Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14) - Page 2

post #16 of 4449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
what is your next target??? Yuin G series??
There's several that I'm considering, but I don't much want to buy them new: JVC S700, G2A, PortaPros/KSC-35s, and Panasonic Slimz.
post #17 of 4449
"Current: Cowon D2 (I have given all the phones listening time on the Cowon to rule out any impact/bias the Sansas/HTA may have had) "

Great comparison and writeup!
Got news for you, the D2 is adding more bias to testing than the Sansa Clip will. This is due to the D2 not having a flat response curve, where the Clip is nearly dead flat.
The D2 has a very well thought out modified response curve that boosts low and high frequencies. Cowon got superior sound by doing this, because it corrects for the normal deficiencies in human hearing.
Not looking to raise the flames here, just pointing out some technical differences.
post #18 of 4449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14124all View Post
Great comparison and writeup!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14124all View Post
Got news for you, the D2 is adding more bias to testing than the Sansa Clip will. This is due to the D2 not having a flat response curve, where the Clip is nearly dead flat.
The D2 has a very well thought out modified response curve that boosts low and high frequencies. Cowon got superior sound by doing this, because it corrects for the normal deficiencies in human hearing.
Not looking to raise the flames here, just pointing out some technical differences.
Yes, I notice a sound difference between the Clip and the D2 and still use both for testing. Luckily, crap headphones still sound like crap on both, so I can't make a mistake there. Similarly, good headphones sound good on either. I'm still amazed by how great the clip sounds for the money.
post #19 of 4449
Some other SupraAural Portables:
Koss PortaPro
Grado iGrado
Yamaha RH5MA
post #20 of 4449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jung View Post
Some other SupraAural Portables:
Koss PortaPro
Grado iGrado
Yamaha RH5MA
Thanks, I'm still preparing to write up the next round. I've had one of the above three on back-order for a few weeks, should be here soon (or... erm... eventually ). Updates to come!
post #21 of 4449
Thanks for the review...but for the Mogami Cable can you give me the exacte reference off the cable and the 3,5 mini jack please.
I have just found some days ago koss ksc 75 at a fair for 5 euro but need new cable...so help me it will be my first try.....
post #22 of 4449
Thread Starter 
The recable was performed by head-fier pdupiano. I don't know which Mogami cable he used, but perhaps he will remember if you ask. The plug is a Switchcraft Gold/Black Plug. There is an excellent video tutorial of recabling KSC75's somewhere on the forums here. If you're unable to find it I probably have a bookmark somewhere...
post #23 of 4449
Whoa, at first I thought those Soundmagics were the Sony mdr-710 from the pic

thanks for the writeup!
post #24 of 4449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialx View Post
Whoa, at first I thought those Soundmagics were the Sony mdr-710 from the pic

thanks for the writeup!
You're welcome, hope it was useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathare34 View Post
Thanks for the review...but for the Mogami Cable can you give me the exacte reference off the cable and the 3,5 mini jack please.
I have just found some days ago koss ksc 75 at a fair for 5 euro but need new cable...so help me it will be my first try.....
I asked Paul and the cable is Mogami minature starquad from markertek. All credit to him for the excellent recabling job.
post #25 of 4449
Thread Starter 
Five new headphones posted. Bump for anyone subscribed to the thread. Cheers.
post #26 of 4449
killer review mate... killer. love the final synopsis
post #27 of 4449
Epic. Is it okay for you to do new ones? I would love to have comparisons this time on the Senn HD 2*8 series, the new Shure headphones and other products not on your review.
post #28 of 4449
Wow! Professional job!

Great review with lots of details on SQ, comfort and isolation.

One remark (if I may): Based on the variety of the music that you listened, it would be great to know how each portable responds to different music genres.

Thank you so much!

PS: Please keep any updates coming!
post #29 of 4449
iGrado's ranked 8th out of 11... that's all i need to know!!!
post #30 of 4449
Very nice review - I have been looking into a budget pair of over-the-head portable cans and this has been very helpful!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 113 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Alpha Design Labs ADL H118 added 07/15/14)