Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 112 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Monster DNA Pro over-ear added 05/13/14)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shootout: 112 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Monster DNA Pro over-ear added 05/13/14) - Page 148

post #2206 of 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric8205 View Post

oh, well he wouldn't listen to me anyways and bought the bose, i want to buy a better can to compare to him and was really looking at the ath m50, but i was ready to pull the trigger 2 days ago on amazon when they were $114, then the went back up to $146, wtf!?



AE2 isn't too horrible IMO. I tried them. Certainly not worth $150, but worth $60-$75 to me.

They're worth a little more to me because of how small and comfortable they are. I've yet to find another headphone as comfortable, as small/light and doesn't need an amp. Only one that comes to mind is the Maxell DHP-II and the Beyer Dynamic DT-235 with circumaural pads.

I'd use my KRK, but they not suitable for exercise.

 

Don't hate me, but I prefer the AE2 to the Creative Aurvana Live. I compared those side to side last week. Weird. Guess the AE2s more neutral signature is more to my liking. Yes, the AE2 is quite balanced and neutral sounding!

It's strange how the last time I had the Aurvana Live I liked them quite a bit and now I don't? I guess I'm gotten way too picky or my preferences have changed?!

 

BTW I did hear the OE2 (that Best Buy sells for $179!!) and didn't like them, but I only heard the display model. Sounded kind of muffled.

 

Now if I could ever find the AE2 for $70, I'd buy them again. No way ever they're worth $150. $100 max. I could never use the AE2 as a main headphone, but for exercise and as a portable with limited use, it's not too bad.

post #2207 of 4374
Anyone with a view on what the jmoney lambskin pads would do for the Superlux 668Bs (ouside of comfort)?

I'm all for comfort but worried I should default to the dt770 velours just because they are a known quantity with regards impact on sound...
Edited by 0jay - 7/8/11 at 7:39am
post #2208 of 4374

This thread was unbelievably helpful to me, thank you so much for making this ridiculously detailed yet succinct shoot-out.

 

Unfortunately, I still have two minor qualms. I'm interested in buying either the DT235 after reviewing the entire post, but does anybody know if they suffer any drop in sound quality when played at low volumes? I tend to listen to my music at just slightly above the lowest possible volume on my iPod nano through the stock ear buds, and I've read reviews of other headphones that stated that headphone didn't reach its full potential when played at a low volume.

 

Also, these cans aren't too revealing are they? Some of my favorite songs are in 192kbps MP3 format, and I don't want headphones that will tear through them.

 

 


Edited by TheAesirsFinest - 7/8/11 at 12:53pm
post #2209 of 4374
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAesirsFinest View Post

This thread was unbelievably helpful to me, thank you so much for making this ridiculously detailed yet succinct shoot-out.

 

Unfortunately, I still have two minor qualms. I'm interested in buying either the DT235 after reviewing the entire post, but does anybody know if they suffer any drop in sound quality when played at low volumes? I tend to listen to my music at just slightly above the lowest possible volume on my iPod nano through the stock ear buds, and I've read reviews of other headphones that stated that headphone didn't reach its full potential when played at a low volume.

 

Also, these cans aren't too revealing are they? Some of my favorite songs are in 192kbps MP3 format, and I don't want headphones that will tear through them.

 

 


I listen at pretty low volumes and I don't remember the DT235 forcing me to crank it up but it's been a while. 192 kbps is sufficient. I doubt you'll be able to detect any issues except in direct comparisons with a lossless file.

post #2210 of 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 


I listen at pretty low volumes and I don't remember the DT235 forcing me to crank it up but it's been a while. 192 kbps is sufficient. I doubt you'll be able to detect any issues except in direct comparisons with a lossless file.



Thanks for the quick reply. Yep, no qualms now. Off to buy them, thank you once again!

post #2211 of 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0jay View Post

Anyone with a view on what the jmoney lambskin pads would do for the Superlux 668Bs (ouside of comfort)?

I'm all for comfort but worried I should default to the dt770 velours just because they are a known quantity with regards impact on sound...


Have you read the troubles on the Jmoney pad thread?

 

post #2212 of 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


Have you read the troubles on the Jmoney pad thread?

 


Not to mention the pads themselves are probably double the price of the Superluxes...

 

post #2213 of 4374
Jmoney pads work out about the same as dt770 velour pads with delivery to Australia.
I've not read ca out any problems with jmoney gear but I will have a look, thanks.
post #2214 of 4374

would be cool if we can get the Aiaiai TMA1 added to this thread...

post #2215 of 4374

Hi guys,

 

Time for me to buy some new headphones as my 3 year old Senn CX400 got damaged a few days ago. So, I'm looking for a nice upgrade, but this time I want something external, not IEM, but not very big as I will use them mostly in the city/bus etc. and I don't like big headphones for this type of use.

 

After reading the first post, which is amazing! and extremly usefu!, I noted down a few products. These are:

AKG K430

AKG K81

Beyerdynamic DTX 300 p

Koss ProDJ 100

Audio Technica ES7 (quite expensive for me).

 

Now, unfortunately each of this has something that I don't like or read bad about it. For example, at this moment, I lean mostly to the K81...but I think it's quite annoying to wear a 2.5m cable after you and I understand they can be broken quite easily.

 

The top conditions for my search are:

-<80-100$ (if lower, the better)

-bass oriented (mostly for hip hop)

-closed

-not very big, like the sony are...xb300 would suit my tastes after reading some reviews, but they are too big as I see in the pictures.

 

So any other suggestion, advice, recommendation of other headphones is welcome. If you need any other info, I will provide it.

 

Thanks! :)

 

 

post #2216 of 4374
Thread Starter 

The XB300 is a lot smaller than the XB500 and XB700 - I don't think it would be too cumbersome outside, especially if you are also considering a full-size DJ can such as the DJ100. As for your other choices, the DTX300P and K430 really aren't bass oriented. The AKG K518 may be your best bet - it's got a short cable than the K81DJ but otherwise the same form factor. The JVC HA-M750 is also reasonably compact (though larger than the K518) and quite bass-heavy.

post #2217 of 4374
I'll try out the xb500 in semptember, one of many headphones on my list currently and they are the cheapest so might as well give it a go. I don't really have any headphones which I would consider particularly gaming oriented and thought the XB500 may bridge that gap. Can anyone vouch for them specifically for gaming purposes?
Edited by rovex - 7/11/11 at 2:10pm
post #2218 of 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post

I'll try out the xb500 in semptember, one of many headphones on my list currently and they are the cheapest so might as well give it a go. I don't really have any headphones which I would consider particularly gaming oriented and thought the XB500 may bridge that gap. Can anyone vouch for them specifically for gaming purposes?
 


XB500s bass might be too much for gaming.

 

post #2219 of 4374

I've used XB700 to game, and yes too much bass, even the voices were all weird. and the battles in some RPG games.... it was like someone was bombing all over.

post #2220 of 4374

What's the difference between on-ear headphones and around/over-ear headphones?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shootout: 112 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Monster DNA Pro over-ear added 05/13/14)