New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HF-2 - Page 2

post #16 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmathis View Post
This sucks!
That makes only 20-something HF-2s the way they were meant to be (HEAD-FI HF-2). Those lucky ones who attended CanJam '09. Would not surprise me if these become highly sought after...
But knowing the people who have them, I doubt any of us plan on selling them, not because they're rare or special, but because they sound really really good.

Quote:
Oh well, no HF-2 for me then. Cause I can not live with the flaw.
You always post about gear you say you're thinking about getting then never do, so nothing odd with your decision. One for someone else then.
post #17 of 1149
highly sought after? yeah, what a killing that's gonna be... it seems there are more
collectors than audiophiles around here...
post #18 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
But knowing the people who have them, I doubt any of us plan on selling them, not because they're rare or special, but because they sound really really good.
I do not doubt they sound nice. So do not expect any of these to hit the FS forum anytime soon...
Some of us care about looks as well though, and just not sound quality.

Quote:
You always post about gear you say you're thinking about getting then never do, so nothing odd with your decision. One for someone else then.
Probably because I am hard to please.
I like to see the final product and some user impressions/reviews before placing my order. When/if such appear the unit may appear differently than what I expected, simply too later (I have moved on), or ...
post #19 of 1149
Thanks Todd and John for all your efforts! I am really looking forward to these marvellous phones.
Remember people, it's about the music...and the chance to have a top of the line Grado such as this one should not be passed up - you may never see such fantastic deal again!
post #20 of 1149
The error is kind of silly, but is inconsequential. Maybe it makes it more endearing. I bit the bullet and ordered one.
post #21 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by takezo View Post
highly sought after? yeah, what a killing that's gonna be... it seems there are more
collectors than audiophiles around here...
Which makes me even happier that the first 20 people aren't collectors, but got HF2 solely because they love good sound. We also weren't at CanJam collecting headphones, but were there to celebrate friendships in the community, and help organize or volunteer at the meet.

The Head-F1s will sound the same as the original few. Considering their sq, I still believe they're a bargain, and with only 100 remaining available, I'm hoping people realize how lucky they are to be getting them.
post #22 of 1149
I am fairly certain that I will not pick them up, look at the ear caps, sigh, then wish they said "FI" on them. I am pretty sure that I will place them on my head, plug them into a nicely amped source, then be carried off by the music...

The 30 minutes I had for my first listen showed a lot of promise. Now to burn them proper...

Enjoy your music! What more do you need?

Regards!
-HK sends

Fones Rule!
post #23 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post

You always post about gear you say you're thinking about getting then never do, so nothing odd with your decision. One for someone else then.
x2. We are always complaining about more high end headphones and Grado drops one on our laps for a very reasonable price. To not want this kind of sonic performance due to a lettering mistake is quite silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canman View Post
The error is kind of silly, but is inconsequential. Maybe it makes it more endearing. I bit the bullet and ordered one.
I am sure you will enjoy it! I do agree with you that it is somewhat endearing, I can imagine telling the kids a "once upon a time" story when they ask why it says HEAD-F1. Also important to order one now since the cutoff is 500 or July 31st.
post #24 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
We are going to make the cutoff for the HF-2 at 500 headphones or July 31st. – which ever comes first. There are currently about 400 orders placed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundogan View Post
My guess is that you can order till the end of july with a max of 500 units, so I guess a total of 475ish orders.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...y-game-430577/

Called it :x

givf cookie

offtopic: todd, read your mail :x
post #25 of 1149
I would buy a pair in a heartbeat if the mistake had been that they were accidentally produced with a 300 ohm impedance
post #26 of 1149
I had already posted my impressions/review of my loaner pair previously, but figured this would be a good place to post here below:

"Finally got a chance to hear the Grado HF-2 today at absorbine's when Beely brought his set to the meeting. Not only that, he was nice enough to loan them to me as well. Listened a bit at Mike's on the Zana, and my first thought was "whoa, this sounds pretty much like a PS-1", or as what Jim calls them, baby ps-1's.

Fired them up a bit on the moth this evening, and I am really really really impressed. I can't get over how much they remind me of the PS-1's, but the bass is not as big, which to my ears is a good thing. I have always listened to and preferred bowls on the PS-1's, but even then the bass can get a bit overbearing. With the HF-2 I found it to share the same fullness in the mids but slightly lesser bass which I find to be more balanced. The top end has a nice sparkle on top without the sizzle that plagues some of the John grados, and I do feel it has a similar cohesiveness, a liquidity that runs from bottom to top with a nice full sound, very enjoyable.

Other than the slightly less bass quantity, I found that the HF-2 did NOT have the upper midrange glare, what I call "shout" that I have heard on practically every John Grado can, including the post vintage RS-1's, PS-1, and GS1000. On first impression I find them even more balanced than the PS-1, the PS-1 was to me the most balanced and refined John Grado can though the bass being a bit too heavy and the upper midrange shout still present. The HF-2 to my ears doesn't have those 2 issues hence why I find them more balanced. I would be curious to hear the PS-1000's as Todd as described the HF-2 as a baby ps1000. All impressions are with bowls - the flats make them sound very weird to me, more closed in, the bass becomes muddy and congested, just like how the PS-1 sounds to my ears on flats, somewhat unlistenable to me past 5 minutes. Also it has been maybe a couple of months since I have had PS-1's in house so take the acoustic memory effect into...effect.

Build quality - at least on Billy's pair the glue on the rim of the inner wooden chamber to the outer aluminum chamber is done pretty nicely. I was surpised to see that the whole inner chamber, even the part that is within the outer enclosure, is wood, and it appears the aluminum is braced around a wooden chamber. Interesting. I wish the etching of the letters was maybe a bit deeper, but I don't feel like playing the les garten card either.

I am happy with my order with Todd, and I shall continue to bother Todd about shipment with a call tomorrow. I would also like to thank Billy for loaning them out to me, he probably was getting annoyed by how often I bug him about them."


The one I have on loan now is one of the 1st 20 with the "correct" spelling. My only quibble about them is that the etching is not very deep. It looks like the new batch has nicer, deeper etching, but of course the lettering mistake. No biggie. I find it surprising no one has commented on how the whole inside of the headphone, both under the pads and within the outer enclosure, is completely wood/mahogany, with the aluminum appearing to brace around the wood.
post #27 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
I would buy a pair in a heartbeat if the mistake had been that they were accidentally produced with a 300 ohm impedance
Maybe an amp that can properly drive 32 ohm impedance headphones is part of the equation? (I keed, you know I love ya bro)
post #28 of 1149
I canceled my order. Not because I really care about the F1 thing, but simply because this illustrates lack of respect for the people who are buying this special edition product.

I bet it sounds good, but since I am not a big fan of Grado's sound signature I was getting this mostly to get a different flavor and also partake in owning a special product that is build with care and attention to details. I do not see a lot of special attention to details here, so I am out.

I am not willing to give my money to someone who does not care enough to somehow correct this mistake by giving a small refund or replacing the cups.
post #29 of 1149
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
Which makes me even happier that the first 20 people aren't collectors, but got HF2 solely because they love good sound. We also weren't at CanJam collecting headphones, but were there to celebrate friendships in the community, and help organize or volunteer at the meet.

The Head-F1s will sound the same as the original few. Considering their sq, I still believe they're a bargain, and with only 100 remaining available, I'm hoping people realize how lucky they are to be getting them.
it is an unfortunate error by grado, but it's good to know there are some
who'll appreciate the sound more than the collectibility/investment factors.
post #30 of 1149
Recstar, how do they compare to your HP2?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)