Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II) - Page 37

post #541 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_i_bus View Post

Apparently the pro-900 are quite low impedance at 40ohm, so even if I found them extremely cheap (like 50% off) from somewhere and couldn't resist the upgrade, the DM>LD I+>Ultrasone Pro-900 should work fine.



Here is a thread about two years old in reference to the PRO900s and my opinion.  I had just plugged them into the I+.  Post #3 & 5...I'm a bit of an Ultrasone freak...lol...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/373265/does-anyone-like-the-ultrasone-pro-900#post_4877081

post #542 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatFan12 View Post

Here is a thread about two years old in reference to the PRO900s and my opinion.  I had just plugged them into the I+.  Post #3 & 5...I'm a bit of an Ultrasone freak...lol...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/373265/does-anyone-like-the-ultrasone-pro-900#post_4877081


Thanks. I am pretty much headed down that route. After my foray into the $500+ IEM world for a while, I started with akg k81djs and then finally the Ultrasone 780s and since then, I don't think I will purchase anything other than ulltrasones as my cans. The link was useful, cheers.

 

At the moment I am waiting to hear back from David about ordering it direct from him with the top spec tube (WE0840 or something like that). I know it's a bit expensive from them considering how cheap the tube can be bought for, but I'm happy to get it included in this shipping and pre-fitted for me. Maybe I'll do the other upgrades some people report like with the opamps myself. Besides, I didn't see the tube for sale on it's own on ebay.

 

Update:Got a quick response from David so even though it's not on his ebay account, looks like they are shipping! :) Can't wait to see how it pairs with the DM and Ultrasones.


Edited by analogue 3 - 9/27/10 at 6:24am
post #543 of 642

Okay I have done some testing since I had dropouts (song is playing then there is a second pause and it continues to play and it happens again and again randomly) and I swapped a coaxial cable (tried many cables) for an optical one I got with audio GD dac and there are no more dropouts.

post #544 of 642

Hey guys, if anyone is interested I am selling my PSU upgrade for DacMagic. I will eventually buy another PSU for it but with IEC input.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527721/ra-powerpak-psu-for-dacmagic

post #545 of 642

I have a question concerning my DACMagic...

I can't seem to control the output (xlr) of that device. I recently bought the spl 2 control but i can't even get past 7.30-8.00 o clock before it gets too loud. Even if I switch on the dim mod.

I'm using Dynaudio bm5a mk2 speaker and I also trimmed the volume by -10db there. 

Same thing with that tc electronics level pilot. 

Does anyone have any idea how to handle that otherwise great device?

post #546 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by cYbernation View Post

I have a question concerning my DACMagic...

I can't seem to control the output (xlr) of that device. I recently bought the spl 2 control but i can't even get past 7.30-8.00 o clock before it gets too loud. Even if I switch on the dim mod.

I'm using Dynaudio bm5a mk2 speaker and I also trimmed the volume by -10db there. 

Same thing with that tc electronics level pilot. 

Does anyone have any idea how to handle that otherwise great device?



Not sure what the problem is? You wan't to go past 8 o clock just to go past 8 o clock or is there any other reason?

post #547 of 642


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by cYbernation View Post

I have a question concerning my DACMagic...

I can't seem to control the output (xlr) of that device. I recently bought the spl 2 control but i can't even get past 7.30-8.00 o clock before it gets too loud. Even if I switch on the dim mod.

I'm using Dynaudio bm5a mk2 speaker and I also trimmed the volume by -10db there. 

Same thing with that tc electronics level pilot. 

Does anyone have any idea how to handle that otherwise great device?



Not sure what the problem is? You wan't to go past 8 o clock just to go past 8 o clock or is there any other reason?


I do not understand the issue either.  The output is of the xlr is fixed from the device.  I use a mixer and can control the volume of the input I have the DACMagic plugged into.  Your devices might simply need some kind of attenuator like that.

post #548 of 642

I'm kind of glad to see this thread resurrect - I am a very happy DacMagic owner who until recently owned a VDac as well on a secondary rig. I sold it because I'm consolidating, but for those who are debating the choice of these two (I was once one of those people) I have the opinion of someone who owned both.

 

I loved the VDac but would say unconditionally the DacMagic was best for me. The difference on the performance end was subtle but slightly better on the Dacmagic to me - I favor transparency and neutral presentation, and I think the Dacmagic delivers there. No slight on the VDac - again - the difference is subtle at best. My k701s shine with this unit, my "guilty pleasure" DT990s are so phenomenal with the DacMagic - it helps me love these phones more every time I get a chance to listen to them.

 

My main point - outside of the performance (which is no small consideration I know) - the DacMagic is a monster multi-dimensional piece of gear. I am all digital - this is the freaking brains of my system. I run lossless streaming from my Macbook to an Airport Express - optical to my Dacmagic. from there - all kinds of awesome options for me...M-Stage amp to my k701s...Little Dot MKIV to my DT 990s, or simply Denon receiver to my external speakers...WOW - way more worth than the $429 this cost me. It is IMO a digital hub of amazing quality - I'd pay double for it if I had too.


Edited by lescanard - 12/17/10 at 8:09pm
post #549 of 642

I just bought a black DacMagic about a week ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a very significant upgrade coming from my Auzentech Forte sound card. My speakers are KRK Rokit RP8G2 studio monitors, which I bought for music and not for mixing. Before getting the DACMagic, I wasn't completely satisfied with my Rokits because the sound was a little too harsh and brittle. They were fatiguing to listen to, especially after 30 minutes. But the speakers were brand new so they had to go through some burn-in. After switching out the Forte for the DACMagic using 3ft balanced cables, the differences were immediately apparent. The sound became more transparent, and for once I paid particular attention to the instrument separation, which there wasn't really much of with the Forte.

 

It's been five or so days since I hooked the DacMagic up to my system, and with each listen I get more impressed. I've never heard such a degree of clarity coming from one of my home audio setups. As more times passes, I noticed my music is sounding more laid back and musical than ever. The speakers don't even fatigue my ears anymore (at all). They're laid back enough to fall asleep to. I'm sure the differences will become more apparent as both my speakers and DacMagic acquire more burn-in, but as it is, with around 20 hours of burn-in on the DacMagic, I'm satisfied. I was worried I wouldn't hear much of a difference at all, because I couldn't really find anything to compare the sound quality of the Auzentech Forte to the DacMagic. So if anyone else was considering upgrading from their sound card but wasn't sure if it would be much of an upgrade - trust me, it is.

 

I just wish I had an amp for my Grado SR-225i headphones, so I can test those with the DacMagic as well.

post #550 of 642

Some days ago I have received a new custom power supply that I ordered from Sean that sells on ebay ( custom.hifi.cables ). He made me a dual PSU for Onkyo dock and the DacMagic and here I my impressions of the unit: 

 

 

The Onkyo dock now has less harsh sound and sounds smoother. The difference is subtle but well worth it as I have now ditched a power strip (photo attached). Before both wallwart supplies took 4 inputs on the power strip, now a single hardwired cable going from a custom power strip is needed to power both devices. The custom PSU also has an on/off button and I can now completely turn off the dock (before it was on standby).
The DacMagic was a decent DAC with the bundled wallwart (I have to note that I hate wallwarts). I then bought the Russ Andrews power pack which was 150€ shipped (I think only the Kimber umbilical cord raised the price by 30%). That PSU made noticeable improvements but again it was a wallwart and it made noise. In the manual it stated that it vibrates in order to convert extra energy into vibrations instead of heat. For me that is unacceptable. The custom PSU Sean made for me makes zero noise and doesn't become hot at all. And it encases two PSUs! Sean's PSU kept all the virtues of the upgraded RA PSU but two things I noticed almost instantly when I plugged the new PSU in- the soundstage has become wider and most importantly the bass became tighter. Before the bass was noticeably "bloaty" compared to my other DAC, the Audio GD Reference 5.
The build quality is amazing, the cables are more practical than I ever imagined to be and the best part is as I have already noted before is that only one power cable is needed to power both devices.
 
He lists a PSU for DM on his site and more info on the circuit can be found there if anyone is interested. I will make some photos and post them later tonight.
post #551 of 642

I guess I'm not sure what a new power supply will do to change the sound if it meets the original design parameters of the original PSU. confused.gif

post #552 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post

I just bought a black DacMagic about a week ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a very significant upgrade coming from my Auzentech Forte sound card. My speakers are KRK Rokit RP8G2 studio monitors, which I bought for music and not for mixing. Before getting the DACMagic, I wasn't completely satisfied with my Rokits because the sound was a little too harsh and brittle. They were fatiguing to listen to, especially after 30 minutes. But the speakers were brand new so they had to go through some burn-in. After switching out the Forte for the DACMagic using 3ft balanced cables, the differences were immediately apparent. The sound became more transparent, and for once I paid particular attention to the instrument separation, which there wasn't really much of with the Forte.

 

It's been five or so days since I hooked the DacMagic up to my system, and with each listen I get more impressed. I've never heard such a degree of clarity coming from one of my home audio setups. As more times passes, I noticed my music is sounding more laid back and musical than ever. The speakers don't even fatigue my ears anymore (at all). They're laid back enough to fall asleep to. I'm sure the differences will become more apparent as both my speakers and DacMagic acquire more burn-in, but as it is, with around 20 hours of burn-in on the DacMagic, I'm satisfied. I was worried I wouldn't hear much of a difference at all, because I couldn't really find anything to compare the sound quality of the Auzentech Forte to the DacMagic. So if anyone else was considering upgrading from their sound card but wasn't sure if it would be much of an upgrade - trust me, it is.

 

I just wish I had an amp for my Grado SR-225i headphones, so I can test those with the DacMagic as well.


This is great to hear as currently I am using my headphones from my Auzentech Forte sound card and have no way of connecting my new KRK RP6 monitors and sub. I was looking at the DacMagic as a solution for a DAC to accompany my HA-160 amp and also so I could plug in my RP6s balanced into my PC. Your thoughts have helped tipped me in the DacMagic's favor. I was looking for something that would smooth out the KRK sound a little, but not too much, and this sounds like a great solution.

post #553 of 642

I just bought myself the Dacmagic. First nights listening comments:

 

Oh my god, what treble! This was the first striking aspect. I've been using the hd650 with a lake people g100 + rega ear headphone amps for awhile now, connected to the emu 0404usb and to my old kenwood receiver. The dacmagic really has a lot more resolution and treble energy that it's pretty odd. My ears will take awhile to adjust to this. I switched to the steep filter because it has the speed of linear but it also brings down the highs somewhat. I think that the other filters are maybe too revealing.

 

Everything is very well controlled and I can't really find much to complain frequency response wise. One thing that I find bad is the way how vocals that should be in the middle are oddly pretty low in volume. When I increase the volume so that I could hear the vocals better, the whole sound became way too loud. Steep filter slightly improves on this.

 

Let's see what burnin does to this.

 

 

 

post #554 of 642

That was not my experience with this device, but give it time.

post #555 of 642

Going to get some XLR cables as the Lake People G100 has balanced XLR inputs. Will report.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)