or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 479

post #7171 of 10430

H20 Fidelity,

 

If you're around, how's the shoot-out with the HD600 is going?

post #7172 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post
 

H20 Fidelity,

 

If you're around, how's the shoot-out with the HD600 is going?


Good timing, I just checked in to say how much I'm enjoying DT880 (250ohm)

To be honest guys, while I enjoy HD600 I prefer DT880 by quite a margin. I think the Sennheiser has slightly tighter bass and better treble detail overall and prefer it's mid-bass quantity however, it's a little too relaxed for my liking, those who prefer a laid back presentation might take HD600. For me DT880 while smooth is more involving and has that heft or chesty detail in the lower mids that makes them almost creamy to the ear and non fatiguing. Having had both headphones right beside me for the good part of a week DT880 gets more listening time.

My original plan was demo HD600 to assess whether I'd purchase one, however the DT880 just came from no-where and was an impulse purchase from the boards for a good price,  ($150 Aud shipped), my plan of attack being if the Beyers worked out I'd save some of the $329 Aud on HD600 (the cheapest) I can get them imported to Australia from my searches.

The final outcome is my instincts paid off and the HD600 will go back to their owner while the Beyers continue to sing, actually sing for the last 3 hours now with almost no fatigue on my ears. I do however want to focus on a better amp for them and by all means maybe the HD600 could of shone better than Aune T1 dac/amp or feed from Aunes line out to JDS C421, though those are the breaks for now.

I have some new tubes coming for the Aune this week such as the Golden Lion 6922/E88CC, I'll give the HD600 another try, though my mind is pretty set, Beyers won the hook in my stable.
 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 4/30/14 at 3:22am
post #7173 of 10430

I own the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. My next headphones are going to be the DT880 Pro 250 ohm, or the AKG K612 Pro. I am just not decided on which one yet.

post #7174 of 10430

Been looking into the DT880's 250ohm (£200 on Amazon) for a headphone for mixing. How does it compare to the AKG K702 (new headband £169)?

 

Been getting mixed reviews all around the internet and there is not a shop where I can try them both around where I live. I've read issues about the cables and left side issues on the DT880, which is why I am considering the K702 that has a similar neutral sound, at a lower price.


Edited by Gavern - 4/30/14 at 2:06am
post #7175 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavern View Post
 

Been looking into the DT880's 250ohm (£200 on Amazon) for a headphone for mixing. How does it compare to the AKG K702 (new headband £169)? Been getting mixed reviews all around the internet and there is not a shop where I can try them both around where I live. I've read issues about the cables and left side issues on the DT880, which is why I am considering the K702 that has a similar neutral sound, at a lower price.

 

That's a good price for the K702!

 

Assuming they are both sold directly from Amazon, you could get them both and return the one you like the least.

 

Amazon give you a no-questions-asked 30 day return period (assuming you don't damage the headphones!)

post #7176 of 10430

Damn, I just noticed that the updated K702 has the improved headband. Now I can add that to my list for deciding between the DT880 Pro, K612 Pro, and K702. On a side note, I did have a 30 minute session with the Q701 at a friend's house. It is a great sounding headphone, but the highs were just a tad too bright for me. The detail and soundstage though was far superior to my DT 770 Pro 250 ohm. From my research, it is said that the K612 Pro also has a very neutral sound, but with slightly less pronounced highs than the Q701, K701, and K702. I keep thinking that the K612 Pro may be the neutral headphone for me to get in the 170-200 dollar range. Ahhh, decisions. :P

post #7177 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 

I owned the 650 for 3 years before switching to the 880, never listen to anything but classical/orchestral, and have no doubt whatsoever as to which gives me the most convincing concert hall experience--at any level. I never had that sense of real instruments playing in a real acoustic environment with the 650 that I get with the 880.


What is your setup (source, amp...). As i previously stated, i don't really like how this headphone performs with classical. Or maybe i just don't like classical :D

post #7178 of 10430
Do the DT880s sound good with a JDS labs objective o2? This setup will be mainly for classical.
Edited by MRodriguez - 4/30/14 at 3:37am
post #7179 of 10430
Of course, it's the O2, it works well with all dynamics. Your DT880 will sound like DT880s.
post #7180 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilasunriser View Post

Of course, it's the O2, it works well with all dynamics. Your DT880 will sound like DT880s.
OK thanks I was just wondering, because I got the JDS labs o2 for sale and I was hoping to get the DT880s as well. They will be a nice upgrade from my unamped Superlux EVO681s.
post #7181 of 10430
Yup, I have the O2+ODAC and 600 Ohm DT880s. Sounds just fine and it's plenty powerful. smily_headphones1.gif
post #7182 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post
 

 

That's a good price for the K702!

 

Assuming they are both sold directly from Amazon, you could get them both and return the one you like the least.

 

Amazon give you a no-questions-asked 30 day return period (assuming you don't damage the headphones!)

 

Yeah, have you compared the K702 with DT880? The only reason stopping me from getting the DT880 is the cable, wiring issues and price  I've never done any returns before, don't really want or know how it works :dt880smile: 

post #7183 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BbOO View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 

I owned the 650 for 3 years before switching to the 880, never listen to anything but classical/orchestral, and have no doubt whatsoever as to which gives me the most convincing concert hall experience--at any level. I never had that sense of real instruments playing in a real acoustic environment with the 650 that I get with the 880.


What is your setup (source, amp...). As i previously stated, i don't really like how this headphone performs with classical. Or maybe i just don't like classical :D

 

Could indeed be the case. If there's one genre the 880 is general agreed to excell in, it's classical.

post #7184 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavern View Post
 

 

Yeah, have you compared the K702 with DT880? The only reason stopping me from getting the DT880 is the cable, wiring issues and price  I've never done any returns before, don't really want or know how it works :dt880smile: 


I've not compared them directly, I'm afraid.

 

From all the comparisons I've read I'd expect it to have a wider soundstage, slighty less bass presence and be more forward in the upper-mids. 

 

The only issue I have with the DT880 cable is that it's a little bit stiff and not replaceable. What are the wiring issues you're referring to?

 

Oh, and Amazon UK returns are great! Put them back in the original shipping box, print out and stick the freepost shipping label on the front and drop off at the post office! You get a refund more or less instantly. Use and abuse I say :D

post #7185 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post
 


I've not compared them directly, I'm afraid.

 

From all the comparisons I've read I'd expect it to have a wider soundstage, slighty less bass presence and be more forward in the upper-mids. 

 

The only issue I have with the DT880 cable is that it's a little bit stiff and not replaceable. What are the wiring issues you're referring to?

 

Oh, and Amazon UK returns are great! Put them back in the original shipping box, print out and stick the freepost shipping label on the front and drop off at the post office! You get a refund more or less instantly. Use and abuse I say :D

 

Im referring to this review (http://www.keithstead.com/and_more/reviews/beyer_dt880_pro.html). It seems to be a common quality control problem, googling it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread