or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 325

post #4861 of 10436

hmm maybe ill go with the O2 then i like my ddt880 the way it is now maybe a LITTLE more bass but that's it 

post #4862 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powahlam View Post
 

hmm maybe ill go with the O2 then i like my ddt880 the way it is now maybe a LITTLE more bass but that's it 

 

Any of the amps that was mentioned, you'd be ok imho...  If you like a little more bass, start playing with EQ'ing.  But be careful, you wouldn't wanna flood the quality.  Adjust with small increments at a time is best.  

 

However, some EQ programs already come with loaded presets such as, Rock, Jazz, Classical, Hip Hop, etc....  That might help

 

Happy :dt880smile:

post #4863 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powahlam View Post
 

hmm maybe ill go with the O2 then i like my ddt880 the way it is now maybe a LITTLE more bass but that's it 

I like the bass as it is out of my Balanced AGD 10ES2, but before that

 

I found a oDac and Matrix M Stage to add a nice bit of bass, although eq is the best way to go

 

and remember to EQ down not up! meaning, eq everything BUT the bass down 3 that is the most quality preserving way to EQ. Ofc you would then increase the volume to enjoy the increase in bass 

post #4864 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 

 

I've already posted that FR graph and there are several ways to interpret it. If you're only talking "trebly", yes, the 600 ohm would seem to be the least bright (although that graph doesn't really line up with Headroom's). But you could also say that the 600 ohm has a rather bad suckout centered on 4khz, a very sensitive area of the frequency range. The thing is, that peak starting at 5khz is relatively easy to get rid of--a simple treble tone control on an integrated will suffice--whereas I'm not sure a suckout at 4khz is so easily dealt with. If you're happy with the sound of the 600 ohm go with it, but I wouldn't condemn the 250 ohm on that evidence alone. I had both versions at the same time and chose the 250 ohm, but I'm not prepared to go further with that comparison because the 600 ohm was used and the other new, and earpad fullness can have a large effect. All I can say is that with the 5khz peak largely ironed out, the 250 ohm (Pro in my case) is one hell of a headphone, even to the extent that I've been using it over an HE-500.


Hey this is my biggest fear. I'm going to buy an HE-500 and regret my purchase because I'll find it: (A) not comfortable enough like the DT880's eargasm pillows or (B) too much bass will swallow treble. I am a treblehead too. (C) not worth the money paying way more than DT880 to get minimal increase in performance

 

I am going to a Head-Fi meet in San Diego so I will finally be able to conclude whether I have hit the end of the road until going really into Summit-Fi

post #4865 of 10436

I just read a few reviews of the HE-500 and most tend to agree the HE-500 is close to the LCD-2 in sound signature. I just hope it's the headphone I'm looking for to satisfy my search for a more "musical" headphone with a slightly V-shaped curve. I am planning on using my DT880 for monitoring and mixing and another complimentary headphone for enjoying bassy music like hip-hop and EDM. I just don't want to sacrifice the mids or the treble and I feel like a DT770 would do that to me. Is it justifiable though to move up to Summit-Fi versus a cheaper Beyerdynamic sibling that could accomplish this thirst for excess bass?

post #4866 of 10436

Hi guys! what do you think about upgrading to Jmoney pads? do the really add some bass especially sub-bass?

post #4867 of 10436

wahsmoh, you need to read my post in the context of two things: a) I'm interested in a neutral phone--no bass/treble emphasis, and b) I listen to classical only.

 

Obviously the DT880 has a treble emphasis but, as stated, it's fairly easily dealt with. Other than that it's remarkably balanced. It doesn't have the ultra smoothness of the orthos--there's some grain present as in all dynamic phones--and it doesn't have the bass extension. Other than that it sounds to me more like music, or at least classical music. To me the HE-500 felt like it had holes in the FR. Sometimes it felt a little over-sharp, sometimes dull depending on the recording. Lack of consistency is a sure sign there's something not quite right. Now jerg has done some mods that apparently improves the HE-500 considerably, so that would be worth investigating. I just wasn't prepared to start modding a $700 phone, especially when a $250 one was more satisfying to me on most material.

 

The HE-500 will never be anywhere near as comfortable as the DT880. It's just too much of a brick.

post #4868 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

wahsmoh, you need to read my post in the context of two things: a) I'm interested in a neutral phone--no bass/treble emphasis, and b) I listen to classical only.

Obviously the DT880 has a treble emphasis but, as stated, it's fairly easily dealt with. Other than that it's remarkably balanced. It doesn't have the ultra smoothness of the orthos--there's some grain present as in all dynamic phones--and it doesn't have the bass extension. Other than that it sounds to me more like music, or at least classical music. To me the HE-500 felt like it had holes in the FR. Sometimes it felt a little over-sharp, sometimes dull depending on the recording. Lack of consistency is a sure sign there's something not quite right. Now jerg has done some mods that apparently improves the HE-500 considerably, so that would be worth investigating. I just wasn't prepared to start modding a $700 phone, especially when a $250 one was more satisfying to me on most material.

The HE-500 will never be anywhere near as comfortable as the DT880. It's just too much of a brick.

Same here... I do find that he400/he500 are poorly design as far as comfort goes. I was annoyed after 1/2 hr.
Edited by dyang - 10/10/13 at 9:37pm
post #4869 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
 

wahsmoh, you need to read my post in the context of two things: a) I'm interested in a neutral phone--no bass/treble emphasis, and b) I listen to classical only.

 

Obviously the DT880 has a treble emphasis but, as stated, it's fairly easily dealt with. Other than that it's remarkably balanced. It doesn't have the ultra smoothness of the orthos--there's some grain present as in all dynamic phones--and it doesn't have the bass extension. Other than that it sounds to me more like music, or at least classical music. To me the HE-500 felt like it had holes in the FR. Sometimes it felt a little over-sharp, sometimes dull depending on the recording. Lack of consistency is a sure sign there's something not quite right. Now jerg has done some mods that apparently improves the HE-500 considerably, so that would be worth investigating. I just wasn't prepared to start modding a $700 phone, especially when a $250 one was more satisfying to me on most material.

 

The HE-500 will never be anywhere near as comfortable as the DT880. It's just too much of a brick.

I see where you're coming from. Well I listen to just about everything which is why I feel like the DT880s don't do anything wrong at all. I just want something with a fun sounding curve to it like a subwoofer. I knew the DT880 couldn't be beat in comfort. You seemed to confirm that the HE-500 is a heavy pair of earphones

post #4870 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post

I just read a few reviews of the HE-500 and most tend to agree the HE-500 is close to the LCD-2 in sound signature. I just hope it's the headphone I'm looking for to satisfy my search for a more "musical" headphone with a slightly V-shaped curve. I am planning on using my DT880 for monitoring and mixing and another complimentary headphone for enjoying bassy music like hip-hop and EDM. I just don't want to sacrifice the mids or the treble and I feel like a DT770 would do that to me. Is it justifiable though to move up to Summit-Fi versus a cheaper Beyerdynamic sibling that could accomplish this thirst for excess bass?
Have you considered the DT990s? DT990 Pros are only $150 new on Amazon. It's a V-shaped 880. More bass and more treble. If you find it too harsh, you can EQ it or add felt to the front of the driver. The DT770 varies. Some of the models are bass light but some are bass heavy. It's very inconsistent even among the same sets. DT990 is a safer bet.
post #4871 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

Have you considered the DT990s? DT990 Pros are only $150 new on Amazon. It's a V-shaped 880. More bass and more treble. If you find it too harsh, you can EQ it or add felt to the front of the driver. The DT770 varies. Some of the models are bass light but some are bass heavy. It's very inconsistent even among the same sets. DT990 is a safer bet.

agreed. I ran a 880 n 990 combo for a while. One was bass heavy n fun the other trabsparent n balanced
post #4872 of 10436
I'm looking to get a dt880 600 ohm.

What's the deal with Pro and Premium? Any sonic differences, or is it just cosmetic?
post #4873 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post

I'm looking to get a dt880 600 ohm.

What's the deal with Pro and Premium? Any sonic differences, or is it just cosmetic?

Yes there is ONE sonic Differance

 

also do NOT buy the 600 ohm UNLESS you are planning to use it with a High Voltage Amp SUCH as a balanced Amp or most Tube and Hybrid Tube amps

 

that said, the Pro has more bass, and the Pro has more bass because the Pro HeadBand has more clamp. There is a Pro 600 ohm [which I wish I had honestly] 

 

That and I do like a oh wait mines recabled, nvm 

post #4874 of 10436

I running my DT880 Premium 600 from my NFB-15.32 and it works great, so I don't see why you have to use a Tube or hybrid amp.

post #4875 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post
 

I running my DT880 Premium 600 from my NFB-15.32 and it works great, so I don't see why you have to use a Tube or hybrid amp.

Yea an Audio GD amp is pretty powerful. 3w at 35ohms for a Single End is pretty good, still the 600 ohm is best for amps that put out a lot of power. Like the AGD Balanced amps. I would still say a Pro 250 is better for SE amps and most solid states, as you get a portable can and home to use at home 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread