Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 313

post #4681 of 7811
What's your budget? Ranging from Cheap to expensive... Objective2, Lake People G103s, G109, Vioelectric V200. That's about as far as I've researched on for something neutral and transparent with gobs of voltage output.
post #4682 of 7811

Arecibo just messaged me and offered to sell the 250 ohm premiums for $180. I am VERY tempted. Gonna audition some at my local shop today just to see how they sound/feel again. Is there a huge difference between these and the 600 ohm? Or even a small difference? Again, I AM A NEUTRALITY FREAK. If you were a freak about fidelity like me, would you pull the trigger?

 

I'm a broke-bum (watching my language) student and decisions like this are HUGE for me. 

 

Thoughts??!! 

 

PS: I am thinking I will pair these with the o2 + odac (or CDAC from Audio Poutine). 

 

 

 

I am so excited!!!!! :gs1000smile:

post #4683 of 7811
There's a minuscule amount of difference and only if you have a high volt output OTL. For the most part, you won't even notice it then unless you were looking for it sooo

TL;DR - Don't worry about 250 vs 600. wink.gif
post #4684 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer View Post
 

Hello, I'm a relatively new 880/600 owner. I'm driving them mostly with the headphone-out in my Oppo105, which sounds considerably better than the LDIII (with upgraded tubes) that I also own. Don't get me wrong; I like the LDIII. In some ways, a lot. It sounds great with 990pros on my desk playing Spotify. I ordered a Black Cube clone from China to play with, but I would like to find a dedicated head amp that I could include in my main system, whose level of transparency equals that of the 105. Love the cans, BTW!

 

Sounds like you might prefer a solid state amp. Checkout the Lake People G103 and G109. Tons of power, neutral and transparent, and reasonably priced.

post #4685 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 

Arecibo just messaged me and offered to sell the 250 ohm premiums for $180. I am VERY tempted. Gonna audition some at my local shop today just to see how they sound/feel again. Is there a huge difference between these and the 600 ohm? Or even a small difference? Again, I AM A NEUTRALITY FREAK. If you were a freak about fidelity like me, would you pull the trigger?

 

I'm a broke-bum (watching my language) student and decisions like this are HUGE for me. 

 

Thoughts??!! 

 

PS: I am thinking I will pair these with the o2 + odac (or CDAC from Audio Poutine). 

 

 

 

I am so excited!!!!! :gs1000smile:

 

The 600 and 250 ohm versions are essentially identical. Some have reported the 600 ohm being very slightly smoother in the highs. If you're looking for neutrality the 880 is a good choice.


FWIW, if it were me, I would spend $40 more for brand new (Pro version):

 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B1QENY


Edited by devhen - 9/27/13 at 11:36am
post #4686 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 

Arecibo just messaged me and offered to sell the 250 ohm premiums for $180. I am VERY tempted. Gonna audition some at my local shop today just to see how they sound/feel again. Is there a huge difference between these and the 600 ohm? Or even a small difference? Again, I AM A NEUTRALITY FREAK. If you were a freak about fidelity like me, would you pull the trigger?

 

I'm a broke-bum (watching my language) student and decisions like this are HUGE for me. 

 

Thoughts??!! 

 

PS: I am thinking I will pair these with the o2 + odac (or CDAC from Audio Poutine). 

 

 

 

I am so excited!!!!! :gs1000smile:

 

The difference between 600 ohm vs 250 ohm is going to be pretty small, if anything. This InnerFidelity article has some good information and impressions about that issue.

 

The DT880 is most certainly in the neutral camp, toward the brighter end. They don't add coloration in the mids or bass and are not euphonic in any sense. This doesn't mean that they're dull or uninteresting, unless one is looking for a specific signature. Since you've emphasized that you're looking for neutrality, they should be right up your street. As a consequence of their lack of overt coloration, the DT880 has excellent genre coverage and would make a great all arounder.

 

I searched for quite a while before I got my DT880 because I, like you, was ultimately looking for neutrality. I tried the V-shaped thing (M50) and the euphonic, colored sound thing (Grado), and while I liked the latter better than the former, it just didn't work well for all of my music. The DT880 did, and I've had it for almost three years now and have never regretted getting it.

post #4687 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post
 

 

The difference between 600 ohm vs 250 ohm is going to be pretty small, if anything. This InnerFidelity article has some good information and impressions about that issue.

 

The DT880 is most certainly in the neutral camp, toward the brighter end. They don't add coloration in the mids or bass and are not euphonic in any sense. This doesn't mean that they're dull or uninteresting, unless one is looking for a specific signature. Since you've emphasized that you're looking for neutrality, they should be right up your street. As a consequence of their lack of overt coloration, the DT880 has excellent genre coverage and would make a great all arounder.

