Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 393

post #5881 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post
 

 I just got a HE400 for $299 on the Black Friday deal, prior to that deal popping up I was considering the DT880. Do you feel like I made the right choice for that price? Which would you prefer if you had to choose between the two?

I sold my HE 400 and kept my dt 880... 

 

Warning: B WORD (Click to show)
both my DT 880 and HE 400 where balanced with upgraded Copper cables so they where fairly matched out of my NFB 10ES2 Balanced out

That said, while the HE 400 will also be a little faster and a little tighter, I ended up keeping my DT 880. I can EQ the dt 880 to be 95% as Bass Happy as the HE 400, and my balanced dt 880 still cost me half as much as my HE 400, which had a Toxic Cable and J$ ePads 

 

That said, I eq'd my HE 400 to have the DT 880 sound and along with it's [the HE 400]  Speed and Tight Bass, but I sold my HE 400 because I need the isolation of a closed back since I primarly only listen to EDM during my time on Campus. 

That and, with EQ the DT 880 was about 95% as good as the HE 400 in terms of bass, which for EDM is plenty worth it

 

SO I kept the DT 880 and prefer the DT 880 to the HE 400. My biggest issue with the HE 400 was the lack of upper mids... vocals sounded weird...  and I'm not a fan of using eq [with the exception of EDM] my reason for this is, I don't have EQ with my portable set up and I prefer for that reason to avoid eqíng. Now portably I like to use a Bass Boosting amp when I can

 

SO yea, the HE 400... I sold it and kept the DT 880 

post #5882 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

I sold my HE 400 and kept my dt 880... 

 

Warning: B WORD (Click to show)
both my DT 880 and HE 400 where balanced with upgraded Copper cables so they where fairly matched out of my NFB 10ES2 Balanced out

That said, while the HE 400 will also be a little faster and a little tighter, I ended up keeping my DT 880. I can EQ the dt 880 to be 95% as Bass Happy as the HE 400, and my balanced dt 880 still cost me half as much as my HE 400, which had a Toxic Cable and J$ ePads 

 

That said, I eq'd my HE 400 to have the DT 880 sound and along with it's [the HE 400]  Speed and Tight Bass, but I sold my HE 400 because I need the isolation of a closed back since I primarly only listen to EDM during my time on Campus. 

That and, with EQ the DT 880 was about 95% as good as the HE 400 in terms of bass, which for EDM is plenty worth it

 

SO I kept the DT 880 and prefer the DT 880 to the HE 400. My biggest issue with the HE 400 was the lack of upper mids... vocals sounded weird...  and I'm not a fan of using eq [with the exception of EDM] my reason for this is, I don't have EQ with my portable set up and I prefer for that reason to avoid eqíng. Now portably I like to use a Bass Boosting amp when I can

 

SO yea, the HE 400... I sold it and kept the DT 880 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcow120 View Post
 

 

The two are generally considered equals but each person's sonic preference will determine which pair they prefer. Seeing as the DT880 pro can be found for around $200, it would probably make them a better value. However, if you are not a fan of their sound signature then $300 for the HE-400 is also a pretty good deal.

 


The depth and soundstage along with the spikes seem to be a downside to the DT880 vs the HE400. It is a more airy headphone with its treble and does better with female vocals but as far as depth, soundstage, and instrument separation the HE400 is better. Bass impact and depth is also an advantage on the HE400.

I'm keeping my HE400 for now and selling my DT880. I also have an HE4 coming in which from reviews seem to be the best of both worlds of HE400 and DT880

:beyersmile:

 

(Dt880 for sale classified is on my signature)

 

 

 


Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 12/18/13 at 3:23pm
post #5883 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post


The depth and soundstage along with the spikes seem to be a downside to the DT880 vs the HE400. It is a more airy headphone with its treble and does better with female vocals but as far as depth, soundstage, and instrument separation the HE400 is better. Bass impact and depth is also an advantage on the HE400.

 

Just to clarify, by bass depth you mean low-end (sub-bass) extension right?

 

I'd love to hear what you think of the HE4. From what you said, it sounds like it has more treble than the HE400?

post #5884 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post
 

I wonder what causes the peak. I wonder if it's an unavoidable artifact, or else if it's a case of it being the lesser of two evils that Beyer selected between when tuning the headphone. I feel like if there was anything they could have done about it they might have tried, especially since they have a pretty extraordinary headphone apart from that. The peak doesn't even ring, like a lot of peaks do. It's just an area of extra energy. Maybe they actually intended it to be there in that case, in order to set themselves apart from the HD600, which follows the DF curve to near perfection and, as a consequence, is usually described as less energetic sounding than the DT880. 5-6 kHz is generally considered to be more benign than either a bit higher (where you run into splashiness and a large portion of sibilance) or a bit lower (where you get shoutiness and hardness). I'm unusually sensitive to 5-6 kHz, and even in my case there are only a few really bad tracks where the EQ is pretty much necessary. And I haven't come across a single recording in my classical collection (after this past summer's sizable expansion, pushing almost 1,000 tracks) where the extra treble energy causes an issue. If anything, I like the effect--instead of increasing the highest overtones, it increases the sense of presence and ambiance.

 

Interesting thoughts. I suspect you may be right about Beyer choosing the lesser of two evils, as well as about them having an extraordinary headphone. I think they probably tried a few things in terms of damping and found that, while they dampened the peak, they also took the life out of the sound. I'm like you: I can listen to most recordings flat; the peak seems strangely benign compared to those I've heard in other headphones. Where it impinges a little, I just back off the treble 2db and hey presto, no problem. This is with classical. Whether it affects popular styles more, especially vocals, I wouldn't know. One thing I do know: I've owned both LCD-2 and HE-500 and in terms of tonal correctness and lack of colouration the DT880 is right up there with them (ahead, in fact, of the HE-500, which I found to have an odd cavernous effect). Doesn't have the bass slam or treble purity of the LCD-2, but is amazingly 'right' in every other way, most especially if the peak is slightly damped.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 

...a 2khz peak wll make its presence felt on everything and will on some recordings be intolerable...

 

I take it you don't like Grados much, then? That's pretty much where they get their unique sound--a tall peak right around 2 kHz. Other than that, it's just a mid-bass bump and shelved up mid-treble, which isn't that unusual. I kind of liked the sound for some genres, but it was pretty much useless for classical. Nothing in the orchestra sounded right, particularly strings.

 

Dead on. I only ever tried an SR80 and hated it. I see what Grado are about, but it has nothing to do with what I'm looking for.

post #5885 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post
 

 

Just to clarify, by bass depth you mean low-end (sub-bass) extension right?

 

I'd love to hear what you think of the HE4. From what you said, it sounds like it has more treble than the HE400?


Correct, sub-bass. I barely use EQ unless it's a poorly recorded track with unbearable sibilance but the HE400 bass really hits well with: movies, games, and EQ-ed music. Want more bass? Just ask and you shall receive. With the right amp it's amazing how much quantity AND quality of bass they can produce.
 
As far as the HE4, they've got a flatter frequency response but keeps the qualities of a planar magnetic (or so I'm told, I will confirm after 150hrs of use here). They require a ton of power however, which will be going to my NFB-10SE balanced. They'll have enough juice to play with.

post #5886 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 


Correct, sub-bass. I barely use EQ unless it's a poorly recorded track with unbearable sibilance but the HE400 bass really hits well with: movies, games, and EQ-ed music. Want more bass? Just ask and you shall receive. With the right amp it's amazing how much quantity AND quality of bass they can produce.
 
As far as the HE4, they've got a flatter frequency response but keeps the qualities of a planar magnetic (or so I'm told, I will confirm after 150hrs of use here). They require a ton of power however, which will be going to my NFB-10SE balanced. They'll have enough juice to play with.

exactly, I wished I'd gotten an HE 4 over my HE 400 honestly... it would have been so epic with teh Toxic Cable and J$ cable! 

 

But yea the DT 880 lacks a little in depth and clairty, the instrument seperation is on par with both imo. THe Flatter response of the DT 880 has an even presentation. The HE 400 has too much of an un even response. It may be better seperated but it's also not as flat 

post #5887 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

exactly, I wished I'd gotten an HE 4 over my HE 400 honestly... it would have been so epic with teh Toxic Cable and J$ cable! 

 

But yea the DT 880 lacks a little in depth and clairty, the instrument seperation is on par with both imo. THe Flatter response of the DT 880 has an even presentation. The HE 400 has too much of an un even response. It may be better seperated but it's also not as flat 


To me separation goes hand in hand with depth and soundstage. So while it may have separation in a sense of strictly sound being produced by the drivers, placement adds on top of that and really emphasizes separation. Maybe going balanced would be a nice touch for the DT880 but as it is, I've got too many headphones and something's gotta go.

post #5888 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post
 


To me separation goes hand in hand with depth and soundstage. So while it may have separation in a sense of strictly sound being produced by the drivers, placement adds on top of that and really emphasizes separation. Maybe going balanced would be a nice touch for the DT880 but as it is, I've got too many headphones and something's gotta go.

Oh yea, the HE 400 and DT 880 are most certianly both excellent headphones. If you like the HE 400 over the DT 880 that's fine! there's nothing wrong with having a preferance for the HE 400 over the Dt 880! Both are excellent headphones! 

post #5889 of 7855

I also owned a DT990 250 Premium and sold it because I felt that the technicalities of the HE-400 were so much stronger than the 990. Details and clarity across the whole spectrum. My only qualm with the HE400 is that it has a kind of recessed vocal track for some songs, I was thinking maybe the DT880 would be a nice midground, but it seems to just be essentially a different sound signature DT990. The 400 just seems like a more "high end" phone. I think the HE-500 would be more my tastes in terms of neutrality though, which is what I'm after ultimately. I just don't want to step backwards in the detail and PRaT department which I feel the DT880 could be (slightly).

post #5890 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post
 

I also owned a DT990 250 Premium and sold it because I felt that the technicalities of the HE-400 were so much stronger than the 990. Details and clarity across the whole spectrum. My only qualm with the HE400 is that it has a kind of recessed vocal track for some songs, I was thinking maybe the DT880 would be a nice midground, but it seems to just be essentially a different sound signature DT990. The 400 just seems like a more "high end" phone. I think the HE-500 would be more my tastes in terms of neutrality though, which is what I'm after ultimately. I just don't want to step backwards in the detail and PRaT department which I feel the DT880 could be (slightly).

I felt the opposite of what you heard. I thought the HE-400 wasn't quite as detailed as the DT880  but had a more energetic presence of bass(unequalized). I just thought the HE-400 wasn't comfortable enough that I could "disappear" into the music. In my opinion the HE-500 was the one I'd be leaning to try again because I enjoyed it's neutrality a lot. It was also slightly less bright than the DT880. I just hate how heavy it is :triportsad:

post #5891 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post
 

I felt the opposite of what you heard. I thought the HE-400 wasn't quite as detailed as the DT880

 

That's what I'm asking. I feel the HE-400 is much more detailed than my 990. I feel the 990 had kind of a feaux detail due to it's sparkle. It sounded good but I am kind of after more neutrality than the 990 offered. Two priorities for me, Detail and neutrality. Bass impact isn't huge on my list, but I do love the HE-400's extension. Never heard an 880 though, so I was asking about comparisons between the two.

post #5892 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post
 

I felt the opposite of what you heard. I thought the HE-400 wasn't quite as detailed as the DT880

 

That's what I'm asking. I feel the HE-400 is much more detailed than my 990. I feel the 990 had kind of a feaux detail due to it's sparkle. It sounded good but I am kind of after more neutrality than the 990 offered. Two priorities for me, Detail and neutrality. Bass impact isn't huge on my list, but I do love the HE-400's extension. Never heard an 880 though, so I was asking about comparisons between the two.

 

 

Sounds lke you shouldn't make a move until you've auditioned the 880. More neutrality than the 990? Check. Good detail without wildly exaggerated bass and treble? Check. Solid bass that nevertheless doesn't hit you in the solar plexus every few seconds? Check.

post #5893 of 7855
Have you auditioned the he400? Without eq, most music doesn't have earth shattering bass. Wildly exaggerated highs and lows? Nah. Poorly done tracks maybe or if you demand the bass via EQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post


Sounds lke you shouldn't make a move until you've auditioned the 880. More neutrality than the 990? Check. Good detail without wildly exaggerated bass and treble? Check. Solid bass that nevertheless doesn't hit you in the solar plexus every few seconds? Check.

Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 12/19/13 at 2:10am
post #5894 of 7855
Neutrality and detail you say? I don't want to jump the gun here but I've had my he4 plugged in for... 45mins and that's what they are. Like a baby of a DT880 and HE400, except that treble spike and female-vocal mid dip of the two respectively canceled each other out. The bass has the same impact and depth but less in qty. EQ-ed and this thing can come close to the he400's bass. I feel the soundstage can get wider... I'll have to do the grill mod on this as well but for now I'll work em to 150hrs. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 View Post

That's what I'm asking. I feel the HE-400 is much more detailed than my 990. I feel the 990 had kind of a feaux detail due to it's sparkle. It sounded good but I am kind of after more neutrality than the 990 offered. Two priorities for me, Detail and neutrality. Bass impact isn't huge on my list, but I do love the HE-400's extension. Never heard an 880 though, so I was asking about comparisons between the two.

Edited by Soundsgoodtome - 12/19/13 at 2:29am
post #5895 of 7855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

Neutrality and detail you say? I don't want to jump the gun here but I've had my he4 plugged in for... 45mins and that's what they are. Like a baby of a DT880 and HE400, except that treble spike and female-vocal mid dip of the two respectively canceled each other out. The bass has the same impact and depth but less in qty. EQ-ed and this thing can come close to the he400's bass. I feel the soundstage can get wider... I'll have to do the grill mod on this as well but for now I'll work em to 150hrs. Cheers!

I'm interested in getting an HE 4 my self as well, simply due to what I hear about it! 

 

With regrads to he HE 400, it is better than the dt 990, but when your running the HE 400 on sub par gear, like an oDac or an M Stage, it doesn't perform well enough imo to merit the price. So I don't recommened the HE 400 to new members seeing as for the money, the dt 990 performs a lot better with things like the E17 and the oDac more so than the HE 400. Now for some one who has something like a Schiit biFrost or an Audio GD amp, the HE 400 out of that gear is a step ahead of the DT 990

 

 

How ever, I'd really like to try the HE 4. Although I'd kinda want another Toxic Cable and J$ pad for the HE 4 same as what I used for my HE 400 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread