Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC - Page 85

post #1261 of 1318

The tube heaters do glow a bit. But not as much as the big rectifiers and power tubes in OTL amps. 

post #1262 of 1318

The rubber band didn't help me in this case, the tubes were too tiny. A proper sized allen wrench made quick work of the screws and acrylic plate though, so I removed them after that. Tubes are a bit of a pain to remove and replace, eh? They're in there good and tight. I get paranoid I'll break something!

post #1263 of 1318

Anyone tried it with a FA011? Trying to find something to tame the highs of it.

post #1264 of 1318
Is this amp powerfull enough to power the sennheiser hd650?
post #1265 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by William007 View Post

Is this amp powerfull enough to power the sennheiser hd650?

 

Yes. No problems whatsoever.

post #1266 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by William007 View Post

Is this amp powerfull enough to power the sennheiser hd650?

Absolutely, it drives my HD600s surprisingly well-so well, in fact, that I haven't had the upgrade itch in quite a while :D

post #1267 of 1318

Alright... I think it might be time to start rolling my EF... Question is does it really matter if I buy a matched pair, or just buy a pair of singles?  

Also... Voshkod.  Anyone here had any experience with those tubes? 

post #1268 of 1318

Mullard CV 4010, try em out
 

post #1269 of 1318

Should i get the Schiit Asgard to drive these or just stick with my trusty ef 2A please reply quickly because i'm buying the Schiit Asgard and the Sennheiser HD 600, does the EF2A drive the HD600/650 to it's best performance?


Edited by William007 - 7/6/12 at 12:51am
post #1270 of 1318

Why don't you try them with the EF2A first?

post #1271 of 1318
A friend of me is selling hes asgard with the hd 600 for 450 euros, the hd 600 cost 310 in belgium and the asgard is +/-250 with shipping.. So i'm thinking of buying these together but i'll try the hd 600 with my ef2a first.
post #1272 of 1318

i was all confused because of the video from thatsnazzyiphoneguy (tsig on forum) he said that the ef2a isn't powerfull enough to drive the HD600 ( this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20fiFq2GFpE )

post #1273 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by William007 View Post

i was all confused because of the video from thatsnazzyiphoneguy (tsig on forum) he said that the ef2a isn't powerfull enough to drive the HD600 ( this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20fiFq2GFpE )

 

I disagree with much of his review - but especially his "understanding" of impedance and power/sensitivity. The EF2A is just fine with the HD600. 

 

Will is run them to their "best advantage" as you state - it is hard to say - I tend to not like my HD600s with ANY solid state amp (and that includes the Hifiman EF2A, since it is a hybrid) as much as I do with OTL tube amplifiers. But with that said - I think the EF2A is every bit as good sounding as the Asgard - and of course, has the built in USB dac.


Edited by liamstrain - 7/5/12 at 7:07am
post #1274 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamstrain View Post

I disagree with much of his review - but especially his "understanding" of impedance and power/sensitivity. The EF2A is just fine with the HD600. 

Will is run them to their "best advantage" as you state - it is hard to say - I tend to not like my HD600s with ANY solid state amp (and that includes the Hifiman EF2A, since it is a hybrid) as much as I do with OTL tube amplifiers. But with that said - I think the EF2A is every bit as good sounding as the Asgard - and of course, has the built in USB dac.
What amp do you like then? cool.gif
post #1275 of 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by William007 View Post


What amp do you like then? cool.gif

 

Best bang for the buck for the HD-600/650 is the Bottlehead Crack, in my opinion. Even without the Speedball upgrade, it just destroys everything else anywhere near the price. 

 

But I still keep my EF2A for my other office. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2 tube Hybrid Amp with USB DAC