion which can gives deeper reaching and better bass control the K181 DJ's or the Phiaton MS400's?


Edited by DigitalFreak - 8/7/11 at 5:01pm
post #2267 of 4421

I haven't compared them directly, but I would say they both have their faults in the bass. The MS400 are a tad muddier but relaxed sounding. The K181 are sharper and more impactful but I felt lacked body behind it.

post #2268 of 4421

I might buy the Parts-Express Mini.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-015

4.5/5 seems good.

post #2269 of 4421

If you notice, those reviews are for buying it to use the headband with the KSC75.  That's the only thing they're good for and IMO, they're not that good for that.  A headband mod for the KSC75 cuts down their portability quite a bit.  If you could find a $2 headphone with a folding headband that fit the KSC75, that would be great.

post #2270 of 4421

I would love to see a review of the Sennheiser HD 25 SP. Basically the variant with the cheaper headband as I've read it's sonically different from it's more durable brother.

post #2271 of 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post

If you notice, those reviews are for buying it to use the headband with the KSC75.  That's the only thing they're good for and IMO, they're not that good for that.  A headband mod for the KSC75 cuts down their portability quite a bit.  If you could find a $2 headphone with a folding headband that fit the KSC75, that would be great.


The Parts Express Mini headphone is awesome. I think the one reason it gets such terrible reviews here is that they're not using it with a High quality Tube amp. Mine also needed 146 hours of burn-in to clear up it's sound. When I modded it's earpads, it's soundstage is probably about half the size of the HD-800.

 

Sound quality depends on source too. I need to upgrade my DAC and I'm sure it will sound even better.

 

I recabled mine with silver too. This really brings out the treble.

 

post #2272 of 4421
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelopsaro View Post

Joker do you have in plans a review for the Fostex TH-7B? Or the v-moda crossfade M-80?

Since you live in California you could get a free review sample from v-modabiggrin.gif


I'm not dying to hear anything else from V-Moda after the original Crossfade.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger View Post
I wonder if the top 3 is gonna suffer some changes anytime soon popcorn.gif


I'd say that's very likely.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Hey IJokerI in your opinion which can gives deeper reaching and better bass control the K181 DJ's or the Phiaton MS400's?


The K181.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post

I recabled mine with silver too. This really brings out the treble.

Yeah, that'll fix it right up.

 

post #2273 of 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

I haven't compared them directly, but I would say they both have their faults in the bass. The MS400 are a tad muddier but relaxed sounding. The K181 are sharper and more impactful but I felt lacked body behind it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


The K181.

 



Thanks for the info guys looks like I've got some thinking to do for future purchases. Much respect to you joker for the work and time you put into the review it was quite informative.


Edited by DigitalFreak - 8/7/11 at 10:05pm
post #2274 of 4421

2 words. Holy. Shet.

post #2275 of 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


I'm not dying to hear anything else from V-Moda after the original Crossfade.

 

 


Well forgive me but you said that the crossfade are perfect in every aspect besides the sound!bigsmile_face.gif Some people say that the M-80 sound better than the original crossfade and are over the ear design instead of circumaural. One of those people was Jude so maybe his words stand for something.

 

ilounge states

"The new version is definitely better. Crossfade LP used 50mm dual-diaphragm drivers, and was pitched as a listening solution backed by professional DJs, but to this day, we can’t put on the otherwise beautiful headset without feeling as if our ear canals are being flooded by the deliberately clubby, overwhelming sound. It was isolating and engrossing, but sometimes too much to handle, sonically.

 

Crossfade M-80 and V-80 preserve the passive noise isolation capabilities of LP, but they’re sonically different from LP, shrinking to 40mm dual-diaphragm drivers without compromising in depth or staging. While V-Moda hasn’t given up on pushing the mid-bass and bass above their natural levels, the treble and midrange aren’t completely drowned out with these headphones, so there’s a greater sense of being able to hear the original details in your songs."


Edited by Angelopsaro - 8/8/11 at 6:06am
post #2276 of 4421

By the way joker, you should really review the ATH-ES55. It reminds me of the HD428 in that it has high value for it's price. Here's my review on it:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559703/ath-es55-quick-impressions-favorite-headphone-under-100#post_7563819

post #2277 of 4421

Can you do a review 0n these headphones Denon DJ dn-hp500, KRS kns 6400 & 8400 & Bose AE2.


Edited by yanks - 8/8/11 at 1:22pm
post #2278 of 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelopsaro View Post




Well forgive me but you said that the crossfade are perfect in every aspect besides the sound!bigsmile_face.gif Some people say that the M-80 sound better than the original crossfade and are over the ear design instead of circumaural. One of those people was Jude so maybe his words stand for something.

 

ilounge states

"The new version is definitely better. Crossfade LP used 50mm dual-diaphragm drivers, and was pitched as a listening solution backed by professional DJs, but to this day, we can’t put on the otherwise beautiful headset without feeling as if our ear canals are being flooded by the deliberately clubby, overwhelming sound. It was isolating and engrossing, but sometimes too much to handle, sonically.

 

Crossfade M-80 and V-80 preserve the passive noise isolation capabilities of LP, but they’re sonically different from LP, shrinking to 40mm dual-diaphragm drivers without compromising in depth or staging. While V-Moda hasn’t given up on pushing the mid-bass and bass above their natural levels, the treble and midrange aren’t completely drowned out with these headphones, so there’s a greater sense of being able to hear the original details in your songs."


If I want to know something about audio I get reviews from an audio specific site like this one and take what a tech site says with a grain salt. iLounge is far from a great source for headphone reviews,

 

post #2279 of 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post




If I want to know something about audio I get reviews from an audio specific site like this one and take what a tech site says with a grain salt. iLounge is far from a great source for headphone reviews,

 

 

 Ofcourse. but these are yet to be widely available so i read what big tech sites have to say. After all they are right with their opinion about the crossfade LP. they say that the M80 are not the same as the bass-circus of the LP. They got the LP right so their opinion counts more. If they said that the LP are fantastic and so are the M80 then i would have to pass.
 

 


Edited by Angelopsaro - 8/8/11 at 12:01pm
post #2280 of 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post




The Parts Express Mini headphone is awesome. I think the one reason it gets such terrible reviews here is that they're not using it with a High quality Tube amp. Mine also needed 146 hours of burn-in to clear up it's sound. When I modded it's earpads, it's soundstage is probably about half the size of the HD-800.

 

Sound quality depends on source too. I need to upgrade my DAC and I'm sure it will sound even better.

 

I recabled mine with silver too. This really brings out the treble.

 



This post needs a little more sarcasm, it's not "Head-Fi-y" enough yet rolleyes.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)