Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II) - Page 4

post #46 of 642
Oops, I mis-read the specs

http://global.images8.fotosik.pl/39/...b50d999b51.jpg

I have the old-skool Technics SU-VZ220 stereo amp there. The unit is nearly as old as me

I was thinking of potentially going

iMac -> optical -> Dacmagic -> Technics amp -> speakers (probably budget Tannoy F1's but comparison listen tomorrow will answer that)
And then down the line buy a dedicated full-sized headphone amp and put that into the Dacmagic as well next to the Technics

Hence why I was asking about the outputs on the Dacmagic
post #47 of 642
I played it for a friend today and he loved it.

I'm not sure if this is the right term, but I think the sound is very neutral and I mean that in a very good way. There's nothing "colored" about it as I've heard with the past dacs I used. Great soundstage, drums, and an exciting midrage. Another thing we noticed today is that you don't necessary have to turn the volume up very loud to get the best out of it.

It seemed as though the other dacs I used needed more decibels to shine, while the dacmagic sounds great even when you don't crank it up. There isn't much of a spacious live sound to old rock classics and motown hits, but modern music sounds unmistakably great (we're talking 80s and up).

I'm going to try and give my punk and rock music another try, perhaps I've been focusing too much on my hip-hop/electronic and modern rock collection rather than "true" rock (guitars, drums, no frills). I don't want to be quick to judge as I need more time to do some critical listening with other genres.

Anyone here strictly use rock? What do you think? What filter do you use?
post #48 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by roker View Post
Another thing we noticed today is that you don't necessary have to turn the volume up very loud to get the best out of it.
This is something I have noticed with mine too. I took some detailed SPL readings recently. My average listening level for classical music with the DACMagic is around 58 dBA with absolute maximum peaks measuring 76 - 78 dBA. This is for medium scale orchestral works. This compares previously to average listening levels of 70 dBA with peaks to around 88 dBA prior to purchasing the DACMagic. So I am now listening at literally half the volume I used to. Not only is the lower listening level more ear friendly, but it means I can listen for longer sessions with absolutely zero listening fatigue. The music is extremely clear, detailed and effortless at low volume levels with the DACMagic.

Music just seems to pour effortlessly out of this DAC as opposed to the rather tiring, constipated, bleached and turgid sound I got out of my previous V-DAC. The DACMagic totally remakes the case for CD being a perfectly acceptable sound carrier medium, rather than the low-fi alternative I had always thought it was for the last 20 years.

I could never listen to more than about a third of a CD before buying the DACMagic. Now I will regularly enjoy listening to several CDs in a row, still with no listening fatigue. My music listening is now driven simply by how much time I have to listen to it, rather than for how long my ears can stand it.
post #49 of 642
.
post #50 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
This is something I have noticed with mine too. I took some detailed SPL readings recently. My average listening level for classical music with the DACMagic is around 58 dBA with absolute maximum peaks measuring 76 - 78 dBA. This is for medium scale orchestral works. This compares previously to average listening levels of 70 dBA with peaks to around 88 dBA prior to purchasing the DACMagic. So I am now listening at literally half the volume I used to. Not only is the lower listening level more ear friendly, but it means I can listen for longer sessions with absolutely zero listening fatigue. The music is extremely clear, detailed and effortless at low volume levels with the DACMagic.

Music just seems to pour effortlessly out of this DAC as opposed to the rather tiring, constipated, bleached and turgid sound I got out of my previous V-DAC. The DACMagic totally remakes the case for CD being a perfectly acceptable sound carrier medium, rather than the low-fi alternative I had always thought it was for the last 20 years.

I could never listen to more than about a third of a CD before buying the DACMagic. Now I will regularly enjoy listening to several CDs in a row, still with no listening fatigue. My music listening is now driven simply by how much time I have to listen to it, rather than for how long my ears can stand it.
I am in complete agreement. This DAC is the best value product I have ever purchased in over 30 years of being a dedicated home audio listener. There are better DACs out there but this one comes very close. I am holding on to this one for quite some time.
post #51 of 642
Quote:
Yeah get either the TBAAM or Airport Express. You'll absolutely need it with this DAC just looking at how noisy and how much jitter (3200ps!!!!) the USB input brings with it. Otherwise sounds like a great DAC. Too bad about a price increase DESPITE the weaker UKP vs USD. The price should have gone down if anything. But the UK price also went up recently.

Eh? The Turtle Beach thingie is USB to optical. You are just adding another jittery interface. I could see it maybe with a bus connected soundcard that does TOSLINK out but for that kinda money I would just go AES/EBU out of the sound card to the DacMagic. No doubt USB is not the first choice for sound quality but at this price point it is and Cambridge designed to sound as good as it could via USB for the money. Hearing is believing however and I don't use mine in a headphone rig so, maybe. I use mine to listen to internet radio over loudspeakers in a desktop rig
post #52 of 642
how does this dac compare to the d10 dac? I think they might use the same chip
post #53 of 642
Only headphone guys could get excited about this POS. It is far from being a giant killer. Also, far from being anywhere close to adequate in a main system. I just do not understand why people drop their standards to next to nothing when selecting a DAC for HP use.
post #54 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post
Only headphone guys could get excited about this POS. It is far from being a giant killer. Also, far from being anywhere close to adequate in a main system. I just do not understand why people drop their standards to next to nothing when selecting a DAC for HP use.
WOW.... a different opinion. Just keeps things interesting.
post #55 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post
Only headphone guys could get excited about this POS. It is far from being a giant killer.
THe only people who refer to it as a giant killer are guilty of hyperbole, as there is probably no such thing in the audio world.

Far from being a POS, I tested one out for weeks before buying, and found it to be a very enjoyable upgrade from a portable amp/dac I had.

And good value for money IMO, which isn't always easy to find with audio products.
post #56 of 642
Apologies for hijacking the thread for a moment, but can anyone who bought their DacMagic from Wild West Electronics tell me how long it took to arrive? I ordered mine on the 14th and I haven't even received a ship confirmation email yet.
post #57 of 642
..delete
post #58 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland View Post
Apologies for hijacking the thread for a moment, but can anyone who bought their DacMagic from Wild West Electronics tell me how long it took to arrive? I ordered mine on the 14th and I haven't even received a ship confirmation email yet.
I bought mine from Audioadvisor.com and got it in 3 days. See if you can cancel and go with them instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post
Only headphone guys could get excited about this POS. It is far from being a giant killer. Also, far from being anywhere close to adequate in a main system. I just do not understand why people drop their standards to next to nothing when selecting a DAC for HP use.
I got mine for my speakers mainly. It sounds great and this was after the recommendation from other sites where it was used in speaker setups mainly. I don't know about "giant killer", but top quality in it's class might be a better term. IMO, there's no such thing as giant killers, but there is good value for the money and I'm sure the rule of diminishing returns starts here.
post #59 of 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Mostro View Post
Only headphone guys could get excited about this POS. It is far from being a giant killer. Also, far from being anywhere close to adequate in a main system. I just do not understand why people drop their standards to next to nothing when selecting a DAC for HP use.
What a Noob.
post #60 of 642
Doubt Il has ever heard it. It is quite adequate for my purposes and I do not use it in a headphone system and I have an $8000 dac in my main system so I think I might know what a good one sounds like. Jealousy and pettiness is such a terrible thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)