 

I searched for quite a while before I got my DT880 because I, like you, was ultimately looking for neutrality. I tried the V-shaped thing (M50) and the euphonic, colored sound thing (Grado), and while I liked the latter better than the former, it just didn't work well for all of my music. The DT880 did, and I've had it for almost three years now and have never regretted getting it.

 

agreed. I've told you guys my w1000x has that Beyer Nuetrality now but that's after a good bit of mods, and about twice the cost :O

 

Point in case the dt 880 is a steal! Not to mention it sounds good on anything, the w1000x is getting picky about her amps now that's she's modded 100% 

post #4688 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post
 

 

The 600 and 250 ohm versions are essentially identical. Some have reported the 600 ohm being very slightly smoother in the highs. If you're looking for neutrality the 880 is a good choice.


FWIW, if it were me, I would spend $40 more for brand new (Pro version):

 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B1QENY

 

I would, but I have only worn the premium version and I don't want to experience any more clamping force. Furthermore, I am a vegetarian, and involved in animal rights activism, and as such cannot purchase something first-hand that has leather (the case has leather). 

 

Thanks for pointing me in the direction anyways! I really appreciate your good intentions there. :) 

 

 

I was listening to them double-amped (unfortunately) through a Fiio 12 and wasn't a huge fan of the sound, but I am aware the E12 is known as being warm, and I found it too warm. I look forward to a crisp presentation coming from the Objective 2. I almost found the cans boring and lifeless, but not really. They just have no flare, and that's a good thing. 

 

The only thing I didn't like as much about them is that they didn't sound as "fast" or snappy. My KRK KNS 8400 almost seemed snappier. Or is that just the Fiio 12 amp colouring my sound negatively again? 

 

Anyways, I'm pulling the trigger.

post #4689 of 7811

I think you'll find that the DT880 might be slightly underwhelming at first, as you experienced, but that ultimately this is a good thing. That's pretty much exactly how I felt about them the first time I heard them, except I didn't really find them overall warm. I was surprised at the upper bass/lower midrange, which has a very slight rise (maybe 2 dB at the absolute most) that keeps things from sounding too thin. I was honestly expecting brightness monsters with a singular focus on the upper end of the spectrum, and they weren't that at all. I got used to the sound very quickly, and on about the third song I knew I was keeping them. What I noticed after a while is that they never call attention to themselves. I quickly stopped evaluating speed and detail retrieval and instead simply enjoyed how transparent they are. I never got the sense the headphone was holding back the music, nor that it was adding much of its own signature. I've heard headphones (e.g. Grado) that sound "faster" than the DT880, but this is most likely an issue of signature and not raw technical prowess. Grados tend to emphasize the elements of music that convey the pace--the SR225i I once had was the PRaTtiest headphone I've ever heard. The downside is a loss of neutrality and transparency, and that was ultimately why I didn't keep that headphone, despite really liking it for certain genres.

 

I don't know how many of you listen to classical music, but I'll set up an analogy with violinists. Things like Grados and some of the headphones with V-shaped curves are a lot like Itzhak Perlman--showy and effervescent, but you get tired of it after a while, and there are some things (e.g. Bach) where that style just doesn't work. The DT880 is like Henryk Szeryng or Isaac Stern--comparatively reserved, some might even say boring. But they tend to produce a solid, enjoyable performance no matter what they play, and over time (at least in my case) they tend to get a lot more play than Perlman because their style makes them more versatile.

post #4690 of 7811
I'm very noobish in my classical offerings. I didn't even really listen to classical until I started coming on HF and interestingly enough... when I got the DT880s. I find that the 880s made me test out new waters on things that I wouldn't have listen to previously. I've listened to soundtracks mainly and started listening to Nicola Benedetti, mainly because she has a great cover of the Tango that just sounds heavenly. I don't listen to my 880s much since the T90s but, I appreciate where they've lead me to that I'm going to be keeping them around. They still sound awesome and I can't see myself letting them go. dt880smile.png
post #4691 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post

Do the drivers touch your ears? Is there ear space in the cups?

 

mine is on right side only i guess my right EAR is F@#$up LOL.


Edited by i luvmusic 2 - 9/27/13 at 4:39pm
post #4692 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post
 
I would, but I have only worn the premium version and I don't want to experience any more clamping force. Furthermore, I am a vegetarian, and involved in animal rights activism, and as such cannot purchase something first-hand that has leather (the case has leather).

Just got these last week and love them.  Carrying case is nylon (as it says in the amazon link), so no worries.


Edited by ejwiles - 9/27/13 at 4:06pm
post #4693 of 7811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post
 

I think you'll find that the DT880 might be slightly underwhelming at first, as you experienced, but that ultimately this is a good thing. That's pretty much exactly how I felt about them the first time I heard them, except I didn't really find them overall warm. I was surprised at the upper bass/lower midrange, which has a very slight rise (maybe 2 dB at the absolute most) that keeps things from sounding too thin. I was honestly expecting brightness monsters with a singular focus on the upper end of the spectrum, and they weren't that at all. I got used to the sound very quickly, and on about the third song I knew I was keeping them. What I noticed after a while is that they never call attention to themselves. I quickly stopped evaluating speed and detail retrieval and instead simply enjoyed how transparent they are. I never got the sense the headphone was holding back the music, nor that it was adding much of its own signature. I've heard headphones (e.g. Grado) that sound "faster" than the DT880, but this is most likely an issue of signature and not raw technical prowess. Grados tend to emphasize the elements of music that convey the pace--the SR225i I once had was the PRaTtiest headphone I've ever heard. The downside is a loss of neutrality and transparency, and that was ultimately why I didn't keep that headphone, despite really liking it for certain genres.

 

I don't know how many of you listen to classical music, but I'll set up an analogy with violinists. Things like Grados and some of the headphones with V-shaped curves are a lot like Itzhak Perlman--showy and effervescent, but you get tired of it after a while, and there are some things (e.g. Bach) where that style just doesn't work. The DT880 is like Henryk Szeryng or Isaac Stern--comparatively reserved, some might even say boring. But they tend to produce a solid, enjoyable performance no matter what they play, and over time (at least in my case) they tend to get a lot more play than Perlman because their style makes them more versatile.

 

 

You've pretty much nailed the 880 here. I was an HD650 user and hadn't really considered Beyer. I had an LCD-2 (R1)  and ultimately sold it due to lack of treble. Tried the HE-500 but just couldn't come to terms with what I perceived as ringing and a rather weird FR. Thought I'd try the 880-600 but couldn't find a pair at a reasonable price so ordered the Pro, not really expecting much at the price ($250). In the meantime a used 880-600 came up and I grabbed it. When the Pro arrived first I wasn't that interested--in fact I considered re-selling it without even opening the box. Luckily I decided to try it and instantly thought, "What's this!" Balance, Neutrality. Just the music and nothing added but a bit of treble sparkle. And for $250? Seemed almost too good to be true (still does). When the 880-600 arrived I was actually kind of disappointed as it seemed thinner and less satisfying somehow (worn earpads maybe?). Anyway I ended up re-selling it and keeping the Pro, and I've been marvelling at what incredible value it is ever since.

 

For classical, anyway. This is the thing: most classical lovers are looking for neutrality. If they're not they're crazy. Lovers of more popular styles may very well be underwhelmed. I can certainly hear what people mean when they say the 880 is sterile and boring. It really does add very little, and if the recording is unimpressive it won't make it otherwise. Most headphones add their signature; the 880 (almost) doesn't. This can be disconcerting. If you've grown used to a certain recording on, say, an HD650, the 880 can make you feel there are holes in the FR. Where's the warmth, the punch and definition in the midrange, the charm? Yet listen to the 880 with a mental comparison of a live concert rather than some other headphone and you start to get what the Beyer is all about. If you're after a reasonable facsimile of what's on the recording, maybe not with the total lack of grain and fabulous definition of the flagships but still with an amazing realism on any decent recording, then the 880 is astonishing value.


Edited by pp312 - 9/28/13 at 3:48am
post #4694 of 7811
Been awhile since I've listened to my 880pro, they're currently on the classifieds. I'm very pleased of it as my first hp and probably ought to feel it again after I've heavly listened to Shure SRH1440 which lacks the bass but does the mids and highs quite well, although a bit on the bright side.

Although my newly acquired HE400 planar magnetic takes the cake for overall sound. I'll reevaluate my 880s but in the mean time they're on the selling block.
post #4695 of 7811

Man, I'm looking to get the DT 880s (250ohm) on Amazon.  the Pro was listed at $241 or something, and the Premium was $241.  I was going to get the Premium for the straight cable, and the less clamping force.  Well now a day later it looks like Amazon only has the Premium for $341 :basshead:  I figured I'd rather get the straight cable, then  braid the cable to shorten it, and still have the option of extending the cable should I need.  I just didn't want a coiled cable to be stretched differently in different places, leaving it looking worn and old.  I'll have to look back in the next day or two.  Maybe just go with the Pros.  I know I can just stretch the Pros a little to relieve the clamping pressure, but really it's more about the cable for me.  Never had a coiled cable and not sure if I'd like it.  I'll be running the DT 880s (250ohm) out of an Rockboxed iPod 5.5g (iMod modification), and through a Fiio E17.  Also out of a NuForce u-DAC2 for my laptop.

 

Maybe my eyes have been playing pricing tricks on me. :confused_face(1): 


Edited by DR650SE - 9/27/13 at 10:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread