or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 328

post #4906 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyang View Post
 

 

DT880's are brighter than most of my cans... But then again, "what's YOUR definition of BRIGHT?"  Sound wise, to me they are very neutral.  Female vocals are fantastic and details are up to par with most of the more expensive headphones out there.  IMHO good choice for your bucks. 

 

I've tried this though, dunno if this would help:

 

Modi/Asgard 2= brighter with fine details

Modi/Fiio E09K= darker with less details

Modi/Lyr= right in between the two but with fine details. (stock tubes)

 

I haven't tried the modi/O2 but people say they are darker than the schiit stuff.


Yeah, I'm gonna use a parametric equalizer to attentuate that little spike the DT 880s have in the 5k-10k range. Thing is, I am seeking a transparent and completely neutral dac and amp. I was really hoping the o2 and odac would be up to par, but after doing some reading they seem to be pretty finicky. I could be wrong, and by no means do I want to tarnish the reputation of a product that is of great quality. I have just read some reports that say the odac is really finicky when it comes to its USB power.

 

Heh, once my DT 880s arrive I won't even be able to use them for a while. :P

post #4907 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 


Thing is, I am seeking a transparent and completely neutral dac and amp.

 

 

I don't know what your price range is but if you let us "here" know we can probably try to point you to the right direction.

 

My setup:

 

Schiit Bifrost Uber/Asgard 2.

 

There is some but not much treble spike with the dt880/modi/asgard 2, "still not annoying as HE400's treble spike imho.  But when I upgraded to the bifrost uber it actually when away, at lease what I can hear from the modi/asgard2 vs bifrost/asgard2 set up.  Bifrost tends to take all of the negativity away from the modi some how.  Bifrost Uber/Asgard2/DT880 now sounds very neutral imho.

 

Some say DT880 has a treble spike, some says it does not.  It really depends on what you're pairing it with really.


Edited by dyang - 10/14/13 at 3:28pm
post #4908 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post


Yeah, I'm gonna use a parametric equalizer to attentuate that little spike the DT 880s have in the 5k-10k range. Thing is, I am seeking a transparent and completely neutral dac and amp. I was really hoping the o2 and odac would be up to par, but after doing some reading they seem to be pretty finicky. I could be wrong, and by no means do I want to tarnish the reputation of a product that is of great quality. I have just read some reports that say the odac is really finicky when it comes to its USB power.

 

Heh, once my DT 880s arrive I won't even be able to use them for a while. :P

 

I've never heard of the ODAC having a finicky USB connection. That can happen with any DAC though, particularly USB powered ones, and particularly if you plug them into less than ideal USB ports like the ones on Monitors and other hubs or the front USB connections on some cases. I don't think you would have any problems with it.

post #4909 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 


Yeah, I'm gonna use a parametric equalizer to attentuate that little spike the DT 880s have in the 5k-10k range. Thing is, I am seeking a transparent and completely neutral dac and amp. I was really hoping the o2 and odac would be up to par, but after doing some reading they seem to be pretty finicky. I could be wrong, and by no means do I want to tarnish the reputation of a product that is of great quality. I have just read some reports that say the odac is really finicky when it comes to its USB power.

 

Heh, once my DT 880s arrive I won't even be able to use them for a while. :P

 

I wouldn't personally alter their FR, they're very close to neutral stock. If I'm being picky I'd say they have more of a recessed mid-range than a high spike, that's where I would target with EQ if anything.

 

I used the DT880 with an OTL tube amp and the very neutral PS Audio DLIII.

post #4910 of 10424

Everyone hears differently but I find that slightly reducing the ~ 8khz spike improves the tonal accuracy of that range. Increasing the mids might produce the same kind of results. My advice is try it for yourself and see what you think. It helps a lot to have some other headphones to compare with. By themselves the DT880s sound quite neutral to me and I might not otherwise notice it but compared to other headphones the tonality seems to be ever so slightly off right at or near that treble spike. Vocals tend to have slightly too much 'hiss' i guess you might call it but its only a very slight issue and you may not notice or care about it.

post #4911 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 

You have the very pairing I am considering going with. I don't have my dt880s yet (I am in the process of purchasing them from a friendly fellow headfier :) ) but I am doing a fair bit of research. Would you describe the sound as neutral? Do you have any other amps? I was gonna go with the odac/02, but from what I understand the odac has a lot of issues (I can elaborate if someone would like me to), though I may be wrong about that. So right now I am really curious about the modi, and am thinking of pairing it with an O2.

 

Is the modi neutral?

Yes, I would describe them as neutral.  I mostly listen to rock and classical music, and IMO they sound remarkably clear and detailed.  I don't have any other dedicated headphone amps, the Modi/Magni is my first, but I did run them from my laptop (not enough power to make them loud enough, and nowhere near as clear or detailed).  I also ran them through my full-size stereo amp fed by an old Blu-Ray player.  It had plenty of power, but I think the M/M sound clearer (and make a lot more sense on my desktop.)  I haven't heard the Modi through anything but the Magni, but a lot of people like the O2.  I think you're probably be pretty damn happy either way.  

post #4912 of 10424

On second thought, it might in fact be the mids coming through slightly more with 8khz EQ'd down a touch so increasing the mids might indeed have the same effect because I tend to notice the difference in tonality in vocals more than higher-end stuff.

post #4913 of 10424

Yeah, I am a little skeptical of anything USB powered. I have a laptop, and only a laptop. I have an ASUS U30JC and it has all 2.0 USB ports. Thing is, I worry that even if I am satisfied with the sound I am not getting the proper sound, and achieving the proper sound is very important to me. As a musician I consider it to be a nightmare to think I am somehow not getting the authentic experience. I read that the ODAC tends to change its sound depending on the kind of USB cable used, and that with the addition of each ferrite (I read one guy on this board used something like two ferrite clips) the sound changes. I have also read reports of there being nasty electronic noise and whatnot. The JDS Labs ODAC/O2 has been spoken of as having some issues when you plug the adaptor into a power bar, or your wall. It just sounds like a lot of finicky crap that I'd rather not risk.

 

I know the Schiit Modi is USB powered, but I haven't read the complaints. UGH I JUST WANT EASY NEUTRALITY.

post #4914 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 

Yeah, I am a little skeptical of anything USB powered. I have a laptop, and only a laptop. I have an ASUS U30JC and it has all 2.0 USB ports. Thing is, I worry that even if I am satisfied with the sound I am not getting the proper sound, and achieving the proper sound is very important to me. As a musician I consider it to be a nightmare to think I am somehow not getting the authentic experience. I read that the ODAC tends to change its sound depending on the kind of USB cable used, and that with the addition of each ferrite (I read one guy on this board used something like two ferrite clips) the sound changes. I have also read reports of there being nasty electronic noise and whatnot. The JDS Labs ODAC/O2 has been spoken of as having some issues when you plug the adaptor into a power bar, or your wall. It just sounds like a lot of finicky crap that I'd rather not risk.

 

I think you're worrying too much. I've been reading head-fi every day for 2 years and A LOT has been said about the ODAC/O2 and I've never once heard complaints about electronic noise or problems with the power. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I don't think its nearly as common as you seem to think. The O2+ODAC are a highly regarded amp and DAC that are considered to be really well engineered despite the relatively low price.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 

I know the Schiit Modi is USB powered, but I haven't read the complaints. UGH I JUST WANT EASY NEUTRALITY.

 

Maybe this is the problem. You're looking specifically for complaints and if you do that with any electronics you will find plenty of complaints, usually caused by something else in the user's system, user error, etc.

 

I wouldn't shy away from USB powered DACs. While USB can't provide enough power for a good onboard amplifier, it seems to provide plenty for a simple 2V analog line out. There are a ton of highly regarded USB powered DACs on the market including both the O2 and Modi that you've mentioned. I suspect you would be quite happy with either of them.

 

Maybe from now on try to balance things by looking for both complaints and praises for the models you're researching. ;) Just trying to help. Feel free to ask more questions, there are lots of knowledge people here on head-fi that have experience with the very models you're looking at, including a lot of experienced users here in the DT880 thread.

 

Cheers


Edited by devhen - 10/15/13 at 4:53am
post #4915 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post

Yeah, I am a little skeptical of anything USB powered. I have a laptop, and only a laptop. I have an ASUS U30JC and it has all 2.0 USB ports. Thing is, I worry that even if I am satisfied with the sound I am not getting the proper sound, and achieving the proper sound is very important to me. As a musician I consider it to be a nightmare to think I am somehow not getting the authentic experience. I read that the ODAC tends to change its sound depending on the kind of USB cable used, and that with the addition of each ferrite (I read one guy on this board used something like two ferrite clips) the sound changes. I have also read reports of there being nasty electronic noise and whatnot. The JDS Labs ODAC/O2 has been spoken of as having some issues when you plug the adaptor into a power bar, or your wall. It just sounds like a lot of finicky crap that I'd rather not risk.

I know the Schiit Modi is USB powered, but I haven't read the complaints. UGH I JUST WANT EASY NEUTRALITY.

All dacs, amps, cables, etc. damage the musical signal while they are doing their job.

Since your stated priority is neutrality and proper sound, all you can do is minimize the damage at each step. That would include lossless files, delivered with quality software, through a quality cable, to the best dac you can afford. Then the same with the delicate analog signal, quality cable to the best amp you can afford. Short cables, clean connections, no unnecessary devices, cumulatively everything matters.

In hi-fidelity, K.I.S.S. has always been the path to neutrality and transparency for me.
post #4916 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicism View Post
 

 

I wouldn't personally alter their FR, they're very close to neutral stock. If I'm being picky I'd say they have more of a recessed mid-range than a high spike, that's where I would target with EQ if anything.

 

I used the DT880 with an OTL tube amp and the very neutral PS Audio DLIII.

Guys :D the new Schiit Vali at $120 might be an EPIC match with the Dt 880! The Beyers high impedance and lack of sensitivity apparently pair well with the Vali. I'd love to hear some one's impression of it [heck I might even try it] although... I'd rather not try it because I HIGHLY doubt the vali will match the quality of my balanced NFB 10ES2, for a bright dac/ amp honestly... they just made the Dt 880 even better. Yea there's a smidge more treble than what was there before but there's also more mids and a tigher bass

 

ANYWAYS

 

Try the Vali for those of you who are new Dt 880 owners, and are looking to tame that treble. When I had my 250 ohm, Hybrid tubes did a nice job for smoothing the treble and bumping the mids of my 880 imo! 

post #4917 of 10424

Just ordered a pair of DT880 Premiums.  Paid extra for next day delivery, and they should be delivered to me at work tomorrow :)

 

Looking forward to giving them a good listen to upon arriving home tomorrow evening.

 

I was SOOOO tempted to go over budget and "build" a Manufaktur set...  but reality prevailed before I threw an extra £100 away. 

 

Initially they will be driven by an Asus Xonar Essence card, but will probably be getting the Fiio E10 in short order.

post #4918 of 10424

I wonder if the vali will handle  DT880 premium 600ohms.

post #4919 of 10424

Wondering if i could get some advice here..

 

I currently have a heavily modded pair of D2000's (balanced, MarkL Modded, J$ Pads, Wood cups, balanced) and the LCD2 (balanced).

I can get a pair of mint DT880 600ohm right now for $200.

Do you guys think that it will complement my existing headphones well? or is there no point of owning the DT880 when i have LCD2's?

post #4920 of 10424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Guys biggrin.gif the new Schiit Vali at $120 might be an EPIC match with the Dt 880! The Beyers high impedance and lack of sensitivity apparently pair well with the Vali. I'd love to hear some one's impression of it [heck I might even try it] although... I'd rather not try it because I HIGHLY doubt the vali will match the quality of my balanced NFB 10ES2, for a bright dac/ amp honestly... they just made the Dt 880 even better. Yea there's a smidge more treble than what was there before but there's also more mids and a tigher bass

ANYWAYS

Try the Vali for those of you who are new Dt 880 owners, and are looking to tame that treble. When I had my 250 ohm, Hybrid tubes did a nice job for smoothing the treble and bumping the mids of my 880 imo! 

Have you ever tried DT880s with a Valhalla?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread