Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC - Page 5

post #61 of 1318
Damm, I ordered Little Dot MK2 for my dt880 250ohm. This think looks wery compact compared to it. And has a built-in dac. Did I make a mistake?
post #62 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
No, it can only go as high as 16/48, and I leave it at the 16/44.1 default when I plug into my Macbook.
1. But if fed from another DAC, say Ibasso D10 or Pico Dac only, can EF2 handle high res files like 24/96 or 24/192 [flacs] ? I am seriously considering EF2, hence any info on this topic would be very helpful.

2. Also, can the owners tell us which headphones mate/pair best with EF2?
[for genres: Jazz, R&B & Soul, bluegrass, classical, etc, i.e. anything except rock and pop].
post #63 of 1318
If you feed any amp from the analog outputs of a DAC, it can "handle" whatever that DAC outputs
post #64 of 1318
After looking into the Little Dot MKII++ as somebody reccomended to me, I started looking into this.

Does anybody think this is a bad idea for me?

X-Fi Titanium -> EF2 -> Sony MDR-V6

it seems right about the price point I'd want, has a DAC, and a tube amp. Seems perfect for my current setup... nice entry stuff. Anybody able to recommend against this?
post #65 of 1318
you don't really need an amp for the V6 IMO. it does fine straight out of an ipod or similar. but that is not a bad idea, it's definitely worth getting either way. it's a real good laptop or desktop solution, if not you could always use it as a stand alone amp.
post #66 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post
you don't really need an amp for the V6 IMO. it does fine straight out of an ipod or similar. but that is not a bad idea, it's definitely worth getting either way. it's a real good laptop or desktop solution, if not you could always use it as a stand alone amp.
I already ordered a FiiO E5, as my ipod doesn't power them well enough.

This is for my desktop as I want something powerful that has tubes in it. I've heard tube warmth does these cans REALLY good.
post #67 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
If you feed any amp from the analog outputs of a DAC, it can "handle" whatever that DAC outputs
Off the topic of this thread, but a quick follow up question on Skylab's reply: Does Ibasso D10 or Pico dac offer 24/96 analogue output?

from HPA's post , I gather that D10 can process 24/96 digital input, but how about the analogue output?
post #68 of 1318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
If you feed any amp from the analog outputs of a DAC, it can "handle" whatever that DAC outputs
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxophone View Post
Off the topic of this thread, but a quick follow up question on Skylab's reply: Does Ibasso D10 or Pico dac offer 24/96 analogue output?

from HPA's post , I gather that D10 can process 24/96 digital input, but how about the analogue output?
You are confusing digital with analog - the 24/96 is digital 24 bits / 96 Khz sampling rate, which is a higher resolution recording than say something recorded at 16/44.1

But analog is analog, the resolution is whatever you put into it. If you feed the DAC a higher resolution recording it will put out a higher resolution analog signal. Any amp set up for analog input can accept any analog input, regardless of resolution. The D10 analog output is very detailed.
post #69 of 1318
Two things I'm confused about here, if I use the RCA inputs (via a 3.5mm cable to dual RCA), will I still get the DAC functionality, or is the DAC only available via USB? The way I'm understanding it currently is it can function as a stand alone sound system that you plug in via usb, or I can use feed it from my X-Fi and still maintain all the funcitonality...

I'm worried I wouldn't.
post #70 of 1318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell View Post
Two things I'm confused about here, if I use the RCA inputs (via a 3.5mm cable to dual RCA), will I still get the DAC functionality, or is the DAC only available via USB? The way I'm understanding it currently is it can function as a stand alone sound system that you plug in via usb, or I can use feed it from my X-Fi and still maintain all the funcitonality...

I'm worried I wouldn't.
Sometimes I think you guys just don't understand the differences between the DAC and RCA jacks. When you use the RCA input you are feeding it an analog signal, when you use the DAC you are feeding it digital signal. You can't use the DAC on an analog signal. There is a switch on the front of the EF2 to let you chose which of the two inputs (RCA or USB) to listen to.

With EF2 switched one way you hear whatever is playing into the RCA inputs (X-fi, or iPod, CD player, or a stand alone DAC which has digital input and analog output).

With EF2 switched the other way you are listening to it using the USB DAC, which is to be plugged into a computer (you only need the computer and the EF2 plugged into USB to get sound). On the computer you can direct all digital audio to come out through the USB port > EF2 > headphone jack on EF2 > SOUND!
post #71 of 1318
Well, I apologize. I really don't understand the concent of a DAC, but you have explained it well. I was confusing DAC with a Pre-AMP, for whatever reason in my mind, so it's strictly dual function in my case. I guess I'll have to look around a bit more and try and fight another more cost effective tube based amplifier.
post #72 of 1318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aynjell View Post
Well, I apologize. I really don't understand the concent of a DAC, but you have explained it well. I was confusing DAC with a Pre-AMP, for whatever reason in my mind, so it's strictly dual function in my case. I guess I'll have to look around a bit more and try and fight another more cost effective tube based amplifier.
What is it that you need this to do that you think it doesn't do? Do you need a pre-amp? Are you trying to drive speakers? Do you need the DAC?

With this you can plug in just about anything that makes sound (TV, CD, DVD, iPod, computer line out or headphone out, or plug ii into a PC USB port) - and then listen to it with the built-in headphone amp. You might even be able to use the 1/4" headphone jack to drive a bigger amp if you get the right cables or adapters (I even own an ALO Audio 1/4" to RCA cable).
post #73 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
What is it that you need this to do that you think it doesn't do? Do you need a pre-amp? Are you trying to drive speakers? Do you need the DAC?

With this you can plug in just about anything that makes sound (TV, CD, DVD, iPod, computer line out or headphone out, or plug ii into a PC USB port) - and then listen to it with the built-in headphone amp. You might even be able to use the 1/4" headphone jack to drive a bigger amp if you get the right cables or adapters (I even own an ALO Audio 1/4" to RCA cable).
Sorry my misunderstanding. I know it doesn't meet my desires.
post #74 of 1318
Last night I spent a good couple of hours using the iPod via a dock out into the HF2 and for cans I was using a MarkL Modded Denon D2000 w/ Bubinga Wood Cups and a re-cable by Brian of Zynsonic. I was very pleased with the sound and could not believe how musical and engaging the unit is.

Next (today) I used a Philips DVD player as a source and an Ultrasone HFI-780 re-cabled by Alex of APureSound and w/ a pair of Beyer Velour pads. I am very happy to report the EF2 scaled up very well, most noticeable is the extended highs and clearer more detailed presentation. Most importantly the unit retained its musicality and engaging presentation. No it is not a hyper detailed amp but who cares when it has such an appealing sound, frankly I am surprised at how good it sounds. Specially so at the MSRP of $189.

I will continue burning in the unit and hope to use the DAC via the USB input. I will also start looking for new NOS tubes to roll and listen for changes. More to come.
post #75 of 1318
DAC = Soundcard but external and typically ALOT better quality, that should help your confusion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC