or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 365

post #5461 of 10421

Posting Guidelines

post #5462 of 10421

Phew, I thought we got the whole thread locked. Please guys, stay on topic, follow the guidelines, and treat each other kindly & with respect.

 

On with the DT 880 appreciating!

 

:dt880smile:

post #5463 of 10421

Actually, now that I've posted that infamous DT880 picture, that reminds me. Has anybody in this thread heard the 80s DT880? I've read a few different impressions of them, and every so often I make a half-hearted trip to the auction site, the FS forum, and/or CL to see if anybody has one for sale (no one ever does). Can anybody compare them to the modern DT880?

post #5464 of 10421

Now that we are back on topic:

Those headphones in the photo are normal size.

The guy in the photo is actually 9-1/2" high.

 

It's true!

post #5465 of 10421

Who knew Beyer was working on a shrink ray!

 

They should train it on the Sennheiser factory. They'd really be shrinking the competition then! :p

post #5466 of 10421

Just ordered a DT880 600ohms. Thanks to all the feedback here. I look fwd to trying these out with my Buffalo32 dac + Meier Concerto. Will post impressions. My first beyer... Excited !

post #5467 of 10421

guys...dude offered me a pair of esp950 with amp for 550 bucks. Should I go for it? 

If anyone here has had the pleasure of listening to it before...how does it compare/sound to the dt880s?

post #5468 of 10421

So my take away is that most people like the 600 ohm version. That's the one I ordered. Will a Meier concerto be able to drive it properly or should I get the 250 ohm version ? i love the concerto and use it with my other HPs and I dont want to buy another amp just to drive the DT880/600. Any advice ?

post #5469 of 10421

http://www.head-fi.org/t/471583/review-meier-audio-concerto-headphone-amp

 

Skylab's review indicates that it drives the headphone no problem, but he considered the amp to not be the most optimal pairing with bright headphones.

post #5470 of 10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightboy140 View Post
 

guys...dude offered me a pair of esp950 with amp for 550 bucks. Should I go for it? 

If anyone here has had the pleasure of listening to it before...how does it compare/sound to the dt880s?


Light years in difference and good ones at that. Thats a fair price for 950's if they are in good condition. A completely different level of clarity than any DD headphone. The only issue with the 950 is the energiser module itself is not the greatest. If you look out for a deal on a decent Stax energiser for it and get one of the plug conversion kits you are in for a real treat.

post #5471 of 10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutnicks View Post
 


Light years in difference and good ones at that. Thats a fair price for 950's if they are in good condition. A completely different level of clarity than any DD headphone. The only issue with the 950 is the energiser module itself is not the greatest. If you look out for a deal on a decent Stax energiser for it and get one of the plug conversion kits you are in for a real treat.

Just getting my feet wet in stats headphones :D

I heard that esp950 is a real bang for the buck..I wanna see if it's true.

post #5472 of 10421

I can get my hands on the older type (2004 ish?) DT 880. Can anyone here confirm going from the photo that the impedance is 250 and if/how this older type sounds different compared to the more recent badges?

 


Edited by moriez - 11/27/13 at 4:58am
post #5473 of 10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post

I can get my hands on the older type (2004 ish?) DT 880. Can anyone here confirm going from the photo that the impedance is 250 and if/how this older type sounds different compared to the more recent badges?


I've read somewhere that the newer one sounds better.
post #5474 of 10421
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post

I can get my hands on the older type (2004 ish?) DT 880. Can anyone here confirm going from the photo that the impedance is 250 and if/how this older type sounds different compared to the more recent badges?



 



<br />


 



The impedance may be printed on the headphone jack.

The modern ones have the impedance on the jack, I don't know when they started doing this though.........
post #5475 of 10421
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriez View Post
 

I can get my hands on the older type (2004 ish?) DT 880. Can anyone here confirm going from the photo that the impedance is 250 and if/how this older type sounds different compared to the more recent badges?

 

 

 

<br />

 

Depend of the user some prefer the 2003 , and others the 2005 one (the current in circulation)

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris J View Post



The impedance may be printed on the headphone jack.

The modern ones have the impedance on the jack, I don't know when they started doing this though.........

 

The modern ones rated at 600 ohms the others 2005 edition don't have any mark .


Edited by HaVoC-28 - 11/27/13 at 10:43am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread