Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX360, MX460, MX660, and MX760
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX360, MX460, MX660, and MX760 - Page 2

post #16 of 115
From a couple of links sent to me, I picked up the MX-760 a couple of weeks ago. They are the most satisfying of all the MX series, and that would stand to reason. They have the full sound of the 560+660 and about 80% of the 660 superwide soundstage (probably too wide). I wasn't sure if I would like the short cord + extension, but it hasn't bothered me. I now sleep with these and have sold the PK3 which was just too mid-centric, treble shy for me.

O, BTW, I also have the Summer special $99 REO on the way. Can't wait for that -- NE-7M may be the next on the sales block!
post #17 of 115
Hi guys.

I'm considering ordering a pair of MX760's tonight (I'm in the UK and they still seem readily available here).

There's just one thing that's putting me off at the moment. I've read a few times that some people really don't like the extension cord. I don't mind having to use the extension cord, but what makes me cautious is the extra weight it supposedly adds. I don't want it to pull down on the earbuds making them uncomfortable to wear.

So if someone could clear this up for me.. Does the extension cord really add that much extra weight? Can you feel the earbuds being 'pulled down' when you're wearing them? (whilst walking, for example.. with the mp3 player in your trouser pocket)

Thanks,

aydin.
post #18 of 115
The extension cord is a nuisance, but not weight down enough for me not to use MX760 on the move (and I didn't even use a shirt clip).
post #19 of 115
Same as ClieOS for me. The short cord and extension cord have the standard size 3.5mm connections but are quite slim and very unobtrusive. I can't say that they add any noticable weight, to me. You might be able to find a plastic clip to add to the line to hold it to your clothing.
post #20 of 115
Okay, thanks for the replies!

That's good enough for me. I'll go ahead and order a pair
post #21 of 115
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delayed response. I was on vacation and didn't realize that this thread was bumped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan View Post
nice review!! we love the MX 560 and MX 660 at the office...they are truly underrated earbuds. i find that the foam cushions make all the difference...without them you get a clean clean clean response but with them you get some great low end that is very clear. the 760 blew me away when we first got demo's at the US office several years ago. great job!
Thanks TheDeliveryMan for the compliments. I do agree that they are underrated, perhaps even by your own company. Maybe I should have named this thread "Sennheiser MX760 - most underrated earbuds on the market"

You make a great point about the foams, which I failed to mention in my review. I personally prefer the MX760 with the foams, as it increases the bass and soundstage and blunts some of the treble which can be overabundant without the foams.

I look forward to future open earbud designs from Sennheiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
I have the MX760 now (thanks, Ken) and I agree it is quite a good sounding earbud, nothing less than the other Senn. flagship earbud MX90vc. The only real downside for me is that the fit could be better.
You're welcome Tai!
I agree that the fit could be better. Indeed, it would be nice if Sennheiser used the MX760 drivers in a twist-to-fit design. I'm a big fan of the fit of the MX90VC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhaynes View Post
From a couple of links sent to me, I picked up the MX-760 a couple of weeks ago. They are the most satisfying of all the MX series, and that would stand to reason. They have the full sound of the 560+660 and about 80% of the 660 superwide soundstage (probably too wide).
I think the reason why the MX660 seems to have a larger soundstage than the MX760 is because of the recessed midrange, but that's just what I'm hearing. Of course, I'll take the MX760 over the MX660 any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydin1 View Post
That's good enough for me. I'll go ahead and order a pair
Hi aydin1! Hope you enjoy the MX760 as much as I do. Welcome to the exclusive club.
post #22 of 115
I am reviving this thread because I want to order a pair of these, but cannot find them anywhere, but ebay.
But the price on ebay seems way too cheap, around 20 USD shipped.
I am not sure if I can post the link here, so I am not posting it.

Do you guys think the ebay seller is selling fake ear phones?

Thanks!
post #23 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_hin View Post
I am reviving this thread because I want to order a pair of these, but cannot find them anywhere, but ebay.
But the price on ebay seems way too cheap, around 20 USD shipped.
I am not sure if I can post the link here, so I am not posting it.

Do you guys think the ebay seller is selling fake ear phones?

Thanks!
Hi ah_hin. eBay is home to many sellers offering counterfeit items, and the MX760 is no exception. However, if the seller you are referring to is VMInnovations, I believe they may actually be legitimate. I can't find the specific posts, but I recall people here purchasing PX100s and IE series IEMs from them without any problems. I am planning on buying a pair of MX760s in Titanium from them (to compliment the MX90), so I'll let you know if they are the real thing.
post #24 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk1281 View Post
Hi ah_hin. eBay is home to many sellers offering counterfeit items, and the MX760 is no exception. However, if the seller you are referring to is VMInnovations, I believe they may actually be legitimate. I can't find the specific posts, but I recall people here purchasing PX100s and IE series IEMs from them without any problems. I am planning on buying a pair of MX760s in Titanium from them (to compliment the MX90), so I'll let you know if they are the real thing.
Hi, kjk1281. I was indeed referring to VMInnovations, and saw the prices were really cheap, so I was hesitant to order from the seller.

how do you usually tell if it's real or fake? I am not an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound, so my guess would be by listening?
Will physical appearance also be really different?

I currently own the Sennheiser MX 550, which i bought several years ago, and although the wire (the rubber housing part) is coming off from the volumn control, they are still in perfect working condition.
So I am very interested in another pair of Sennheiser earbuds.

I think I will just go ahead and order from ebay anyway, hope to get them by friday!
post #25 of 115
Thread Starter 
Usually listening is the best way to tell whether a product is genuine or not, and in the case of a good-sounding product like the MX760, there should be quite the difference between the real thing and a knock-off.

Of course, there are differences in build quality as well, not only in the earphones themselves but also the accessories. The faux leather pouch would be a dead giveaway, considering the fake Sennheisers that come with pouches that are misaligned and overall poorly put together. The authentic pouches, although also made of fake leather, are of very high quality.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine with purchasing from VMInnovations due to the reasons given in my previous post, and that they sell Sennheiser models that are not usually counterfeited like the HD202.

In any event, feel free to post your impressions either in this thread or a new one!
post #26 of 115
VMInnovations seems to have quite a good rep. on eBay. Unfortunately they don't ship oversea (to my place anyway) cause their Senn. pricing definitely worths a look at.
post #27 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
VMInnovations seems to have quite a good rep. on eBay. Unfortunately they don't ship oversea (to my place anyway) cause their Senn. pricing definitely worths a look at.
Hi ClieOS, i was reading around the forum and saw that you seem to know quite well about Fiio. Do you think the MX760 can get better with the E5? I am looking to find an amp for my office use.
I am currently running a rockboxed sansa e250, with MX500 (to be MX760 and/or PK3), do you think I will benefit from having a budget amp like the E5?
post #28 of 115
I just Received these mx760 today, comparing them to my pk3 out of the box, it seems the hype is true. Although the pk3's are great buds these mx760 are a bit better, but not too much.

I bought mine of ebay on Sunday and received them today from the seller barzatrust for $21 buyitnow. Thats a steal, and I checked the phones for any signs of it being a fake. The pouch is def good quality, and also everything looked legit.

Sound wise these things are clear, and have good sound sound reproduction while maintaining that laidback accurate sennheiser sound sig. I find the pk3's a bit more comfy because they are smaller, but the mx760 cost $20 less than the pk3s ($40). With burn-in these baby's will shine.
post #29 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_hin View Post
Hi ClieOS, i was reading around the forum and saw that you seem to know quite well about Fiio. Do you think the MX760 can get better with the E5? I am looking to find an amp for my office use.
I am currently running a rockboxed sansa e250, with MX500 (to be MX760 and/or PK3), do you think I will benefit from having a budget amp like the E5?
I admittedly have not tried the MX760 with the E5 for any extended period time, but I found that, although the change wasn't drastic, the FiiO seems to bring out the midrange slightly when in normal mode. Bass boost obviously adds a bit of bass, but I find it unneeded considering the MX760 already has plenty to my ears. I can't say whether the E5 would be worth a purchase if you don't already own one, at least in this particular application.

As someone who owns a Rockboxed e260, I will say the MX760 pairs well enough with the Sansa, though there are times that the e260's midrange can be slightly grainy, with a dip/recession somewhere in the mid to upper midrange, both of which will be revealed by the Sennheiser buds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe12 View Post
I just Received these mx760 today, comparing them to my pk3 out of the box, it seems the hype is true. Although the pk3's are great buds these mx760 are a bit better, but not too much.

I bought mine of ebay on Sunday and received them today from the seller barzatrust for $21 buyitnow. Thats a steal, and I checked the phones for any signs of it being a fake. The pouch is def good quality, and also everything looked legit.

Sound wise these things are clear, and have good sound sound reproduction while maintaining that laidback accurate sennheiser sound sig. I find the pk3's a bit more comfy because they are smaller, but the mx760 cost $20 less than the pk3s ($40). With burn-in these baby's will shine.
I'm glad you're liking the Senns johndoe12, and it's good to hear that barzatrust is selling genuine articles. But hopefully nothing I said came across as hype. The MX760s are very solid earphones that I feel are definitely worth the price at its original MSRP ($40), and in my humble opinion they're an excellent value at the current eBay price of around $20. But I'll avoid saying anything more other than the fact that I prefer the MX760 to the KSC75.
post #30 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe12 View Post
... I bought mine of ebay on Sunday and received them today from the seller barzatrust for $21 buyitnow. Thats a steal, and I checked the phones for any signs of it being a fake. The pouch is def good quality, and also everything looked legit.
That may be the same eBay'r I bought my MX760 from -- name sounds familiar. I also am confident mine is not a fake -- you can look at the Y joint and a true Senn hp will not be crimped at the split.

Also, with the E5, the MX760 has a better defined bass and treble that the MX560 just doesn't have. The 560 is sort of cramped and confined to the mids, to my ear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW: A Novice's Take on Sennheiser's MX360, MX460, MX660, and MX760