or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 502

post #7516 of 10523
Maybe if people actually put the Pro's on their heads instead of complaining about the clamp pressure eventually it will clamp less biggrin.gif

But then again, this is Head-Fi. People love to complain here..xD
post #7517 of 10523

Hi folks. Has anyone tried the Bravo Audio tube amplifiers with their DT880s? They are available from PartsExpress (https://www.parts-express.com/brand/bravo-audio/516). They have a few models so if anyone thinks ones is better than the other, please let me know.

I have the 32 ohm version and wanted to try out a tube amp for the heck of it. they sound like razor blades sometimes so I am looking for a therapy.

Cheers    

post #7518 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshp View Post
 

Hi folks. Has anyone tried the Bravo Audio tube amplifiers with their DT880s? They are available from PartsExpress (https://www.parts-express.com/brand/bravo-audio/516). They have a few models so if anyone thinks ones is better than the other, please let me know.

I have the 32 ohm version and wanted to try out a tube amp for the heck of it. they sound like razor blades sometimes so I am looking for a therapy.

Cheers    

truthfully, skip the bravo tubes and get a Schiit Vali. I tried two of those in expensive hybrids, and at the end of the day the Vali was MUCH better sounding for about teh same price. In addition with a 250 or 600 ohm Beyer, the Vali doesn't have any of the mirophonic issues, even better if you don't like it you can send it back to Schiit for a refund [minus a re stocking fee I think]

 

either way, take it from me, the Schiit Vali sounds VERY nice with the dt 880, much better to my ears then the two hybrid tubes I had before it, one of which was a Bravo Tube

post #7519 of 10523
Another amplifier to consider would be the Little Dot I+, it has an amazing sound with all kinds of inexpensive tubes you can roll.
post #7520 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Another amplifier to consider would be the Little Dot I+, it has an amazing sound with all kinds of inexpensive tubes you can roll.

personally I wish I could heard the Little dot 1+ sadly when I was looking to purchase one... I found an hm801 that... moved my funds in another direction

 

how ever the real point here is for around $100, there are MUCH better Hybrid Tubes than the Bravos, the Little Dot 1+ and schiit Vali are two very good alternitives in the same price bracket as the Bravos

post #7521 of 10523

+1 for LD 1+ specially with 6HM5, 6SN7 and 6AS7 tube.:biggrin:

post #7522 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshp View Post

Hi folks. Has anyone tried the Bravo Audio tube amplifiers with their DT880s? They are available from PartsExpress (https://www.parts-express.com/brand/bravo-audio/516). They have a few models so if anyone thinks ones is better than the other, please let me know.
I have the 32 ohm version and wanted to try out a tube amp for the heck of it. they sound like razor blades sometimes so I am looking for a therapy.
Cheers    

Have you considered the HD800's? smily_headphones1.gif

Also, you could try dropping 8kHz by about 5dB with an equalizer.
post #7523 of 10523
Would tube amps be a good idea for the 32 ohm version? You might end up with a damping factor of >1.
post #7524 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlethe View Post

Would tube amps be a good idea for the 32 ohm version? You might end up with a damping factor of >1.
Only the hybrids with a tube / opamp or mosfet output, they are designed for low Z headphones.

The output transformer tube amps are as well but you are in a whole other price range then... The big output iron has a steep cost to it. smily_headphones1.gif
post #7525 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


Only the hybrids with a tube / opamp or mosfet output, they are designed for low Z headphones.

The output transformer tube amps are as well but you are in a whole other price range then... The big output iron has a steep cost to it. smily_headphones1.gif

 

Yeah... Might as well get some HD800's. ;)

post #7526 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlethe View Post

Yeah... Might as well get some HD800's. wink.gif
One day I'll have to hear me a pair of those... wink.gif
post #7527 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


One day I'll have to hear me a pair of those... wink.gif

 

I recommend selling everything but the FiiO E17/E09K and getting a used pair. :P

post #7528 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlethe View Post

I recommend selling everything but the FiiO E17/E09K and getting a used pair. :P
Well the Little Dot has to stay, it meshes quite well with Senn's considering the number of HD800 users in the tube rolling group. The E17/E09K is only used as a DAC/LineStage for the tubes so actually it could go... But then I would need an Audio-gd DAC, the X3's DAC works quite well and it pushes 2V on the Line Out but then I would need a new portable...

Damn this hobby! biggrin.gif
post #7529 of 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Well the Little Dot has to stay, it meshes quite well with Senn's considering the number of HD800 users in the tube rolling group. The E17/E09K is only used as a DAC/LineStage for the tubes so actually it could go... But then I would need an Audio-gd DAC, the X3's DAC works quite well and it pushes 2V on the Line Out but then I would need a new portable...

Damn this hobby! biggrin.gif

Hd800 doesn't have the DT880 treble spike of death, and it's arguably a little on the warm side of neutral. You don't need tubes for it. :P
post #7530 of 10523
I don't use the Little Dot to tame the treble, I enjoy the musicality of tubes, I find them very euphonic.

There will be a Woo or Eddie Current amplifier in my future.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread