or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 488

post #7306 of 10426

I bought the DT 880 Premium 600 two days ago for $249 now they're $349.  I'm glad I didn't wait another day or two.

 

They sound pretty good so far.  I currently have them plugged into a Vali with an iPhone playing ALAC.  I have to crank the Vali pretty good, but it seems loud enough.

 

I'm already noticing stuff I don't think I've noticed.

post #7307 of 10426

Vali should be plenty powerful for the DT880s. Doesn't that amp supply like 300mW @ 600 ohms? The power handling of the DT880s is 100mW so you should be able to reach some ear bleeding levels.

post #7308 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilasunriser View Post
 

Vali should be plenty powerful for the DT880s. Doesn't that amp supply like 300mW @ 600 ohms? The power handling of the DT880s is 100mW so you should be able to reach some ear bleeding levels.

huh?

 

Yeah, it's lots louder using the Modi with my Mac Mini.  Half way up is plenty loud.

post #7309 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilasunriser View Post
 

Vali should be plenty powerful for the DT880s. Doesn't that amp supply like 300mW @ 600 ohms? The power handling of the DT880s is 100mW so you should be able to reach some ear bleeding levels.

 

Vali can only reach 115mW at 600 Ohm.

 

Lyr is the one that can reach 300mW at 600 Ohm. (330mW from website)

 

But the impedance of the DT880 600 Ohm is... not at 600 Ohm all the time. It can shoot up to 700 Ohm.

 

So you would have to almost max out the volume knob in some cases. And then the other issue of power supply stability may arise since the Vali may clip out stuffs at max volume due to the variance in impedance of the DT880 600. That's why it's good to have some headroom.

 

People seriously underestimate how much amplification one would need for the 600 Ohm Beyers in my opinions.

post #7310 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

 

 

People seriously underestimate how much amplification one would need for the 600 Ohm Beyers in my opinions.

My Grado SR 80I's sound pretty good with the Vali.  The DT 880 600 Ohm don't sound as good as I hoped.  Maybe the amp doesn't match well?  The bass isn't there like the Grado's and they highs are almost too much.  I hope burn in helps and maybe I should plan another amp to properly run them to their potential?

 

Maybe I'm used to less fidelity?  

 

<edit again> Lower volume seems better.  I'll give them several hours before I complain too much, but right now, they are bright.


Edited by gibby - 5/7/14 at 5:35pm
post #7311 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

 

 

People seriously underestimate how much amplification one would need for the 600 Ohm Beyers in my opinions.

Maybe they need a $500+ amp to sound good, Bill-P. :tongue_smile:

post #7312 of 10426
Nah, just around $300. (Darkvoice 336 biggrin.gif)
post #7313 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P View Post

Vali can only reach 115mW at 600 Ohm.

Lyr is the one that can reach 300mW at 600 Ohm. (330mW from website)

But the impedance of the DT880 600 Ohm is... not at 600 Ohm all the time. It can shoot up to 700 Ohm.

So you would have to almost max out the volume knob in some cases. And then the other issue of power supply stability may arise since the Vali may clip out stuffs at max volume due to the variance in impedance of the DT880 600. That's why it's good to have some headroom.

People seriously underestimate how much amplification one would need for the 600 Ohm Beyers in my opinions.
But actually the DT880 @600 Ohms only need 0.40mW to reach 90dB, so vali would do pretty well.

--edit: dB value corrected.
Edited by rodweb - 5/7/14 at 7:07pm
post #7314 of 10426
How does the DT880s work with the Bottlehead Crack? What would I use as a DAC? The ODAC, which is what I have now? The price is right for a tube amp.
post #7315 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by r010159 View Post

How does the DT880s work with the Bottlehead Crack? What would I use as a DAC? The ODAC, which is what I have now? The price is right for a tube amp.

That's what I'm using.

 

ODAC, Crack, and the DT880s.

 

They're a good combo. Get some inexpensive mellow tubes and you're in business.

post #7316 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSICCURE View Post
 

I had the 880 pro on my Amazon wishlist for thee months, waiting for the price to go below 199.  To my dismay, recently they crept up to 275.  To my luck, I got a refurbished pair at 179$ that arrived today.  Love the coiled cable and familiar Beyer comfort.  I was concerned about the 250 ohm on my E17/E09k.  I thought for sure I'd be on high gain.  Low gain drives the 880 just fine with room to spare on the volume pot.


The DT880 Pro's and the E17/E09K is a nice little combo, I use the line out of the E09K to drive the Little Dot.

post #7317 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post


But actually the DT880 @600 Ohms only need 0.40mW to reach 120dB, so vali would do pretty well.


Then for the HiFiMan HE-6 @ 50Ω with an 83.5dB/1mW what kind of power would be required to have them produce 120dB?

post #7318 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post


Then for the HiFiMan HE-6 @ 50Ω with an 83.5dB/1mW what kind of power would be required to have them produce 120dB?
Oh sorry, it was supposed to be 0.40mW to reach 90dB... For 120dB it would be 0.40W.

The HE-6 @43 Ohms would need 20W to reach 120dB or 20mW to reach 90dB.
post #7319 of 10426
So each jump in dB is quite a big jump in power, which is probably why they recommend a 5W per channel amp for the HE-6's.
post #7320 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post


One thing has really nothing to with the other.

First case you're just changing the multiplier of by how much you want to amplify.
Second case you're changing an important physical part of the circuit.

Let's say you have two gain level:
Level 1: +6dB
Level 2: +12dB

If you're listening @80dB using the level 1, then when you switch to level 2 and lower the volume to equals the previous @80dB, sound should be EXACTLY the same. If it's not the same, the circuit was implemented wrong, simple as that.
But if you don't match both levels when comparing, of course level 2 will seems "better", because more volume will increase your perception of details and stuff.

 

Assume the amp has constant open loop gain at the two gain settings (which are probably closed loop gain settings).

This is a simple tube amp, it may have only one voltage gain stage, or maybe two or three, so it probably has low open loop gain, and hence low feedback.

 

Level 1:   +6 dB of gain      more feedback, hence less distortion and wider high f bandwidth

 

Level 2:  +12 dB of gain     less feedback, hence more distortion, and less high f bandwidth.

 

This could be why the two gain settings sound different.

 

Since I don't have schematic, I'm just guessing.

 

If it was an Op Amp based headphone amp and had a tremendous amount of Open Loop gain, then I would say you are more likely to be correct.  But even a practical Op Amp doesn't have infinite Open Loop Gain and Infinite bandwidth. So it won't have infinite feedback, and therefore, always has some residual distortion.

 

As for the tubes, if you sub one 5654 for another they should sound the same, because they are both 5654 tubes.......right?  Definitely maybe.

And if they ain't, what's the difference: gain parameters and parasitic capacitance, inductance.   Louder or softer, more bandwidth or less bandwidth.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread