New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home-Made IEMs - Page 131

post #1951 of 2328

Can't really post one right now since the testing equipment is on the other computer. But this is with a new 5 driver one I'm testing. CI+ED23147+29689 x2 +30019. Just stuffed my leftover drivers into a shell and made some crossovers for them to see how it goes. But the phase cancelling issue isn't solving itself which is weird. Everything is wired correctly to me. 

 

22955 & 23147 - full range

29689 - 2.2uf 1st order

29689 - 1uf 2nd order

30019 - 1uf 1st order

 

The design isn't meant to be good, but I didn't expect serious phase issues with it though!

 

Edit: Think I got the polarity of one of the tantalums wrong...oops


Edited by Xymordos - 7/18/14 at 1:03pm
post #1952 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

Can't really post one right now since the testing equipment is on the other computer. But this is with a new 5 driver one I'm testing. CI+ED23147+29689 x2 +30019. Just stuffed my leftover drivers into a shell and made some crossovers for them to see how it goes. But the phase cancelling issue isn't solving itself which is weird. Everything is wired correctly to me. 

 

22955 & 23147 - full range

29689 - 2.2uf 1st order

29689 - 1uf 2nd order

30019 - 1uf 1st order

 

The design isn't meant to be good, but I didn't expect serious phase issues with it though!

 

Edit: Think I got the polarity of one of the tantalums wrong...oops


ufff... so many drivers and a second order... that's a tough one...

Try measuring each driver separately and then two together and three and the rest - you'll be able to control phase and frequency. It will take a lot more time but it's nice when you get something right at first try rather than making shells from scratch just because you've made one mistake.

post #1953 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

 

 

Edit: Think I got the polarity of one of the tantalums wrong...oops

Er... does it even matter? As far as I know reversing polarity of caps on signal path only affects noise ratio, which is unlikely to be audible. It's AC you are working with after all. Never heard of phase shifting though.

post #1954 of 2328

Does the polarity of the tantalums not matter? o.o It said online that if you flipped the polarity it'll destroy the film layer or something...

 

I managed to fix the problem by taking one of the drivers out before, but I couldn't replicate that afterwards -.-

post #1955 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

Does the polarity of the tantalums not matter? o.o It said online that if you flipped the polarity it'll destroy the film layer or something...

 

I managed to fix the problem by taking one of the drivers out before, but I couldn't replicate that afterwards -.-

What kind of tantalum are you using? I doubt a few volts can spoil the cap. 

 

googling around and I came across this: jimmyauw.com/2010/04/24/observing-inner-and-outer-foil-of-some-popular-capacitors/

post #1956 of 2328

I see, that's good then. I'm using the regular yellow rectangles :P But I guess if they did spoil there won't even be sound...

 

Still testing the drivers one by one, probably will take the whole day :(

 

Edit: So it wasn't phase cancelling, but simply the frequencies not covered by the drivers very well...How much does a filter shift a peak?

 

Edit2: It seems like the ED23147 and the CI22955 are cancelling each other on the bass...both have no crossovers and are wired normally!

 

Theoretically if they're all wired correctly, should there be severe phase cancelling? 


Edited by Xymordos - 7/19/14 at 3:24am
post #1957 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

Edit2: It seems like the ED23147 and the CI22955 are cancelling each other on the bass...both have no crossovers and are wired normally!

 

Theoretically if they're all wired correctly, should there be severe phase cancelling? 

No, they should amplify their sound - increase quantity.

You've got CI polarity wrong probably - check again with datasheet.

post #1958 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

I see, that's good then. I'm using the regular yellow rectangles :P But I guess if they did spoil there won't even be sound...

 

Still testing the drivers one by one, probably will take the whole day :(

 

Edit: So it wasn't phase cancelling, but simply the frequencies not covered by the drivers very well...How much does a filter shift a peak?

 

Edit2: It seems like the ED23147 and the CI22955 are cancelling each other on the bass...both have no crossovers and are wired normally!

 

Theoretically if they're all wired correctly, should there be severe phase cancelling? 

yeah check the datasheet again. It's literally your CIEM Bible.

post #1959 of 2328

Hah, nevermind, it wasn't sealed properly. Though for some reason the 5k dip is present for all my ED drivers even when tested alone? I'm guessing the dip is due to driver incoherency rather than a phase cancellation

post #1960 of 2328

Mind posting your graph? 

post #1961 of 2328

Will post when I can seal the mouth without breaking any wires :(

post #1962 of 2328

So before I could even test my second one, my first one suddenly did this...Did the ED driver die or did the WBFK phase get messed up?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #1963 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xymordos View Post
 

So before I could even test my second one, my first one suddenly did this...Did the ED driver die or did the WBFK phase get messed up?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Well... The top graph is quite good you know. I assume everything after 8-9kHz is not really relevant

In bottom graph the ED is silent.

post #1964 of 2328

Hey guys, im quite new to this but im just wondering if we can use those UV lights to cure nails to cure the UV acrylic ? 

post #1965 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negataros View Post
 

Hey guys, im quite new to this but im just wondering if we can use those UV lights to cure nails to cure the UV acrylic ? 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems/1695#post_10567368

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home