or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 408

post #6106 of 10426

For me the bass is good, but then I'm running my DT880 premiums 600 thru a NFB15.32 on the default filter settings.

post #6107 of 10426

I have to admit the somewhat off topic political issue amuses me.  Boomer's are not WWII.  WWII is our parents, and yes they are probably anti pot.  However they are not that large of a voting block any more.  As for boomer's, we grew up in the 60's and 70's.  Our generation is not likely all that anti legalization.  In fact the legalization movement started with our generation.

 

Just keeping in perspective for you young un's    

post #6108 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post
 

Yes, that's what I'm looking for, I'm just afraid the bass on DT880 might be too light (neutral).

I really enjoy the bass honestly! I took my dt 880 to college today, our first day back and I wanted a way to listen to both the BORING rules we go over at the begining of each semster and my music, that said I let a fellow [with a pair of beats] have a listen to my dt 880, he was impressed with the bass and the sound quality! 

 

On another note... this lovely gentlemen... LITERALLY cranked my Pb1 to MAX volume with my dt 880s q.q, I was using the 880 balanced with the pb1, and it was set on high gain >.> 

 

Now the pb1 is rated at 1.4mW into 32 ohms... so I would assume that into a 600 ohm load it shouldn't be pushing any more than 100-120 ish mW... but the DT 880 maxium power is rated at about 120mW q.Q' and this kid drove EVER BIT OF POWER into my dt 880 as he possibly could... they don't sound... DAMAGED, but I have no way of knowing if he over drove them, and if he did [it was for about a minuete or so] I hope it didn't dmg anything >.>

 

how ever that said, he enjoyed the bass presentation of the dt 880, and again this was a kid who also owned a pair of Beats by Dre [so you know what kind of bass he's used to] 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
 

I have to admit the somewhat off topic political issue amuses me.  Boomer's are not WWII.  WWII is our parents, and yes they are probably anti pot.  However they are not that large of a voting block any more.  As for boomer's, we grew up in the 60's and 70's.  Our generation is not likely all that anti legalization.  In fact the legalization movement started with our generation.

 

Just keeping in perspective for you young un's    

Strange way to introduce the topic, but... head fi isn't the place for politics... we ought to have a thread for it, and I'd LOVE to have political discussion here :D how ever admins seems to disagree :/ that said how ever...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I say they ought to legalize it, tax it, and release all these convicted "drug dealers" or buisness savy pot heads out of the prision system :/ 
 
and as for the voting thing... seriously I don't even smoke pot and I'm for the legaliaztion of it, heck we all know at least 2 or 3 ppl who buy it or grow it... not to justify via the band wagon but... a large portion of the population wants and uses it, keeping it illegal just creates unessicary tention on society and our prison system, and robes the American people of a potentially huge new job market, as well a big source of income for the states and government. 
post #6109 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

I really enjoy the bass honestly! I took my dt 880 to college today, our first day back and I wanted a way to listen to both the BORING rules we go over at the begining of each semster and my music, that said I let a fellow [with a pair of beats] have a listen to my dt 880, he was impressed with the bass and the sound quality! 

 

On another note... this lovely gentlemen... LITERALLY cranked my Pb1 to MAX volume with my dt 880s q.q, I was using the 880 balanced with the pb1, and it was set on high gain >.> 

 

Now the pb1 is rated at 1.4mW into 32 ohms... so I would assume that into a 600 ohm load it shouldn't be pushing any more than 100-120 ish mW... but the DT 880 maxium power is rated at about 120mW q.Q' and this kid drove EVER BIT OF POWER into my dt 880 as he possibly could... they don't sound... DAMAGED, but I have no way of knowing if he over drove them, and if he did [it was for about a minuete or so] I hope it didn't dmg anything >.>

 

how ever that said, he enjoyed the bass presentation of the dt 880, and again this was a kid who also owned a pair of Beats by Dre [so you know what kind of bass he's used to] 

 

Strange way to introduce the topic, but... head fi isn't the place for politics... we ought to have a thread for it, and I'd LOVE to have political discussion here biggrin.gif how ever admins seems to disagree :/ that said how ever...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I say they ought to legalize it, tax it, and release all these convicted "drug dealers" or buisness savy pot heads out of the prision system :/ 
 
and as for the voting thing... seriously I don't even smoke pot and I'm for the legaliaztion of it, heck we all know at least 2 or 3 ppl who buy it or grow it... not to justify via the band wagon but... a large portion of the population wants and uses it, keeping it illegal just creates unessicary tention on society and our prison system, and robes the American people of a potentially huge new job market, as well a big source of income for the states and government. 

 



Apparently there used to be a political forum somewhere on Head Fi, but the moderators killed it because people would not behave.

Same reason why DBT and ABX testing discussion is banned outside the Science Forum. People just would not behave!
post #6110 of 10426

I understand your point, and will refrain in the future,  But to be honest, I did not introduce the topic.  Only responding

post #6111 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post
 

Yes, that's what I'm looking for, I'm just afraid the bass on DT880 might be too light (neutral).

 

It probably will be, particularly if you'll be switching back and forth between it and the VSonic. However if you use the DT880's exclusively you'll quickly get used to the neutrality. If you're anything like me, neutrality will become your desired signature and the VSonics will start to sound overly emphasized in the bass. But some people never get over the desire for emphasized bass. Its all subjective. Give the 880s a try if you can and see how you like them. If you get them you'll probably need to give it a week or two before you've gotten used to the different sound signature and can say whether they're acceptable for you. One thing I'll say, not a lot of people hear the DT880 and don't like it afterward but when they do its usually because they are used to or prefer a warmer signature.

post #6112 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post
 

 

It probably will be, particularly if you'll be switching back and forth between it and the VSonic. However if you use the DT880's exclusively you'll quickly get used to the neutrality. If you're anything like me, neutrality will become your desired signature and the VSonics will start to sound overly emphasized in the bass. But some people never get over the desire for emphasized bass. Its all subjective. Give the 880s a try if you can and see how you like them. If you get them you'll probably need to give it a week or two before you've gotten used to the different sound signature and can say whether they're acceptable for you. One thing I'll say, not a lot of people hear the DT880 and don't like it afterward but when they do its usually because they are used to or prefer a warmer signature.

I do like a neutral sound, the VSonic have only a touch more bass than neutral (using my R-50 as reference), but that makes me enjoy them much more...

 

It seems like the only way I'll know if they have enough bass for me is really trying them.. too bad there's no store arround here where I can try them for free! 

 

I'm trying to decide between them (plus Aune T1) and the HE-400...

post #6113 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodweb View Post

I do like a neutral sound, the VSonic have only a touch more bass than neutral (using my R-50 as reference), but that makes me enjoy them much more...

It seems like the only way I'll know if they have enough bass for me is really trying them.. too bad there's no store arround here where I can try them for free! 

I'm trying to decide between them (plus Aune T1) and the HE-400...
My main IEM is Vsonic GR07be, and I find the DT880 bass is plenty enough for me. You'll notice right away the DT880's brightness comparing to other cans, but it won't be a problem since VSonic IEMs already prone to sibilance
post #6114 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by z7nz View Post


My main IEM is Vsonic GR07be, and I find the DT880 bass is plenty enough for me. You'll notice right away the DT880's brightness comparing to other cans, but it won't be a problem since VSonic IEMs already prone to sibilance

The VC1000 have less bass and don't get sibilant, they're pretty smooth on top. R-50 are brighter, but with the bass boost of BH2 I got no problem with this.

 

So now I know more or less what to expect from the DT880 ;)

 

I'll let you know my impressions once I get mine, thanks for the help!

post #6115 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorykid View Post
 

I recently picked up a pair of DT880 Pro (250 ohm) headphones, and I am really enjoying them.  For many years, I used Sony MDR-7506s (in pro audio situations / live sound reinforcement / recording), so that was my "standard."  After getting fed up with how uncomfortable they were after a couple of 5+ hour cross-country flights, I decided to see what else is out there.  I somehow ended up some DT770 Pro 250s and was shock by how comfortable they were!  Not to mention how much better they sounded than the Sony's.  They sound especially nice with my Aune T1.

 

Because of that experience, I picked up the 880s and 990s to test out, too.  The 770 is now permanently located in my office (close back is not optional!  The Aune T1 is there, too... the tube preamp attracts a lot of attention) and the 880 is my preferred home standard.  The 990s were eventually returned - I just couldn't get myself to love them.  They were a little too hyped for my tastes.

 

At home, I primarily listen at my desktop computer through either an ODAC + O2 combo or a Benchmark DAC1 USB (optical or USB).  Both setups have way more than enough power.

 

OK... back to some listening.  I just wanted to share my experiences with these awesome cans.

Very nice findings. I'm glad to hear the DT990s are probably not something up my alleyway. I found out I really like a neutral sound especially because the DT880s seem to scale really well at all volumes with EQ

post #6116 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post

I understand your point, and will refrain in the future,  But to be honest, I did not introduce the topic.  Only responding

I wouldn't worry about it.
Nobody went crazy, no big arguments started.
Everyone is still cool.

However, I might just started endlessly saying "DT880 needs tubes" until everyone agrees with me!tongue.gif
post #6117 of 10426

Yeah, nothing got too unbalanced in here. This thread is pretty much always balanced. :D

post #6118 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

However, I might just started endlessly saying "DT880 needs tubes" until everyone agrees with me!tongue.gif
Seconded... tubes bring that warm gooey goodness that only tubes can, the older the better, or nice shiny Soviets to bring the Glorious Union of Sound and Headphones together!

Do Svidanya!
post #6119 of 10426

Actually, I'll third that. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the DT880 until I tried it out of the EHHA, and I thought the combination was spectacular.

post #6120 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 
However, I might just started endlessly saying "DT880 needs tubes" until everyone agrees with me!tongue.gif

 

 

That's fine from a sound quality point of view, but tubes light up the room and are hot---not fine in a hot country (Australia) and if you want to have the TV on. They are in fact just straight out fiddley-diddley, so will never be entirely practical for everybody. I use a Marantz SR4023 STEREO receiver, which gives me a nice warm sound + the convenience of remote control of volume and tone in 1db increments. These things are not to be sneezed at. Convenience and comfort can be as essential to listening pleasure as sound quality itself, and if I had to stir myself to adjust the volume or tone with each new track (with, say, home compilations) I would soon tire of the comparatively subtle benefits of tubes. I know this is all heresy, but it's also real life, and when you get a bit older you need your comfort and convenience.

 

Now I think I'll just take a little nap.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread