Originally Posted by GiuseppeItalia
good, very good, Mark!
I don't think you have taken off important material from the shell, you followed the anatomy of the ear canal, very good the first and the begin of second corner, excellent depth, you were right sanding at that point, because shells go in the ear canal without pains.
Pay attention to remember how to direct the sound output hole.
you can do better but you are a beginner and my vote it's 10+
Many facts and few words!.
Thank you Guiseppe! Well, they are finally done, more or less. I still don't have a completely smooth finish, but I've already put so many coats I want to wait until they've dried completely before I put more on.
Here's a pic of them after fitting into the molds. Note, I used a ~7 ohm resistor as the anode to both DTEC and CI, and a 1uf cap as the anode to WBFK:
Here's a pic of the bottom. I cut holes at the ends of the ear canals to run the acoustic tubing through, and then sealed it off with some 5 minute cure epoxy. It's great because it doesn't adhere permanently to either the tubing of the mold, so when I was done I basically just cracked it off. Note that there's a filter in one of the tubes that obviously isn't deep enough, I just inserted it for testing purposes.
Here are pics after I poured the molds. I again used a few drops of translucent purple enamel to color the epoxy (which I think is a plastic urethane).
And here are some pics after the final touches. Basically, I smoothed out the roughest sections with an agressive bit, but was very careful not to take out too much material. Then I used one of those wire brush bits to smooth it out some, and the round any edges. Then I just sprayed them with maybe 6 coats of high gloss clear acrylic.
I have a white filter in WBFK and DTEC and a red filter in CI. Before they were poured when I still had them as mock ups I tested them by plugging two of the tubes at a time so that I could make sure that I could isolate each individual driver, make sure it was working, try to gauge the balance, etc. The resistors balance the larger drivers with WBFK perfectly, couldn't be better. And the cap on WBFK results in crystal clear, shimering highs. When I was testing them and isolating each individual driver it was amazing, I could clearly tell which driver was the high, the mid, and the low without even having them in my ears, that's how distinctly and acurately each one of them does it's thing. I have to tell you guys, this project sucked up a lot of cash, probably close to $400, and probably 30 - 40 hours of time (partly because I screwed up), but they sound amazing. They sound as good as full size cans. They produce a low end that puts my K701s to shame. I couldn't be happier. I just can't wait until I can have an extended session with them...