or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 450

post #6736 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

 

All of this represents a ridiculous amount of time, effort, and expense to spend on what most people consider a headphone past its prime...

 

I don't agree there.  The DT880 is still, in 2014, one of the best headphones in its price range, which happens to be a price that is as high as many people are willing to pay for headphones.  So if one variety of DT880 is the "best", it's worth knowing which one.  On the other hand, if the one which tends to sell for less is just as great sounding and a better match for the amps that most folks are using, that's worth knowing too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

 

2- People continue to promote the myth that the 600 ohm version is objectively superior in some way despite no real evidence to support that and plenty of evidence to refute it

 

That is the bottom line IMO.

post #6737 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


The 600 Ohm will have the most windings and the thinnest wire in it's windings.
The 32 Ohm will have the least amount of windings and the thickest wire in it's windings.

Somewhere in this massive thread someone referenced an article by Beyer,
'Beyer claims the 600 Ohm diaphragm is the lightest and the most responsive.

You could argue that the 600 Ohm version is best for those who want to use their DT880s with OTL tube amps,
Those who want to use their DT880 with an iPod should get the 32 Ohm version.

Which prolly why I not happy with my DT880 premium 600 any more because I don't have them ran thru a  OTL Tube amp, beside them not doing it for me any more. Which why I also gonna move on to the T90, which I been reading will. Since I refused to add a tube amp to the chain and in up still not liking it. I def not about to move from my Audio-GD NFB15.32 and I thought about a little dot MK3 but I much rather use what I have instead.

post #6738 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon Peki View Post
 

 

I don't agree there. 

 

Neither do I, strictly speaking. I think the DT880 is an excellent value and is too often passed over. That's just the problem--people sometimes get so caught up with the newest shinies that they get the impression that nothing made before 2009 is worth anything, which couldn't be further from the truth. Us proud DT880 owners know what we've got, but as is the case with any group of enthusiastic owners, we represent a minority of the hobby in general.

 

It's that greater majority I'm referring to when I say that few people would really be interested in putting so much effort into testing an old former flagship. None of us here (to my knowledge) has a testing rig or the connections to assemble a large enough sample of DT880s, and one person that comes to mind who actually could pull this off, Tyll Hertsens, has already done a surprising amount of good work with the DT880. His time is going to be divided by a lot of more pressing projects, though, since it's his job to pretty much cover everything, and his readers (which should be all of us) are likely going to want to hear about the newest shiny headphones before revisiting the past.

post #6739 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post
 

Which prolly why I not happy with my DT880 premium 600 any more because I don't have them ran thru a  OTL Tube amp, beside them not doing it for me any more. Which why I also gonna move on to the T90, which I been reading will. Since I refused to add a tube amp to the chain and in up still not liking it. I def not about to move from my Audio-GD NFB15.32 and I thought about a little dot MK3 but I much rather use what I have instead.


A bit of warning about the T90, it is a lot brighter than the DT 880 or DT 990 for that matter.

post #6740 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


A bit of warning about the T90, it is a lot brighter than the DT 880 or DT 990 for that matter.

 

Hi!

 

I have my DT880 for more than a year now and got my T90 a week ago. I don't find it "brighter" per se. It's more detailed and sparkly but not necessary brighter in general. It also has better bass than my DT880. It's a much better headphone than the DT880 (which is already great).

 

Did you test the T90 with your Hifiman ef2a? Because this amp is known to be a bit on the bright side. Maybe not the ideal pairing for the T90.

 

Cheers,

K


Edited by Koolpep - 3/11/14 at 6:50am
post #6741 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


A bit of warning about the T90, it is a lot brighter than the DT 880 or DT 990 for that matter.
Agreed on the 880s, but I disagree on the 990s. I've had the 990/600ohms and I couldn't deal with the brightness/sibilance. I have an album that I couldn't play at all with the 990s, there were treble spikes everytime an 's' gets pronounced but it sounds beautiful on my 880s and T90s. I kept the 990s around for a little while longer for my fun playlist but decided in the end that the M-80s did it just as well and at a lower cost so I sold the 990s. The bass were ridiculous on them that's for sure, but didn't justify the $200 I spent on them. I find the T90 slots right in between the 880s and 990s in bass and treble. It does benefit from a neutral/warmish chain, like the DTxx0 line.

E: Just finished the jack mod on my DT770 Pros. I kept it single entry but internally, it's balanced (Just for you Shenay) Just got to finish up on the cable SE ftw. biggrin.gif
ZUmfZ1U.jpg
4 pin mini-xlrs are a PITA to work with. angry_face.gif
Edited by MrEleventy - 3/11/14 at 7:27am
post #6742 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

ZUmfZ1U.jpg
4 pin mini-xlrs are a PITA to work with. angry_face.gif

 

I was wondering how those TINY xlr sockets were with the nut on the outside as it will not fit on the inside.

Upon second look, is that the REAN RT4MPR or did you just screw the nut all the way out to add space?

 

Either way, Nice job!

post #6743 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

I was wondering how those TINY xlr sockets were with the nut on the outside as it will not fit on the inside.
Upon second look, is that the REAN RT4MPR or did you just screw the nut all the way out to add space?

Either way, Nice job!
Thanks. biggrin.gif
Nah, it's a redco. It's just screwed out to make up some space. I still need to epoxy or JB Weld and paint it black. Or maybe even covering the whole thing with black sugru so it looks like it was manu'd like that. I just scored a pair of DT770s Prem. Thinking about doing the same to all my DTs. lol
Edited by MrEleventy - 3/11/14 at 10:13am
post #6744 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post

Hi!

I have my DT880 for more than a year now and got my T90 a week ago. I don't find it "brighter" per se. It's more detailed and sparkly but not necessary brighter in general. It also has better bass than my DT880. It's a much better headphone than the DT880 (which is already great).

Did you test the T90 with your Hifiman ef2a? Because this amp is known to be a bit on the bright side. Maybe not the ideal pairing for the T90.

Cheers,
K

I personally found it quite a bit brighter, not harsh but bright, it is a better and more refined headphone I just found it to be the brightest Beyer I've ever heard.

No I heard it on the WA6 and in terms of brightness I just found it brighter than the DT 880 and DT 990. The EF2A is bright with stock tubes, but getting different tubes darkens the sound a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

Agreed on the 880s, but I disagree on the 990s. I've had the 990/600ohms and I couldn't deal with the brightness/sibilance. I have an album that I couldn't play at all with the 990s, there were treble spikes everytime an 's' gets pronounced but it sounds beautiful on my 880s and T90s. I kept the 990s around for a little while longer for my fun playlist but decided in the end that the M-80s did it just as well and at a lower cost so I sold the 990s. The bass were ridiculous on them that's for sure, but didn't justify the $200 I spent on them. I find the T90 slots right in between the 880s and 990s in bass and treble. It does benefit from a neutral/warmish chain, like the DTxx0 line.

E: Just finished the jack mod on my DT770 Pros. I kept it single entry but internally, it's balanced (Just for you Shenay) Just got to finish up on the cable SE ftw. biggrin.gif
ZUmfZ1U.jpg
4 pin mini-xlrs are a PITA to work with. angry_face.gif

I found the DT 990/600 ohm is more sibilant/harsh but I found the to be T90 a good amount brighter.
post #6745 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


I personally found it quite a bit brighter, not harsh but bright, it is a better and more refined headphone I just found it to be the brightest Beyer I've ever heard.

No I heard it on the WA6 and in terms of brightness I just found it brighter than the DT 880 and DT 990. The EF2A is bright with stock tubes, but getting different tubes darkens the sound a bit.
I found the DT 990/600 ohm is more sibilant/harsh but I found the to be T90 a good amount brighter.

 

Weird, not my experience with my T90 at all. So far, am deeply in love with the T90. So much, that I am thinking of shrinking my arsenal and actually selling a few headphones in my collection....

post #6746 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
 

 

Weird, not my experience with my T90 at all. So far, am deeply in love with the T90. So much, that I am thinking of shrinking my arsenal and actually selling a few headphones in my collection....


I just found it really bright some reason, I did enjoy the headphone, but it's the type of headphone that would be a complimentary headphone for me because I can't handle that much treble for that long. I've always had very moody ears when it comes to treble though, sometimes I love brightness other times I hate it. I'm glad you are happy with the headphone.

post #6747 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post

Which prolly why I not happy with my DT880 premium 600 any more because I don't have them ran thru a  OTL Tube amp, beside them not doing it for me any more. Which why I also gonna move on to the T90, which I been reading will. Since I refused to add a tube amp to the chain and in up still not liking it. I def not about to move from my Audio-GD NFB15.32 and I thought about a little dot MK3 but I much rather use what I have instead.

At 150 mW @600 Ohms the NFB15.32 has enough power th drive the 600 Ohm DT880s.
post #6748 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


At 150 mW @600 Ohms the NFB15.32 has enough power th drive the 600 Ohm DT880s.

 

I'm also running my 600's from a 15.32 and I really like them, and get no indication that there's any lack of power. If somebody doesn't like that setup, it's because they don't like the Beyers, not that that the setup is insufficient. 

post #6749 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post
 

 

I'm also running my 600's from a 15.32 and I really like them, and get no indication that there's any lack of power. If somebody doesn't like that setup, it's because they don't like the Beyers, not that that the setup is insufficient. 


That or they don't like the synergy of the Beyer and the 15.32.

post #6750 of 10430
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post
 

 

I'm also running my 600's from a 15.32 and I really like them, and get no indication that there's any lack of power. If somebody doesn't like that setup, it's because they don't like the Beyers, not that that the setup is insufficient. 

 

I must confess that I was thinking the same thing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread