Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 513

post #7681 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

I think I can justify spending $70 for it because I've been living off the stock 6922 tubes ever since I got the T1. Besides I imagine 7308's spaciousness + ma900 = eargasm for days atsmile.gif
True... I've rolled more than $70 worth of tubes since I got my Aune. lol I've been eyeing the ma900 as my home phone. T90s is just too much of a can for home. It barely gets any head time with a newborn around. Maybe an hour or two a week tops and that's being generous. If I can sell it and get a pair of ma900 cheap......

49868625.jpg
Or... grab a pair of DT880 Pros and join the club again.
biggrin.gif
post #7682 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

True... I've rolled more than $70 worth of tubes since I got my Aune. lol I've been eyeing the ma900 as my home phone. T90s is just too much of a can for home. It barely gets any head time with a newborn around. Maybe an hour or two a week tops and that's being generous. If I can sell it and get a pair of ma900 cheap......

49868625.jpg
Or... grab a pair of DT880 Pros and join the club again.
biggrin.gif
Well congrats on the newborn! And the Ma900 has been discontinued unfortunately so prices have increased ever since. You can still get get them cheap if you look around on eBay. IMO they're great cans that compliment the dt880's very well. Wide soundstage, great imaging and smoothened out treble. Makes a great home can. I don't see why you need a DT880 if you already have a Beyer T1 (shi*, did I just say that? biggrin.gif)
post #7683 of 8378

Hi guys.  I have a pair of DT-880 600ohm that I bought back in late 2009 and they seem to have some issues.  Certain frequencies cause the left channel to rattle quite badly.  For example this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUi3w8i18m4 and I do not get this on other pairs of headphones.  Also, if I move the cable in a certain way I hear a quiet popping noise in the left channel.  Finally, I've always thought the left channel seemed too quiet, but this could just be my ears.  I've had these problems since I bought them but never bothered to try and fix it because they were so much better than what I had before anyway and I didn't have anything else to replace them with.  Has anyone encountered issues like this?  Is the best course of action to send them in to Beyerdynamic's repair dealer?

post #7684 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

Well congrats on the newborn! And the Ma900 has been discontinued unfortunately so prices have increased ever since. You can still get get them cheap if you look around on eBay. IMO they're great cans that compliment the dt880's very well. Wide soundstage, great imaging and smoothened out treble. Makes a great home can. I don't see why you need a DT880 if you already have a Beyer T1 (shi*, did I just say that? biggrin.gif)
The T1s are for work, where I do 6+ hrs a day. biggrin.gif Just want something... good for home. Probably should've kept my 880/600 instead of selling. frown.gif Oh well. Sold them for a decent price at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSpork View Post

Hi guys.  I have a pair of DT-880 600ohm that I bought back in late 2009 and they seem to have some issues.  Certain frequencies cause the left channel to rattle quite badly.  For example this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUi3w8i18m4 and I do not get this on other pairs of headphones.  Also, if I move the cable in a certain way I hear a quiet popping noise in the left channel.  Finally, I've always thought the left channel seemed too quiet, but this could just be my ears.  I've had these problems since I bought them but never bothered to try and fix it because they were so much better than what I had before anyway and I didn't have anything else to replace them with.  Has anyone encountered issues like this?  Is the best course of action to send them in to Beyerdynamic's repair dealer?
The rattle could be that a loose hair has wormed it's way into the driver. That's an easy fix.

When you wiggle the cable, are you wiggling the portion going into the cup? Is the jack end as stationary as possible?
Edited by MrEleventy - 6/26/14 at 9:44am
post #7685 of 8378
Having heard the alpha dog this weekend. I do not agree that they are better then the 880. My opinion. The alpha is odd sounding. I'd try it again, but it's been removed from my short list.
post #7686 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSpork View Post
 

Hi guys.  I have a pair of DT-880 600ohm that I bought back in late 2009 and they seem to have some issues.  Certain frequencies cause the left channel to rattle quite badly.  For example this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUi3w8i18m4 and I do not get this on other pairs of headphones.  Also, if I move the cable in a certain way I hear a quiet popping noise in the left channel.  Finally, I've always thought the left channel seemed too quiet, but this could just be my ears.  I've had these problems since I bought them but never bothered to try and fix it because they were so much better than what I had before anyway and I didn't have anything else to replace them with.  Has anyone encountered issues like this?  Is the best course of action to send them in to Beyerdynamic's repair dealer?

 

I bought a used DT880/600 and the left channel was rattleling badly with low frequency content, plus the right channel seemed to be lower in volume.

 

No problem: remove the outer pads, with a screw driver carefuly remove the inner plastic ring (there is a tiny slot on the top of the plastic ring), remove the thin black foam diafragm and you have access to the inner parts of the phone. There is a white paper diafragm over a plastic grid all around a black dense foam pad. If you just turn the phone upside down the innards will fall out of the cup and you will have access from behind. There you can see the actual driver.

 

Both my L and R channels had the driver a little out of the plastic socket where they should be, so I just pushed them back into their sockets until they clicked back into place. Assemble the phone back and voilá, perfect balanced and no rattling noises. :-)

 

It is easier to do all that than it is to describe in words. Just take care with the screw driver when opening the plastic ring so that it doesn't go in and make a hole on the white paper diafragm.

 

I hope this helps. Let me know if it solved your problem.


Edited by Matias - 6/26/14 at 11:12am
post #7687 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

When you wiggle the cable, are you wiggling the portion going into the cup? Is the jack end as stationary as possible?

 

Yes, it's the portion going into the cup, as in the thick part that gets wider as it reaches the cup.  Essentially the popping happens when the angle of the cable going into the headphones changes slightly.

 

Thanks for the advice Matias and MrEleventy, I will try taking them apart later.

post #7688 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSpork View Post

Yes, it's the portion going into the cup, as in the thick part that gets wider as it reaches the cup.  Essentially the popping happens when the angle of the cable going into the headphones changes slightly.

Thanks for the advice Matias and MrEleventy, I will try taking them apart later.
When you have it taken apart, try poking/moving the wire that's attached to the driver from the cable, GENTLY w/ a screw driver. If it cuts in and out, then maybe the solder joints are bad and just need a touch up. GL!
beerchug.gif
post #7689 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb View Post

Having heard the alpha dog this weekend. I do not agree that they are better then the 880. My opinion. The alpha is odd sounding. I'd try it again, but it's been removed from my short list.

That's too bad. I think the Alpha Dog is technically superior when it comes to sound. Mids, smooth treble, natural sounding, deep bass extension. Only thing it doesn't match is comfort and airiness. I think you should give them another listen I have both of them sitting here next to me.

 

It's funny though because I am praising this amazing headphone yet the Y-splitter where the L and R cables are soldered to broke and I am cutting out on my right channel unless I pinch the Y splitter. Fortunately, I ordered a $250 cable from Norne Audio that is already shipped and I will have in a few days. For now I will enjoy my DT880 for the great value of a headphone that it is. Eating my words for now because the AD honestly has a crappy stock cable. 

 

I really do think the DT880s are amazing headphones considering you thought the Alpha Dogs sounded weird. I think you should give them another listen. They just sound more effortless and natural sounding IMO than the DT880


Edited by wahsmoh - 6/26/14 at 11:04pm
post #7690 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

Your stating to get a little like Shenay... :tongue_smile:

 

jgreen16's "beyer Dog" is the only dog that matters in this thread... Next we'll have some HE-4 recitation...

:D

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post
 

I approve this message. I have been away from the DT880 thread for awhile, I've been obsessed with my Alpha Dogs. Anyone who really enjoys the DT880 sound signature would truly love the sound signature of the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog. 

 

Here's a mini review/comparison:

 

They aren't quite as "airy" as the DT880 but they are very close for a pair of closed back headphones. Also the shape of soundstage is more of an ellipse and less circular than the DT880. But don't let those two things detract you, just about everything else technically speaking is much better on the Alpha Dog. A sense of reality hits when you hear female vocals for the first time on the Alpha Dogs. The mild treble peak is eliminated and you will notice much smoother non-fatiguing treble. Also when it comes to bass the DT880 is no match. For bass-heavy hip hop tracks the Alpha Dogs are a major step up from the DT880. The DT880's bass has plenty of impact but lacks the earthquake rumble and extension the closed back Alpha Dogs have. 

 

I could go on and on about how awesome these headphones are and the sense of "depth" that is so convincing for a closed back pair of headphones you can literally get a sense of the size of the room that the recording took place in.

 

I purchased these this year with my income tax return :smile: only way a college kid could afford them

It seems my seeds have sporuted muhahah 

 

still for some one like me who considers the DT 880 to be Mid Fi Refrance, any review comparing to the DT 880 and recommending Headphone X as a DT 880 upgrade is imo useful to this thread. For the money the DT 880 is GLORIOUS :3 but well that bug always seems to get us 

post #7691 of 8378
I just loved the Audeze LCD-XC. A lot better then my DT880/600, different league entirely. Perfect tonal balance, fantastic resolution, nothing missing or in excess IMO. Plus it is low impedance and high sensitivity so should work great straight out of a high end DAP such as A&K or Calyx M. Very comfortable despite the weight.
post #7692 of 8378
Without a doubt... I enjoyed the LCD-3's over the DT880's as well.

Comparisons like that are like enjoying driving the Bentley over the Cadillac, it goes without saying.
post #7693 of 8378

Couldn't help myself but, I enjoy the SR009 much much more than the DT880 (and the LCD3, and so forth). But you have to factor in price. Then you see why the DT880 is such an amazing hp.

post #7694 of 8378

I have the Sony STR-K660P Receiver. I was wondering if it could power DT 880 Pros decently.

 

Otherwise, I'll just get a headset and be done with it.

post #7695 of 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matias View Post

I just loved the Audeze LCD-XC. A lot better then my DT880/600, different league entirely. Perfect tonal balance, fantastic resolution, nothing missing or in excess IMO. Plus it is low impedance and high sensitivity so should work great straight out of a high end DAP such as A&K or Calyx M. Very comfortable despite the weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Without a doubt... I enjoyed the LCD-3's over the DT880's as well.

Comparisons like that are like enjoying driving the Bentley over the Cadillac, it goes without saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojay View Post

Couldn't help myself but, I enjoy the SR009 much much more than the DT880 (and the LCD3, and so forth). But you have to factor in price. Then you see why the DT880 is such an amazing hp.

One day I'm going to get a Sennheiser Orpheus and I'll be laughing at all of you and your cheap little rigs biggrin.gif

But until then I'm stuck with the dt880's lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread