Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Single Power ES-1/2 repair and restoration thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Single Power ES-1/2 repair and restoration thread - Page 4

post #46 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post
If I wanted to open up my Supra XLR to take photos of the circuit layout - would I need to take any specific cautions?

Take out tubes, un-plug from wall, _________ ?

I am defiantly interested in documenting older work.
It is impossible to tell and as such you should only open the chassis if you know what you're doing and what to expect. There are lethal voltages in there and that's nothing to take lightly or fool around with.
post #47 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_maher View Post
It is impossible to tell and as such you should only open the chassis if you know what you're doing and what to expect. There are lethal voltages in there and that's nothing to take lightly or fool around with.
Defiantly fair enough. I honestly don't want to mess around with anything, but defiantly would like to know what I "really have."

I defiantly am not the type to stick my finger in the socket, so I will leave the lid shut.

Thanks.
post #48 of 157
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by neouser View Post
Did that thing really cost 3999$? What about never buy anything before seeing what there's inside?
As Kevin said it was close to 10k$ yet almost none of the upgrades paid for were actually inside the amp. No V-caps for interstage coupling, no Black Gate caps in the power supply and no V-caps their either. The "digital biasing control" was a 20$ voltmeter off ebay, 8 pushbutton switches with some wire and there is no solid core silver wire anywhere to be found, just basic PVC silverclad wire. It's also well documented that this isn't a one off thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post
If I wanted to open up my Supra XLR to take photos of the circuit layout - would I need to take any specific cautions?

Take out tubes, un-plug from wall, _________ ?

I am defiantly interested in documenting older work.
If you don't know what you are doing then you shouldn't open up a tube amp since the capacitors can hold lethal voltages for some time. One should never open any electronic components while it is connected to the AC in the wall. The amp should continue to play once you power it off, just running off the capacitors and thus draining them. With this ES-1 amp the PSU is down to 2v or so in a couple of minutes but that may not be the case with your amp. The dynamic amps are also OTL which means they have large caps on the output which need to be drained since they can hold a charge.
post #49 of 157
It must be said again. It's just incredible how INCOMPETENT, FRAUDULENT, and UNETHICAL Mikhail was/has/been/is in conducting business.

Neil
post #50 of 157
Maybe because he planned it this way?

Oh, and the tube business has been sold.
post #51 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvg View Post
It must be said again. It's just incredible how INCOMPETENT, FRAUDULENT, and UNETHICAL Mikhail was/has/been/is in conducting business.

Neil
QFT, sadly many of us w/o knowledge would not be able to tell. In my case I got lucky that I decided to open my amp when it returned and I realized a paid for part was not installed and was able to have it resolved by Mikhail. Otherwise I would have paid for a $400 upgrade and would not have gotten it.
post #52 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NTAL View Post
Defiantly fair enough. I honestly don't want to mess around with anything, but defiantly would like to know what I "really have."

I defiantly am not the type to stick my finger in the socket, so I will leave the lid shut.

Thanks.
I don't think there's a problem taking the case off. Make sure the power chord and umbilical (if any) is pulled out. The only problem I had was that Mikhail torqued the 1/16" Hex head screws so tight that i had to really heat them up to unscrew them and even then I used a professional hex-head tool that set me back $23 + shipping from the US. (This was after I broke 2 1/16" Allen wrenches and 1 hex-head screw driver).

Draining (mostly) the large filter caps by allowing the amp to play on is a good idea.

Most SP cases come off upside-down. The regular Supra case is the same as the MPX3, but I am not sure about your model. That means setting the unit(s) on its (their) back(s). On the Supra/MPx3 case there are four 1/16" (very small) hex head screws on the front and back at the bottom to unscrew. Once you get the screws out, you'll get a better lay of the land by lifting the case off very slowly and peaking inside for any wires attached to the case. But I think you'll find that the faceplate, where all the dials and knobs are, is not connected to the movable section that comes off (usually the bottom).

Don't touch any parts inside unless you know what you are doing. On the other hand, the big storage caps are generally way out of the way, and they are the ones that can bite. These are the inside the two big black cylinders on the top of the case. Inside, they are distinguished by their large circumferences at the base and two posts to which wires are attached (and of course they are located where you see them from the outside).

Take pictures....and post them, along with a description of what Mikhail said he installed. Use a bright light and try to avoid the flash.

If you bought your amp new in the pre-Dec 2006 time frame, I think there's a pretty good chance you got what you asked for.

My MPX3 Slam SE was built in the summer of 2006, and I got everything he said was in there. I'd be curious, however, to know the time period when this started to change, as I sensed he was having some problems in early 2007.
post #53 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1 View Post
Maybe because he planned it this way?

Oh, and the tube business has been sold.
No, this wasn't planned, I'm sure of that. But I am not sure exactly how much was due to business practices and how much to ethics.

The tube business has been sold? You mean his large tube inventory AND Ebay shop? When did that happen?
post #54 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
No, this wasn't planned, I'm sure of that. But I am not sure exactly how much was due to business practices and how much to ethics.

The tube business has been sold? You his large tube inventory AND Ebay shop? When did that happen?
More accurate to say he longer longer owns, nor controls, the tube business. Not sure when the trigger was actually pulled.
post #55 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabbi1 View Post
More accurate to say he longer longer owns, nor controls, the tube business. Not sure when the trigger was actually pulled.
Have you been able to confirm this in any way? I heard this rumor too but the adds all use the same old red velvet background although the listing style has certainly changed a bit lately.
post #56 of 157
If the business is sold I wonder why no announcement? Something along the lines of "under new management".
post #57 of 157
Thank you Spritzer for initiating this thread... I have 2 ES-1's and even the PSU's are different from the ones you posted. One PSU has PCB's and is very neat and very little wiring exposed, while the other is a mess like you the one you posted. The newer unit has a supposedly 'newer and improved' circuit... if you need any pictures, let me know I cant post the innards of both amps and PSU's.
post #58 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokunin View Post
Thank you Spritzer for initiating this thread... I have 2 ES-1's and even the PSU's are different from the ones you posted. One PSU has PCB's and is very neat and very little wiring exposed, while the other is a mess like you the one you posted. The newer unit has a supposedly 'newer and improved' circuit... if you need any pictures, let me know I cant post the innards of both amps and PSU's.
Are they working properly and do they sound the same?
post #59 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
Are they working properly and do they sound the same?
I guess working is a relative term, but yes, so far they have worked. Although on one unit the L/R channels are swapped on the STAX connector, so I have to switch the orientation of the HE 1.3's when I listen.

On occasion there is a weird distortion or swirling type of sound that I hear in one channel on one of the amps that is not there in the other amp. Also once again it's intermittent sometimes there is a buzzing / hum sound that appears after a rather long listening session. Not sure what is causing these, could be my tubes..

I've sent a link to Kevin that has the high-res photos of the Power supplies, after lunch I'll try and photo the amp sections.
post #60 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokunin View Post
I guess working is a relative term, but yes, so far they have worked. Although on one unit the L/R channels are swapped on the STAX connector, so I have to switch the orientation of the HE 1.3's when I listen.

On occasion there is a weird distortion or swirling type of sound that I hear in one channel on one of the amps that is not there in the other amp. Also once again it's intermittent sometimes there is a buzzing / hum sound that appears after a rather long listening session. Not sure what is causing these, could be my tubes..

I've sent a link to Kevin that has the high-res photos of the Power supplies, after lunch I'll try and photo the amp sections.
When I had my ES-1, I also experience the same symptoms on the left channel of my HE90. Mikhail explained to me that the older HE90 diaphragm is closer to the spacer than the second release. Hence smaller voltage is required to decrease the diaphragm excusion amount.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The Single Power ES-1/2 repair and restoration thread