or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 517

post #7741 of 10423
Well I wouldn't want to try that with a $700 headphone biggrin.gif
Personally I find that Beyer cables aren't as annoying as other companies like M-Audio and Sony. Both make terrible cables IMO. The Sony's cable is thinner than the dt880's driver cables (the ones that come out of the headband). And the M-Audio, where do I start biggrin.gif luckily it was detachable so I got a V-Moda cable for it.
post #7742 of 10423
Ultrasone HFI-780 cable, permanent bends in it from how they do a butterfly fold for packaging. No possible way on earth to straighten out the bends, chop it off and install a 3.5mm TRS socket in the cup.

Fixed! biggrin.gif
post #7743 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

Good news! Recabling the Telsa drivers are easier! biggrin.gif There are pictures of the internals. Look em up. smily_headphones1.gif
I'd dual Tiny xlr the T90's or T1's in a heartbeat! I just love my cable on the DT880, it's like using a piece of cotton rope, very soft and flexible. biggrin.gif
post #7744 of 10423
The T1's cable is four times the thickness of the 880 and T90 cable. The cord from each cup is twice as thick. redface.gif
post #7745 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

The T1's cable is four times the thickness of the 880 and T90 cable. The cord from each cup is twice as thick. redface.gif

That's OK, Q-Audio and Norne Audio make some very fine cables.

 

post #7746 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

is it like night and day?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

From 880s to T1? Yeah... I would say so.

 

And yet there are those who've bought the T1 and gone back to the 880. And several reviews I've read seem lukewarm about the actual improvement, merely talking about a more etched quality. The FR for the two phones is remarkably similar, and while I'm not suggesting that that means they sound the same, it does mean that Beyer in producing a flagship have not managed to improve the FR at all. When a manufacturer produces a phone 5 times the price, I expect that it will measure as well as sound better.

post #7747 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

is it like night and day?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

From 880s to T1? Yeah... I would say so.

 

And yet there are those who've bought the T1 and gone back to the 880. And several reviews I've read seem lukewarm about the actual improvement, merely talking about a more etched quality. The FR for the two phones is remarkably similar, and while I'm not suggesting that that means they sound the same, it does mean that Beyer in producing a flagship have not managed to improve the FR at all. When a manufacturer produces a phone 5 times the price, I expect that it will measure as well as sound better.

  Exactly that is why i'am not going to dropped some $$$$ for something that is not much improvement over my DT880 i need to audition one before i dropped some of my hard earned $.This is the reason why i ordered the BH CRACK thought of upgrading my HP with better than the DT880 600 Ohms my original budget was CAD $1800 now minus the BH CRACK i even auditioned  HD800  i went to one of the store in GTA i don't like what i heard from HD800 and burson so HD800 is out for me.The sales guy actually owned one in his home and he said the HD800 is picky BH CRACK is not for him(sales guy) so if i picked up the HD800 i will be way over my budget that is why i considered the T1.I like having high impedance HP so i don't need to dropped more $ for the amp i just used what i have. 

post #7748 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

And yet there are those who've bought the T1 and gone back to the 880. And several reviews I've read seem lukewarm about the actual improvement, merely talking about a more etched quality. The FR for the two phones is remarkably similar, and while I'm not suggesting that that means they sound the same, it does mean that Beyer in producing a flagship have not managed to improve the FR at all. When a manufacturer produces a phone 5 times the price, I expect that it will measure as well as sound better.
I think ppl mainly go back because they balk at the price. If both cans were the same price, I think ppl would choose the T1s without giving it a thought. It is the Tesla version of the 880s. Much like the T90s is a Tesla version of the 990s. Yes, they have similar FR because that FR is their house sound. The DTXX0 are just different versions of their house sound. 770s are a closed back version, 880s is their stock house sound and the 990s are the "fun" tuning of that house sound. The T1s is their best presentation of their house sound. Take the house sound and make everything else around it better. That's what I feel the T1 is. Their best 880s.

At the end of the day though, it's going to come down to the listener and the ever present diminishing returns. It's better, yes. But is it $XXX better? That's up to you and how you evaluate and value things. lojay said it best. He's heard better hps like SR009, LCD2/3, etc but when you factor in the price of everything, the 880s are amazing and I agree! I still think have no doubt in my mind that the 880s is one of the best values around. If it weren't for that blasted upgrade-itis, I would've stopped with the 880s as my primary can. Every upgrade past that mid-tier point, it's just minor percentatges better. It's up to you to make that call.

Personally, I value bang-for-buck. For the price of a T1, I can own the T90s AND the DT880s (Or Q701s, but it will become the 880s again some day! dt880smile.png) so I'm going that route. Even if I have the luxury of owning multiple T1s, I probably won't because as I see it... it's T90s with better soundstage and the $200+ isn't worth it. I've reached my limit and it's around $500 for any one piece of equipment so there I'll stay. Until the Itis hits again so don't hold me to this blurb in time. wink.gif
post #7749 of 10423
The HD800 is high impedance @ 300 Ohms, ask MIKELAP about them in the Little Dot thread, he loves them out of the MK III & WA2. He also has a Conductor for his DAC / SS amp, so you have to scale your gear up proportionately with the Top Tier cans...

Power cords, Interconnects, Fuses, Audio Spikes etc...

Oh and don't forget those very nice looking Tube Dampening Rings with the Teflon rollers and Titanium rings.

LOL you'll be broke before you knew what happened... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #7750 of 10423

And laying out on the ground from the GF/Wife after she finds out how much you spent. As she stands over you with a frying pan in the hand.

post #7751 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

The HD800 is high impedance @ 300 Ohms, ask MIKELAP about them in the Little Dot thread, he loves them out of the MK III & WA2. He also has a Conductor for his DAC / SS amp, so you have to scale your gear up proportionately with the Top Tier cans...

Power cords, Interconnects, Fuses, Audio Spikes etc...

Oh and don't forget those very nice looking Tube Dampening Rings with the Teflon rollers and Titanium rings.

LOL you'll be broke before you knew what happened... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Nope! no HD800 for me it cost to much for me to get what i want from that HP i've looked into that before the T1.I will be keeping my DT and Q then get a descent DAC for my BH CRACK and i'm set for now.speaking of DAC what do you guys suggest?I was looking at the Audio-gd NFB 15 (2014).

post #7752 of 10423
I have their ancient ancestor, the NFB 12.1. Highly recommended if you get no driver issues whatsoever.

E: Here's a link if you do! LINK It's long... wink.gif
Edited by MrEleventy - 7/1/14 at 8:09am
post #7753 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

I have their ancient ancestor, the NFB 12.1. Highly recommended if you get no driver issues whatsoever.

E: Here's a link if you do! LINK It's long... wink.gif

Woo nothing but problem with their firmware:eek: THANK YOU!:beerchug:

post #7754 of 10423
There's no issues if you use the optical/coaxial tho. A lot of ppl have resorted to buying a cheap USB to SPDIF converter and using the NFBXX that way. I like the older NFBs, pre 32 bit. I don't need it anyways. Not worth the hassle + additional drivers. I'd rather it be plug and play. smily_headphones1.gif
post #7755 of 10423
Too many devices/cables spoils the broth....literally...I don't want to choke on copper wires
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread