Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › opinions on the DT770 '05 600 ohm?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

opinions on the DT770 '05 600 ohm?

post #1 of 149
Thread Starter 
Hi All,


I believe in an earlier post, skylab was discussing how the DT770 '05 600 ohm version has balanced bass and has tamed highs, thus more or less balanced well throughout the spectrum.

I've always been on the lookout for an ideal closed phone, and was wondering if anyone (searches turned up nothing) had an inkling of a comparison of the DT770 '05 600 ohm (perhaps with a dual-entry recable from Moon-Audio) and the HD600 with a cardas cable.

I haven't purchased a cable upgrade yet, and want to refrain from trying the DT770 as I would want to go the manufaktur route.

Also, any thoughts on how this version of the DT770 would be for mixing/monitoring would also be great.

Finally, since I'm guessing most are as clueless about this comparison as I am, I will probably contact Moon-Audio for their thoughts as well.


Best,
Keith
post #2 of 149
I posted a comparison w/ the other DT770 here : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5506048-post4.html
post #3 of 149
I can tell you in a couple of weeks, because I'm planning to buy the DT770 Premium 600 ohm.
And I owned the DT770 Premium 250 ohm.
post #4 of 149
I dont like the hd600, but then I havent heard one with and aftermarket cable... all I can tell you is that the dt770 600 manufaktur is and amazing closed can, try them with leather pads and a tube amp!. Skylab is right about the balance. I am now looking at the likes of w5000 or w11jpn for a better closed can, I doubt they can be much better vis a vis the price difference, Ill listen soon.......
post #5 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post
I dont like the hd600, but then I havent heard one with and aftermarket cable... all I can tell you is that the dt770 600 manufaktur is and amazing closed can, try them with leather pads and a tube amp!. Skylab is right about the balance. I am now looking at the likes of w5000 or w11jpn for a better closed can, I doubt they can be much better vis a vis the price difference, Ill listen soon.......
If you need closed cans for isolation, forget W5000, they leak in and out same as semi-open DT880, guess this is why it's sound so spacious, cups are there just for visual, they are not fully closed with those all those ports between cups and pads. On the other hand, they are best dynamics I've owned to day.
And speaking of 600Ohm DT770, if they are not manufakturr the chances are quite high that you'll get mismatched drivers or missing dampening caps on one or both drivers. I went through three pairs, and all of them had substantial mismatch, from 30 to 15 Ohms drop between left/right drivers. One pair had no dampening caps at all, and one had cap on just one driver. Beyer USA contacted me for all the details and promised to send all that information to Beyerdynamic headquarter for investigation. Meanwhile I would just stick with Manufaktur, those carbon fiber from Moon Audio look gorgeous, not sure about detachable cable though.
post #6 of 149
a little off topic, what makes dt770 a closed can? i thought it uses the same pad as dt880/990. or at least my dt880/990 has the same pad while the dt770 from the shop i go uses the same pad as 880/990.
post #7 of 149
Thread Starter 
leeperry - thanks for the impressions!

tiemen - haha i just may be in your boat

guydebord - great to know...do the leather pads affect the sound? i think i read that they increase the bass?

andrew_wot - i do recall reading about the impedance issue...and yes that carbon DT770 looks delicious

fhuang - the backing of the earcups has no 'air vents' and is solid...thus 'closed'

thanks all for the help! very useful information...

finally: does anyone think the 600 Ohm DT770 '05 Consumer edition would be neutral/balanced enough for simple monitoring/mixing? i've read that the HD600 is sometimes used by classical mastering engineers so for simple mixing i would assume it's fine enough - i never do too many complicated projects, so i would think any can that is relatively balanced between frequencies and relatively detailed should do the trick...thanks again!

-keith
post #8 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhuang View Post
a little off topic, what makes dt770 a closed can? i thought it uses the same pad as dt880/990. or at least my dt880/990 has the same pad while the dt770 from the shop i go uses the same pad as 880/990.
The earpads of the DT770 look the same on the outside, but are actually different than the DT880/990 earpads.
post #9 of 149
classical is not where this phone shines IMO. piano doesn't sound amazing, and live ensembles don't really deliver either....violin sounds great, though! but maybe I didn't listen to the right CD's(the microphones didn't sound REALLY great, just barely listenable), or maybe an ensemble is not meant to sound "spectacular", after all.

OTOH, Ennio Morricone OST's sound truly mind blowing! the stereo image is true-to-life and everything just sounds perfect....but I also heavily modified my DT770.

PS: having second thoughts, I've heard some amazing classical, but not big ensembles...so I'll put it on the sound recordings!

as far as mixing is concerned, it can playback up to 20Hz and the trebles are very clear...I've had major disappointments mixing w/ my previous cd1k in Cubase VST because it didn't play anything <60Hz, but this DT770/600Ω really delivers in that department....w/o the crazy overblown 770Pro bass.
post #10 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
classical is not where this phone shines IMO. piano doesn't sound amazing, and live ensembles don't really deliver either....violin sounds great, though! but maybe I didn't listen to the right CD's(the microphones didn't sound REALLY great, just barely listenable), or maybe an ensemble is not meant to sound "spectacular", after all.

OTOH, Ennio Morricone OST's sound truly mind blowing! the stereo image is true-to-life and everything just sounds perfect....but I also heavily modified my DT770.

PS: having second thoughts, I've heard some amazing classical, but not big ensembles...so I'll put it on the sound recordings!

as far as mixing is concerned, it can playback up to 20Hz and the trebles are very clear...I've had major disappointments mixing w/ my previous cd1k in Cubase VST because it didn't play anything <60Hz, but this DT770/600Ω really delivers in that department....w/o the crazy overblown 770Pro bass.
interesting...well classical is mainly what i listen to and work on so i'll take as many impressions regarding classical music as i can!

and i spoke with Drew from Moon-Audio and he estimated that a carbon, dual-entry Black Dragon '05 600 Ohm DT770 would cost around $650...

which means im second guessing trying one out for the time being...i could afford it but i'd rather not spend such a huge chunk of change as i really like the HD600 even with the stock cable

i guess my ideal end goal for the near future would be to find a closed version of the HD600 and i've been wondering if this pimped out DT770 would be it

in the meantime i could upgrade the cable on my HD600 - but im not even in it for the sound as much as i would just prefer something that looked a bit better and did not have a 1/8>1/4 converter

advice? thanks!
post #11 of 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukrisna View Post

and i spoke with Drew from Moon-Audio and he estimated that a carbon, dual-entry Black Dragon '05 600 Ohm DT770 would cost around $650...
Guess good chunk of that price is the cable as 600Ohm Manufaktur DT770 starts at $319 beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*DT 770 Premium 600
post #12 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
Guess good chunk of that price is the cable as 600Ohm Manufaktur DT770 starts at $319 beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*DT 770 Premium 600
right - but they add dampening and make it so that cables can be dual-entry & removable...plus that carbon material...

i tricked out a DT770 on the manufaktur site that came out to $380...then to get it recabled...yeah lots of $
post #13 of 149
$650 is a ridiculous amount for a DT770...my recabling attempts on the DT770 failed each time I tried(yes, I did try cryo-parts TWcu wire)..

for $650 second hand(or not), you can prolly find better.

and the DT770 is way better w/ genuine leather headband/ear pads, they're more comfortable and the pads open up the headstage(coz they're thicker)
post #14 of 149
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
$650 is a ridiculous amount for a DT770...my recabling attempts on the DT770 failed each time I tried(yes, I did try cryo-parts TWcu wire)..

for $650 second hand(or not), you can prolly find better.

and the DT770 is way better w/ genuine leather headband/ear pads, they're more comfortable and the pads open up the headstage(coz they're thicker)
i guess the question now is whether or not the DT770 benefits much from a recable...if it's just the $380 that i'd end up spending, then maybe i'd be more inclined to take the plunge...i could actually bring the price down further if i didn't customize it as much haha
post #15 of 149
I'm currently trying the John Williams best of in lossless, and it sounds plain bad...I love these cans for acoustic/electronic/amplified musics, but I'd say that they're a poor choice for classical ensembles tbh..YMMV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › opinions on the DT770 '05 600 ohm?