Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 343

post #5131 of 7960
Hi everybody,

Recently got a new pair of Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohm. I'm pairing these cans with Schiit Valhalla amp I got from here. These are my first Beyers and I really enjoying them. Valhalla makes these cans shine with incredible level of detail adding a little warmth from the tubes. I like the sound signature - neutral, but still has a great amount of bass, mids are a bit forward, but actually I like it. My collection of rock music has got a new life.
post #5132 of 7960
Excellent MaDD0G!

Welcome to the club! It's good to see more tube users with the DT880's, at least we still outnumber those BALANCED people. biggrin.gif
post #5133 of 7960
Thanks, TrollDragon!

Yep, seems that Beyers really love tubes.
post #5134 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Excellent MaDD0G!

Welcome to the club! It's good to see more tube users with the DT880's, at least we still outnumber those BALANCED people. biggrin.gif

I ran dt880/600 off woo audio wa3+ with gec 2523 and tesla rhodium e88cc and a bifrost...I didn't like it as much as with my current setup(which is balanced).

Idk if it's just me, but the bifrost is a tad too bright for me. I tested this by having the same amp and swapped dacs. 

It could be just me.

post #5135 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Oh noooooo's he is gathering followers! biggrin.gif
Looks like I'm going home!
post #5136 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightboy140 View Post
 

I ran dt880/600 off woo audio wa3+ with gec 2523 and tesla rhodium e88cc and a bifrost...I didn't like it as much as with my current setup(which is balanced).

Idk if it's just me, but the bifrost is a tad too bright for me. I tested this by having the same amp and swapped dacs. 

It could be just me.

 

As we find in the Little Dot tube rolling thread that not all tubes sound and work the same for everyone. As an example I just love the cheap Soviet tubes, a lot of great sounding gems to be found labeled "Сделано в СССР" for not very much money.

 

I am not personally familiar with the above mentioned tubes, they might be ToTL or Über Rare but the sound of them just might not be to your liking. When the wife listens to the DT880's she like's the solid state amp much more than the tube's as well, I tell her to enjoy whichever one she like's better, as she is the one listening. :D

post #5137 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Excellent MaDD0G!

Welcome to the club! It's good to see more tube users with the DT880's, at least we still outnumber those BALANCED people. biggrin.gif

 

Well, I've been unbalanced all my life, and I'm proud of it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDD0G View Post

Thanks, TrollDragon!

Yep, seems that Beyers really love tubes.

 

They love Marantz too. The right Marantz.

post #5138 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post
 

 

As we find in the Little Dot tube rolling thread that not all tubes sound and work the same for everyone. As an example I just love the cheap Soviet tubes, a lot of great sounding gems to be found labeled "Сделано в СССР" for not very much money.

 

I am not personally familiar with the above mentioned tubes, they might be ToTL or Über Rare but the sound of them just might not be to your liking. When the wife listens to the DT880's she like's the solid state amp much more than the tube's as well, I tell her to enjoy whichever one she like's better, as she is the one listening. :D

from my understanding...GEC is a british brand and as for that tube...I've never ever ever EVER seen it elsewhere, but one of my friends here on headfi, after hearing that the amp came with that tube was like....OH MY GOSH GET ITTTT THAT IS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER ON EARTH. and so i got it lol

the tube amp I had was amazing, "but it was unsafe" (I'm cracking up so hard inside). You have no idea how many of my friends came over and burnt themselves :D silly none headfiers.

post #5139 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDD0G View Post

Hi everybody,

Recently got a new pair of Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohm. I'm pairing these cans with Schiit Valhalla amp I got from here. These are my first Beyers and I really enjoying them. Valhalla makes these cans shine with incredible level of detail adding a little warmth from the tubes. I like the sound signature - neutral, but still has a great amount of bass, mids are a bit forward, but actually I like it. My collection of rock music has got a new life.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightboy140 View Post
 

I ran dt880/600 off woo audio wa3+ with gec 2523 and tesla rhodium e88cc and a bifrost...I didn't like it as much as with my current setup(which is balanced).

Idk if it's just me, but the bifrost is a tad too bright for me. I tested this by having the same amp and swapped dacs. 

It could be just me.

Agreed, everything said about the DT 880 on tubes applies to them when balanced. Out of my NFB 10ES2 the bass got more visceral and the mids came forward just a smide as well! Oh and ofc the details where wonderfully increased as was the sound stage!

 

I'd honestly like to see Schiit Make a Balanced Vahalla! They have a balanced tube in the works though. Might snatch it up 

post #5140 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightboy140 View Post

from my understanding...GEC is a british brand and as for that tube...I've never ever ever EVER seen it elsewhere, but one of my friends here on headfi, after hearing that the amp came with that tube was like....OH MY GOSH GET ITTTT THAT IS LIKE THE BEST THING EVER ON EARTH. and so i got it lol
the tube amp I had was amazing, "but it was unsafe" (I'm cracking up so hard inside). You have no idea how many of my friends came over and burnt themselves biggrin.gif silly none headfiers.

GEC
I'm gonna cry
I used to work for GEC
they changed their name to Marconi and got seriously burned in the tech meltdown of 2001 redface.gif

off topic stream of consciousness meandering soliloquoy over
post #5141 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


GEC
I'm gonna cry
I used to work for GEC
they changed their name to Marconi and got seriously burned in the tech meltdown of 2001 redface.gif

off topic stream of consciousness meandering soliloquoy over

:o I never knew that. I was wondering why I couldn't find any results on google. then i typed in marconi gec then BAM EVERYTHING.

post #5142 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post


...

I'd honestly like to see Schiit Make a Balanced Vahalla! ... 

Yeah, a balanced Valhalla would be a real beast.
post #5143 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDD0G View Post


Yeah, a balanced Valhalla would be a real beast.

Yup and priced at around $800 or so to compete with the LD MK VI+ they have a balanced tube in the works but it's around the 1500 market 

post #5144 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Yup and priced at around $800 or so to compete with the LD MK VI+ they have a balanced tube in the works but it's around the 1500 market 

Speaking of LD MK VI+ how are they? How do they sound with the tubes your using?

Just curious :D I've always heard great things about little dot but i've never tried one

post #5145 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightboy140 View Post
 

Speaking of LD MK VI+ how are they? How do they sound with the tubes your using?

Just curious :D I've always heard great things about little dot but i've never tried one

Don't have it... planned of getting of it 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread