or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 405

post #6061 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0rd Log1c View Post
 

So, I'm pretty much an audio noob who just bought his first set of headphones and I seem to have either misunderstood something or I've been scammed.

The thing is, I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ohm headphones and ordered a Schiit Magni + Modi at the same time. Now the headphones arrived a few days ago while the company that imports the Schiit stuff is still processing my order, so I thought my 600Ohm headphones would be useless until then.

Of course I couldn't resist trying them on and just plugging them into my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad E520) just to see what would happen if I tried listening to stuff without an amp and how impedance would effect the experience. Now, from what I read online (mainly here) about 600Ohm impedance I expected to hear nothing or a very soft sound at best, but to my surprise they worked just fine... Even when plugged into my old MP3-Player the only complaint I have is that the sound is a bit distorted, I believe some cheap Sennheiser headphones I have sound less loud than the DT880's do at full volume.

I immediately thought they send me the wrong version of the DT880's, but the box says '600 Ohm' everywhere. There is even a big silver "600 Ω VERSION AUDIOPHILE MODEL' sticker on the box. Then I checked the headphone-jack and there is definitively '600 Ω' engraved in there.

 

Someone thought it might be because the DT880 are fairly sensitive (96dB SPL), even though they have a high impedance. he said this causes them to only need around 0.4mW or 0.489V to drive them to 90dB or 12.58mW and 2.74V to drive them to 105dB, which isn't that much. Could this really be the answer?


tl;dr: My 600 Ohm DT880's sound just fine even when plugged into my laptop audio-port or old-as-F Sony MP3-player.

So now my question: Is this very strange and have I been cheated somehow or am I just a huge noob who doesn't get impedance?

Thank you in advance for putting up with my audio-noobness.

My dt880 600 ohm which I'm pretty sure are real :D

My friend INSISTED in plugging it into his galaxy s3. There was sound...albeit the sound was REALLY REALLY WEIRD..volume was ok though...think of bee gees singing even higher than he usually does.

That's my pitch.

post #6062 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightboy140 View Post
 

My dt880 600 ohm which I'm pretty sure are real :D

My friend INSISTED in plugging it into his galaxy s3. There was sound...albeit the sound was REALLY REALLY WEIRD..volume was ok though...think of bee gees singing even higher than he usually does.

That's my pitch.

I noticed the same with my DT 880 600 ohm and my cell phone, it sounded... wonky

 

there's also the issue of distortion and "wierd ness" yea you can get volume out of your on board pc but... you lose a lot of quality. With a headphone as revealing an transparent as the DT 880, you really want to put the best behind it, 

post #6063 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightboy140 View Post
 

My dt880 600 ohm which I'm pretty sure are real :D

My friend INSISTED in plugging it into his galaxy s3. There was sound...albeit the sound was REALLY REALLY WEIRD..volume was ok though...think of bee gees singing even higher than he usually does.

That's my pitch.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

I noticed the same with my DT 880 600 ohm and my cell phone, it sounded... wonky

 

there's also the issue of distortion and "wierd ness" yea you can get volume out of your on board pc but... you lose a lot of quality. With a headphone as revealing an transparent as the DT 880, you really want to put the best behind it, 

 

Thank you both so much, I did buy from a trusted source but since this is my first foray into the high-end audio world I lack experience. I was worried, but you put my doubts to rest! Now I can't wait to hear the difference when my Magni and Modi finally get here.

post #6064 of 10436

Got some bad news guys :[

 

the Hifiman HE 560... priced at about $900... looks like the T1 just got some mad compeition in my book >.> if they hype around the HE 560 is anything like the Vali's [meaning it pays in full] My lovely DT 880 might be sold off to buy a new ortho q.q 

post #6065 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post


I tried it directly out of my Galaxy S3, It was just acceptably loud enough maxed out and that was in a quiet room. Any kind of external noise can disrupt your listening. Definitely not recommended unless you live out in the country by yourself. biggrin.gif

Could be that I'm just a quiet listener!

I've also tried the DT880/600 with my FiiO E17.
The system works, but I had volume on almost full out most of the time with gain on +12.
Sometimes you can hear a touch of distortion on bass heavy music.

Just my opinion, but the FiiO E12 is the minimum amp I would use with 600 Ohm DTs.
Anything less powerful does not output enough voltage.
Edited by Chris J - 1/11/14 at 6:35am
post #6066 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


Could me I'm a quiet listener!

I've also tried the DT880/600 with my FiiO E17.
The system works, but I had volume on almost full out most of the time with gain on +12.
Sometimes you can hear a touch of distortion on bass heavy music.

Just my opinion, but the FiiO E12 is the minimum amp I would use with 600 Ohm DTs.
Anything less powerful does not output enough voltage.

Yea... all that talk of "not enough volts for PORTABLES" is how I ended up with my PB1 :/ and thus my NFB 10ES2, as much as you guys seem to hate my non stop praise for the B WORD... it was your comments that drove me to it :D so many fel the E12 was not enough, some said it was. ect... ect... ect... so I said SCREW IT let's go balanced :D 

 

So I guess long story short THANKS >:3

post #6067 of 10436
I plugged the DT880/250 into the X3 last night to test the headphone out. I put it to 50/60 for a good listening level on some Disturbed tracks. The X3 was on low gain and I didn't want to switch it over to high gain as it probably would make the purchase of the E12 redundant... eek.gif

So the line out of the X3 was plugged back into the E12 as well as the DT880's into its headphone jack. The E12 does provide some nice meat to the sound of the beyer's with its bass boost and I like the Crossfeed enabled for now.

I only wish the X3 provided bass and treble control through its Line Out as a little tone control is a nice feature to have. I read over in the X3 thread that the headphone out set at 60 (Max) with 0 gain will give the equivalent line out level...
I did not want to hook it up to the E12 that way just to get a little tone control. I like not having to set numerous volume controls but we shall see, I just need to build a little longer IC cable. biggrin.gif
post #6068 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

I plugged the DT880/250 into the X3 last night to test the headphone out. I put it to 50/60 for a good listening level on some Disturbed tracks. The X3 was on low gain and I didn't want to switch it over to high gain as it probably would make the purchase of the E12 redundant... eek.gif

So the line out of the X3 was plugged back into the E12 as well as the DT880's into its headphone jack. The E12 does provide some nice meat to the sound of the beyer's with its bass boost and I like the Crossfeed enabled for now.

I only wish the X3 provided bass and treble control through its Line Out as a little tone control is a nice feature to have. I read over in the X3 thread that the headphone out set at 60 (Max) with 0 gain will give the equivalent line out level...
I did not want to hook it up to the E12 that way just to get a little tone control. I like not having to set numerous volume controls but we shall see, I just need to build a little longer IC cable. biggrin.gif

Nice, how ever the Line out should be straight from the DAC without any feed back from the amp, my understanding of a Line out was well just that, a direct line out from the DAC into an external amplifier. If your still running your DACS analog signal through the internal Amp your technically still double amping your signal, hence opening up the possibility for distortion

 

how ever, I used to run my DT 880 out of my HM601 without an amp and it sounded pretty nice :D nice to hear the X3 can handle the 250 ohms as well! 

post #6069 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

I plugged the DT880/250 into the X3 last night to test the headphone out. I put it to 50/60 for a good listening level on some Disturbed tracks. The X3 was on low gain and I didn't want to switch it over to high gain as it probably would make the purchase of the E12 redundant... eek.gif

So the line out of the X3 was plugged back into the E12 as well as the DT880's into its headphone jack. The E12 does provide some nice meat to the sound of the beyer's with its bass boost and I like the Crossfeed enabled for now.

I only wish the X3 provided bass and treble control through its Line Out as a little tone control is a nice feature to have. I read over in the X3 thread that the headphone out set at 60 (Max) with 0 gain will give the equivalent line out level...
I did not want to hook it up to the E12 that way just to get a little tone control. I like not having to set numerous volume controls but we shall see, I just need to build a little longer IC cable. biggrin.gif

Looks like I agree!
I must admit to using the iPod EQ presets sometimes.
Don't tell anyone.
I often used the E12 and iPod with either DT880/600 or Q701 out on my deck.
Haven't done this lately, deck can be -35 C with the wind chill this time of year......wink.gif
post #6070 of 10436

hey guys,

I currently have a magni amp for my DT 880/250. It does sound ok but I really want a warmer sound to my DT880 and probably more bass impact. What do you guys suggest me to do? Will getting a DAC helps or I should just get another amp?(maybe tube amp?) My budget is around $300. 

 

Thanks!

post #6071 of 10436

DAC is the least likely thing to help, a good OTL tube amp like the Schitt Valhalla which is known to pair very well with the 880 is the ticket, and it is in your price range.

post #6072 of 10436

For a few weeks i was busy listening to my other Headphone and today i decided to listen to DT880 and LD MK III swap the tubes with 6HM5 tubes and to my surprise i never heard DT880 with these kind of detail and clarity.I love These Headphone....

post #6073 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

For a few weeks i was busy listening to my other Headphone and today i decided to listen to DT880 and LD MK III swap the tubes with 6HM5 tubes and to my surprise i never heard DT880 with these kind of detail and clarity.I love These Headphone....

hurray :D 

post #6074 of 10436
The 6HM5's do sound nice indeed. I have been running the Voskhod 6Ж23П and I enjoy that with DT880's.
post #6075 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

The 6HM5's do sound nice indeed. I have been running the Voskhod 6Ж23П and I enjoy that with DT880's.

I bought those Tubes because of you guys from the other Thread(useful thread and helpful members)Thank You TD!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread